Jets can impress Kirk Cousins by signing a top wide receiver

Patriot Killa

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/74579/jets-can-impress-kirk-cousins-by-signing-a-top-wide-receiver

Jets can impress Kirk Cousins by signing a top wide receiver

With free agency approaching (March 14), we're analyzing each position on the New York Jets'roster and examining possible upgrades:

Position: Wide receiver

2018 cap hits of top returnees:

Pending free agents: Quincy Enunwa (restricted).

Key stat: The receiving corps held up reasonably well, considering it underwent a massive overhaul in personnel. The wideouts finished with 10 touchdowns on pass plays greater than 20 yards, tied for second in the league, per ESPN Stats & Information.

Money matters: The Jets got their salary-cap house in order after dumping overpaid players Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. Kearse has the only cap charge of significance, and that will be completely wiped off the books if he's released. They're leaning toward keeping Kearse, but it could depend on how things shake out with free agency and the draft. Enunwa probably will receive a second-round tender, an estimated $3 million.

Big picture: They have the makings of a nice receiving corps, but there are a couple of big questions: Will Anderson's legal issues derail his promising career? Can Enunwa make a full recovery after missing last season due to neck surgery? If all goes well, they will have a solid trio with Enunwa, Kearse and Anderson, whose deep speed provides a home-run element to the offense. They've invested significant draft capital in recent years, but their high picks have yet to pan out -- the oft-injured Smith (second round, 2015), Stewart (third, 2017) and Hansen (fourth, 2017). The position screams for a No. 1 receiver.

Free-agent market watch: Allen RobinsonSammy WatkinsMarqise LeeDanny AmendolaJohn BrownPaul RichardsonMike Wallace and Decker.

Also could become available: Dez BryantJordy NelsonRandall CobbMichael CrabtreeAllen HurnsTorrey SmithKelvin Benjamin and Marshall.

The game plan: If the Jets really want to impress Kirk Cousins, their No. 1 free-agent target, they'll burst out of the gate by signing one of the top receivers on the market. Problem is, it'll be hard to woo a top receiver until the quarterback situation is stabilized. It's a Catch-22. One thing is clear: They need a consistent and dynamic player to lead a group of complementary receivers.

Jarvis Landry was tagged a franchise player on Tuesday night, effectively removing him from the market. That leaves Robinson and Watkins (maybe) as the only No. 1-type receivers. It'll probably take at least $13 million-a-year to sign Robinson, and general manager Mike Maccagnan isn't one to invest heavily in offensive skill players. He believes in finding those players in the draft. If they pursue a top-tier free agent, it won't bode well for Anderson, whose off-the-field issues have clouded his long-term future.

If the Jets want to take a chance on a sleeper, they probably can get Brown, 27, on the cheap. He's coming off two injury-plagued years, but he was a 1,000-yard receiver for the Arizona Cardinals in 2015. Coach Todd Bowles was on the Arizona staff in 2014, Brown's rookie year, so he's familiar with his game.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There’s a good chance that the Jags and Rams franchise Robinson and Watkins just like Miami did with Landry.

If that’s the case, I don’t really see another receiver on the market worth more than maybe $6 million a year.

I wouldn’t mind bringing in someone like Paul Richardson or Jordan Matthews on a reasonable 2-3 year deal.

Just now, Untouchable said:

There’s a good chance that the Jags and Rams franchise Robinson and Watkins just like Miami did with Landry.

If that’s the case, I don’t really see another receiver on the market worth more than maybe $6 million a year.

I wouldn’t mind bringing in someone like Paul Richardson or Jordan Matthews on a reasonable deal.

I wouldn’t mind signing Allen Hurns on a 3-4 year deal. 

:Allen Robinson picks up his ringing iPhone:

Mike Maccagnan: Hey Allen. Hi. How’s the leg would you like a hundred million dollars?

Robinson: Who’s this?

MM: It’s, uh, we got Kirk Cousins probably. 

AR: Is this the Jets?

MM: OK, one hundred and five million what, I mean, cash. Make it rain!

