Off-Season Target: Paul Richardson

win4ever

First of all, I write about the Titans now (I live in Nashville and work in real estate, so home base) and just launched a new site (Thanks Phil).  I've been writing up some off-season targets (For the Titans).  Anyway, the article mentions Titans (so replace that with Jets) and gives a breakdown of the roster (ignore that part), and let me know if he's a good Robby Anderson replacement. 

http://anatomyoftitans.com/2018/02/off-season-target-paul-richardson/ 

When the Tennessee Titans hired Mike Vrabel, he mentioned a desire to open up the offense and introduce some of the concepts from Marcus Mariota’s days at Oregon on offense.  However, there is a glaring issue with roster construction because they lack a true deep threat.  Corey Davis is talented, but as the presumed No. 1 receiver going into next year, he’s going to face stiff competition.  Those Oregon teams, and later Baylor as well, were exciting because they emphasized speed down the field.  The whole concept of a spread offense is to expand the field horizontally, so the defense is weaker vertically.  If you watched Baylor games when Art Briles was the coach, you will see a very high amount of throws down the field with go routes against one deep safety coverage.  The idea is that the safety can’t cover both ends of the field, and the receiver has a one on one match up.  The other aspect of the spread system is that it doesn’t rely heavily on one receiver, but rather relying on which player the defense decides to cover one on one.  It’s why Kendall Wright out-performed Josh Gordon at Baylor.  Also why a receiver like Devin Smith could out-perform Michael Thomas at Ohio State.  Unfortunately for the Titans, they lack the speed element at wide receiver.   Let’s take a look at possible receivers:

Corey Davis:  He did not run at the combine, nor his pro-day, thanks to an injury.  There isn’t a recorded time for his 40-yard dash that is reliable.  There are reports of him being rumored to be running in the 4.45 to 4.50 range, but obviously can’t be confirmed.  He is the No. 1 receiver on the Titans for next year (unless they sign Allen Robinson – a post I will make later in the off-season if he isn’t franchised) and shall be going up against the top corner backs in the league.

Rishard Matthews:  He ran a 4.44 at his pro-day, although he ran near 4.62 at the combine for his 40-yard dash.  I like Matthews as a second receiver but he’s not a 4.44 burner in the league right now.  He runs good routes and is a reliable option for Mariota, but he doesn’t have the top end speed down the field to be a consistent threat.

Eric Decker:  He is a free agent, and I don’t think the team is going to bring him back.  He’s a possession receiver at this point of his career, and I think he’s one of the best route runners in the league.  However, I think it’s a numbers crunch for the team and he most likely won’t be returning.

Taywan Taylor:  He’s the in-house option as the speed guy because he ran a 4.45 at the combine last year, and according to Next Gen Stats, he had one of the fastest recorded speeds by a wide receiver this season.

Tajae Sharpe: He’s not a speed option, and coming off an injury at this point, so I’m not sure how reliable he would be as he’s recovering.  He ran a 4.55 at the combine when he ran the 40 yard dash, and while he performed admirably for a rookie, he’s not the deep threat.

The team has a reliable option in Matthews as a possible secondary/third option, with potential in Corey Davis.  However, Taylor is the only real speed option on the team and that might be too risky.  Mariota is still under his rookie contract, and having a good QB on a cheap contract is the greatest competitive advantage for a team under the current financial climate.

So, who do I suggest the team sign this week?

Since most of you read the title before clicking, it’s Paul Richardson.  He’s a free agent this year, and he’s still young.

Speed:  He ran a 4.40 speed at the combine, and is still young enough to retain that speed during game play.  The speed allows the Titans to put Davis/Matthews/Taylor/Richardson on the field and have the option of opting into two go routes on the outside if they catch the defense in a single high safety look.

Team Fit:  Assume the offense goes to a 10 package (4 receivers, 1 running back), then the defense has to worry about speed across the board, thus shift to a two-deep safety look.  However, the defense also needs to worry about an RPO option with Henry/Mariota, which brings in the linebackers.  It would essentially open up the middle of the field for easier passes or allow better running lanes.  The team also needs a deep threat because Mariota showed a drastic change in downfield efficiency from 2016 to 2017.

