Colin Cowherd: Cousins should avoid Jets

Patriot Killa

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, chirorob said:

Cowherd is also, truly, one of the stupidest people in sports entertainment.  He knows nothing.  For the life of me, how does this guy earn a living talking sports?  He went off before the season on how the Jets would go 0-16.   He is wrong so often it is literally amazing.

To be fair, maybe he was giving us credit for being competent enough to successfully tank.

Just now, Mike135 said:

I know.  Cousins just isn't someone I'd lose sleep over not signing.

I think he'd be much better in Minnesota or Denver.  Pretty sure he wouldn't really fit in well here.

I’d like to sign him if we can, I also really like the top 3 QB draftees too. So it’s really whatever for me but if Maccagnan does sign him and does what he is suppose to do in order to surround him properly, I don’t think it would be so bad.

Until fans realize that football contracts ARE NOT like contracts in baseball &
basketball they'll continue to minimize money as a major factor.  Contracts in
football ARE NOT guaranteed like they are in baseball & basketball therefore
whoever offers the most guaranteed money in football usually wins

Just now, MDL_JET said:

Why do you think that? 

1.  Washington doesn't want him.  This is absolutely YUGE imo.  "They" say a QB of his caliber in his prime hasn't been available like this in 25 years.  Ok... why?

2.  From what I've seen of him off the field, he does seem pretty... uh... pick a word.  Just not a fit for the area.

I'll still be very excited if we sign him.  There's almost no way to not make a huge splash at QB this off-season.  Cousins to me though is the 7th best option.  After the top 6 rookies.

2 minutes ago, KRL said:

Until fans realize that football contracts ARE NOT like contracts in baseball &
basketball they'll continue to minimize money as a major factor.  Contracts in
football ARE NOT guaranteed like they are in baseball & basketball therefore
whoever offers the most guaranteed money in football usually wins

This sport doesn’t guarantee your longevity or your body so the guaranteed money makes up for that. I agree. Jets will probably win this bid if Cousins feels like it’s close between us and Denver.

You’re the father of a 21 year-old elite QB prospect who just entered the draft. Your child can pick from one of these four teams to play for:

1. Vikings 

2. Jets

3. Jaguars 

4. Broncos

5. Cardinals

Q: Which team do you let him play for? If you answer “the Jets,” you’re lying and/or should self-report to child welfare.

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

1.  Washington doesn't want him.  This is absolutely YUGE imo.  "They" say a QB of his caliber in his prime hasn't been available like this in 25 years.  Ok... why?

2.  From what I've seen of him off the field, he does seem pretty... uh... pick a word.  Just not a fit for the area.

I'll still be very excited if we sign him.  There's almost no way to not make a huge splash at QB this off-season.  Cousins to me though is the 7th best option.  After the top 6 rookies.

This really has been explained time and time again. If you don’t believe it than I suppose to each his own.. I’ve talked to many Redskin fans and I think the writings on the wall and it’s not coming off.

the Skins’ GM’s let their pride, ignorance and stupidity get in the way of the entire process and so they had to save face by trading for Alex Smith and only paying a few dollars less because they couldn’t have just anybody under center.

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

This really has been explained time and time again. If you don’t believe it than I suppose to each his own.. I’ve talked to many Redskin fans and I think the writings on the wall and it’s not coming off.

the Skins’ GM’s let their pride, ignorance and stupidity get in the way of the entire process and so they had to save face by trading for Alex Smith and only paying a few dollars less because they couldn’t have just anybody under center.

Yeah I don't believe that at all.

9 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

False.  Washington wanted him.  They made more than one decent offer over the last two seasons before tagging him each time. They wanted him alright. KC turned them down and took the tag instead.  The offers were for big time money over 4-5 years as well.  THey tried, but egos got in the way on both sides, I think.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

You’re the father of a 21 year-old elite QB prospect who just entered the draft. Your child can pick from one of these four teams to play for:

1. Vikings 

2. Jets

3. Jaguars 

4. Broncos

5. Cardinals

Q: Which team do you let him play for? If you answer “the Jets,” you’re lying and/or should self-report to child welfare.

I’d tell him to go play for any of them and toss some of those millions my way.

Just now, T0mShane said:

1. Vikings 

2. Jets

3. Jaguars 

4. Broncos

5. Cardinals

1.)That’s not how the draft works.

2.) Yeah, I get that you are using this in relevance to the Cousins situation.

3.) It doesn’t work because variations of money and contracts come into play rather than the permanent rookie pay scale and that actually matters.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

1. Because Washington are idiots? They've franchised and payed him a ton, it's not like they weren't trying. Doesn't mean he's a bad QB. 

2. I have no idea what that means. Teammates loved him, media loved him. Not sure I see the problem. 

Yeah I don't believe that at all.

Why don't you read some of the articles to come out of the Washigton Post the last few years and look up fans' opinions on Redskins boards.  There's ample verification of this out there and it has been there for a very long time.  The idea that Washington didn't want him is just plain false.  

Just now, Dcat said:

False.  Washington gave him badly.  They made more than one decent offer over the last two seasons before tagging him each time. They wanted him alright. KC turned them down and took the tag instread.  THe offers were for big time money over 4-5 years as well.

Well something is up.  Because you don't see franchise QBs in their prime hit the market.

I'd prefer not going after fool's gold.

17 minutes ago, chirorob said:

You know, I love making fun of the Browns.

Think about it.   They sign Cousins.   Draft super running back kid #1.  Trade back a little bit for a QB hungry team, take super guard kid, put him next to Joe Thomas on the left side.   When in doubt, just run between the HOF left tackle and the stud left guard with the stud young running back.  Use some of that FA money to sign a center, draft a TE or WR.   They really could have that offense turned around, like really fast.

