Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

If we don't get Cousins I'm expecting to re-sign McCown for a year and draft a QB at 6.  I think that would be the perfect situation for any young QB coming in here.  McCown is like a coach on the field but he's not good enough to hold back a young guy if they light it up in camp and show they are ready to play.

Completely agree and think this is the way it will go.  I would rather them sign McCarron, but I'm assuming he thinks he's a starter and will want to go to a team that hands him a guaranteed stating slot with no one nipping at his heels. 

• Upvote 1

Is anyone else a bit nervous that Cousins and McCown share an agent?

The agent knows that he can get $28-30M for Cousins, whether it’s with NYJ, Den, Min, or Cle.

But if Cousins goes to the Jets, McCown is done as a starter in the league and will likely not get any kind of serious offers.

So if the Agent steers Cousins towards Den, or anywhere except NYJ, then he knows the Jets will likely pony up about $8M for McCown.

So the Agent has a chance to get commission on $30M or $38M.  I’m not sure what the commission is on NFL contracts but even at 15% the difference is $1.2M.

To me this reaks of a potential problem.

If I’m the Jets, I tell McCown that we have no interest what so ever if signing him regardless of what happens to Cousins.

So these are the numbers Aaron Rodgers is looking to believed he will sign for this offseason.

but now it's looked at as a team-friendly deal. Rodgers could go that route again to save the team more money.

But if Rodgers doesn't want to do that, Dougherty said Rodgers, his deal could go two ways. First, the Packers could sign Rodgers to a five-year, $150 million deal and $75 million of it would be guaranteed. Another route is the Rodgers signs a three-year deal, $90-$95 million deal with the Packers and all of it would be guaranteed. So no matter what happens, Rodgers could earn a historic contract and it could happen very soon.

From this article

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Bolt/Aaron-Rodgers-on-pace-to-earn-record-breaking-contract--115336637

And some of you guys want to give Kirk Cousins who can’t hold Aaron Rodgers jock, Aaron Rodgers the best QB in the league MORE money?  Seriously?  No Seriously?  If the market for Rodgers is non team friendly 3 years 90-95 million then Cousins non team friendly should be TOPS 3 years 70-75 million in guaranteed money, not this 100 million nonsense, you guys need to get a grip on this Cousins price tag man.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

21 minutes ago, ECURB said:

What you pay isn't based purely on ability. 

If Rodgers was a FA he would certainly get more.

Who cares if they pay Cousins 40mil... If he ends up being a top 10 QB it was worth every penny.

But he isn’t a top 10 QB!

After his best season of his career he was ranked as the #14 QB in the league by his peers.  And last year his season was sooooo much worse, and he probably will fall further back according to his peers.

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

But he isn’t a top 10 QB!

After his best season of his career he was ranked as the #14 QB in the league by his peers.  And last year his season was sooooo much worse, and he probably will fall further back according to his peers.

He has a better chance to be than a 1st Rd QB does in the next 3 years

On 2/23/2018 at 7:03 AM, bla bla bla said:

McCarron I could see because I think he falls in line with a Glennon + Trubisky type offseason. Keenum IMO doesn't make sense because he should be able to command more given his sample size.

We’re better off drafting 2 qbs.  McCarron has no arm strength he’s not a good fit for the meadowlands.  He is getting overrated because he had a decent playoff game facing a bad Steelers defense

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

In regards to the Vikings landing Cousins...

that would really result in the wildest draft, b/c the broncos and jets could be competing to see who gets to #2 or 3.  

in the end there's a qb for everyone and i think if there's a team that does not take one in the top 6 it's the giants.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

that would really result in the wildest draft, b/c the broncos and jets could be competing to see who gets to #2 or 3.  

in the end there's a qb for everyone and i think if there's a team that does not take one in the top 6 it's the giants.  

Mhmm. And now Vikes are letting Keenum hit free agency. Ugh.

8 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I sure hope so, the giants would be fools to stay w/ Eli manning but they are turning into one of the worst organizations in the league before our eyes w/ all these moves they have made in recent years so I hope it continues.

