Where else can we upgrade?

Jetster

So far everyone seems to be in agreement that going after Cousins, signing or drafting a center & adding a guard since Carpenter fell off a cliff last year & from what I'm reading is not a good zone blocker.

I know we have quite a few pessimists among us but for S&Gs lets say come March Kirk Cousins is in the fold. Lets add that Claiborne & Demario Davis are resigned.

What other moves in free agency would you like to see? 

I have one that I would like to see & still want to draft a stud RB with 1 of our second rounders. I noticed that Powell can be cut with only an $883,000 cap hit. With Cousins on board, I would cut Bilal Powell & Sign Dion Lewis. Lewis is faster, shiftier, and 2 years younger. I'd love to see a 3 headed running & catching attack with Sony Michel, Dion Lewis & McGuire. Powells 29, off the juice, and probably ready to fall off that RB cliff, plus for some reason we don't run him anyway. When you can't beat out an old cement shoe glue horse like Forte, its time for an upgrade at the position. 

Plus, its doable. I keep reading fans responding to some of these wants by other fans as fairy tales. A lot of what I read doesn't seem outrageous to me at all. Plus, we have a lot of young players entering their 2nd & 3rd years in the NFL, a time when guys make their moves from ALMOST there to THERE.

If they are going to sign injured Morris Claiborne, instead take a shot at the injured CBs like Prince Amukamara or E.J. Gaines

Ryan Jensen is the center they should target. He's 27 and rocks a red mullet. He's underrated as heck. 

Trent Murphy OLB is the Redskins player I hope they get. He's coming off an ACL but also 27 and poor man's Ryan Kerrigan. 

Cutting Bilal Powell is maybe a year early and they can find RB in other places besides Rd 2 of the NFL draft. Those are prime picks and this team needs foundational players not add-ons. 

If Kirk Cousins comes to the Jets it will be for mercenary reasons and therefore will never work. It's one of those catch 22's. This team can only function if everyone loves football as much as Jamal Adams. 

31 minutes ago, bitonti said:

If they are going to sign injured Morris Claiborne, instead take a shot at the injured CBs like Prince Amukamara or E.J. Gaines

Ryan Jensen is the center they should target. He's 27 and rocks a red mullet. He's underrated as heck. 

Trent Murphy OLB is the Redskins player I hope they get. He's coming off an ACL but also 27 and poor man's Ryan Kerrigan. 

Cutting Bilal Powell is maybe a year early and they can find RB in other places besides Rd 2 of the NFL draft. Those are prime picks and this team needs foundational players not add-ons. 

If Kirk Cousins comes to the Jets it will be for mercenary reasons and therefore will never work. It's one of those catch 22's. This team can only function if everyone loves football as much as Jamal Adams. 

You don't think Cousins loves football? Did you watch him play this year behind a decimated oline, decimated running back group, an injured Reed & WRs with oven mitts for hands? He played his azz off & hated the owner, lol. Why would he just stop loving football after getting a contract he likes, works with guys he knows, Bates & Dennison, and an entire fans base sans a few hundred SOJ fans pouting around, excited for the season to start?

Besides everywhere? Not everyone is in agreement on Cousins and the Jets need to upgrade at almost every position that matters. If they sign Cousins I won't be happy but will hope for the best with it. They will have to go all in on the FA front though and will have to add at least another WR, RB, OL, and CB. Then they will almost have to add the same positions in the draft plus an edge rusher. It just seem's like a tall order to accomplish in one off-season. Especially for Macc with the track record he has.

5 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Besides everywhere? Not everyone is in agreement on Cousins and the Jets need to upgrade at almost every position that matters. If they sign Cousins I won't be happy but will hope for the best with it. They will have to go all in on the FA front though and will have to add at least another WR, RB, OL, and CB. Then they will almost have to add the same positions in the draft plus an edge rusher. It just seem's like a tall order to accomplish in one off-season. Especially for Macc with the track record he has.