Click Here For Link

That is the link to Mariota’s chart from 2016.

Click Here For Link

That is the link to Mariota’s chart from 2017.

Notice how Mariota went from above league average on throws down the field to below average.  The main issue here is spacing and the lack of down field threats.  In 2016, a robust running game helped opened up options down the field, whereas 2017 allowed defenders to block passing lanes with the lesser threat of successful runs.

Fundamentals:  I’ve had some trouble launching the site, unforeseen delays, which squashed certain articles I had planned.  One of my primary suggestions included trying to get Kippy Brown out of retirement because I think he does a great job in developing receivers.  I promise, it was going to be great, minds were going to be blown, but then the site was down during the critical phase and I scratched the idea.  Richardson came in for his rookie year under Brown and has displayed some of the good fundamentals that Seattle receivers have shown in the past, with good hands, route running, and field recognition.

Film Review: 

GIFPaul-Richardson-Play-1_still_tmp.jpeg

Notice the positioning of the body on this play, because he’s using his back to prevent the defender from making a play on the ball.  He’s twisting his body for a “hands” catch, but also positioning himself for a clean path towards the ball.  You see this plenty of times with the Seahawks’ receivers, especially Doug Baldwin.  He shows good hands on this pass, as well as great body positioning and field awareness.

GIFPaul-Richardson-Play-2_still_tmp.jpeg
GIFPaul-Richardson-Play-3_still_tmp.jpeg

The ability to make plays while facing pass interference is of prime importance, especially in playoff series against the Patriots.  He makes two great one-handed catches in these plays, although in both cases the defenders were called for penalties.

GIFPaul-Richardson-Play-4_still_tmp.jpeg

He also does a great job at high-pointing the ball, and stepping in front of the defender to take away the chances of a deflection.

These plays were recorded from this video

I know highlights make everyone look like stars, but I just wanted to highlight a couple of things of note from those videos.  They are a year old, but the new highlights film only show limited plays.

GIFPaul-Richardson-Play-5_still_tmp.jpeg

This is against the Jaguars this year and notice the defensive formation.  The team is showing single high safety, and Richardson is essentially double teamed on this play, yet still gets open down the field.  The only reason this isn’t a touchdown is the bad throw from Wilson.  These are the types of plays missing from the Titans offense because they rarely attacked down the field, which allowed defenses to be far more aggressive.

GIFPaul-Richardson-Play-6_still_tmp.jpeg

Notice how well he manipulates the hips of the deep safety on this play with his route, and then score the touchdown.  Once again, showing up as the deep threat on the team, which allows the underneath game to thrive.

GIFPaul-Richardson-Play-7_still_tmp.jpeg

This is a play in which Richardson isn’t involved for the touchdown.  However, the defensive formation should be familiar to Titans fans because the Patriots used it in the playoffs consistently.  There is a deep safety, along with another safety playing closer to the linebackers.  The whole idea of the play is to take away lanes in the intermediate area, while having help against screen passes and runs.  How do the Seahawks attack it?  They send Richardson and Tyler Lockett (another 4.40 runner at the combine) down the field and the deep safety bites towards Richardson.  The Patriots used this defense consistently, yet the Titans offense refused to throw the ball down the field on a consistent basis.

GIFPaul-Richardson-Play-8_still_tmp.jpeg

Single high safety, so naturally the offense attacks deep.  Richardson had over 100 yards in this game, with two touchdowns (as well as a negated touchdown thanks to a chop block penalty on Seattle), yet this is the play I wanted to highlight.  Look at the respect given to Richardson on this play, on a 2nd and 2 situation because this is a free first down on any route besides a go route.  The other thing to note is how wide he’s lined up, because watch how the linebacker reacts on this play.  If Richardson is lined up close to the line of scrimmage, the linebacker can back up into coverage easily.  However, since Richardson is lined up further away from the line of scrimmage, the linebacker is effectively taken out of pass defense, and has to concentrate on the running back.  Spacing is another area of concern for the new coaching staff to address for the Titans.

