If Jets sign Cousins, do we keep all picks or trade down at #6 for bonanza of draft picks?

SouthernJet

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the Jets sign Cousins, they should:

1. Draft at least two starting quality O-Linemen in the first two rounds.

2. Draft at least one playmaker of offense in the first two rounds, RB or WR.

3. Draft at least one WR by Round 3.

If we pay 30+ million a year for Cousins, the team needs to be re-built to support him fully.  A stout O-Line, and enough skill position talent to score points regularly and often.

Sadly, I just don't see THIS Jets Management team going that route.   I expect they'll think "Cousins is enough" and trot him our poorly supported by a makeshift O-Line and questionable skill position talent, and instead use their three top 2 round picks to do what they always do, draft defense.

i can see cousins in a meeting with mccags and bowles, pressing them about how they would build an offense around him when the franchise hasn't drafted an offensive player in the first round in a decade.  i really think cousins is NOT coming here.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, slats said:

The #6 pick will not be a trading destination for a QB starved team. Those teams will either try to get ahead of Denver, or try to get to the 11-12 area. The four teams picking after the Jets are set at QB and are unlikely to take one. So will someone give up a bounty of picks for a guard or a safety? That's the question. 

Agreed.  Our best bet for a trade down is if Barkley or Chubb are still on the board and someone wants to jump Tampa to get their guy.

1 hour ago, DMan77 said:

There are three or four offensive tackles (Orlando Brown, Mike McGlinchey,  Brian O'Neill, maybe Kolton Miller) predicted to go anywhere between picks 10-30... I would be perfectly fine with trading down if they were able to grab one of them. 

Alex Kappa is my sleeper and I would grab him later on.

2 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

Cousins useless to us if we dont dramatically rebuild offLine w/3 new starters via both Free Agency and top draft picks (1st 3 rounds)

i actually think our OL is not as bad as people make it out to be. Center was an issue last year, Winters was hurt, and the sh*t play at Center really hurt our guard play in general.

- we def need a center

- id go with Carpenter and Winters at G

- i would upgrade RT if there is an opportunity to do so, but Shell is not a bad player

Just now, k-met57 said:

i actually think our OL is not as bad as people make it out to be. Center was an issue last year, Winters was hurt, and the sh*t play at Center really hurt our guard play in general.

- we def need a center

- i would upgrade RT if there is an opportunity to do so, but Shell is not a bad player

not a winters fan. way too many penalties.

23 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Ok but he played really well 2 years ago and hurt last year...it’s not a hole we need to fill...and god knows we have plenty of others.

I think he may end up as a backup next year,, good backup, but a backup

43 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

- we def need a center

I agree not as bad but love have to have a OL ii the 2nd round, or trade back get 1 with 1 st round, then solid RB in 2nd

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

If the Jets sign Cousins, they should:

1. Draft at least two starting quality O-Linemen in the first two rounds.

2. Draft at least one playmaker of offense in the first two rounds, RB or WR.

3. Draft at least one WR by Round 3.

If we pay 30+ million a year for Cousins, the team needs to be re-built to support him fully.  A stout O-Line, and enough skill position talent to score points regularly and often.

Sadly, I just don't see THIS Jets Management team going that route.   I expect they'll think "Cousins is enough" and trot him our poorly supported by a makeshift O-Line and questionable skill position talent, and instead use their three top 2 round picks to do what they always do, draft defense.

I hope you are wrong, this draft and off season is great time to get what we need. I really like the idea of using the 1st rounder on stud RB Edge guy, and get OL in 2nd, or trade back, get stud OL and then in 2nd get RB/WR/ Edge rusher...

I def think we will get cousins and do not think with that type of money going to him and how starved we are as a franchise QB that they will not pick up some OL in Free Agency and draft like 2 or 3 guys, 100% they use 1st or 2nd rounder for at least one.  They will not trust Powell to tote the rock so it will be Mcguire and Powell most likely all year.

5 minutes ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

I agree not as bad but love have to have a OL ii the 2nd round, or trade back get 1 with 1 st round, then solid RB in 2nd

i dare to dream but what we want isn't what mccags is going to do.  if he signs cousins, he'll still take BAP at 6, which could be nelson, barkley or fitzpatrick.  the guy sticks to his board no matter what.  in the 2nd round, expect 1 of those picks to be defense.  so even if he takes fitzpatrick or chubb in the first round, the 2nd round will not be 2 offensive players.  

Jets should make two offers to Cousins.  The one he cannot refuse because of they money involved and the one where they show him if he takes a little less "this is what we can do to address other needs".  Lets see if Captain Kirk can start off being the franchise by leaving just a little of what is a huge contract on the table to help his new team.

