Which Free Agents Should Jets Pursue: Offense

Sarge4Tide

Jets should pursue and if necessary pay above market value for....  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Quarterbacks

• Kirk Cousins
    • Case Keenum
    • AJ McCarron
    • Tom Savage
    • Sam Bradford
    • Teddy Bridgewater
    • Someone else
    • None of the Above
  2. 2. Running Backs

• Leveon Bell
    • Carlos Hyde
    • Isaih Crowell
    • Dion Lewis
    • Someone else
    • None of the Above
  3. 3. Wide Receivers

• Jarvis Landy
    • Sammy Watkins
    • Allen Robinson
    • John Brown
    • Paul Richardson
    • Marquis Lee
    • Someone Else
    • None of the above
  4. 4. Tight Ends

• Jimmy Graham
    • Tyler Eifert
    • Trey Burton
    • Luke Wilson
    • Someone Else
    • None of the Above
  5. 5. Offensive Linemen

• Nate Solder
    • Justin Pugh
    • Chris Hubbard
    • Andrew Norwell
    • Jack Mewhort
    • Weston Richburg
    • Spencer Long
    • Travis Swaonson
    • DJ Fluker
    • Jonathon Cooper
    • Andre Smith
    • Someone Else
    • None of the Above

38 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Is Jensen a free agent? Center is numero uno after QB.

Agreed ! The center position should be a priority. Remember when Parcels took over? First FA he signed was Kevin Mawae . That worked out rather well for years.

23 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

The train to Sh-tville?

When the guy is not hurt he is a good qb and just right for this type of offense.  My 1st choice is a drafted qb but if we are going to bring in a vet i'd rather have him than the case keenums, mccarrons of the world and he is not going to cost 30 million a year guaranteed.  Qb is a posiiton that you can come back from injuries pretty well unless it is your arm, shoulder.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

When the guy is not hurt he is a good qb and just right for this type of offense.  My 1st choice is a drafted qb but if we are going to bring in a vet i'd rather have him than the case keenums, mccarrons of the world and he is not going to cost 30 million a year guaranteed.  Qb is a posiiton that you can come back from injuries pretty well unless it is your arm, shoulder.

A non-contact injury ended Bradford’s season. He’s done.  

If the jets don’t sign Cousins they need to draft 2 Quarterbacks no more crappy retreads and Petty and Hack need to go to the XFL or Canada

1.  They should be inquiring about them all because they dont have a QB but obviously Cousins should be their #1 target.

2.  I'm not a fan of giving RB's a 2nd contract, especially if they're not yours.  Plenty of RB's to chose in the draft.  I'd prefer they not spend money on a FA RB but if they did, on that that list I'd look at Deon Lewis.  He'd be the cheapest and is a crafty, shifty, versatile back.

3.  Another market they should be inquiring about them all.  I voted Landry, Watkins, Robinson and Lee.  

4.  I like Burton here.  Wouldnt touch the rest.  We know they're looking to resign ASJ too.

5.  All the above option here.  They need starters and depth. 

31 minutes ago, Stark said:

Trying to figure out the "love" for Trey Burton. I don't see anything special. I guess it's possible that he has a breakout year soon, but I am not paying him above market, lol. 

Prolly people excited to get any offensive lineman or even any offensive player for that matter.

46 minutes ago, Stark said:

Trying to figure out the "love" for Trey Burton. I don't see anything special. I guess it's possible that he has a breakout year soon, but I am not paying him above market, lol. 

Ridiculous athlete who can play the joker role really well.  TE/Hback/WR.  He's filled in very nicely when Ertz has been injured.  Top 10 DVOA on the year, 74% catch rate.  I think it's safe to say that if a team can find a way to consistently use him, he's a dangerous versatile player you can line up all over the field.

Look a Bradfords play and his results and his age and he is pretty close to kirk cousins other than his bad injury history.  I know some people feel past injuries automatically mean future ones but not me.

We are going to pay one guy 150 mill and try ad guarantee it all.

27 minutes ago, JiF said:

Ridiculous athlete who can play the joker role really well.  TE/Hback/WR.  He's filled in very nicely when Ertz has been injured.  Top 10 DVOA on the year, 74% catch rate.  I think it's safe to say that if a team can find a way to consistently use him, he's a dangerous versatile player you can line up all over the field.

I get the athletic part. I guess my thing is, for us, we still IMO underutilize the TE and the overpaying part. if you could get him at what his value should be based on production fine. but I am not comfortable with overpaying him.

22 minutes ago, Stark said:

I get the athletic part. I guess my thing is, for us, we still IMO underutilize the TE and the overpaying part. if you could get him at what his value should be based on production fine. but I am not comfortable with overpaying him.

Sucks that Leggette got hurt, we have no idea what we have? Sterling looked decent, I like the way he snatched with his hands & turned up field for Yac. Spend money on upgrading this Oline 1st & foremost. Everyone gets open in the NFL when the defense is stopped cold upfront.

