Per sources, Jets could offer Kirk Cousins fully guaranteed contract. (Merged Cousins Jets $$$ thread)

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Cousins averages over the three years he's been a starter are:

67   Completion %
4392 Yards
27   TD's
12   INT's

Compare them to the averages of Jameis Winston & Marcus Mariota
both who are three year starters as well:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2969939/jameis-winston

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/2576980/marcus-mariota

Come on, you're better than that.  a sixth year player who has just started the past three years is NOT comparable to third year players - and you know that.

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It's absoltely going to be close to that.

Right now the Jets organization - owners, GM, HC - already know what their line is...and it's my guess that $150 for 5 isn't it.

Cousins will be a Jet and the contract will look very similar to that.

$150 mil guaranteed... I agree 5/150 is likely, maybe more.  But premise of this entire thread is fully guaranrteed..... never happen 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

Do you really beleive the "responsible" thing is to do is guarantee $150mm to a losing QB? 

It might actually be the single most irresponsible thing any team could do.

I think you're cherry-picking sentences, failing to grasp (or simply ignoring) context and seemingly blaming Kirk Cousins for the Redskins... how good would they have been if they kept the three first rounders and a second rounder they traded away for RGIII and instead just built a decent roster?  

The Redskins are 24-23-1 over the past three season by the way... what do you think their record would've been without Cousins'?

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS QBrec Cmp Att Cmp% Yds TD TD% Int Int% Lng Y/A AY/A Y/C Y/G Rate QBR Sk Yds NY/A ANY/A Sk% 4QC GWD AV
2012 24 WAS qb 12 3 1 1-0-0 33 48 68.8 466 4 8.3 3 6.3 77 9.7 8.6 14.1 155.3 101.6 79.0 3 27 8.61 7.53 5.9 1 1 2
2013 25 WAS qb 12 5 3 0-3-0 81 155 52.3 854 4 2.6 7 4.5 62 5.5 4.0 10.5 170.8 58.4 38.8 5 32 5.14 3.67 3.1     -2
2014 26 WAS qb 8 6 5 1-4-0 126 204 61.8 1710 10 4.9 9 4.4 81 8.4 7.4 13.6 285.0 86.4 55.8 8 70 7.74 6.77 3.8     4
2015 27 WAS QB 8 16 16 9-7-0 379 543 69.8 4166 29 5.3 11 2.0 78 7.7 7.8 11.0 260.4 101.6 71.0 26 186 6.99 7.14 4.6 2 3 12
2016* 28 WAS QB 8 16 16 8-7-1 406 606 67.0 4917 25 4.1 12 2.0 80 8.1 8.0 12.1 307.3 97.2 71.7 23 190 7.52 7.45 3.7 4 4 15
2017 29 WAS QB 8 16 16 7-9-0 347 540 64.3 4093 27 5.0 13 2.4 74 7.6 7.5 11.8 255.8 93.9 50.5 41 342 6.46 6.38 7.1 1 4 12
Career       62 57 26-30-1 1372 2096 65.5 16206 99 4.7 55 2.6 81 7.7 7.5 11.8 261.4 93.7   106 847 6.98 6.75 4.8 8 12 43

And yea, I'm not happy about guaranteeing the entirety of Cousins' contract.  That seems extreme, no doubt about it.  But I'm willing to entertain it, maybe even pull the trigger.

What's your plan for getting a quarterback this year?

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Do you really beleive the "responsible" thing to do is guarantee $150mm to a losing QB? 

It might actually be the single most irresponsible thing any team could do.

Matthew Stafford career record:  60-68

Derek Carr career record:  28-34

Using your logic we should be trying to re-sign Sanchez..  He's 41-37

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

No one's putting Sanchez in the ring of honor - but you and many people on this board are already calling this guy the second best QB the Jets have ever had ...

1. Without him playing a game on the Jets
  2. A career losing record
  3. No playoff wins
  4. Whose current organization (guys that know him the best) decided that Alex Smith was an upgrade.

It's not just the $30mm (although that's a lot) it's also the opportuhity cost of passing on a real. potential franchise QB.

You are correct on some of your points, but the argument that the Redskins don't want Cousins is pure fallacy. They offered to make him the second highest paid player in NFL history last year with the most guaranteed money for a quarterback ever. He turned them down. Alex Smith is simply a next logical step for their team, not an indictment of Cousins.

I agree with you about annointing him as an all time great Jet too quickly. I would say he's likely the best Jets quarterback since Favre in 2008. He still has much to prove, but I think he has the skill set and chip on his shoulder to do it if you build a good team around him.

