REAL REASON why we should go all in for Kirk Cousins

Villain The Foe

I had to change my mind on this after seeing this through the correct perspective. Every offseason we sit and discuss players the Jets could potentially spend cash on. Every season we have this discussion regarding QB's and every year I feel like there's that 1 QB that folks are over hyping and therefore are attempting to overpay. Then I came across an audio clip and it all made sense. The bottomline is this: "NFL contracts are NOT fully guaranteed". 

We can look at plenty of QB contracts of the past and whether we think they overpaid or not, one thing that is always evident is that the organization has a way of getting out of the contract. ALWAYS. This is the difference between my initial perspective and me now being pro Kirk Cousins signing. Kirk Cousins is not like many of the other QB's over the years who have been viewed through rose-colored lenses and organisations overpaid based on potential. Kirk Cousins has a history and this is rare in the free agency market this day and age. 

With that said, performance isn't guaranteed when it comes to free agent signings, however, neither are contracts. There is a greater chance of Kirk Cousins being the Kirk Cousins we know than AJ McCarron being more than the AJ McCarron we know. There's a greater change of Kirk Cousins being the Kirk Cousins we know than our personal favourite rookie QB with the incredible upside that's way past Kirks upside actually ever making it to that upside....let alone even being as good as Kirk Cousins. 

In an age where draft picks are more valuable than free agent money, in an age where QB's of even Kirk Cousins caliber rarely-if-ever makes it to free agency, I think that the NY Jets should throw everything they have to assuring that the acquire KC's services for the next 3 seasons. This does not mean that we can't draft a QB at all. What it does do is add stability to this QB position from a talent, youth and experience standpoint. Kirk has the talent, he's not a rookie so he has the experience but he's not over the hill, the man is in his prime right now. We're talking about potentially signing a guy during his best years while having the ability to develop talent behind him. We may not win a SB with Kirk...but we can definitely be in the playoffs which gives us a shot at the SB. 

This NY Jets team needs to change from this "defensive-minded" perspective and we need some fire power on offense and we need to put up points. Wins/losses aside, one thing that we cannot say is that a Kirk Cousins led offense could not put points on the board. 

Think of it this way. 

In 2017 our record was 5-11

Of the 11 games lost, 6 we lost by one score or less

In 2016 our record was 5-11

of the 11 games lost, 4 we lost by one score or less

In 2015 our record was 10-6

of the 6 games lost, 5 we lost by one score or less

In 2014 our record was 4-12

of the 12 games lost, 7 were by one score or less. 

The point being, our problem has always been offensive firepower. Any Jets fan over the past decade can tell you that many of these games lost the score doesn't necessarily reflect. A lot of times the Jets defense held the opponent for most of the game yet received no help offensively and when the defense finally gives up a score or two the offense then continues to do just enough to lose. The Jets have never had an offense that could give the defense some breathing room...even during the years we went to the AFCCG's. The best example of having an offense that gave the defense a cushion was when we had Brett Favre. Here's an example pre-injury

In 2008 the Jets were 8-3 pre Favre injury. 

During that span of the 8 games won, 4 were by double digits or more. 

of the 8 games won, all the Jets scored 20 or more points, 4 were 30 points or more, and 1 was 56 points. 

Post injury the Jets were 1-4

None of the games we lost the Jets score more than 17 points. 

2008 is a direct reflection of the importance of the QB position and what happens to a season/team when there's no QB to put points on the board. Sure, Kirk isn't putting up Favre numbers TD wise, but it's enough to kick-start this team for sure...and who knows what Kirk will be able to do with an organization that believes in him and is willing to pay for him, something the Redskins did not do. Sure, we can talk about giving all of this money to a player that another team just "gave away"....but when was the last time we thought the redskins were making smart moves anyway? Also, they didn't pay Cousins, but it's not like Cousins didn't deserve it and the Redskins were "right for not paying him". Matter of fact, they did pay him because they tagged him twice and he's made almost 50 million over the past 2 seasons....yet if you were to put Cousins in a Jets Uniform the last 2 seasons he would probably be the best QB in Jets history already. Sersiously, there are some folks who felt that Ryan Fitzpatrick produced the greatest season they've ever seen by a QB in a Jets uni. Kirk Cousins would be a legend if he just maintain what he's been doing. 

