If Jets sign Cousins, do we keep all picks or trade down at #6 for bonanza of draft picks?

SouthernJet

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

If Cousins signs, Jets may find some team wanting a QB at #6 in 1st round and could pick up a latewr 1st rounder plus a few picks giving us a huge haul in helping rebuild this team quickly. Thoughts?

Would be the smart thing since we have a million holes everywhere. But Mac doesn’t believe we have a million holes everywhere. It could be the last chance for teams to grab 1 of the 4 qbs if still there at 6. Would be great to go back to mid teens, grab another 2nd round pick. The “Maybe” let Bowles pick 1 D player out of the top 4 picks. 

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Depends on the offer, we will be in prime position to get a top non QB in this draft if we stay put. How much do you think a team would give up to potentially select the 3rd or 4th best QB that wasn't able to trade up to pick 3 or 4 both of which seem to make sense for a trade down?

agree, I wouldnt trade down for crap offer if a 6-8 year potential AllPro year starter is there at #6. Would have ot be sweet deal for a desparate team who neeeds a QB

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Would be the smart thing since we have a million holes everywhere. But Mac doesn’t believe we have a million holes everywhere. It could be the last chance for teams to grab 1 of the 4 qbs if still there at 6. Would be great to go back to mid teens, grab another 2nd round pick. The “Maybe” let Bowles pick 1 D player out of the top 4 picks. 

Ya my thinking is if we get Cousins I am HOPING a team needs a QB and as you say if 1 of the studs drops to 6 we are in great bargaining position (for once LOL)

The #6 pick will not be a trading destination for a QB starved team. Those teams will either try to get ahead of Denver, or try to get to the 11-12 area. The four teams picking after the Jets are set at QB and are unlikely to take one. So will someone give up a bounty of picks for a guard or a safety? That's the question. 

If we get Cousins I think a trade down would be good. It would depend on the offer fro me. Also it would depend on who was there as you mentioned above. 

What would you do if we signed cousins and either Rosen or Darnold were there at 6, I know its unlikely but since we are talking hypotheticals..... 

I think I suck it up and make the pick for Rosen or Darnold and figure it out later.

9 minutes ago, slats said:

The #6 pick will not be a trading destination for a QB starved team. Those teams will either try to get ahead of Denver, or try to gto the 11-12 area. The four teams picking after the Jets are set at QB and are unlikely to take one. So will someone give up a bounty of picks for a guard or a safety? That's the question. 

Until you reach the Cardinals and then eventually the Bills, who I highly doubt would the Jets would be open to trading with. 

That said, I wouldnt be shocked to see the Dolphins or Chargers get involved too depending on who is out there.

10 minutes ago, slats said:

The #6 pick will not be a trading destination for a QB starved team. Those teams will either try to get ahead of Denver, or try to get to the 11-12 area. The four teams picking after the Jets are set at QB and are unlikely to take one. So will someone give up a bounty of picks for a guard or a safety? That's the question. 

This 1000% right here.  If the Jets grab Cousins teams will be looking to move up to 4 or not until 10 because the next team that would arguably take a QB is Miami.

6 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen will all go before 6, which is why we need Cousins. Take the all pro at 6, Barkley, Chubb or Nelson

I love how everyone automactically assumes Barkley, Chubb and Nelson are going to be All-Pros but when it comes to drafting Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or Allen its a "crapshoot".

There are zero guarantees in the draft.

1 minute ago, IndianaJet said:

I love how everyone automactically assumes Barkley, Chubb and Nelson are going to be All-Pros but when it comes to drafting Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield or Allen its a "crapshoot".

Don't know about All-Pro status for these guys yet, but 

Allen is the "crapshoot" of this draft. He is projected too high based on scouts loving his arm and mobility and using the Wentz comps...  wentz coaches, system, similar size... what they don't have him common.... Wentz was good, the only questions were competition and his injury. Allen has question marks about his accuracy which is not good. I don't need to go into the whole Allen has the lowest floor stuff here.

Stay put and take either Barkley, Chubb or Nelson.

One of them is bound to be there at #6 and all 3 are studs at positions of need.

Barkley...potentially the next LaDainian Tomlinson.

Chubb...potentially the next Terrell Suggs.

Nelson...potentially the next Larry Allen.

I’d be thrilled with any of them provided that we land Cousins.

32 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I think Darnold will be great. I just see no scenario the Jets land him

8 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Unless Chubb is there. Trade down. Can get a good RB later on. 

Not being knowledgeable about the players' strengths and weaknesses, if he's really supposed to be all that, I'd 100% agree. 

Edge rusher, or trade down. No other position is typically worth bypassing a slightly later 1st round pick plus another pick in round 2 or 3. Every year there are prospects who are touted as the next _____ at their position, and end up being just ok or outright busts. 

Edge rushers like that just don't hit free agency until they're 30-32 yrs old. They're not available at any price, and if they were it'd be at Von Miller's QB money (only reason Denver got him at $22m is they had him under control for 2 more seasons at less than that; he'd have gotten more as a pure, untagged UFA). 

Every other premiere position you can be found later in round 1, and the difference is rarely worth the failure to trade down. Plus keep in mind they can always trade back up again if the trade down is too low.

Of course if we don't trade down, we'll be treated to dozens of posts suggesting it wasn't possible for us (even though it was possible for those behind us). 

45 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

This 1000% right here.  If the Jets grab Cousins teams will be looking to move up to 4 or not until 10 because the next team that would arguably take a QB is Miami.

