Colin Cowherd: Cousins should avoid Jets

Patriot Killa

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Not only this, didn’t Favre’s arm fall off with 6 whole games left to play? We were 8-3 and just beat the undefeated Titans. It’s not just like the guy failed here because we are unstable or we suck. He f*cking won a SINGLE GAME out of the remaining 6 games. How do you only have 3 losses 10 games in and wind up 9-7 lmao? Did he just want to disregard that fact so the rest will justify his point? Vikings were nothing special don’t get me started. They had AP and that was IT for a very long time until recently.

Is Cowherd going to ignore the fact Favre has ALSO been tagged as a gun slinger his entire career and someone who throws a lot of TD’s and INTs all together?

Didn't he tear a tendon in his throwing shoulder?

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/the-herd-with-colin-cowherd/video/1165730883787?amp=true

Colin Cowherd talks QB Kirk Cousins. Find out why Colin thinks Cousins should avoid the New York Jets and look to play for a different NFL team moving forward

- These players in the NFL they always complain about being franchised. And that's a big thing that players don't like. Players are like whoa, I want a long term deal. OK, Kirk Cousins' last two years, he's been franchised. And because of it, he's been massively overpaid, he's made like $48 million. And now he says, listen, I'll go to a team and-- by the way, a lot of teams would like him. 

If I was Kirk Cousins I would not go to the New York Jets. The New York Jets have not been a stable franchise. And one of the things Kirk Cousins is, as a human being, is a very stable human being. Kirk Cousins is not a great quarterback. He is a very stable, god fearing kid. The Washington Redskins were unstable. He shows up, stability. The Jets are unstable. 

Like sometimes you have to match your personality with a company or it gets very frustrating. If you're a risk taker go to a company that takes risks. If you're a very stable, coachable guy, and that's what Kirk Cousins is, that's his personality, don't go to the Jets. 

If you're asking me, I'm Kirk Cousins and I know you'd think I'm crazy but I'd take the Jaguars first because with Tom Coughlin, I think they have some stability. I'd go to the Vikings, I'd go to the Cardinals, I'd go to the Broncos and Elway. The Jets would probably be my fifth choice. It's nothing against the Jets but Brett Favre went there 22 TDs, 22 picks. Remember that year for Brett Favre? This is with Brett Favre's talent 22 TDs, 22 picks with the Jets. 

You thought he was done. The next year he goes to Minnesota, 33 touchdowns, 7 picks. OK, so look at what the Jets did to Brett Favre. OK, Kirk Cousins does not have Brett Favre's talent. I think he's a really stable kid, rock solid, but there are-- I would call them the futile five in the NFL that are consistently chaotic. Cleveland, the Jets, Miami, Tampa, and the Bears. And he's too stable of a kid to go to those unstable organizations. 

There's a scarcity of really good quarterbacks in the world. So he's going to get paid and I wouldn't have a problem paying him. I think he's a franchise quarterback. I wouldn't get caught up-- I've told you this before, in my business, don't chase money chase management. 

There's a sea of money out there. There's not a sea of reliable management. There's a lot of money out there for a lot of people, OK? But it doesn't matter if you're a stockbroker or a landscaper, don't chase money chase stability. Because unstable environments unravel your business, unravel you, they're frustrating. To me, Kirk Cousins, his personality doesn't match the Jets at all and he'd become wildly frustrated.

I ten to avoid Colin Cowherd. He's a jerk and a know nothing talking head.

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

He calls us an unstable franchise but our unstableness revolves around the QB position.  Our bad seasons correlate to bad QB play.  

Teams like the NYGs have crappy seasons every other year and they have had the same starter for 14 years.

Once we solve the position, we will be consistently good.  

If someone from Mars was dropped down to Earth and read this board, they would read about the general low opinion people have for the Johnsons, Mac and Bowles.  Fans do not talk that way about the Patriots or Packers.  

The Jets are not a top-notch organization.  They are deservedly in that group of 5 dysfunctional teams (I would add the Colts to that list).   Could they turn it around?  Yes.   Could they offer Cousins enough money to ignore the problems?  Yes.  Will i still cheer for them like I have done for the last 45 years?  Yes.  