9 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Jets should make two offers to Cousins.  The one he cannot refuse because of they money involved and the one where they show him if he takes a little less "this is what we can do to address other needs".  Lets see if Captain Kirk can start off being the franchise by leaving just a little of what is a huge contract on the table to help his new team.

lol, what are you, new?

Nobody does that.  Even the ones the sports "media" says did it....didn't.

/chuckle

3 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Would be the smart thing since we have a million holes everywhere. But Mac doesn’t believe we have a million holes everywhere. It could be the last chance for teams to grab 1 of the 4 qbs if still there at 6. Would be great to go back to mid teens, grab another 2nd round pick. The “Maybe” let Bowles pick 1 D player out of the top 4 picks. 

Don't sign Cousins, draft the QB @ 6 or move up, and don't let Bowles pick his nose even

7 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

everyone needs to come to terms with the fact that we are getting Minkah Fitzpatrick.   then we are going to be told he was the highest rated player on the board because of the "flexibility" he gives to the Defense to matchup at corner or slot or safety.    

the guy who would 'fall' into our laps at 6 after losing in the cousins sweepstakes is chubb.  i could see 3 qbs go, minka and barkley.  

i see us scrambling to sign someone like mccarron, after cousins goes to denver.  then mccags feels he can still go BAP in the first round.  we wind up with falk and mccarron.

18 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

the guy who would 'fall' into our laps at 6 after losing in the cousins sweepstakes is chubb.  i could see 3 qbs go, minka and barkley.  

i see us scrambling to sign someone like mccarron, after cousins goes to denver.  then mccags feels he can still go BAP in the first round.  we wind up with falk and mccarron.

There is so much contorting about who the 3rd best QB is and how close 3 and 4 are to 1 and 2.  Some writers have Allen in the top 2.  Others have Mayfield in the top 2.  So when you say 3 QBs, which 3 are you referring to and do you consider the remaining of the top-4 not worthy at 6?  If we don't have Cousins and pass on Allen or Mayfield at 6 - no matter how risky any of us might think they are - you are basically surrendering yet another year to aspiring to be mediocre with no attempt to improve the most glaring deficit.  McCarron is not an answer.  He's barely a consolation prize and if he doesn't come paired with a top QB draft pick, then utter fail.

4 hours ago, SouthernJet said:

If Cousins signs, Jets may find some team wanting a QB at #6 in 1st round and could pick up a latewr 1st rounder plus a few picks giving us a huge haul in helping rebuild this team quickly. Thoughts?

might be a great idea if true but at the 6 pick, you gotta figure just about all of the truly impactful players are gone and the rest might be in the lower half of the first round.  it's kind of the position they were in when they drafted gholston.  but if they didn't need to draft a qb with the 6 pick i'd be looking to trade down even for next years picks.

4 hours ago, slats said:

The #6 pick will not be a trading destination for a QB starved team. Those teams will either try to get ahead of Denver, or try to get to the 11-12 area. The four teams picking after the Jets are set at QB and are unlikely to take one. So will someone give up a bounty of picks for a guard or a safety? That's the question. 

I can see Barkley there.  It's not unfathomable to think that a team would trade up for him. 

1. Saquon Barkley, CLE

2. Josh Rosen, NYG

3. Sam Darnold, DEN *trade*

4. Baker Mayfield, CLE

5. Quenton Nelson, IND *trade

6. We take Chubb, top OT, or trade pick to BUF so they can draft Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson (we get #20, #21, and draft OT, and Billy Price)

1 hour ago, Dcronin said:

Trading down and acquiring picks is the Patriot way. I say hell yes.

Oatriot way is drafting horrible for years, no thank you. 

Just get me a stud on Offense..

Ideal Cousins in FA, stud RB, STUD OL rest is gravy...I want a dude like fornette in the draft. Damn can you imagine our team where we have a franchise QB good line and stud offensive player. Honestly I'm pretty excited for next season, plus our new OC might not call those retarded 3rd and 10 WR out plays with no help against 4 defender...

super excited. 

I think if Chubb or Barkley are there, we have to take them.  If both are gone and if we CAN’T trade down, I would consider Edmunds or Nelson.

I would be more inclined to move down with either of both 2nds.  Let’s pick up extra 3’s and 4’s.  We can take multiple OL prospects like Wyatt, J. Jones types, or depth defenders like T. Thompson or Lorenzo Carter here as well as as our 2018 back up QB in either Falk or Lauletta.

6 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Don't sign Cousins, draft the QB @ 6 or move up, and don't let Bowles pick his nose even

Trade up to 1? Or 3 for mayfield ??. Either way if it comes give that, mac should not pick a D player until the 7th round to punish Bowles for insisting on winning a few meaningless games last yr just so we could give away VALUABLE draft picks later.  

Archived