Im on board for giving Kirk Cousins whatever he wants to get him here. If he wants a 5 year $150 million with $75 million guaranteed I say do it without hesitation and front load that contract as much as you can. Pay him like 50 million in the first year and by year two you're already out of the dog house financially with more draft picks and now a much more viable landing spot for other free agents in the future because your quarterback is Kirk Cousins. If things don't work out then the Jets could be out of this contract in 2 years while having developed a guy like Kyle Lauletta in the background. 

This is the smartest decision the Jets can make and I don't think there is a team outside of the Browns that can compete monetarily, but I don't think that a team with a 1-31 record over the past 2 years Kirk Cousins will go to for any amount. 

Signing Kirk Cousins to a ridiculous contract is the right decision because in reality these contracts can be manipulated for the organisations to get out of. 

VTF

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well said, good post, I didnt realize there were so many close games.

There is another reason though, that builds on your post.  Not only do we lower the risk of marginal FA's being overpaid and under-producing, we keep our top 3 picks and our picks next year to draft player who we hope will play their asses off on cheap contracts in order to get the payday they would have gotten as rookies.

Give me cousins, a top CB (with clairborne), ryan jensen, quentin nelson, and a RB/WR with one second round pick and an edge player with the other and this team will be markedly better in 2018.  Nelson, Jensen, and Cousins will improve the play of the entire offense and pairing those 2 on the left side of the line will put us in a lot of 2nd and 6s instead of 2nd and 9s.

VTF,

I think we will go all in for KC.  I don't think KC will sign with us.  He can be the highest paid QB and go to a team that is a QB away from winning now.  The Vikings come to mind.  They have $49M in Cap space.  More than enough to pay KC and their Cap space goes up to $73M in 2019.  The Denver Broncos have a tradition of being a winning organization.  Jacksonville is attractive since they are also a QB away from maybe winning it all.  KC grew up in Michigan so not sure the NY market is where he would want to be.  He obviously didn't like DC so why would he want to come to NY?  

The Jets history is one of dubious distinction.  Our owner has never been considered remotely good and now he isn't even in the country.  Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan are on the hot seat and haven't shown a glimpse of competence.  We don't even know who is in charge of our FO.  The GM is supposed to be in charge but the way WJ has it set up, they both report to him.  That is so dysfunctional.  Our OL, WRs and RBs are among the worst in the league.  That can't be attractive to KC.  So if I'm him, I'm staying as far away from the Jets as possible.  Even though I am a huge Jets fan, if I was an elite QB FA, I'm not coming here, it's just not worth it.  Maybe one day we'll be an attractive location, but that day is not today....and probably not for a few years if not more.  KC even said, money isn't the only consideration.  He wants to go to a winning organization.

The best bet we have is to go all in on the best QB coming out of the Draft.  You gotta love the draft.  These college kids have no control over where they go and are dirt cheap (Ok maybe not in what we would have to give up in draft picks to move up, but cheap in Cap space.)  Move up as far as we can for a franchise QB and fix our holes through FA and the draft.  I'd love KC but he isn't coming to the Jets, we have to accept that.

The issue is not "Is Kirk Cousins better than mccwon"  it is "is cousins worth a gazillion dollars most of it guaranteed."

Another troubling issue is  that we are going to spend a ton of money on the QB and our head coach want to run the ball more.

Another troubling issue is that I will believe it when i see it as far as the jets paying catch resource wise on the offensive side of the ball.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The issue is not "Is Kirk Cousins better than mccwon"  it is "is cousins worth a gazillion dollars most of it guaranteed."

Another troubling issue is  that we are going to spend a ton of money on the QB and our head coach want to run the ball more.

Another troubling issue is that I will believe it when i see it as far as the jets paying catch resource wise on the offensive side of the ball.

another reason cousins won't come here - brady and belichick.  cousins is not going to this division if he truly 'wants to win'.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

another reason cousins won't come here - brady and belichick.  cousins is not going to this division if he truly 'wants to win'.