The bad news is that the Jets will need to pay a "Jets Premium" to get Cousins to come here.  The good news is that they have the money.  Interestingly, many argue (most correctly) that a team needs to spread around its salary cap and not spend too much on the QB.  The Jets unfortunately or fortunately have few players to spend it on, and thus can throw alot of money at Cousins.  We will see how much of a difference that makes with Cousins, the remainder of the FA money and 7 draft picks.  I would think the Jets are much better next year with Cousins.  

7 minutes ago, varjet said:

If someone from Mars was dropped down to Earth and read this board, they would read about the general low opinion people have for the Johnsons, Mac and Bowles.  Fans do not talk that way about the Patriots or Packers.  

The Jets are not a top-notch organization.  They are deservedly in that group of 5 dysfunctional teams (I would add the Colts to that list).   Could they turn it around?  Yes.   Could they offer Cousins enough money to ignore the problems?  Yes.  Will i still cheer for them like I have done for the last 45 years?  Yes.  

The bad news is that the Jets will need to pay a "Jets Premium" to get Cousins to come here.  The good news is that they have the money.  Interestingly, many argue (most correctly) that a team needs to spread around its salary cap and not spend too much on the QB.  The Jets unfortunately or fortunately have few players to spend it on, and thus can throw alot of money at Cousins.  We will see how much of a difference that makes with Cousins, the remainder of the FA money and 7 draft picks.  I would think the Jets are much better next year with Cousins.  

What you are saying is probably accurate but a lot of it is driven by both NY and national media and is just not accurate.

Love or hate Woody but the Jets made the playoffs 6 times in his first 10 years as owner, including two trips to the conference championship.  Had it not been for the groupthink short-sightedness from 2012-2016, it would be more.

That said, and forgive me because I’m not looking it up, that is a lot more than most of the league.  A hell of a lot more often than Miami or Buffalo.  Everyone looks at Minny as a stable franchise, they haven’t won any where near as many playoff games as the Jets have since 2001.  Denver, another “model” franchise has been trash since 2006, only having a run of playoff appearances that coincided with signing Peyton Manning.  They have made the playoffs one time without Manning, winning their division at 8-8.

I get it, we are used as the punch line more often that not, but that has nothing to do with our won loss record, if you remember the Sanchez/Rex cartoons while we were for playing in the AFC championship game.

I don’t think we need to pay a premium for Cousins because we are the Jets.  I think we will have to pay more than others based on the cost of living in NJ/NY which is a lot higher than Minnesota, Buffalo, some parts of Colorado.

In the end, Macc just needs to make sure we get him.  Rodgers, Brady, Ryan, etc will sign bigger deals in the upcoming seasons.  And we are not the ones signing Cousins check.  I will however be spending more $ on this team when they are challenging for dominance in the AFC east and playoffs with Cousins here.  More so than if I get to watch Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield sit behind Tyrod Taylor of Josh McCown.

Pcola-

I don’t disagree with your thoughtful response. 

The cynic in my sees the Jets with Tannenbaum/Mangini/Rex as being a better run operation than what they have now.  Woody was very motivated by the PSLs and the new stadium, and the management team made some great moves to make the team competitive, although many ended up backfiring in the end.  But in the short-term, giving out the contracts they did ensured stability of a top offensive line and defense.

Revis was the rotten apple in the barrel and corrupted the Jets.   There was no longer Mangini to override Terry Bradway and company.   My problem now is that I do not see a team in place that can rebuild the Jets correctly.  Overall, even the 2017 draft is uninspiring.  it was not the Saints 2017 draft-if Mac had one of those, i think the odds of Cousins coming are greater.

We can see, but I would not come to the Jets if I was judging based on organizational quality.  As I have said before, MacBowles needs to earn access to the better FAs by drafting and FAing better. They have not done that yet.   If the Johnsons were really sticking their feet to the fire, they would make them do that and draft a QB to develop, and if progress was not made in 2018, kaput.

