Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

They dumped Garcon for Terrell Pryor.  How'd that turn out?  Thompson is not now, and never was, the starting RB.  He's a very good player in his "Leon Washington" scat back role.   I wish the Jets had him instead of Powell.  But don't make him out to be the end all.  Doing so only just supports the idea that the Redskins offensive roster was abysmal.  Reed has played in fewer than 50% of the games Cousins has started.  Doctson is complete bust so far. Crowder is a JAG. Jackson and Garcon were released and the Cousin's 8-9 wins dropped  to 7.  The OL isn't very good.  Seriously, if you think the Redskins roster is all that better than the Jets, then you are delusional.

All this post tells me is that you’re terrible at assessing talent.

Let’s stick to the Cousins subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thumb Down 1

31 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

What we should have done is fired Bowles and Mac, and let the new regime pick a QB and develop one. Then use the cap space to put pieces around the QB to help him develop and become successful, with smart contracts. Getting good young players.

The Cousins model is the only outcome that could come out of Bowles and Mac, who have ignored the QB position for the first 3 years outside of drafting Hackenberg and Petty.

You don't go into year 4, with 2 of 3 losing seasons, developing a young QB. This regime is clueless, and we will essentially be locking up 5 years of this hoping to sneak into the playoffs if we get no injuries and all breaks right, with a  first round bounce.

I disagree completely with your plan.  Attracting good FA's around a rookie QB is naive.  The good FA's are not going to take our money.  We'll only end up with a bunch of overpaid, middle-tier, Skriners like before.

First you get the QB... then you get the power.. and then, you get the Free Agents.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

21 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Just because the media is saying this the sheep believe it, it’s utter nonsense, Cousins is no better then any of the 3 Minnesota QB’s when they are healthy period stop!  Stop being a sheep, understand the NFL, the NFL media, and the NFL players all want you to think every single little thing happening is new, and unheard of don’t stop tuning in, don’t stop clicking my articles, don’t stop listening to my podcasts, don’t stop driving up the price on my unwanted by his former team mediocre QB that I want to get 30+ million a year for to get rich off of.  Use your brain think for yourself don’t let them tell you what to believe, and think.

I'm just looking at Cousins' stats.  

You happen to think Cousins = Bridgewater, Keenum & Bradford.  I don't... because none of them put up three consecutive statistical seasons like Cousins just did.  29-year-old quarterbacks that put together three seasons like that never become free agents.  

Washington f***ed up... lets profit from it.  

16 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Optimism as a fan is relative and individual I suppose. For me, I am interested in a championship, everything else is blah. So I want to see a regime that has a plan, and the ability to win a SB, or I want them gone. Some fans are happy with competitive seasons. I am not if they aren't in what I believe to be a path towards a SB. But I do get that not everyone shares my approach.

For any chance at a championship, we need a quarterback. 

The draft has some good prospects, but there are three teams ahead of us that need quarterbacks.  

Cousins seems the most logical option to pursue presently.  

• Sympathy 3
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Optimism as a fan is relative and individual I suppose. For me, I am interested in a championship, everything else is blah. 

This is worthy of it's own thread.  I'll take a winning and entertaining season as more than blah.   

AFC Champ loss > blah

10 win Fitz season and beating NE at home > blah

last year = blah

6 minutes ago, dcJet said:

last year = blah

last year was worse than blan.  It was yuck.

My theory is that our first 8 opponents had game plans drawn up based on no Kearse/Ealy, a completely useless McCown and a broken ASJ.  Most NFL coaches are not dynamic or flexible.   They "hid" McCown in the preseason.

The Jets then were able to sneak up on teams and win a bunch of early games.  What did that get us?  drafting 4 picks later than we should be.   Bellichick and the rest of the league eventually caught on, and the party was over.

That should have gotten MacBowles fired, not extended.  The conversation should have been let us do a proper tank in 2018, be in a position to draft Darnold or Rosen, and then we can start building.  Instead we are where we are.

6 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I'm just looking at Cousins' stats.  

You happen to think Cousins = Bridgewater, Keenum & Bradford.  I don't... because none of them put up three consecutive statistical seasons like Cousins just did.  29-year-old quarterbacks that put together three seasons like Cousins' never become free agents.  

Washington f***ed up... lets profit from it.  

For any chance at a championship, we need a quarterback. 

The draft has some good prospects, but there are three teams ahead of us that need quarterbacks.  

Cousins seems the most logical option to pursue presently.  