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Mhmm. And now Vikes are letting Keenum hit free agency. Ugh.

jets are in an odd spot.  mccown would only return if they draft a qb in the first round.  no need for mccown if cousins is there.  so you can't sign mccown until cousins decides.  but then you have guys like keenum/mccarron around.  these guys will also be looking at the jets as a good destination b/c they'll compete for the starting job if cousins isn't there.  and would the broncos draft a qb at 5 if they sign keenum?  who knows.  

mccagnan has dealt with the qb position so non-chalantly, that it almost seems unfair if he's able to sign cousins and fix it without doing anything except failing with hack and petty.  if karma has any role in this, mccagnan would have to ace his final exam and draft a qb and outmanuever other teams in the top 5 and get his man.  

27 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Brandt is being conservative in his twitter post.   On Moving the Chains, on Serius NFL Network last week, he said that Minnesota will be announcing a "blockbuster UFA deal" when UFA starts in 3/14.  He said that he is not at liberty to say who it is, but he said it is a certainty.  Obviously he meant Cousins to Minnesota.  

Brandt is one of the few guys who never bullsh*ts.  At 84, he still sharp as a tack and he has no reason to lie.  

Cousins is going Minny, peeps.  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

jets are in an odd spot.  mccown would only return if they draft a qb in the first round.  no need for mccown if cousins is there.  so you can't sign mccown until cousins decides.  but then you have guys like keenum/mccarron around.  these guys will also be looking at the jets as a good destination b/c they'll compete for the starting job if cousins isn't there.  and would the broncos draft a qb at 5 if they sign keenum?  who knows.  

mccagnan has dealt with the qb position so non-chalantly, that it almost seems unfair if he's able to sign cousins and fix it without doing anything except failing with hack and petty.  if karma has any role in this, mccagnan would have to ace his final exam and draft a qb and outmanuever other teams in the top 5 and get his man.  

Think they'd resign McCown and then look to the draft. Keenum and Mcarron are all the same thing. A bridge guy. Anyone who signs them I would think still draft their guy in the 1st. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Brandt is being conservative in his twitter post.   On Mcving the Chains on Serius NFL Network last week he said that Minnesota will be announcing a "blockbuster UFA deal" when UFA starts in 3/14.  He wouldn't say who but he said it is a certainty.  Obviously he meant Cousins to Minnesota.  

Brandt is one of the few guys who never bullsh*ts.  At 84, he still sharp as a tack and he has no reason to lie.  

Cousins is going Minny, peeps.  

Well it was fun while it lasted. I'm excited to draft our guy...but also scared as fukkkkk.

14 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Well it was fun while it lasted. I'm excited to draft our guy...but also scared as fukkkkk.

for an organization that hasn't drafted an offensive player in the first round in a decade, this is what it's come to.  the entire nfl sees the jets as a defense-dominant team that would be a wasteland for a qb like cousins.  you can't hire 2 offensive coaches who are familiar with the system cousins likes, and ignore offensive line, rb, wr and TE in the draft for the greater part of a decade and expect to convince a 30 year old qb in his prime that this destination is better than the broncos or vikings.

the jets are likely starting from scratch on offense from the moment cousins announces he's going elsewhere.  if mccagnan has learned anything he'll have offensive FAs ready to sign so at least he can begin to change the perception of this team.  the last thing i want to read is that they whiff on cousins, then throw $55 million at a cornerback.  

• Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

We’re better off drafting 2 qbs.  McCarron has no arm strength he’s not a good fit for the meadowlands.  He is getting overrated because he had a decent playoff game facing a bad Steelers defense

Yea I mean I'd definitely prefer to go all in on a rookie and use the money to build around him.

5 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

I'd agree with this.

They can offer the same money that we want to offer, and load him up with a far better team.  My guess is that they could even get him for less given how talented their team is.

If Minny wants him, they'll get him.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I'd agree with this.

They can offer the same money that we want to offer, and load him up with a far better team.  My guess is that they could even get him for less given how talented their team is.

If Minny wants him, they'll get him.

So Mogglez, how badly does your friend say jets want Cousins? Or are they ok picking whoever is left at 6 (because I think they lose the trade up to other bids)?

15 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

So Mogglez, how badly does your friend say jets want Cousins? Or are they ok picking whoever is left at 6 (because I think they lose the trade up to other bids)?

We want him pretty badly.  However, no one expected Minnesota to jump into this like they have.  We'd have to absolutely blow him away with money and that's not going to happen because the Vikings can competitively pay enough to keep it close.