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

I think Mike thinks that devout Christians like Cousins shun NYC...  you know... Sodom and Gemorrah.  Cousins would be worried that his wife would turn into a pillar of salt looking at the NY skyline from the Meadowlands.

You joke, but that very thing happened to my first wife. Think before you post, and try to be more sensitive.

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You’re the father of a 21 year-old elite QB prospect who just entered the draft. Your child can pick from one of these four teams to play for:

1. Vikings 

2. Jets

3. Jaguars 

4. Broncos

5. Cardinals

Q: Which team do you let him play for? If you answer “the Jets,” you’re lying and/or should self-report to child welfare.

Because of Times Square, right?

3 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Most free agents just didn't just make 45 million in the last two years. He will go to a better team for a touch less money and a chance to win. I think stability will trump money to a point with him.

That’s where I’m at, too. In order for Cousins to sign here, he’d have to ignore literally every other factor besides money. You can’t show him the current roster. You can’t show him the current GM’s draft history. You can’t even have him sit in with Bowles because Bowles is such a drip. What do the Jets do? Roll out a wheelbarrow full of cash and just start begging? 

44 minutes ago, varjet said:

Pcola-

I don’t disagree with your thoughtful response. 

The cynic in my sees the Jets with Tannenbaum/Mangini/Rex as being a better run operation than what they have now.  Woody was very motivated by the PSLs and the new stadium, and the management team made some great moves to make the team competitive, although many ended up backfiring in the end.  But in the short-term, giving out the contracts they did ensured stability of a top offensive line and defense.

Revis was the rotten apple in the barrel and corrupted the Jets.   There was no longer Mangini to override Terry Bradway and company.   My problem now is that I do not see a team in place that can rebuild the Jets correctly.  Overall, even the 2017 draft is uninspiring.  it was not the Saints 2017 draft-if Mac had one of those, i think the odds of Cousins coming are greater.

We can see, but I would not come to the Jets if I was judging based on organizational quality.  As I have said before, MacBowles needs to earn access to the better FAs by drafting and FAing better. They have not done that yet.   If the Johnsons were really sticking their feet to the fire, they would make them do that and draft a QB to develop, and if progress was not made in 2018, kaput.

You and everyone one of us has a legitimate reason to feel that way.  I agree 100% that since  Mangini was fired, our drafts have suffered.  I was hoping that would change once Macc (our scouting background GM) got his people in here, it would improve.  Unfortunately, it hasn’t.

My only hope is that by bringing in a guy who knows what an offense is supposed to do to be successful, can somehow be the leader, not just by his words, but through his success on the field, perhaps he can elevate the play of those around him.  It will be a lot easier if we could also draft Barkley.  And once we had an offense that wasn’t bottom 5 in the league, that somehow our defense would improve.  Just by first, not having to be on the field for enstended periods of time due to constant 3 & outs, but also because some games we could be playing with a lead, forcing other offenses to be one dimensional.

Thats how I would sell the Jets to Kirk Cousins.  Sure, Minnesota can say they were a game away from the SB, but the two reasons they were there, Keenum and Shurmur, are both gone.  Broncos can show off the SB trophies that Manning and Elway won but the current roster of Denver is no where near as deep or talented, or as young and athletic as the team that won it all several years ago.  They had drafted possibly worse than the Jets recently.

What I am saying is all the teams that are out there willing to give Kirk Cousins a blank check all have issues.  Either now or in the next couple of seasons if they don’t get him.

If we go after him and don’t become that perennial contender, I can still live with it because the team got aggressive to try.  Sitting back and taking whoever falls to you is how teams end up with the Andy Daltons and Bridgewaters instead of the Goffs, Wentzs, etc.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

That’s where I’m at, too. In order for Cousins to sign here, he’d have to ignore literally every other factor besides money. You can’t show him the current roster. You can’t show him the current GM’s draft history. You can’t even have him sit in with Bowles because Bowles is such a drip. What do the Jets do? Roll out a wheelbarrow full of cash and just start begging? 

Problem is he has two wheel barrels at the house already full with the stuff.

6 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Cowherd is a goofy, yuppy dickhole.