How can Jet fans not understand this? Lmao! There are players like Von Miller tweeting for Cousins to come to their team! Please tell me the last time you've seen that by A SUPER BOWL MVP? Not since an injured Brees has better ready made 29 year old QB come available in free agency because his team completely blew it & alienated their starting QB! They just franchised him 2 f*cking years & a zillion dollars because they thought he sucked? How can fans be so stupid? I would be PISSED if we weren't in the Kirk Cousins lottery with maybe 100 million to spend! If we sign Cousins, get a Center, Guard, RB, OLB, CB, WR with the rest of our free agent money & high draft picks, we will definitely have a chance to get a wildcard spot NEXT YEAR! If we draft a QB at 6, resign McCown, we're lucky to go 8-8, and considering McCown has won 7 games in 3 years that being pretty optimistic that he even lasts a season at his age. Disparaging Cousins play the last 3 years is ridiculous, with 3 years under his belt Cousins is literally hitting his prime. God I hope we get him.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Kirk Cousins is not worth the money he is going to be paid. and he certainly isn't worth guaranteeing the money 

It's fine though. The Jets stink. They will continue to stink with Neil Odonnell part II. That's what they do. 

This scenario where the Jets make prudent signings and smart draft picks, that's not our team you guys. 

The Jets are the laughing stock. They are the jobbers who wrestle the champ on Saturday morning, not on PPV. 

They can re arrange the deck chairs on the titanic anyway they want the ship is still going to the bottom of the ocean

Give it to us straight Bit. We can take it. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Jetster said:

How can Jet fans not understand this? Lmao! There are players like Von Miller tweeting for Cousins to come to their team! Please tell me the last time you've seen that by A SUPER BOWL MVP? Not since an injured Brees has better ready made 29 year old QB come available in free agency because his team completely blew it & alienated their starting QB! They just franchised him 2 f*cking years & a zillion dollars because they thought he sucked? How can fans be so stupid? I would be PISSED if we weren't in the Kirk Cousins lottery with maybe 100 million to spend! If we sign Cousins, get a Center, Guard, RB, OLB, CB, WR with the rest of our free agent money & high draft picks, we will definitely have a chance to get a wildcard spot NEXT YEAR! If we draft a QB at 6, resign McCown, we're lucky to go 8-8, and considering McCown has won 7 games in 3 years that being pretty optimistic that he even lasts a season at his age. Disparaging Cousins play the last 3 years is ridiculous, with 3 years under his belt Cousins is literally hitting his prime. God I hope we get him.

I agree with you on Cousins but on the rest I'm-a-pass. 

I've got no interest in filling six holes after signing Cousins via free agency all in the same offseason.  I'm good with signing a guard or a center in addition to Cousins, but I'm not blowing all my resources in one offseason.  

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I agree with you on Cousins but on the rest I'm-a-pass. 

I've got no interest in filling six holes after signing Cousins via free agency all in the same offseason.  I'm good with signing a guard or a center in addition to Cousins, but I'm not blowing all my resources in one offseason.  

I said in free agency & the draft regarding the other positions. RB definitely in the draft, maybe Nelson, maybe Minkah, maybe one of the best OLBs? Having 3 picks in the top 50, and what we need at positions should match up quite well with BPA. 

On the bright side, we only have to endure this strife for another 3 weeks or so... then it'll be all over.

Man... if you look back at all the times we've had some contentious forum activity, it's always been this QB thing. The Penningtologists, Sanchez, Geno/Fitz -- it's always been a fcking circus. 

We need to get this QB thing sorted out. 

• Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I said in free agency & the draft regarding the other positions. RB definitely in the draft, maybe Nelson, maybe Minkah, maybe one of the best OLBs? Having 3 picks in the top 50, and what we need at positions should match up quite well with BPA. 

This team has many holes.  Sign a QB and they should be able to fill 3 in the draft.  That is four holes.  Maybe a few more in round 1 FA.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Just because the media is saying this the sheep believe it, it’s utter nonsense, Cousins is no better then any of the 3 Minnesota QB’s when they are healthy period stop!  

no.  you stop.  The above is purely opinion and is in no way a fact. Yet you argue as though it is.  IMO (O = opinion) Cousins is both better and a safer bet than Keenum, Bridgewater (who never was very good before he shredded every part of his knee), or Bradford (who can't stay on the field).   Man, you can't recite your opinion and then proceed with your argument based on the presumption your opinion is right.  We simply disagree about the skill set and talent level of Cousins.  That's it.  I'm fine with agreeing to disagree with that.  If you liked him more than you do now, then the money wouldn't be an issue.  If I didn't like Cousins as a franchise caliber QB, I wouldn't want him here just like you don't.  So that's where the disagreement both starts and ends: our evaluation of Cousins as a potential franchise QB.  

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

On the bright side, we only have to endure this strife for another 3 weeks or so... then it'll be all over.

Man... if you look back at all the times we've had some contentious forum activity, it's always been this QB thing. The Penningtologists, Sanchez, Geno/Fitz -- it's always been a fcking circus. 

We need to get this QB thing sorted out. 

Is there any reasonable explanation why the NFL makes everyone wait for an artificial 6 weeks to start free agency?  Why not have the league year begin the 2nd or 3rd Monday after the Superbowl?  Does this 5 week delay somehow get them more clicks???  What benefit does a 5-6 week delay bestow upon the league?