GIFPaul-Richardson-Play-9_still_tmp.jpeg

Just another example of him running down the field, and manipulating the hips of the safety.  The play also exemplifies his ability to high point the ball because the positioning of this throw actually helps the safety.  Wilson can’t quite step into this throw, which allows it to float near midfield, but Richardson outjumps the safety to make the critical catch.

Seattle Success:

I mentioned Kippy Brown before and he coached the receivers in Seattle from 2010 to 2014, and they’ve had a couple of young receivers leave with potential from 2010 to 2017.  Let’s take a look:

Golden Tate:  In his last year with the Seahawks (Age 25 season), he caught 64 passes for 898 yards, 5 TDs on 99 targets with a catch percentage of 64%, and a yards per catch of 14.0.  In Detroit, he has 4 straight seasons of 90+ receptions along with three seasons of eclipsing the 1000 yards mark, along with 1 Pro-Bowl.  He made a significant leap in year 1 after leaving the Seattle attack, which is more based on spreading the ball around.

Jermaine Kearse:  He’s fell out of favor in Seattle, partially because he didn’t set a good pick play on the infamous Super Bowl interception.  He was traded as part of the Sheldon Richardson deal, and also enjoyed a career year.  In his second to last season with Seattle (Age 26 season), he caught 41 passes for 510 yards, with 1 TD on 89 targets for a catch percentage of 46.1 on the year.  He had a yards per catch of 12.4 for the Seahawks.  In his first year with the Jets, he had career highs in yards (810), TDs (5), Targets (102), Receptions (65) and a catch rate of 63.7% on the year.  It’s important to remember that he was on a Jets team that lacked talent on offense to an extreme length.

Disclaimer:  Percy Harvin also left Seattle during his time, and it didn’t end quite so well.  However, I believe the main culprit for him were injuries, so I decided to exclude him as the third option.  Also, it rather helps my argument to not have him included.

I’m not saying Richardson is bound to improve on his numbers, but both Tate and Kearse have shown considerable improvement after finding new teams, and moving up on the pecking order.  Tate became the No. 2 option at first alongside Calvin Johnson (actually out-performed him that year) while Kearse became the de-facto No. 1 receiver for the Jets last year.

On the Titans, Richardson would the 2nd or 3rd receiver (depending on your evaluation of Matthews) but adds an extremely important speed factor to the offense.

Contract:  It’s hard to estimate at this point.  Fieldgulls (An extremely well-run site for the Seahawks – which I highly recommend if you are a fan of football) ran an estimate of 5 years, $31-40 million contract.  Here is the link

That website also has a great YouTube channel, and here is a video of Richardson prior to last year.

They have absolutely great breakdowns, and I can’t recommend them enough.

Overall, I believe Richardson is a great fit for the Titans.  A receiving core of Davis/Richardson/Taylor with Matthews as the veteran and Sharpe as the wildcard bodes well for the future.  The team lacked deep threats and the addition of Richardson will cause defenses to ease up on their aggressiveness at the line of scrimmage.  I used examples from Jacksonville and Houston (since Vrabel got a close up look) to show that he’s somewhat under-rated on the open market.

Please check back in weekly for other articles on the website.  I plan on doing some free agent targets as well as draft targets after the combine.  After free agent signings and draft selections, I’ll write some scouting reports with breakdowns.

Questions:

1. How much would you pay Richardson? What is your reasoning for the number?
  2. Would you sign Richardson or focus elsewhere on the roster? If so, why?

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I think he would be an ideal replacement for the troubled Robbie Anderson 

He could be, and doesn't really force them to move on from Robbie this year either.  

Enunwa/Richardson/Kearse/Robby can work well if Enunwa is eased back into action, and acts more as a TE than anything.  

3 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Any suggested lakes in Tennessee for a vacation / retirement cottage?  

No State income tax, lots of land, few hurricanes and a few good cities could make a good place to spend the golden years 

Any brochures for single family homes with acre property? :)

If Kirk Cousins happens, it would be nice to surround him with (familiar type) weapons and his favorite target last year was Jamison Crowder, a very Paul Richardsony type receiver; So yeah, target him in FA.  If we miss out, DJ Moore is a nice consolation prize. 