The Eagle, iirc, moved up from 13 to 8 and then again to 2.  I don't think they would have gotten from 13 to 2 in one swoop as CLE may not have wanted to trade down that far.  That twist does put the 6th pick in play as a stepping stone for a team such as CIN or ARI looking to get up to the top 4. 

I'm also not remotely convinced that all four of the top prospects will go in the top 5 picks.  With BUF lurking with their two picks as well as CIN and ARI, none of them, including MIA, can really afford to wait until their pick to guarantee getting the last of them.  If we are amenable to trading down, I think the pick would be in play although the price might not be right.

50 minutes ago, Jet Life said:

Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield and Allen will all go before 6, which is why we need Cousins. Take the all pro at 6, Barkley, Chubb or Nelson

rosen could fall. he can't keep his mouth shut. The Jets would also pass on him in this scenario. 

10 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Trade down is always a nice and easy idea. You know what's better? SPECIFICS.

IT's easy you take the number 6 pick up the window behind the caged bars and the nice cashier lady says "do you want hundreds??" and you say "yeah why not?" cause you are feeling like a real dick swinging dude. Don't forget to tip. 

There are three or four offensive tackles (Orlando Brown, Mike McGlinchey,  Brian O'Neill, maybe Kolton Miller) predicted to go anywhere between picks 10-30... I would be perfectly fine with trading down if they were able to grab one of them. 

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

Ya my thinking is if we get Cousins I am HOPING a team needs a QB and as you say if 1 of the studs drops to 6 we are in great bargaining position (for once LOL)

If we or Denver doesn’t get cousins those so called “ studs “ ha will likely be gone by 6.  Then Bowles may be dancing at the chance he gets to pick Fitzpatrick at 6 ?

31 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Trade down is always a nice and easy idea. You know what's better? SPECIFICS.

Okay.  Here is a completely made up scenario that is specific.  CIN decides they want to get Allen or Mayfield, and they set up conditional trades with both DEN and NYJ assuming they will definitely have the opportunity to get one at either slot.  Both are available at #5 so even if DEN takes one, they wait for our pick and we trade.  They get #6.  We get #12, #46 and a little extra, maybe a 2019 3rd rounder for something in the pot next year.  

Now we have 3 2nd rounders, which definitely gives us the flexibility to trade up to the lower part of the 1st round (either two 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd) for a 2nd dip in the well this year.  Let's say we combine the CIN pick with our 3rd rounder and end up with #29, giving us 12, 29, 37 and 49 in the top 3 rounds.  

Some possibilities with the lower first pick:

(12) - Orlando Brown, Tremaine Edwards, Calvin Ripley

Then you still have 3 premium picks to fill in major needs.

This is a GREAT question. Clearly you trade down. Love how some posters are saying stay put "and take the all-pro", as if that's some kind of given. If Barkley or Chubb is on the board I would look long and hard and consider taking them. Otherwise I'm trading out and picking up an additional 1st in the 2019 draft. That's how good franchises keep the cupboard stocked. 

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Okay.  Here is a completely made up scenario that is specific.  CIN decides they want to get Allen or Mayfield, and they set up conditional trades with both DEN and NYJ assuming they will definitely have the opportunity to get one at either slot.  Both are available at #5 so even if DEN takes one, they wait for our pick and we trade.  They get #6.  We get #12, #46 and a little extra, maybe a 2019 3rd rounder for something in the pot next year.  

Now we have 3 2nd rounders, which definitely gives us the flexibility to trade up to the lower part of the 1st round (either two 2nds or a 2nd and a 3rd) for a 2nd dip in the well this year.  Let's say we combine the CIN pick with our 3rd rounder and end up with #29, giving us 12, 29, 37 and 49 in the top 3 rounds.  

Some possibilities with the lower first pick:

(12) - Orlando Brown, Tremaine Edwards, Calvin Ripley

Then you still have 3 premium picks to fill in major needs.

Nice work!

if we get cousins, mccagnan will take nelson.  there don't seem to be enough elite players to trade back and still get one, the tackles are all iffy, there are no wrs to take in the first round and the pass rushers are riskier than usual.  so i see him taking the prospect with the lowest bust potential, as usual.  he's got 2 picks in the 2nd round and i don't think there's much need to overthink how he'll approach the draft if he has cousins.

1 minute ago, Jet Life said:

It will depend on what the Giants do. Browns, Denver, and a trade up to 4 by Buffalo or Arizona are likely 

the jets/denver loser of the cousins sweepstakes is a good candidate to trade up.  i can see the giants trading back with either denver or the jets, then taking chubb or fitzpatrick, esp. since apple is a bust.  

1 hour ago, SouthernJet said:

If Cousins signs, Jets may find some team wanting a QB at #6 in 1st round and could pick up a latewr 1st rounder plus a few picks giving us a huge haul in helping rebuild this team quickly. Thoughts?

If the Jets sign Cousins, they should:

1. Draft at least two starting quality O-Linemen in the first two rounds.

2. Draft at least one playmaker of offense in the first two rounds, RB or WR.

3. Draft at least one WR by Round 3.

If we pay 30+ million a year for Cousins, the team needs to be re-built to support him fully.  A stout O-Line, and enough skill position talent to score points regularly and often.

Sadly, I just don't see THIS Jets Management team going that route.   I expect they'll think "Cousins is enough" and trot him our poorly supported by a makeshift O-Line and questionable skill position talent, and instead use their three top 2 round picks to do what they always do, draft defense.

Archived