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Sucks that Leggette got hurt, we have no idea what we have? Sterling looked decent, I like the way he snatched with his hands & turned up field for Yac. Spend money on upgrading this Oline 1st & foremost. Everyone gets open in the NFL when the defense is stopped cold upfront.

Neal Sterling given the opportunity will surprise many, this kid can play. 

At QB I would pursue Cousins and Bridgewater. I want one of those two.

At RB the only guy I'd be interested in is Dion Lewis.

At WR I'd focus on Landry, Watkins, and Robinson and try and sign one of them. I love Landry as a player, I think Watkins is a good low risk high reward guy and Robinson is a quality player hopefully (even with the injury) on the rise.

At TE I would be all for Jimmy Graham. He'd help us out tremendously, especially if we drafted a young QB. Eifert is a solid option and Burton is a guy with big potential.

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

We would need to rest him until the playoffs. 

Even then the odds are slim that he could make it through 4 playoff games.

33 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

At QB I would pursue Cousins and Bridgewater. I want one of those two.

At RB the only guy I'd be interested in is Dion Lewis.

At WR I'd focus on Landry, Watkins, and Robinson and try and sign one of them. I love Landry as a player, I think Watkins is a good low risk high reward guy and Robinson is a quality player hopefully (even with the injury) on the rise.

At TE I would be all for Jimmy Graham. He'd help us out tremendously, especially if we drafted a young QB. Eifert is a solid option and Burton is a guy with big potential.

I am good with these except Bridgewater. I just can't get on board with signing him. 

I know some publication has done this, but where would the Jets OL be ranked, including depth?

If you looked at each of the Jets' backup offensive linemen, how many teams would they make other than the Jets?

How many starting centers last year were worse than Wesley Johnson?

If the Jets have the ability to use cap money to build up the OL, even if for 2019, they should do it.  Shell is now in year 3, Beachum's contract is expiring, and Carpenter could be on his last year too (in fact, 2017 should be Carpenter's last year).

On 2/19/2018 at 9:38 AM, Stark said:

I didn’t know Tyler Eifert was a still a thing either.  He had one good season like 5 years ago and has been in and out of IR ever since

The tight end we need is Jimmy Graham.  10 touchdown catches last season would have had 11 but two Packers DBs held him blatantly in the end zone week 1 without getting a PI call

On 2/19/2018 at 11:01 AM, Beerfish said:

Look a Bradfords play and his results and his age and he is pretty close to kirk cousins other than his bad injury history.  I know some people feel past injuries automatically mean future ones but not me.

We are going to pay one guy 150 mill and try ad guarantee it all.

Bradford medically can’t play anymore.  

Prefer the team draft a QB, but considering who’s got that job...

QB - Cousins, up to 3 years gtd max. Otherwise there are other QBs to be had. Teams have been, and will be, winning superbowls without Kirk Cousins on their rosters. (Biggest problem with the rest - should Cousins just choose to go elsewhere - is I have no idea what the competing bids would be. None of the others strike me as reasons to stay away from drafting a QB.)

C - Jensen. Admittedly I don’t know how good he is and am basing it off rankings that could be way off. (Who here has honestly analyzed the Ravens’ center for both pass and run blocking by watching film?) Center isn’t a bank-breaker FA position and the team has nobody; a year ago they could have looked ot fill it in the draft. Now they need to sign a starter, and he’s supposed to be the best one available.

G - Norwell’s an obvious guy to look at, but lots of teams will be looking his way and he could end up in the $12m range. Think that’s a little high, but I could rationalize it since the team isn’t spending big bucks on a LT and whether they keep with Beachum or draft one, they draft one they’re not spending big money on a LT anytime soon. I’d pay $12m for a sure thing top 5 guard 10 times out of 10 before I’d draft one at #6. 

TE - I’d love to sign Graham, but don’t think it’s realistic for the Jets because he brings nothing as a blocker, and you can’t just swap him out for a blocking TE when you want to run the ball. Defenses tend to notice things like that.

Eifert is interesting but his rookie season was the last time he made it through a full season (15 games is close enough). Even in 2015, the last time he came close, he missed about 25% of the team’s games. Would have an interest in a 1 year show-me deal like Claiborne signed last year (for the same reason), but the Jets have no need to shop in the bargain bin. He’s still only 28 when the season starts, but who knows if he’s the same player he was after all these injuries and surgeries. 

WRs - Watkins is the only elite-type special talent who isn’t getting tagged, and he didn’t do much again last year, getting overshadowed by guys who should be way behind him. They have enough with Kearse, Enunwa, Robby (think he gets ~2 games), and past draftees, that the only thing they should be seeking is something special. Another Kerley (or rich man’s Kerley/Kearse) doesn’t interest me much. I’d have some interest in Lee, as he could be just coming into his own, slowly getting progressively better after disappointing early on, and could be more than another Kearse if that improvement continues.

Archived