Because Cousins throws for 4,000 - even though he loses.  

It seems a 4,000 yard QB that wins 7-10 games in exactly what the Jets want for the next 5 years.  Honestly, that's about how ambitioous this organization has been.

The Jets....a never ending quest for mediocrity

• Haha 1

No one's putting Sanchez in the ring of honor - but you and many people on this board are already calling this guy the second best QB the Jets have ever had ...

1. Without him playing a game on the Jets
  2. A career losing record
  3. No playoff wins
  4. Whose current organization (guys that know him the best) decided that Alex Smith was an upgrade.

It's not just the $30mm (although that's a lot) it's also the opportuhity cost of passing on a real. potential franchise QB.

You can't evaluate a QB based solely his teams record and playoff wins when he's only been a starter for 3 years. Dan Marino didn't win a playoff game in 9 out of his 17 seasons and he's considered to be one of the greatest of all time. Smart people realize that you still need to surround these guys with talent. This year's skins team was terrible and had zero offensive talent after injuries. Last year, with good, but not great talent, cousins passed for nearly 5k yards. 

• Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I don't believe it will be fully guaranteed, but I don't believe @Mecca was too far off a couple of weeks ago based off of certain things.

The Garoppolo deal changed everything.

I ******* knew Jimmy G and his stretch of 8 good games would totally mess up the market.

Seems almost like we're the front runners now for Cousins. Not sure how I feel about it but it is what it is

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

You can't evaluate a QB based solely his teams record and playoff wins when he's only been a starter for 3 years. Dan Marino didn't win a playoff game in 9 out of his 17 seasons and he's considered to be one of the greatest of all time. Smart people realize that you still need to surround these guys with talent. This year's skins team was terrible and had zero offensive talent after injuries. Last year, with good, but not great talent, cousins passed for nearly 5k yards. 

I don't disagree with this - but i am a frim beliver in wins and losses -  and this isn't a roll-the-dice kinda signing.  This is locking the franchise up for the next 5 years if he isn't a winner deal.  It'll be 2024 before we can move on from this contract.  Scarty to put all those eggs into a guy that hasn't shown he could win a big game.

For that type of risk I would want as close to a sure thing as I can find.  

My point is, I would much, much rather roll the dice on one of the rookies QB and build a team around him

• Upvote 1

I'll be very surprised if the Jets full guaranteed the contract.  I'd be less surprised to find out that the Jets leaked this to try to get some other suitors to look down another avenue.

With that said I fully expect them to put a monster deal on the table.   Maybe paying him $70+M over the first 2 years

11 minutes ago, King P said:

I ******* knew Jimmy G and his stretch of 10 good games would totally mess up the market.

Seems almost like we're the front runners now for Cousins. Not sure how I feel about it but it is what it is

Yeah it was inevitable though.  CAP is going up, players will be bargaining for more in the next CBA, etc. 

If you think Kirk's deal is gonna be big, wait for Ryan, Rodgers, Wentz, Goff, etc. in the next few years.  I'm thinking anything from 32- 35 million per year with 90-100 million guaranteed becomes the norm for the top 10-top 5 guys.  It's supply and demand. 

The pessimist in me says he still goes to Denver because I don't want to get excited and have my heart busted up, but if the offers are as massive as the rumors suggest...man it'd be stupid for Kirk to pass it up.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Come on, you're better than that.  a sixth year player who has just started the past three years is NOT comparable to third year players - and you know that.

Why?  What would Carson Wentz 2nd year  stats have been? Jared Geoff was good this year..... look if you're good.... you put up numbers...... and..... coaching is huge.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah it was inevitable though.  CAP is going up, players will be bargaining for more in the next CBA, etc. 

If you think Kirk's deal is gonna be big, wait for Ryan, Rodgers, Wentz, Goff, etc. in the next few years.  I'm thinking anything from 32- 35 million per year with 90-100 million guaranteed becomes the norm for the top 10-top 5 guys.  It's supply and demand.  The pessimist in me says he still goes to Denver because I don't want to get excited and have my heart busted up, but if the offers are as massive as the rumors suggest...man it'd be stupid for Kirk to pass it up.

Exactly.... A Rodgers will set the market very soon.  Guy could and should get 40 mil plus. Name another athlete outside of L James that if he goes down the entire team and city goes w him.

I figured this would likely be a thing, in all honesty if we believe he will play out the entirety of his contract why not? You can build in injury clauses. He'd be hitting our cap for the $30m anyway if he's on the roster.