Cousins instantly becomes the 2nd best QB in the history of this team as soon as he signs on the dotted line. Hell, he’d be #1 if it wasn’t for Namath’s Super Bowl win back before man walked on the moon.

The Jets are staring at an opportunity to land a proven Top 10-12 QB who is in the prime of his career and already has an intimate understanding of the offense they’re set to run. And even after making Cousins the highest paid player in the league for, oh about 6-8 weeks, they’ll still have the cap space to land one of the top CB’s and center’s in FA and possess 3 picks in the Top 50 alone.

Macc can turn this whole damn thing around overnight if he plays his cards right. 

I don't think he would be the 2nd best. Ken O'Brien was really good for a few years. Don't give me the stats - the game was much different then. I think the team with O'Brien, Toon, Walker, McNeil, Schuler was one of the best offenses I remember the Jets having. 

6 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Kirk Cousins will be a Jet. We are far and away the favorite IMO

You're ignoring what an intelligent QB that does his research will discover. He won't want to play for a conservative, defensive minded coach. He's more about finding the right fit for him, even if it's less money. We literally have no other selling point other than money, and other teams can come close to our money. I really hope he signs somewhere else.

14 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

I don't think he would be the 2nd best. Ken O'Brien was really good for a few years. Don't give me the stats - the game was much different then. I think the team with O'Brien, Toon, Walker, McNeil, Schuler was one of the best offenses I remember the Jets having. 

The Jets offense in the mid 80’s was fantastic.  And as much as I love Kenny O, that had a lot to do with McNeil Toon, Walker, and Shuler.

Unfortunately, I don’t see the Jets ever trying to build that kind of offense.  What they should do (if they sign Cousins) is to spend major assets surrounding him with elite talent.  Hence assuring that your investment will pay off.

Instead, the FO will say, we just signed Cousins and he can elevate the play of the scrubs around him.  Now we can spend the entire draft on defense.

9 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think NJ is the perfect place. Plenty of Suburban areas and nice neighborhoods. NY? Maybe not. Just depends on the location but the stadium is in NJ.

How can anyone tell whether Cousins can handle NYC?  People used to say that about Eli.  And really, if you saw Eli coming out of college, would anyone honestly think he was a NY kind of guy?

Just now, detectivekimble said:

How can anyone tell whether Cousins can handle NYC?  People used to say that about Eli.  And really, if you saw Eli coming out of college, would anyone honestly think he was a NY kind of guy?

Absolutely not. Guy comes from Louisiana and went to school in Oxford, MS at Ole Miss. that’s deep south trust me. I live about an hour from there. Eli handled the transition just fine. NJ can be very comfortable of a place and it can pretty much attract city lovers and people who enjoy more of the subtle and quite scene. It has shades of both.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

plus NY taxes

20 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Outside of the dumb Favre comparision - which doesn't take the actuall situation into account - The Jets and Favre were having a great season - best in years - then Favre got hurt and it all fell apart.

But otherwise very tough to argue.

The Jets had some good games I agree but don't forget it was a year without Brady and Chaddy cakes took the 1-15 Fins and won the East that year. Mangini didn't have the balls to take Favre out and put in his QB that he never developed Clemens.. Farve lost the first Pat game and needed OT to win the 2nd game ..

I really don't care what Cowherd says. My concern is signing him to the sum of like 28 million a year with a sh*tty O-line that will end up either bumping up his INT's or sidelining him with an injury. The Jets must shore up the O-line before anything to click in a positive direction on Offense. Any QB in the NFL that doesn't have time in the pocket will look like dogsh*t.

21 hours ago, Paradis said:

there's just something about a hired gun that doesn't yield the same long term respect. It's like saying ok, so the best we could do on our own was fcking hackenberg so we have to pay someone to "temporarily" elevate us. 

While I agree, it's worked in the past.  Namely, Drew Brees and the Saints, to a certain extent Alex Smith and the Chiefs.  Both franchise who have historically bad QB play like the Jets.  Sometimes you just have to admit you suck at something and take measures to mitigate your suckiness.  Which is why I'm on the Cousins train.  50 years of sucking at picking QB's?  Waving the white flag is necessary at this point.