I don't know what they're content with at this point but I don't think it's going to matter much if Minnesota gets Kirk.  Denver picks ahead of us, will be drafting one of the QBs (probably Mayfield), and I agree with you because I think the Bills or someone else jump us in a trade up. 

The way I see it?  We are absolutely f*cked, but that's just my personal opinion based on how I feel about Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson, who we'll probably be strong armed into drafting at this point.

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

for an organization that hasn't drafted an offensive player in the first round in a decade, this is what it's come to.  the entire nfl sees the jets as a defense-dominant team that would be a wasteland for a qb like cousins.  you can't hire 2 offensive coaches who are familiar with the system cousins likes, and ignore offensive line, rb, wr and TE in the draft for the greater part of a decade and expect to convince a 30 year old qb in his prime that this destination is better than the broncos or vikings.

the jets are likely starting from scratch on offense from the moment cousins announces he's going elsewhere.  if mccagnan has learned anything he'll have offensive FAs ready to sign so at least he can begin to change the perception of this team.  the last thing i want to read is that they whiff on cousins, then throw $55 million at a cornerback.  

This is sadly the most accurate post I’ve read in a while.  When you have a HC fire an OC because he threw the ball too much, pretty much says it all.

We are supposed to be a ground and pound with Forte/Powell running behind a bottom 5 OL?  

Add that Anderson, who is probably an avg #2 WR or below avg #1, is by far our best WR, is probably gonna miss a bunch of games.

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

We want him pretty badly.  However, no one expected Minnesota to jump into this like they have.  We'd have to absolutely blow him away with money and that's not going to happen because the Vikings can competitively pay enough to keep it close.

I don't know what they're content with at this point but I don't think it's going to matter much if Minnesota gets Kirk.  Denver picks ahead of us, will be drafting one of the QBs (probably Mayfield), and I agree with you because I think the Bills or someone else jump us in a trade up. 

The way I see it?  We are absolutely f*cked, but that's just my personal opinion based on how I feel about Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson, who we'll probably be strong armed into drafting at this point.

Thanks for the info.  I am hoping Josh Allen has an awesome combine and gets drafted top 2 to save the Jets from picking him.   

• 4 years later...
On 2/17/2018 at 5:02 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

I hear you but I just feel like Cousins will only make us feel better because the Jets will be a wildcard contender every year with him.  But we won't be a serious contender to win the SB (which is ultimately what we all want).  Going 10-6 and losing a wildcard game where Cousins throws for 300 yards and 2 TDs would be a huge improvement for this team but what's the point?  Parcells said (something along the lines of) it's a lot easier to go from 3-13 to 10-6 than it is from 10-6 to 13-3.  

'sup!

• Haha 3

On 2/17/2018 at 3:29 PM, dbatesman said:

JANUARY 2022 [Jets have gone 32-32 over the last four seasons, with one playoff appearance—a loss in the wild card game]: pretty genious that Macc was able to get out of this contract after four seasons

Ohhh snap.

On 2/17/2018 at 4:17 PM, HessStation said:

The incompetence runs so deep. Starting with signing and starting McCown in a rebuild year to get those 2-3 extra big wins. Although the downward spiral runs much deeper. I'm all out of ****s to give with this. 

Preach Jennifer Lopez GIF by NBC

• Upvote 1

Minnesota won 13 games with the 27th ranked DVOA defense this year. Defense allowed over 450 yards in offense yesterday and Kirk Cousins was probably the Vikings best player. Dopey throw on 4th and season, sure. Cousins the reason they lost? I wouldn't characterize it that way but then again I don't think football is a one on one sport.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Minnesota won 13 games with the 27th ranked DVOA defense this year. Defense allowed over 450 yards in offense yesterday and Kirk Cousins was probably the Vikings best player. Dopey throw on 4th and season, sure. Cousins the reason they lost? I wouldn't characterize it that way but then again I don't think football is a one on one sport.

No, but when you sign a 3-year, $96M deal with $61M guaranteed and then get another year tacked on for $35M, at some point, you have to be the driving force behind a big win. 

He's started 4 postseason games in his career and has just 5 passing TDs across those games (1-3 record).  His team just lost to the #6-seed at home.  I can understand Vikings fans directing some of the blame Cousins' way.