FUUCK Kirk Cousins. We are not the  right team, market, or with the right timing for this guy. He is a one way ticket to mediocrity for 5 years. Screw that. This board is unreadable with all the Cousins fanboys starting 8 threads a day on the guy and turinng every other thread into a Cousins thread as well. Enough. He is going somewhere else anyway. Only 3 weeks till this madness is over.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

FUUCK Kirk Cousins. We are not the  right team, market, or with the right timing for this guy. He is a one way ticket to mediocrity for 5 years. Screw that. This board is unreadable with all the Cousins fanboys starting 8 threads a day on the guy and turinng every other thread into a Cousins thread as well. Enough. He is going somewhere else anyway. Only 3 weeks till this madness is over.

If you are talking about me, I just post the freshest news I see. Cousins or not. This is the way it is until March 14th.

you’ll have to deal with it.

Jon Brown is the only one on that list worth investigating.  High upside with a reasonable price tag.

13 Mil for Allen is insane.

Watkins was the 3rd option on the Rams behind Woods and Cooper Kupp.  The guy hasn't had 2 good games in a row since 2015.

27 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

why do people mention Watkins as a lead WR option? guy has had 1 season of 1000 yards, and last year had less receiving yards then their RB.

Bc he's so young and by far the most talented, and being thrown around as the 3rd option w the Rams is more predecated on him coming into to that system late and just not meshing with it quickly more than ability. Sounds as if he's a potential head case but most of those type of guys are. Nobody has more upside 

the jets need some offensive players that put a scare in the other team.  it could be that just bringing in cousins will be enough to make the guys they have shine more brightly.  anderson has shown some no. 1 wr ability.  enunwa could be a 1a or at least a two.  at times this group moved the ball pretty smartly with mccown throwing the ball.  maybe the bigger need is to get the oline straight and then look for a wr. 

Bc he's so young and by far the most talented, and being thrown around as the 3rd option w the Rams is more predecated on him coming into to that system late and just not meshing with it quickly more than ability. Sounds as if he's a potential head case but most of those type of guys are. Nobody has more upside 

Guys like Watkins done become number 1 receivers. He is too injury prone, his production is never in-line with his talent, and this would be his third team in 4 years.

11 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

If you are talking about me, I just post the freshest news I see. Cousins or not. This is the way it is until March 14th.

you’ll have to deal with it.

We all have Twitter. We don’t need a f-cking copy/paste machine racing to spam the board and create threads on old news we have already read.

No one appreciates this. We don’t need you to perform this service.  So stop. We don’t need a paperboy. 

SAR I

11 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

This site will go bonkers when Cousins signs elsewhere.

Can’t wait.

Then the Paperboy will end his “Gotta hurry!  The guys on JN need me to copy/paste every article with the word ‘Jets’ in it!” fetish and the board will be readable again. 

SAR I

In the wake of hearing Big Mac inquired about Martavis Bryant this is quite hilarious.  

Nothing more attractive than throwing to Robbie Anderson and Martavis Bryant.  Stand up dudes that Kirk will really got along well with and really form a great relationship.

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

NO

MORE

FU----G

KIRK

FU-KING

COUSINS

THREADS

YOU

GOD

DAMNED

F--KS.

SAR I

Among Cleveland, Denver, Minnesota, NY Jets and any dark horse (i.e. Buffalo), I think it's about a 40-50% chance you will be watching Cousins under center for us the next 5 years.  I hope you are preparing for it.  

As far as Cousins posts:  You might want to tell the mods to shut your account down until March 14th.  Otherwise you might go insane here because Cousins will remain the main topic of discussion....  even during the combines.  

Every time you post the same thing in a Cousins discussion, you remind me of Hans Brinker trying to stop the deluge by putting one finger in the dyke:  

hans-brinker-statue-of-a-dutch-boy-who-s

good luck with that!

14 hours ago, johnnysd said:

What exactly do you mean mediocrity?

Do the people in the "Super Bowl only" crowd realize that Aaron Rogers, a first ballot HOF who was developed perfectly by his organization and is one of the most talented players to ever play the QB position has played in one Super Bowl in his entire career.  The same amount that Rex Grossman and Brad Johnson have.

Going 10-6 isnt mediocrity - getting to the playoffs is what is important, and then the TEAM and QB have to play well to win a championship.  Joe Flacco is FAR from elite and certainly not worth the money he is being paid, but he played 4 games of mistake free football, his defense played great and they won a championship.

No one can see the future, but if Matt Ryan can go 14-2 and make a SB, why exactly cant Kirk Cousins?

Archived