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Is there any reasonable explanation why the NFL makes everyone wait for an artificial 6 weeks to start free agency?  Why not have the league year begin the 2nd or 3rd Monday after the Superbowl?  Does this 5 week delay somehow get them more clicks???  What benefit does a 5-6 week delay bestow upon the league?

A breather

1 hour ago, jetgreen13 said:

i/we have watch the jets load up the defensive side of the ball with the lion's share of the talent for 20+ years.. a handful have been very good, if not special.. & even the "very good" jet defenses have always struggled on getting off the field when it really mattered.. most, by my estimation, have under achieved & some have been inexcusably bad given the talent..

in this day & age, the way to consistently beat passing teams is to become one yourselves.. that ain't happening with bowles.. obviously..

since when does ball control equal defensive prowness?  it doesn't except that the offenses and defenses are intertwined so you can have the best defense and still lose because the offense can't run the ball and conversely.  it's the whole argument about being a one dimensional team.  one dimensional teams get beat. 

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I think it's probably a mesh of personnel staff wanting a couple weeks vaca after grinding out the season well in january. That coupled with agents and staff having a month or so hammer out post-season deals, etc. I think Managers would feel rushed having making decisions that fast. 

• Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I just looked this up. This the the final year of Leonard Williams’ rookie contract and if the Jet want to apply the fifth year option, they have to give him somewhere in the neighborhood of $12 mil for 2019. Perhaps @Sperm Edwards can confirm. 

It’ll probably be a few million more than that.

5th year options for 1st rounders get divided up in 2 ways: by position, and whether a pick was between 1-10 or between 11-32. Williams (#6 overall) was in the 1-10 range, which means his tag # will be the same as the transition tag amount (average of the top 10 highest from the prior season). They do distinguish between DEs and DTs, but not 3-4 DEs and 4-3 DEs. (Oddly enough, though, all OLmen are treated equally, which is why you’ll rarely see anyone other than a LT get tagged). 

The 2017 tags for DE went to Clowney (#1 overall) and Mack (#5), at $13.8m. So take that number and add 2 more years’ inflation, whatever that’ll be. For comparison, a year earlier Ansah’s tag was $1.1m less, at $12.7. Don’t automatically guess a linear increase, though, since it depends on the new contracts given to veterans. Look at the 2016 top-10 DE contracts and see which ones got bumped out by 2017 and those that’ll further get bumped out by 2018 FA contracts (e.g. Casey, Griffen, & Campbell at ~$15m apiece last year to bump off mere $9m-11m ends, plus whatever other DE deals are inked next month). There are a couple of $12m ones in there right now (Tuitt, Hicks) that could lose their place in the top 10. At the same time, you’ll have to remove the biggest one because we’re cutting Mo and his $17m/year contract will therefore be gone. I don’t know that there’ll be any new $17m DE contracts signed this year, so one of those $12m deals will replace Mo’s $17m in the top 10, effectively lowering Leo’s tag # by $500K ($5m divided by 10).

A safe guess is it’ll probably be around $15m, give or take, for Leo’s 5th year option.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Vacations.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

since when does ball control equal defensive prowness?. it doesn't except that the offenses and defenses are intertwined so you can have the best defense and still lose because the offense can't run the ball and conversely.  it's the whole argument about being a one dimensional team.  one dimensional teams get beat. 

go on about ball control as much as you like, the jets needs cousins dramatically more than he needs them..

& good luck selling him on coming here to no longer put up big numbers just to watch  bowles being whatever the hell he is as a HC..

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Cousins is both better and a safer bet than Keenum, Bridgewater (who never was very good before he shredded every part of his knee), or Bradford

Pot meat kettle the above is YOUR opinion don’t ******* come on here and try to lecture me about my opinion, and then push yours as fact **** off you self righteous........

I have said this was happening for months.  Neither Mac or Bowles, anywhere they have been, besides david carr, have been willing to invest or play a high drafted qb.  Their emtire history has been signings or trades.  I get that they werent making all the decisions but nothing in their background says first round rookie qb.  They are going all in on cousins, and they will do the same with leveon bell if he isnt franchised.  Im saying 6 years 180 mil for cousins and 6 years 90 million for bell. 

I get wanting to go after Cousins. I could even see guaranteeing the first couple of years and a chunk of money after. But you need an out - ESPECIALLY because if/when this ends up being the disaster it's shaping up to be the replacement is going to be saddled with a huge contract to deal with.

8 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I’m looking at his record 25-30-1 no thanks for 30+ million, and/or full guaranteed stats mean sh*t.

He's 24-23-1 the past three seasons (the seasons where he was the starter from day 1 of training camp). 

Nobody is saying that's a spectacular record... but nobody is calling him A Rodge or Brady either; this is free agency we're talking about - everyone gets overpaid. 

We're about to have a hundred million in cap space and we're not going to have our choice at QB prospects come late April with three teams picking ahead of us in need of quarterbacks too.  This is our best shot at locking down the most important position in the sport for the next half-decade.