This, build a TEAM.  You just watched the Vikings go to the NFCCG with Case Keenum, no need to buy Kirk average Cousins, draft a QB, sign one of the other FA QB’s for half of what Cousins will command, and let’s build a team instead of pray our 5th round picks can be impact starters because we can’t afford starters at important positions because we pay the QB a gazillion dollars.  IF Cousins was coming here at 20 million I’m all for it, and you still draft a QB, but he isn’t he would probably require about 35 million per to come to the Jets that 3 quality starters, or 1 more superstar elsewhere.

If we sign Cousins, I’d say we use the rest of the free agent dollars (which is infinite) to sign every great player for the next five years to supplement what will surely be a well-coordinated series of successful draft picks. After that, we should trade a bunch of picks in 2021 and 2022 for future draft picks so that we can reload for the post-Cousins Dynasty.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This, build a TEAM.  You just watched the Vikings go to the NFCCG with Case Keenum, no need to buy Kirk average Cousins, draft a QB, sign one of the other FA QB’s for half of what Cousins will command, and let’s build a team instead of pray our 5th round picks can be impact starters because we can’t afford starters at important positions because we pay the QB a gazillion dollars.  IF Cousins was coming here at 20 million I’m all for it, and you still draft a QB, but he isn’t he would probably require about 35 million per to come to the Jets that 3 quality starters, or 1 more superstar elsewhere.

I get it, your not on board with Cousins. Your in a huge minority so find that minority & discuss picking the 4th best QB in the draft that will sit on the Jets bench for 2 years. Hey, if we don't get Cousins, I'll be backing whoever we get in the draft, I just don't think you look a gifthorse (Dan Snyder & the Skins) in the mouth. Plus, I'd like to competitive in 2018 because the opportunity arose.

19 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You don't think Cousins loves football? Did you watch him play this year behind a decimated oline, decimated running back group, an injured Reed & WRs with oven mitts for hands? He played his azz off & hated the owner, lol. Why would he just stop loving football after getting a contract he likes, works with guys he knows, Bates & Dennison, and an entire fans base sans a few hundred SOJ fans pouting around, excited for the season to start?

He doesn’t actually know either of them.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

If we sign Cousins, I’d say we use the rest of the free agent dollars (which is infinite) to sign every great player for the next five years to supplement what will surely be a well-coordinated series of successful draft picks. After that, we should trade a bunch of picks in 2021 and 2022 for future draft picks so that we can reload for the post-Cousins Dynasty.

Lol, You'll be sitting back in your checkered recliner with foam spilling out of it & grammas afghan covering the tears, watching Kirk Cousins throwing to Landry, Kearse, Enunwa & handing off to Sony Michel and YOUR GONNA LOVE IT!

2 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I get it, your not on board with Cousins. Your in a huge minority so find that minority & discuss picking the 4th best QB in the draft that will sit on the Jets bench for 2 years. Hey, if we don't get Cousins, I'll be backing whoever we get in the draft, I just don't think you look a gifthorse (Dan Snyder & the Skins) in the mouth. Plus, I'd like to competitive in 2018 because the opportunity arose.

I’m all in for Cousins if it’s at a price tag he is worth, I don’t think he can put a team on his back with a bad supporting cast like a Rodgers, or Brady can so I’m not paying him the money he wants which is put a team on your back type of money, IF Cousins signed here at a fair reasonable price that his talents matchup with (I estimate that around 20 million, fine if you over paid by 10% to 22 million, but that’s it) I’d be ECSTATIC, but the likely cost of 35 million no thank you, it’s a death blow to this team that has an empty cupboard when it comes to offensive talented players, and zero history of drafting any offensive talent that works out, and an O-line that need to be revamped.  You can’t do this unless you literally hit a HR with 5 picks this draft, and every FA signing other then Cousins (won’t be many) also are HR’s.  Very unlikely scenario.

14 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Lol, You'll be sitting back in your checkered recliner with foam spilling out of it & grammas afghan covering the tears, watching Kirk Cousins throwing to Landry, Kearse, Enunwa & handing off to Sony Michel and YOUR GONNA LOVE IT!

