Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

Just now, Jetster said:

What a great point. Proof positive that the Redskins defense blows chunks. LAST in the NFC in points allowed! Let me add to this, because what it tells you is that there was added pressure to score on every drive, or your team is always playing from behind. 

As Jet fans, we all understand the dynamic of playing from behind. It's like trying to go up the down escalator. Teams blitz more, CBs jump more routes, DCs start dialing up more pressure everywhere. Based on what you've posted, Cousins stats are actually much more impressive. With Cousins at QB the redskins MOVE THE BALL. I just get so excited imagining this guy, with Jensen at Center & Norwell or Nelson at guard, Sony Michel in the backfield, Kearse, Enunwa, Burton & Robinson or Landry at WR. ASJ, Anderson, Stewart, Hansen, Powell, McGuire, all playing roles.

I just added more about the disparity between run and pass for Washington last year. Defense blows chunks, but the running game was pretty paltry too.

Someone said earlier in this thread that Washington minus Cousins = bottom 5 team last year. I am inclined to agree. It'll be very interesting to see how Smith gets on there next year.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, varjet said:

This is the problem.

Cleveland is not trading the number 1 pick.

The Giants are not trading it to the Jets.  They may already be planning on settling for Rosen if need be.

That leaves Mayfield and Allen at 3.  How much to you trade to pick one of them?

Good question.......

Especially when we could have had Mahomes last year, while not risking draft picks. 

See if we give up draft picks to get someone not named Rosen, then it compounds last year’s moves.  

9 hours ago, varjet said:

This is the problem.

Cleveland is not trading the number 1 pick.

The Giants are not trading it to the Jets.  They may already be planning on settling for Rosen if need be.

That leaves Mayfield and Allen at 3.  How much to you trade to pick one of them?

Yup.  We are in no man's land in the draft.  Either we have to give up a ransom to move up, sit at 6 and take whoever falls into our laps, or take a second tier prospect in R2 or 3..  Even if we do move up, we are not likely getting higher than 3, maybe 2 since the Giants appear to be listening to offers, but that seems like a longshot.  Moving up is all well and good if the guy we want falls to 3, but you don't make a move like that to "settle" for the 3rd guy on your board.

And, can't you just see this happening: we give up next year's one in a package to move up to 3.  We take Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen, etc.   Our guy throws 25 picks next year, we go 2-14, earn the #1 pick in 2019 and it goes to the Colts. 

We have several options, but none of them appear to be very good: overpay Cousins, overpay to move up in the draft, stay at 6 and take QB4, or take a tier 2 veteran in free agency (Keenum/McCarron, etc.).

Given the options, I would rather just take advantage of our cap space, try to bring in Cousins and keep our picks.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

6 hours ago, hawk said:

The Browns are in position for a maddenesque type of off season.  They have an absurd amount of money and high draft picks.  

I could see them, not saying they will,  going all in for Kirk Cousins.  They could take the best player available or have the flexibilty of getting a kings ransom for the #1 overall pick.  Sign Cousins, Use #1 and 4 to add strong supporting players, which should be major contributors, and turn there team around in one year.

Just food for thought.

Agreed.  The Browns are in great position to transform their roster in one offseason.  And if we can't get Cousins, then hopefully he goes either to the Browns or Broncos which makes it a little more likely we can get our guy in the draft.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Snyder took the losing side (RG3), because he's a meddling POS, and was LOVING the attention RG3 was bringing to the organization. RG3 was a Super Nova that Snyder tied himself to that burnt out as fast as came on the scene. 

Shannahan knew he had a better QB in Kirk but because Snyder is a meddling idiot they literally took sides and that is where the animosity between both Shannahan & Kirk came into play against Snyder. Then, Snyder fires Shannahan. Kirk always had a chip on his shoulder after that & it played out with his "YOU LIKE THAT!" Moment. Like Sanchez, Kirk lost all his binkies in 2017, and was playing with a whole new cast of characters. Garçon & Jackson were gone, he lost all 3 of his RBs, he played behind the 2nd most shuffled Oline behind Seattle (without the running skills of Russell Wilson), and his go to TE Reed was injured all year.

Kirk wanted out, and Snyder & the GM knew it. Kirk was not open to mending fences, he's to genuine and Snyder cut the cord. We now have a chance to sign him. I'll be very upset if we're not in the running. I'll be ecstatic if we somehow land him. From Sanchez, to Geno, to Fitz, to McCown, and then finally to Kirk Cousins? Maybe, just maybe, the NY Jets finally got a lucky break. This isn't like signing a washed up Leonard Marshall, Ronnie Lott, or even Darrelle Revis. This is signing a legitimate starting QB that walks into camp, demands everyone's attention & will be the best QB this franchise has had since Favre showed up in 2008. The biggest difference being we all knew Favre RELUCTANTLY came to NY, whereas if Cousins signs here, this is where he wants to be for the second act of his NFL career & it won't be for 1 year.

Very good post. Kinda how I watched it unfold here. Skins not letting him go because they doubt his skills, skins letting him go because Snyder messed it all up when RGIII tanked.