20 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Honestly, If I were Cousins I would want to go to Jax. Great weather, no state tax, great golf and beaches....team with an excellent young Defense, good pieces on Offense....and ZERO legacy to compete with. That fan base would worship him if he was a winner there and would totally forget about Brunell (their best QB in tge history of that young franchise). I would just demand that they fix that awful, amateurish helmet.

hahahaha - Coughlin hates it and they're changing it this year. 

17 hours ago, T0mShane said:

That the other factor in this decision.  Bowles is on record saying that the Jets were too pass happy and trying to be the Saints offense.  lmfao.  That was legitimately said be a modern day NFL Head Coach.  He also admitted to quitting in a professional Football game at the half. 

What FA QB in the right ******* mind would want to play for a Head Coach who believes throwing the Football is a bad strategy and quits when the going gets tough? 

Hugh Jackson (and now combined with Todd Haley) and his 1-31 record is more attractive than Todd Bowles because he's going let Kirk throw the ball every ******* down if he wants.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:14 AM, Patriot Killa said:

Not only this, didn’t Favre’s arm fall off with 6 whole games left to play? We were 8-3 and just beat the undefeated Titans. It’s not just like the guy failed here because we are unstable or we suck. He f*cking won a SINGLE GAME out of the remaining 6 games. How do you only have 3 losses 10 games in and wind up 9-7 lmao? Did he just want to disregard that fact so the rest will justify his point? Vikings were nothing special don’t get me started. They had AP and that was IT for a very long time until recently.

Is Cowherd going to ignore the fact Favre has ALSO been tagged as a gun slinger his entire career and someone who throws a lot of TD’s and INTs all together?

Yup Mangini didnt have balls to bench him w/obvious shoulder injury they must have seen in practice.. Jets were good enuf to win a few games of last 6 without him. Had some soft teams on that stretch. I blame Mangini for not benching him when he was obviously crap at end.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:14 AM, FidelioJet said:

Outside of the dumb Favre comparision - which doesn't take the actuall situation into account - The Jets and Favre were having a great season - best in years - then Favre got hurt and it all fell apart.

He's leaving out the fact that when Fabre got here, his intent was to play only one season with us. He wanted to go to the Vikings all along and played here for a year to keep his consecutive starts streak going

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:14 AM, FidelioJet said:

The Favre comparison was dumb but not because of an injury to the iron man who made his career playing through pain but b/c Favre only wanted to go to Minnesota to stick it to GB and he was forced to play for the Jets in 2008 if he wanted to play.  He played most of that season like he didn't care, we won a lot of games in spite of him and thanks to a very weak schedule. In 2009 he went to a team and system he wanted to be in and the results showed it. 

In the first 9 games he threw 16 TDs and 12 INts. removing the one great game he had where he threw 6 TDs and 1 INT vs. Arizona he had 10 Tds and 11 INts the other 8 of 9 games.  He was not good a majority of that season, he had the great game vs. Ari and then had a good 2 game stretch at NE and Ten and the NE and Ten games came after the supposed injury.

He had only 3 games all season w/o an INT and threw more than 1 INT in 7 of 16 games.

Favre was not having a great season, we were winning by beating bad teams most of the year. When we were 8-3 we still lost to jamarcus Russell and the awful Raiders and Matt Cassell in his first start(a week when Favre was helping friends on the Lions scout GB).

Favre never wanted to be here and it showed on the field.  He was the ironman, would play through anything and still succeed.  He doesn't get the injury excuse.  He went to Minny where he wanted to be and had maybe his best season ever in 2009.  That version of Favre in 2008 and we are a SB team but we never got that version pre or post injury.

3 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Cowherd is just another jet-hating talking head with a low rated basic cable show viewed by teenagers and the unemployed 

you can take the douche out of ESPN but you can’t take the ESPN out of the douche

I agree that Cowherd is an idiot .. but this was kind of idiotic as well. Lol there is really no numbers or reason to think this is true. He gets pretty decent ratings.

Archived