Minnesota - face Rogers Twice

Denver - KC/Raiders (and a worse oline then we have)

Cleveland - Baltimore/Pittsburgh

Cousins isnt some b*tch - hes a competitive guy who might actually want the challenge of playing against BB's terrible defense and beating them.

Just now, BCJet said:

Minnesota - face Rogers Twice

Denver - KC/Raiders (and a worse oline then we have)

Cleveland - Baltimore/Pittsburgh

Cousins isnt some b*tch - hes a competitive guy who might actually want the challenge of playing against BB's terrible defense and beating them.

it's not even close.  NE has won the division 14 of the past 15 seasons.  i think people are really underestimating this as a reason not to go to the jets. 

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

it's not even close.  NE has won the division 14 of the past 15 seasons.  i think people are really underestimating this as a reason not to go to the jets. 

Of course its not close, NE is one of the all time dynasties, but I  highly doubt someone as successful as Cousins would be such a hoo-ha as to run from facing a QB who is 41

Assuming the money is more or less the same, I can't see how Kirk Cousins would possibly choose to come to the Jets over ANY other team that either has a winning tradition (Denver) or who is built to win right now (Vikings).  The Jets offer none of those things nor do they offer any kind of organizational stability.  All they can do is offer money.  Beyond that, they have no chance to attract him or any other all pro level player.  This is a perception that the organization has to work to change. 

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

Of course its not close, NE is one of the all time dynasties, but I  highly doubt someone as successful as Cousins would be such a hoo-ha as to run from facing a QB who is 41

But why would Cousins want to come to the Jets?  He can choose where he goes.  There are teams ready to win now.

48 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Its not an issue. It is obvious that the man can play the position. No matter the contract, if we can get out of it halfway theough then i dont see the problem. 

We've wasted years on cheap rookies that didnt develop as well as overpaying career journeyman qb's past their prime. Now we have an opportunity to get a guy in his prime that is certified top 15 and is arguably top 10 in the league and were talking about money? No. Im not doing that. Why? Because when the jets put crap on the field then i hear fans talk about money...but in the form of PSL's. 

Kirk Cousins resume is worth the shot because there is actual success consistently at the position in the NFL. Its not elite, but its the best we've seen in many of our lifetimes. I doubt SanFran fans are pissed at JG's contract...and he's played a whopping 7 or 8 games. 

Putting this current team and coaching staff on a rookie qb or 40 yr old journeyman is the wrong move. Spend the money for the most important position in sports. 

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

That is certainly a reason to consider, but if the Vikings were in our division or Denver, I think he still goes there.  They can easily beat NE with him as there QB.  My wife is a Denver fan so I watched all there games.  They truly are a QB away.  Same with the Vikings.  Jacksonville too.  Bortles is horrible.

21 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Yes NE has won a lot, but Brady has what 2 seasons left, tops, assuming he doesn't get injured at any point in a season. Gronk has retirement being mentioned, whether it is legit or not. 

NE is at the end of their run. If I were Cousins, NE would not factor into me NOT signing with the JETS, unless they are offering me a better contract. 

Cousins favorite team should be JAX and MIN, anything can happen with FA. 

19 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Assuming the money is more or less the same, I can't see how Kirk Cousins would possibly choose to come to the Jets over ANY other team that either has a winning tradition (Denver) or who is built to win right now (Vikings).  The Jets offer none of those things nor do they offer any kind of organizational stability.  All they can do is offer money.  Beyond that, they have no chance to attract him or any other all pro level player.  This is a perception that the organization has to work to change. 

The money isnt more or less the same. Denver would have to strip their team to afford Kirk. Jacksonville wouldnt have enough cap even after cutting Bortles. Vikings dont have a ton of cap. None of these teams can offer whay the Jets can money wise except Cleveland....and if it came down to us and Cleveland i would be confident. 

Denver cant offer $150 million and 75 guaranteed without getting rid of the guys that made them SB contenders with Kirk. If you have to cut them then whats the point for Kirk? 

28 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I honestly dont believe athletes at that level would give playing against the best (for now) a second thought.

If anything it may serve as an attraction.