It’s impressive Kirk played well after last years shuffeling.. Guy is a good QB and should only get better surrounded by a team that’s “his” and ownership that wants him. “ Show Kirk the Money!” 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I would never be in favor of giving out a fully guaranteed deal but Cousins is a good QB.  The only year they had a losing record w/ him was this season and w/ very little help they still finished 7-9.  he's only started for 3 years and he has led them to the playoffs.

In the 3 years he's been a full time starter he has a record above .500 and he's started every game of those 3 seasons so he has proven to be durable.

2015: led O to 22.4 PPG

2016: led O to 24.3 PPG

2017: led O to 20.5 PPG

in 3 full seasons he has led his O's to 22.4 PPG which is a pretty good #.  People on here call Eli Manning a HOFer yet in a playoff year w/ Odell Beckham he led his O to about 17 PPG in 2016. In our 2015 season where our offense set records we averaged 24.2 PPG. 

I do NOT want to give him a fully guaranteed deal but he is a good QB in this league.  I would like him at the right price.

Jets won’t have to give a fully guaranteed contract. $75 mil probably gets the job done

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Jets won’t have to give a fully guaranteed contract. $75 mil probably gets the job done

I'd have to imagine that is a 3 year deal and that would be a steal at $25M per year. I think people over blow the "fully guaranteed" part of the discussion in regards to QBs. Let's say his contract was 0% guaranteed but was 5 years $150M, chances are he'll earn $30M a year just by being on the roster. Revis got a fully guaranteed contract already but he didn't play an important enough position to justify $16M per year under a new regime so he was cut with no cap hit.

If we give Kirk a fully guaranteed deal I'd have to imagine it will be comparable to what Tampa did with Revis. I bet we would be locked in for the first 3 years but will be able to cut him after that. We'd be sacrificing a comp 3rd by doing this and I'm fine with that.

20 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

And you think Macc, the guy who drafted Petty and Hackenberg, knows what a good young qb looks like?

No. Someone else would have to tell him. So signing Cousins is a pricey yet reasonable option. Plus take 2-5 years for Bowles to play the rookie over what ever AARP recipient jag QB he brings in to have a mediocre highlight season in his twilight. 

“Todd Bowles making dreams come true for old Jag QBs since 2015”

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Predicts Cousins to Denver but basically says it is a coin flip between them and Jets, also reiterates that it is known league wide NYJ is basically willing to give Cousins blank check

We have all seen this before. His agent will use the desperate Jets to get every dime out of Denver that is possible. In the end McCown just like Sanchez gets a silly frustrating apologetic extension from us. Uggh

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Snyder took the losing side (RG3), because he's a meddling POS, and was LOVING the attention RG3 was bringing to the organization. RG3 was a Super Nova that Snyder tied himself to that burnt out as fast as came on the scene. 

Shannahan knew he had a better QB in Kirk but because Snyder is a meddling idiot they literally took sides and that is where the animosity between both Shannahan & Kirk came into play against Snyder. Then, Snyder fires Shannahan. Kirk always had a chip on his shoulder after that & it played out with his "YOU LIKE THAT!" Moment. Like Sanchez, Kirk lost all his binkies in 2017, and was playing with a whole new cast of characters. Garçon & Jackson were gone, he lost all 3 of his RBs, he played behind the 2nd most shuffled Oline behind Seattle (without the running skills of Russell Wilson), and his go to TE Reed was injured all year.

Kirk wanted out, and Snyder & the GM knew it. Kirk was not open to mending fences, he's to genuine and Snyder cut the cord. We now have a chance to sign him. I'll be very upset if we're not in the running. I'll be ecstatic if we somehow land him. From Sanchez, to Geno, to Fitz, to McCown, and then finally to Kirk Cousins? Maybe, just maybe, the NY Jets finally got a lucky break. This isn't like signing a washed up Leonard Marshall, Ronnie Lott, or even Darrelle Revis. This is signing a legitimate starting QB that walks into camp, demands everyone's attention & will be the best QB this franchise has had since Favre showed up in 2008. The biggest difference being we all knew Favre RELUCTANTLY came to NY, whereas if Cousins signs here, this is where he wants to be for the second act of his NFL career & it won't be for 1 year.

obviously i hope so.  the thing about favre is that he did play hard for the jets.  he could have come in and gone through the motions but he really did want to win.  i also agree on those other free agents.  throw in sam garnes and steve atwater too.  and going back even farther i remember some pretty disastrous trades with new orleans back in the70's.

10 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

We have all seen this before. His agent will use the desperate Jets to get every dime out of Denver that is possible. In the end McCown just like Sanchez gets a silly frustrating apologetic extension from us. Uggh

at this point i agree, i think it's a coin flip.  

the interesting thing will be, if cousins does not come here, what mccagnan does in FA with qbs and then in the draft.  the 'boring' route is if he signs cousins to a mega deal and then drafts nelson, though that may ultimately be better for the team.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jamesr said:

I just added more about the disparity between run and pass for Washington last year. Defense blows chunks, but the running game was pretty paltry too.