Also like the idea of drafting TE Dallas Goedert, to be our Jordan Reedsy joker back. 

47 minutes ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Any suggested lakes in Tennessee for a vacation / retirement cottage?  

No State income tax, lots of land, few hurricanes and a few good cities could make a good place to spend the golden years 

Vacation wise, Smoky mountains are probably the best, cabins, white water rafting, nice views.  Just stay away from Memphis, especially during the night.  I went there for a Grizzlies game (4 rows away from court side went for $45 per seat on stubhub) and we got out after the game hungry.  Figured, we would stop by a restaurant and I swear a block away from the arena was like a scene out of the Wire.  I grew up in the Bronx, and even I was like, Damn.  

I would say Nashville, although prices are going high now, and they are expanding pretty fast.  I think it's the odds on favorite for the new Amazon second headquarters (although I still think Austin wins it) and there is a lot of development.   

Positives:

Relatively low crime- Places such as Memphis (major gang wars), St. Louis, Chicago are going through high crime and a ton of people are moving.  

New Houses - The city is expanding fast, so more and more developers are making new houses, so people get the latest amenities.  

People are very nice - I didn't believe it living in NY (neither did my wife when she first moved here) but people are extremely friendly.  We go back to NY from time to time, and honestly feel like outsiders even though we both grew up there from our childhoods.  

Weather is nice - Barely any snow (maybe a couple of inches a year), not humid, so it doesn't feel balmy like Florida.  I was talking with someone and I think this is the biggest catalyst for expansion in the future.  Warmer waters mean stronger storms for hurricanes, so people on the coast are going to face rougher hurricanes. Not really a tornado zone, so don't have to worry about it.  

Political Mix - I think everyone kinda assumes the South is all card carrying Republicans, but Nashville itself is mixed, if not leaning liberal, so I think both sides fit in and get along.  

No State Taxes:  Makes a huge difference on the paycheck.  In NY, it was state, county, city, and like anything else they could think of.  No tolls either.  

Cheaper:  Gas is about 50 cents per gallon cheaper from NY, insurance is cheaper (my car insurance was cut in half when I moved).

Downside: Not a ton of attractions like NY.  I didn't really care as much because once I'm married and all, I'm not exactly club hopping or dropping money on spontaneous trips.  We can drive to a bunch of places (Florida/Texas/Chicago/Indy) but nothing nearby.  

Food:  You can't beat NY food, just no way around it.  Although I guess "trying" to be healthy and eating at home works, but I miss NY food.  I day dream about NY Pizza, lol.  

I think besides the food, everything fits a family better.  Safer places, friendly people, better houses, milder winters.  I think a lot of people just have trouble leaving their hometown (and I hated the first few months here), but it's probably one of the best cities to move to.  Young and single? Much better off in a big city like NY or LA.  

For retiring, I liked Fontana Lake.  Although, I don't know how it is to live there.  I just visited and it looked beautiful, and they have cabins with great views.  It's pretty much on the border of Tennessee/NC.

43 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Any brochures for single family homes with acre property? :)

There are plenty, lol.  Just name your price point.  

The one good thing about expansion is that the city is expanding outwards, so there are areas that just used to country homes, being torn down for sub-divisions and new homes.  You can pretty much 2 acres and build your home exactly how you want.  

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If i was running the show, I would ditch Robbie, sign Richardson as our X, and M. Lee as our Z, leave kearse in the slot and move on. 

I would look into signing Richardson, although I do think he's a better for a team like the Titans.  

I wouldn't drop Robbie since he doesn't cost us anything, but I would cut back on his plays.  His off the field issues are getting lengthy.  

Speaking of off the field issues:  Macc works his usual magic and trades for a mid 7th round pick:  You take a shot on Antonio Callaway?

18 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

If Kirk Cousins happens, it would be nice to surround him with (familiar type) weapons and his favorite target last year was Jamison Crowder, a very Paul Richardsony type receiver; So yeah, target him in FA.  If we miss out, DJ Moore is a nice consolation prize. 

Also like the idea of drafting TE Dallas Goedert, to be our Jordan Reedsy joker back. 