LOL and you will be riding your bike with the steamers floating in the wind reveling in the fact that you just got your training wheels off while navigating the Yellow Brick Road on the way to the merry old Land of Oz

10 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This is me, with all Jets-related things:

AAAC4D21-FE40-48EF-9B86-0F91E4183977.gif

41 minutes ago, Jetster said:

@Jetster, man I admire your sticking up for what you want. 

But to say @Lupz27is in a huge minority, IMO, is just wrong. The problem is not Cousins alone, it is the stupid amount of money you will have to fork over for 5-7 years. This team needs a lot of players at key positions. I like Cousins' at a reasonable $$$, I know QB money is ridiculous, so if you said $18-$24 mil instead of $30 or more I think more people would be more excited at the thought of signing Cousins.

We need to draft a young QB, and start the full rebuild process. Darnold, Rosen ... get one of them and sign 3-4 players for what you would pay Cousins.

I can see both sides of wanting to sign Cousins and to the Drafting "your guy at QB". But I have a hard time paying Cousins that much money and that is basically the issue. 

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

So far everyone seems to be in agreement that going after Cousins, signing or drafting a center & adding a guard since Carpenter fell off a cliff last year & from what I'm reading is not a good zone blocker.

I know we have quite a few pessimists among us but for S&Gs lets say come March Kirk Cousins is in the fold. Lets add that Claiborne & Demario Davis are resigned.

What other moves in free agency would you like to see? 

I have one that I would like to see & still want to draft a stud RB with 1 of our second rounders. I noticed that Powell can be cut with only an $883,000 cap hit. With Cousins on board, I would cut Bilal Powell & Sign Dion Lewis. Lewis is faster, shiftier, and 2 years younger. I'd love to see a 3 headed running & catching attack with Sony Michel, Dion Lewis & McGuire. Powells 29, off the juice, and probably ready to fall off that RB cliff, plus for some reason we don't run him anyway. When you can't beat out an old cement shoe glue horse like Forte, its time for an upgrade at the position. 

Plus, its doable. I keep reading fans responding to some of these wants by other fans as fairy tales. A lot of what I read doesn't seem outrageous to me at all. Plus, we have a lot of young players entering their 2nd & 3rd years in the NFL, a time when guys make their moves from ALMOST there to THERE.

totally agree on getting a rb or two.  this is the last year of powell's current deal and it isn't that high.  imo they should keep powell and then draft a guy 3rd round or so or sign a free agent.  i'm not sold of dion lewis.

11 minutes ago, rangerous said:

totally agree on getting a rb or two.  this is the last year of powell's current deal and it isn't that high.  imo they should keep powell and then draft a guy 3rd round or so or sign a free agent.  i'm not sold of dion lewis.

Lewis is shifty as hell. I wouldn't break the bank for him but with running back by committee, Michel or Jones, Lewis, McGuire would be great for the WCO. I just though Powell looked slow, he had some nice runs but way to many losses.

Name 1 position that doesn't need an upgrade.

Literally, a quality player at any position constitutes and upgrade.   I used to defend Macc, but after 3 years there is no more talent than there was 3 years ago, although we are among the league leaders in dead cap space.

The entire off season should be dedicated to the foundation of

get the QB 

Protect the QB 

Rush the QB

after that, special teams is the best way to improve on a cost basis and this team has ignored specials for way too long 

Assuming they re-sign our own (ASJ, Clainborne and Davis) and do something at QB (draft or KC8) here's what's left to fill:

A new Center

A new D-lineman to replace Wilkerson. 

A new guard to replace Carp either this year or in the future.

A Cornerback to compliment Claiborne

As always a pass rusher, preferably on the weakside to compliment Jenkins

A wide receiver wouldn't hurt

backups galore

Not all of these will be addressed in a big way by either the draft or free agency, not all at once anyway. They'll probably settle for what they already have in several positions. But at least some of these should be addressed with a big pick up or two. I imagine we'll most certainly have new blood at Center.

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Name 1 position that doesn't need an upgrade.