Someone said earlier in this thread that Washington minus Cousins = bottom 5 team last year. I am inclined to agree. It'll be very interesting to see how Smith gets on there next year.

Their one, two & three RBs all got injured, the Oline was a mess, Brady fails in that same scenario.

28 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Predicts Cousins to Denver but basically says it is a coin flip between them and Jets, also reiterates that it is known league wide NYJ is basically willing to give Cousins blank check

The fact is that Cousins makes the most sense for the Jets for both good and bad reasons. 

The Jets pick 6th which places them behind 3 teams likely to take a QB so unless they love 4 QBs, going with Cousins makes more sense than reaching for a QB they don't like. 

The Jets can't afford to be giving away multiple picks to move up since they have plenty of wholes to fill. 

The Jets have a Head Coach that seems risk averse and there is nothing more risky than trusting a rookie QB so if you can get a proven franchise QB, I think Bowles will just let Bates/Cousins do whatever it takes to win and we won't see the Jets taking a knee with 50 seconds left in the 2nd quarter the next few years. 

The Jets have the most cap space which gives them the flexibility to fit Cousins in while still using the remaining cap space to long term guys like Leonard Williams and bring in a couple of FAs. 

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

at this point i agree, i think it's a coin flip.  

the interesting thing will be, if cousins does not come here, what mccagnan does in FA with qbs and then in the draft.  the 'boring' route is if he signs cousins to a mega deal and then drafts nelson, though that may ultimately be better for the team.  

I almost think drafting Nelson, if Cousins come here might be discussed or even part of the agreement for Cousins to come here.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The fact is that Cousins makes the most sense for the Jets for both good and bad reasons. 

The Jets pick 6th which places them behind 3 teams likely to take a QB so unless they love 4 QBs, going with Cousins makes more sense than reaching for a QB they don't like. 

The Jets can't afford to be giving away multiple picks to move up since they have plenty of wholes to fill. 

The Jets have a Head Coach that seems risk averse and there is nothing more risky than trusting a rookie QB so if you can get a proven franchise QB, I think Bowles will just let Bates/Cousins do whatever it takes to win and we won't see the Jets taking a knee with 50 seconds left in the 2nd quarter the next few years. 

The Jets have the most cap space which gives them the flexibility to fit Cousins in while still using the remaining cap space to long term guys like Leonard Williams and bring in a couple of FAs. 

i have less of an issue paying money for a qb, then i do about paying cousins specifically b/c of how good he can be, and how good he can be specifically on the jets.

the worst thing the jets can do is pay cousins, then draft defense with 2 of their top 4 picks including the first round.  they can't leave him with nothing around him and think they 'fixed' the offense.

• Upvote 2

Just now, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Kirk Cousins is a legit franchise QB that seems likely to end up on the Jets next year. Any news about him will generate a ton of interest. Should be a fun few weeks leading up to free agency/draft around here. 

I agree that it is a topic well worth exploring...but I dont know if I am ready to say he seems likely to end up here. I have a few cardinals fans for friends and they seem just as sure he will end up there. A few Broncos fans/friends who feel the same way. If you want the guy and you think you have a shot then you tend to see all the benefits of him coming here that of course he has to see and agree with too. Unfortunately, the Jets have been kind of a joke around the league for several years now. This isnt exactly the place free agents are dying to get to, this is more like the team they visit to get the numbers up from their preferred team. 

37 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Losing out on Cousins isn't a huge deal. If we sign him, great. If not, i'm excited to see what QB they draft. Win win!

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i just hope they don't get cousins and then ignore offense.  

That's why it's a silly argument that they're just gonna give Cousins some huge contract and then call it a day as if it solves everything. They know damn well they need to add more pieces.  And I'm sure Cousins himself isn't gonna wanna hinder that. Yes he'll want the a huge chunk but he doesn't wanna cripple the team where he'll have no supporting cast. 

2 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Losing out on Cousins isn't a huge deal. If we sign him, great. If not, i'm excited to see what QB they draft. Win win!

So far we drafted Petty and Hakcenburgh. I have a hard time believing we will make a good pick from our spot and harder time they will commit what they would need to to move up. Without getting Cousins we will end up with an old starting QB and a young guy who will sit on the bench. I don't see them trying to develop a QB who isn't the obvious day 1 starter type.  Without Cousins I think we pretty much mirror next year. I just do. Im sorry.

• Upvote 1

Just now, MDL_JET said:

That's why it's a silly argument that they're just gonna give Cousins some huge contract and then call it a day as if it solves everything. They know damn well they need to add more pieces.  And I'm sure Cousins himself isn't gonna wanna hinder that. Yes he'll want the a huge chunk but he doesn't wanna cripple the team where he'll have no supporting cast. 

i think they know the offense needs a lot of work.  my fear is, they sign cousins and another offensive lineman.  then the drat comes, and a defensive player is sitting there at 6 who mccagnan has as BAP and justifies that.