Yeah, if we sign Cousins, then it's a win now team because it doesn't make sense to have the highest paid QB while rebuilding.  At that point, I would try to sign receivers like Richardson, maybe Watkins even (I am a sucker for potential), or Lee, and find a running back.  I LOVED LJ Scott as a running back pick this year, but of course he went back to school.  I would go draft heavy on OL then.  

How about Deon Cain?  I haven't heard that much buzz on him, yet.  However, I liked his potential and he seemed to do decent at Clemson.  He could be a cheaper option unless he blows up at the combine.  

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

Speaking of off the field issues:  Macc works his usual magic and trades for a mid 7th round pick:  You take a shot on Antonio Callaway?

Hell yea! That's value baby... Scarlett made the right choice to go back... I don't know how i feel on Callaway declaring - but he did. And i like him. 

15 hours ago, win4ever said:

First of all, I write about the Titans now (I live in Nashville and work in real estate, so home base) and just launched a new site (Thanks Phil).  I've been writing up some off-season targets (For the Titans).

So, are you a Titans fan now?  No more weekly Jets break downs?

That would give me sadness. 

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Hell yea! That's value baby... Scarlett made the right choice to go back... I don't know how i feel on Callaway declaring - but he did. And i like him. 

Yeah, I'm starting to lean for it as well.  Over the years, I've come to realize that my moral high horse buckles right around the midway point of the 6th round.  

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

when Seattle traded Kearse, I thought that it was pretty clear they intend to stick with Richardson as their #2 WR.  I wasn't even aware he is on the market.

For them, I believe they have a numbers crunch this year with the cap.  I believe Graham is a free agent as well, and they really need Offensive line help.  Also, resign Sheldon.  Lockett sort of replaces Richardson, and I think Daboh can act as the slot guy for now.   

3 hours ago, JiF said:

So, are you a Titans fan now?  No more weekly Jets break downs?

That would give me sadness. 

Oh no.  Still a Jets fan, but I follow the Titans as my local team now, because I just have so much more access.  Also, working in real estate, I talk to so many fans of the Titans that I figured I might as well start a website. 

I didn't do the weekly breakdowns this year, because to be honest, I couldn't care less about a McCown led offense.  It was a train ride to mediocrity and I just felt it wasn't worth wasting my time to get frustrated about the offense.  As long as we get a young guy, or Cousins, I'll be back next year with it.  I might make the articles shorter, because I'll be writing about the Titans too, so less time.   Although I have major problems with being concise, lol.

Also, writing a real estate blog too (starting it this week).  All in all, a ton of writing.  

Robby is a better player than Richardson... and I don't think it is even that close. Robby is more threatening to a defense, and has proven to be more durable..  despite the skinny frame so many of you seem to dwell on.

Robby did what he did as the #1 focus of a defense with McCown.  P-Rich was the #3 focus behind Baldwin and Graham with Wilson at QB.

Off the field is a different story.

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

Yeah, I'm starting to lean for it as well.  Over the years, I've come to realize that my moral high horse buckles right around the midway point of the 6th round.  

For them, I believe they have a numbers crunch this year with the cap.  I believe Graham is a free agent as well, and they really need Offensive line help.  Also, resign Sheldon.  Lockett sort of replaces Richardson, and I think Daboh can act as the slot guy for now.   

Oh no.  Still a Jets fan, but I follow the Titans as my local team now, because I just have so much more access.  Also, working in real estate, I talk to so many fans of the Titans that I figured I might as well start a website. 

I didn't do the weekly breakdowns this year, because to be honest, I couldn't care less about a McCown led offense.  It was a train ride to mediocrity and I just felt it wasn't worth wasting my time to get frustrated about the offense.  As long as we get a young guy, or Cousins, I'll be back next year with it.  I might make the articles shorter, because I'll be writing about the Titans too, so less time.   Although I have major problems with being concise, lol.

Also, writing a real estate blog too (starting it this week).  All in all, a ton of writing.  