I think they have some good young weapons in Njoku, Johnson, Coleman and Gordon.  A solid OL.  And some really exciting pieces on D:  Garrett, Shelton, Schoebert, Kirsky, Collins, Peppers, etc.  They remind me of the 1-15 Jets back in the day.  Much better team than their record would indicate.

I love the John Dorsey hire and didnt I read somewhere Scott McLaughlin was a draft consultant for them this year?  Those dudes know talent. 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

1. Because Washington are idiots? They've franchised and payed him a ton, it's not like they weren't trying. Doesn't mean he's a bad QB. 

2. I have no idea what that means. Teammates loved him, media loved him. Not sure I see the problem. 

I think Mike thinks that devout Christians like Cousins shun NYC...  you know... Sodom and Gemorrah.  Cousins would be worried that his wife would turn into a pillar of salt looking at the NY skyline from the Meadowlands.

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Why don't you read some of the articles to come out of the Washigton Post the last few years and look up fans' opinions on Redskins boards.  There's ample verification of this out there and it has been there for a very long time.  The idea that Washington didn't want him is just plain false.  

Media and fan opinion said to pay Fitzpatrick 12 million.

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Ok just my opinion.  I'd much rather a rookie.

Well something is up.  Because you don't see franchise QBs in their prime hit the market.

I'd prefer not going after fool's gold.

You really need to read the ego history that unfolded in Washington between Cousins, Allen and Snyder.  This is a unique case of terrible mismanagement that has allowed a near-unicorn to appear.  It is rare.  Jets would be abject fools not to their best to get him.  

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

Exactly..he was tagged TWICE lol. The money they didn’t want to spend was basically spent on Alex Smith because it was only a few dollars less. They went into panic mode and made the trade for stability.

57 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Cowherd has never liked the Jets.  He doesn't seem terribly enamored with Cousins either.

So, yeah.

He has rarely shown any type of love for us and that’s fine but he’s still a huge douche 99% of the time he speaks. I do expect this out of him which is why I stopped reading halfway through. 

3 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I think Mike thinks that devout Christians like Cousins shun NYC...  you know... Sodom and Gemorrah.  Cousins would be worried that his wife would turn into a pillar of salt looking at the NY skyline from the Meadowlands.

There are plenty of religious folks here.  Why is that a worry?

Media and fan opinion said to pay Fitzpatrick 12 million.

apples and oranges.  And the fans were divided on Fitzpatrick right down the middle.  Most of the savvy fans didn't want the Beard back for any amount of money.  Not so in Washington.  This isn't a matter of "fan" opinion and irresponsible reporting.  The rift was real and the result is a rare appearance of a franchise QB at this stage of his career.   If you are unfamiliar with the zoo known as Washington Redskins, then talk to a Redskins fan.  That front office and owner makes ours look like gold. And 'that' would be fool's gold, BTW.  

If I was Cousins I would avoid the Jets too. This dysfunctional culture we've harbored for decades can only be shed (IMO, properly) by homegrown talent coming into their own, changing our fortunes and creating a new chapter of pride and success. Just don't see that happening with a QB via FA. 

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

apples and oranges.  And the fans were divided on Fitzpatrick right down the middle.  Most of the savvy fans didn't want the Beard back for any amount of money.  Not so in Washington.  This isn't a matter of "fan" opinion and irresponsible reporting.  The rift was real and the result is a rare appearance of a franchise QB at this stage of his career.   If you are unfamiliar with the zoo known as Washington Redskins, then talk to a Redskins fan.  That front office and owner makes ours look like gold. And 'that' would be fool's gold, BTW.  

If he signs here, he'll likely be one of our better QBs.  And I'll be excited for the new season.  (Though I'll be excited even if Hack is the QB.)

However, all things considered, I'd prefer one of the rookies.

7 minutes ago, Paradis said:

If I was Cousins I would avoid the Jets too. This dysfunctional culture we've harbored for decades can only be shed (IMO, properly) by homegrown talent coming into their own, changing our fortunes and creating a new chapter of pride and success. Just don't see that happening with a QB via FA. 

the dysfunctional culture has nothing to do with the players and everything to do with the easy-peasy, anything goes atmosphere that BOTH Rex AND Bowles promote.  Same for Herm Edwards.  Nobody criticized the culture under Parcells, did they?  At least not often enough to even remember.  Culture has everything to do with management.  New players won't change the culture.  That requires new management.  And of a different personality than jumping from one incompetent HC  to another.

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. Vikings 

2. Jets

3. Jaguars 

4. Broncos

5. Cardinals

denver    ;)

:wine:

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

shouldn't be. I don't know why people are making it into something it's not. 

I haven't heard anyone say that.

Admittedly I'm not following things all that closely though.  Maybe I missed it.  

Just know we draft 6th.  And there are 7 QB options I'd be cool with.  So no real worries.

1 hour ago, kelly said:

well,.. i'm hopin' Cousins does Not sign with us. he'll be better off somewhere else.. and so will we   ;)

:wine:

hear, hear. I agree with Kelly for once. Colin Cowflop is a turdburger anyway who has always hated the Jets so I take what that idiot days with a whole ton of salt.

Just now, Mike135 said:

I haven't heard anyone say that.

Admittedly I'm not following things all that closely though.  Maybe I missed it.  

Just know we draft 6th.  And there are 7 QB options I'd be cool with.  So no real worries.

It was implied that NY would be an inappropriate landing spot based on Cousins devotion to religion.  It's silly.

Archived