I'm not for it but I'm not against it for QB in particular, especially if a fully guaranteed deal might mean a slightly lower annual cap hit.

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, HessStation said:

This is what happens when you're at the point of desperation as a General Manger and Head Coach. 

Also what happens when with 2 franchise QBs still on the board last spring the groupthink about BAP and safeties runs wild and there's no adult Executive VP of Football in the room to scream ARE YOU ALL F___ED IN THE HEAD? WE'RE PICKING A QB. I'm a broken record about this but it's justified; not picking Mahomes or Watson is going to haunt this franchise unless they grab a  real long term franchise QB at 6. 

Really hoping a midwestern aw shucks Cousins wanting no part of NY saves them from themselves. Looks like Neil O'Donnell but way more expensive. And again today as last spring there in no adult to tell Mr. Coffee and Bowel Movement that their short term interests are not the same as the Jets' long term ones. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

23 minutes ago, DoubleDown said:

I firmly believe that Cousins is the only reason the Redskins have been competitive the past few seasons. They are a bad team. Without Cousins, they are bottom 5.

That's what many here are missing. The skins are a bad team. Their best offensive player has been Jordan Reed who is always hurt. The others were guys like Garcon who's nothing special (only reached 1k yards twice in his ten year career) and the one dimensional desean Jackson. And those three were either gone or hurt last year. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

This whole article is stupid.  Even if the Jets were considering this, they wouldn't have disclosed it to anyone who would bring the info to Florio.  Unless they did it intentionally.  I can even think of reasons why the Jets might want to intentionally plant false info out there.  This whole thing doesn't pass the smell test.  

Stupid, eh? Have you been watching this franchise for the last half century and these 2 morons for the last few years? 

1 hour ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

I think you're giving the Redskins too much credit. 

I also think you're being a bit unrealistic about drafting a potential franchise QB this year. 

There are three teams ahead of us in the draft that are likely to draft a quarterback.  One of those teams, the Browns, have two picks ahead of us; thus increasing the likelihood that one of their picks will be spent on a quarterback. 

And who really knows what the Colts @ pick 3 will do?  How's Luck's shoulder?  Maybe it's bad and they need to draft a replacement but are keeping it under wraps until draft day...  maybe Luck's fine and they see their spot @ 3 as ideal trade bait for a QB hungry team; an opportunity for the Colts to cash out and acquire more talent for one of the weakest rosters in the NFL.

There are too many opportunities for other teams before pick six this year for the Jets to formulate a coherent draft strategy around staying @ 6 and drafting the specific quarterback they like.  I'm not interested in gambling on one of the QB's we like dropping.  That smacks of irresponsibility. 

The responsible choices at quarterback this offseason, as I see them, are either signing Cousins or trading up in the draft.  And seeing as how we've got a boatload of cap space, I prefer to use it to sign Cousins and keep the draft picks we would've otherwise used in a trade-up.  

Key to the whole draft. Nobody really knows right now. 

• Sympathy 2

Not sure what the uproar is....signing Cousins to a fully guaranteed 5 year contract is perfectly aligned with Hack's development to be the QB of the future. Brady will be gone, Hack will have another 5 years to learn to be accurate and by then this Hack wont look so bad because the fans will be calling for him to start and dying to get rid of Cousins. 

This was the plan all along when we drafted Hack.

Signed,

Big Mac

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, HessStation said:

Dear God, Macaggnan is half spineless pussy, half incompetent moron.

Yup when I read that Macc "panicked" after the Texans PASSED on Hack in the 2nd round as if that was a secret signal of interest, I knew his time here was numbered.

3 hours ago, Titan24 said:

So let me get this straight.....because M Florio throws something out there it's going to happen?  There are many good/smart posters on this board that become rather dumb very quickly at times.

I think its just off season and not free agency yet so people are bored and dying for something to talk/complain about.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

The sad reality is you don’t develop a QBs starting in year 4 or a regime. You do that in year 1 or 2. Unfortunately for us, it’s Cousins or bust, which is likely busy or bust.

Disagree we are so QB hungry and starved, imagine opening day and our starting QB is Baker Mayfield!!!!!!

So what we win 5 games we have a promising rookie QB instead of an old loser who wins us 5 games there is no up. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Disagree we are so QB hungry and starved, imagine opening day and our starting QB is Baker Mayfield!!!!!!

So what we win 5 games we have a promising rookie QB instead of an old loser who wins us 5 games there is no up. 

I like Mayfield, but you really think Bowles wants anything to do with him? Not a chance.