Literally, a quality player at any position constitutes and upgrade.   I used to defend Macc, but after 3 years there is no more talent than there was 3 years ago, although we are among the league leaders in dead cap space.

that's just stating the obvious.  but just as obvious is every team can upgrade a host of positions.  it's just that it doesn't seem like that on winning teams.  and a lot of the jet players do have the talent to be in the nfl but some are just being misused.

as for the dead cap space, noted.  mac made a couple of serious errors in re-signing wilky and revis.  hopefully he'll have learned although the trick is for him become so risk averse that he won't negotiate with a guy like cousins.

4 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

Assuming they re-sign our own (ASJ, Clainborne and Davis) and do something at QB (draft or KC8) here's what's left to fill:

A new Center

A new D-lineman to replace Wilkerson. 

A new guard to replace Carp either this year or in the future.

A Cornerback to compliment Claiborne

As always a pass rusher, preferably on the weakside to compliment Jenkins

A wide receiver wouldn't hurt

backups galore

Not all of these will be addressed in a big way by either the draft or free agency, not all at once anyway. They'll probably settle for what they already have in several positions. But at least some of these should be addressed with a big pick up or two. I imagine we'll most certainly have new blood at Center.

running back to replace forte and a left tackle in the pipeline.

1 minute ago, rangerous said:

running back to replace forte and a left tackle in the pipeline.

oh yeah, forgot about those.

Forte's gotta be replaced by some younger pair legs or another. Beachum is average as hell and will suffice for a short while I guess but a new left tackle is something I've felt the team needed for the last five years (even when D-brick was around) 

sh*t, if we got KC and a Center in free agency I'd be banging on the table for a new LT at #6 (if there's even one worth taking)

37 minutes ago, Larz said:

The entire off season should be dedicated to the foundation of

get the QB 

Protect the QB 

Rush the QB

after that, special teams is the best way to improve on a cost basis and this team has ignored specials for way too long 

This should be the goal every single year, it’s so sad we still haven’t figured this out.

5 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

This should be the goal every single year, it’s so sad we still haven’t figured this out.

agree on the specials too.  i can see not having a great kick off return team but only until the other team starts kicking short of the end zone.  and the jet kick returners seem to not understand the ball comes out to the 25 on a touch back.  how many times have the returners fielded the ball and then try to run it out all the way to the 15.

Zach Fulton OG/C Chiefs

He started twelve games for them last year at guard and center.  He's 26 years old.

He's not a pro bowler by any stretch but his versatility allows the Jets to enter the draft with center covered (and upgraded from last year) in case center isn't the value at our picks.  And while free agent offensive lineman don't come cheap, Fulton isn't going to get Norwell or Jensen money.  

http://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/05/chiefs-free-agent-focus-zach-fulton-could-draw-plenty-of-interest/

jax.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

Jacksonville Jaguars

Cornerback Aaron Colvin

Colvin has been the Jaguars' nickelback and slot corner, and the staff loves him. Unfortunately, they can't pay him because they spent $26 million guaranteed on A.J. Bouye. There's also Jalen Ramsey, one of the best corners in the league after only two seasons, who is also in line for a huge deal in two years. Colvin isn't better than Ramsey or Bouye, and the only way he stays in Jacksonville is if he's willing to take less money than he'd get on the open market as a pending free agent, which is unlikely. The Jaguars prepared for his departure by drafting Jalen Myrick in 2017. Colvin wants to play on the outside. There will be plenty of teams that will offer him good money to do so. 

http://insider.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/32for32x180214/nfl-players-need-change-scenery-all-32-teams

Colvin would be an upgrade over Skrine and give us versatility entering the draft.  

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

If you're willing to roll the dice on a draft pick that's fine.  I don't have a problem with bringing McCown back and having a young draft pick back him up, or vice versa.  We do need to keep in mind however that we lose the ability to draft a potential young superstar at another position, that's the trade off. 

20 hours ago, bitonti said:

It is Jamaal Adams job to make all 53 love football. It his stated purpose and the reason I keep hearing we had to pick him at 6.

19 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

It is a little late for this philosophy now.  The GM cut everyone, scorched the earth, simply to have cap space this offseason.  I don't think that he did that to sign a C, G and a couple of LBs.

Archived