21 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

That is certainly a reason to consider, but if the Vikings were in our division or Denver, I think he still goes there.  They can easily beat NE with him as there QB.  My wife is a Denver fan so I watched all there games.  They truly are a QB away.  Same with the Vikings.  Jacksonville too.  Bortles is horrible.

it's not about merely beating the patriots.  it's winning the division.  the pats win 11-12 games every year at least.  if you go to a team in that division you may split the season series but if you go 10-6 or even 11-5 you're probably a wild card.  in any other division you have a much better shot of getting a bye in the next few years until brady hopefully retires.

54 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Its not an issue. It is obvious that the man can play the position. No matter the contract, if we can get out of it halfway theough then i dont see the problem. 

We've wasted years on cheap rookies that didnt develop as well as overpaying career journeyman qb's past their prime. Now we have an opportunity to get a guy in his prime that is certified top 15 and is arguably top 10 in the league and were talking about money? No. Im not doing that. Why? Because when the jets put crap on the field then i hear fans talk about money...but in the form of PSL's. 

Kirk Cousins resume is worth the shot because there is actual success consistently at the position in the NFL. Its not elite, but its the best we've seen in many of our lifetimes. I doubt SanFran fans are pissed at JG's contract...and he's played a whopping 7 or 8 games. 

Putting this current team and coaching staff on a rookie qb or 40 yr old journeyman is the wrong move. Spend the money for the most important position in sports. 

See the bolded part.

You are very desperate if you are paying elite money to non elite players.

The current coach and gm i have very little confidence in so if we go get that beat qb to go 8-8 the next three years it will be the jets time machine.

If he gets a contact like JG fine, that is not what we are hearing.

1 hour ago, afjetsfan said:

VTF,

I think we will go all in for KC.  I don't think KC will sign with us.  He can be the highest paid QB and go to a team that is a QB away from winning now.  The Vikings come to mind.  They have $49M in Cap space.  More than enough to pay KC and their Cap space goes up to $73M in 2019.  The Denver Broncos have a tradition of being a winning organization.  Jacksonville is attractive since they are also a QB away from maybe winning it all.  KC grew up in Michigan so not sure the NY market is where he would want to be.  He obviously didn't like DC so why would he want to come to NY?  

The Jets history is one of dubious distinction.  Our owner has never been considered remotely good and now he isn't even in the country.  Todd Bowles and Mike Maccagnan are on the hot seat and haven't shown a glimpse of competence.  We don't even know who is in charge of our FO.  The GM is supposed to be in charge but the way WJ has it set up, they both report to him.  That is so dysfunctional.  Our OL, WRs and RBs are among the worst in the league.  That can't be attractive to KC.  So if I'm him, I'm staying as far away from the Jets as possible.  Even though I am a huge Jets fan, if I was an elite QB FA, I'm not coming here, it's just not worth it.  Maybe one day we'll be an attractive location, but that day is not today....and probably not for a few years if not more.  KC even said, money isn't the only consideration.  He wants to go to a winning organization.

The best bet we have is to go all in on the best QB coming out of the Draft.  You gotta love the draft.  These college kids have no control over where they go and are dirt cheap (Ok maybe not in what we would have to give up in draft picks to move up, but cheap in Cap space.)  Move up as far as we can for a franchise QB and fix our holes through FA and the draft.  I'd love KC but he isn't coming to the Jets, we have to accept that.

Wow I feel like my mom just told me that Santa Claus isn't real. 100% agreed though. Nice post. Dammit!

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

which is a main reason that is overlooked on why Cousins may not want to come here - the head coach is a defensive guy that still doesn't understand it's an offensive league in the regular season. An explosive offense can mask a lot of holes on the defense. 

I would much rather pick our own QB and have Bates develop him into a better QB than Cousins is going to be. I'd rather set my sites much higher than settling for a solid QB.

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

I had to change my mind on this after seeing this through the correct perspective. Every offseason we sit and discuss players the Jets could potentially spend cash on. Every season we have this discussion regarding QB's and every year I feel like there's that 1 QB that folks are over hyping and therefore are attempting to overpay. Then I came across an audio clip and it all made sense. The bottomline is this: "NFL contracts are NOT fully guaranteed". 