Right on.  I get it.  I'm in Jax and follow them as well.  I cant help but be surrounded by it.  I listen to local sports talk radio because they often cover the Gators and one of my favorite local guys (who happens to be a Florida Alum as well) is also a Mets fan, so I'm always tuning in.  Naturally, the Jags take up most of the air time and then you bump into all the players because its such a small town and you cant help but start to get engaged as sports fanatic like myself.  Die hard Jets fan but I was pulling for the Jags in the playoffs, especially in the AFCC game. ha

I totally get why you wouldnt put that much time into a 39 year old journeyman and kind look forward to next season if/when we get a new guy, hopefully.

19 hours ago, win4ever said:

He could be, and doesn't really force them to move on from Robbie this year either.  

Enunwa/Richardson/Kearse/Robby can work well if Enunwa is eased back into action, and acts more as a TE than anything.  

Win4ever....just curious.....are you the poster formally known as jets5ever?

vinny testverde....yea....

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Robby is a better player than Richardson... and I don't think it is even that close. Robby is more threatening to a defense, and has proven to be more durable..  despite the skinny frame so many of you seem to dwell on.

Robby did what he did as the #1 focus of a defense with McCown.  P-Rich was the #3 focus behind Baldwin and Graham with Wilson at QB.

Off the field is a different story.

Anderson is a better pure deep threat than Richardson, but in terms of intermediate routes, and fundamentals, I like Richardson better.  

The issue with Anderson is really the off the field stuff because he seems to be heading straight into trouble.  If off the field stuff is out the window, I'd keep Anderson because of his contract and injury history, but how confident can you be that he stays out of trouble?

Saying all this, even if we sign Richardson, I wouldn't drop Anderson.  

2 hours ago, JiF said:

Right on.  I get it.  I'm in Jax and follow them as well.  I cant help but be surrounded by it.  I listen to local sports talk radio because they often cover the Gators and one of my favorite local guys (who happens to be a Florida Alum as well) is also a Mets fan, so I'm always tuning in.  Naturally, the Jags take up most of the air time and then you bump into all the players because its such a small town and you cant help but start to get engaged as sports fanatic like myself.  Die hard Jets fan but I was pulling for the Jags in the playoffs, especially in the AFCC game. ha

I totally get why you wouldnt put that much time into a 39 year old journeyman and kind look forward to next season if/when we get a new guy, hopefully.

Yeah, I agree, it's impossible not to get caught up in the local sports scene.  I talk about the Jets and most people here don't know much outside of the national media BS like the butt fumble or Rex Ryan talking too much.  I started to watch the Titans, partially because I used to watch Mariota a lot in college, and just grew to understand the team pretty well.  No where near the level of the Jets, but somewhat decent.  

Lol, I was rooting heavy for the Jags too, but being a Jets fan, you knew Brady was coming back.  As soon as they started to play scared, I just had that feeling it was over.  I went to a SB party here, and we were all waiting for that Brady comeback, and got shocked when he fumbled.  At that point, I was just hoping they would score quick and leave some time for the Eagles to push for a FG.   

Yeah, I didn't think anyone really cared how McCown was going about his game.  I'd be super excited about a young prospect because then you can chart the progress and see where they are going.  

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

No. The Jets already have 5 #3 receivers on the roster.

unless you want to chance it on Watkins or areal potential #1 threat, use money on upgrading the offensive line.

I think Watkins is supposed to be tagged.  

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Win4ever....just curious.....are you the poster formally known as jets5ever?

vinny testverde....yea....

Nope, I think I've used this one since '04 or so on a baseball site. I signed up for JI under that name, and then here.  I was on TGG for a bit, but left because they kept combining every single post into one mega thread for a player, and I thought it was stupid.  I think the only other name I used is The King Maker, which was for Rotoworld.  

1 hour ago, BrickTamland said:

I posted this idea recently but some dude on here killed me for it 

Lol, I think the WR market is going to take shape after the franchise tag date.  Already see Landry tagged, Robinson most likely tagged, and Watkins about to be tagged as well.  