We can look at plenty of QB contracts of the past and whether we think they overpaid or not, one thing that is always evident is that the organization has a way of getting out of the contract. ALWAYS. This is the difference between my initial perspective and me now being pro Kirk Cousins signing. Kirk Cousins is not like many of the other QB's over the years who have been viewed through rose-colored lenses and organisations overpaid based on potential. Kirk Cousins has a history and this is rare in the free agency market this day and age. 

With that said, performance isn't guaranteed when it comes to free agent signings, however, neither are contracts. There is a greater chance of Kirk Cousins being the Kirk Cousins we know than AJ McCarron being more than the AJ McCarron we know. There's a greater change of Kirk Cousins being the Kirk Cousins we know than our personal favourite rookie QB with the incredible upside that's way past Kirks upside actually ever making it to that upside....let alone even being as good as Kirk Cousins. 

In an age where draft picks are more valuable than free agent money, in an age where QB's of even Kirk Cousins caliber rarely-if-ever makes it to free agency, I think that the NY Jets should throw everything they have to assuring that the acquire KC's services for the next 3 seasons. This does not mean that we can't draft a QB at all. What it does do is add stability to this QB position from a talent, youth and experience standpoint. Kirk has the talent, he's not a rookie so he has the experience but he's not over the hill, the man is in his prime right now. We're talking about potentially signing a guy during his best years while having the ability to develop talent behind him. We may not win a SB with Kirk...but we can definitely be in the playoffs which gives us a shot at the SB. 

This NY Jets team needs to change from this "defensive-minded" perspective and we need some fire power on offense and we need to put up points. Wins/losses aside, one thing that we cannot say is that a Kirk Cousins led offense could not put points on the board. 

Think of it this way. 

The point being, our problem has always been offensive firepower. Any Jets fan over the past decade can tell you that many of these games lost the score doesn't necessarily reflect. A lot of times the Jets defense held the opponent for most of the game yet received no help offensively and when the defense finally gives up a score or two the offense then continues to do just enough to lose. The Jets have never had an offense that could give the defense some breathing room...even during the years we went to the AFCCG's. The best example of having an offense that gave the defense a cushion was when we had Brett Favre. Here's an example pre-injury

of the 8 games won, all the Jets scored 20 or more points, 4 were 30 points or more, and 1 was 56 points. 

2008 is a direct reflection of the importance of the QB position and what happens to a season/team when there's no QB to put points on the board. Sure, Kirk isn't putting up Favre numbers TD wise, but it's enough to kick-start this team for sure...and who knows what Kirk will be able to do with an organization that believes in him and is willing to pay for him, something the Redskins did not do. Sure, we can talk about giving all of this money to a player that another team just "gave away"....but when was the last time we thought the redskins were making smart moves anyway? Also, they didn't pay Cousins, but it's not like Cousins didn't deserve it and the Redskins were "right for not paying him". Matter of fact, they did pay him because they tagged him twice and he's made almost 50 million over the past 2 seasons....yet if you were to put Cousins in a Jets Uniform the last 2 seasons he would probably be the best QB in Jets history already. Sersiously, there are some folks who felt that Ryan Fitzpatrick produced the greatest season they've ever seen by a QB in a Jets uni. Kirk Cousins would be a legend if he just maintain what he's been doing. 

Im on board for giving Kirk Cousins whatever he wants to get him here. If he wants a 5 year $150 million with $75 million guaranteed I say do it without hesitation and front load that contract as much as you can. Pay him like 50 million in the first year and by year two you're already out of the dog house financially with more draft picks and now a much more viable landing spot for other free agents in the future because your quarterback is Kirk Cousins. If things don't work out then the Jets could be out of this contract in 2 years while having developed a guy like Kyle Lauletta in the background. 

This is the smartest decision the Jets can make and I don't think there is a team outside of the Browns that can compete monetarily, but I don't think that a team with a 1-31 record over the past 2 years Kirk Cousins will go to for any amount. 

Signing Kirk Cousins to a ridiculous contract is the right decision because in reality these contracts can be manipulated for the organisations to get out of. 

VTF

good post VTF :)

Think of it this way. 

VTF

PLUS 1 MILLION, Absolutely. walking in he is best quarterback we have had since i have been alive, hell since namath. Namath only better because it won it all.

VTF

Says the guy who wanted Glennon ?

Archived