2 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

I posted this idea recently but some dude on here killed me for it 

That would be me and still don’t like the idea of it. I’m sorry.??‍♂️ 

We need a clear cut #1 WR and if he isn’t in FA then you take a shot in the draft at a WR with that type of body size and ceiling.(I.E James Washington, St. Brown)

36 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

But its not really true though ... and Washington is 5'11"

But Washington’s wingspan is absolutely ridiculous making him very capable of 50/50 balls with taller CB’s in an smaller AJ Green type of way. 

Dude’s arms are long as hell. But anyway, what is not true? That Paul Richardson is not a #1WR? I beg to differ on a extreme level lol. He’s not a #1 guy. 

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

That would be me and still don’t like the idea of it. I’m sorry.??‍♂️ 

We need a clear cut #1 WR and if he isn’t in FA then you take a shot in the draft at a WR with that type of body size and ceiling.(I.E James Washington, St. Brown)

I love St. Brown as an option in the second, I think he's criminally under-rated.  

37 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

But Washington’s wingspan is absolutely ridiculous making him very capable of 50/50 balls with taller CB’s in an smaller AJ Green type of way. 

Dude’s arms are long as hell. But anyway, what is not true? That Paul Richardson is not a #1WR? I beg to differ on a extreme level lol. He’s not a #1 guy. 

I don't think anyone is arguing for Richardson to be a No. 1, but adding Richardson would be better than the dearth of options out there right now.  Pryor? I'd rather have Richardson, same with Lee.  Moncrief has potential to be very good, but he certainly hasn't shown it yet.  There isn't a true No. 1 option out there, if we consider Landry, Watkins, Robinson off the board with possible tags.  

I think the only true guy that I think can be an immediate 1 without much doubt is Calvin Ridley, but 6 is too early for him.  I like a bunch of guys in the 2nd-4th range, but those are mere risk based picks based on upside.   

Signing Richardson does two things.  Kearse/Richardson/Anderson/Enunwa gives the Jets a young core of guys with talent, even if they don't have a true No. 1 there.  It gives two deep threats in Anderson/Richardson which wreaks havoc on safeties because they have to adjust coverage.

Also, Richardson acts as the safety net for Anderson's legal issues.  If he screws up and gets suspended and jailed, we can move on without needing a speed specific guy next year, but rather focus our efforts on finding the No. 1 guy.  

I think Richardson is sort of the better of the options available type signing rather than the answer to all our problems signing.  Allen Robinson is the answer to all our problems signing, but he is most likely tagged.  

1 minute ago, win4ever said:

I love St. Brown as an option in the second, I think he's criminally under-rated.  

I don't think anyone is arguing for Richardson to be a No. 1, but adding Richardson would be better than the dearth of options out there right now.  Pryor? I'd rather have Richardson, same with Lee.  Moncrief has potential to be very good, but he certainly hasn't shown it yet.  There isn't a true No. 1 option out there, if we consider Landry, Watkins, Robinson off the board with possible tags.  

I think the only true guy that I think can be an immediate 1 without much doubt is Calvin Ridley, but 6 is too early for him.  I like a bunch of guys in the 2nd-4th range, but those are mere risk based picks based on upside.   

Signing Richardson does two things.  Kearse/Richardson/Anderson/Enunwa gives the Jets a young core of guys with talent, even if they don't have a true No. 1 there.  It gives two deep threats in Anderson/Richardson which wreaks havoc on safeties because they have to adjust coverage.

Also, Richardson acts as the safety net for Anderson's legal issues.  If he screws up and gets suspended and jailed, we can move on without needing a speed specific guy next year, but rather focus our efforts on finding the No. 1 guy.  

I think Richardson is sort of the better of the options available type signing rather than the answer to all our problems signing.  Allen Robinson is the answer to all our problems signing, but he is most likely tagged.  

I understand and agree with your points behind signing someone like Richardson, I just have trouble pushing Hansen down the depth chart without him even getting his true chance. Our 3rd and 4th rounders were basically for nothing if we do add another #3 type of player. At least with a big bodied/ long #1 type target, you can still play your guys in the appropriate position instead of forcing 4 or 5 #2 and #3 options into maximum playing time at different positions. You present a good idea with the match up problems it would give other teams ... I just would hate to practically give up on the WR’s we already picked after 20-25 snaps all season combined.

Archived