11:40AM
  • Share:
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield drops back to pass against Ohio State during the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017, in Columbus, Ohio. (AP Photo/Jay LaPrete) (Jay LaPrete/AP)
Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield drops back to pass against Ohio State during the first half of an NCAA college football game Saturday, Sept. 9, 2017, in Columbus, Ohio. (AP Photo/Jay LaPrete) (Jay LaPrete/AP)

In ESPN Insider Mel Kiper's eyes, "Broadway Baker" will find his way to the Jets in his latest mock draft. 

Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner, has seen his draft stock significantly rise all season. After leading his Sooners team to the College Footbal Playoff with gutsy drives and precision passing all season long, Kiper thinks he is the starter -- and leader -- the Jets need under center. 

"This is another team I expect to be in on Kirk Cousins, and the Jets have to add a quarterback this offseason. Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg aren't long-term answers. So why Mayfield over Josh Rosen here? It's close. Mayfield is one of the best leaders in this class, and there are still questions about Rosen's ability to galvanize a team. Rosen has a higher ceiling, but Mayfield is ready to start in the NFL right now. I like Rosen as a pure passer, but there are also concerns about his injury history -- he missed half of the 2016 season after having shoulder surgery. Mayfield, the 2017 Heisman Trophy winner, put up huge numbers for the Sooners and measured 6-0 at the Senior Bowl. If the Jets get Cousins, cornerback is their top need."

Getting Cousins appears to be the top priority for the Jets, but they can't land him in free agency, then they must have a fall-back option. And Mayfield is more than a fall-back option after posting 4,627 passing yards, a 70.5 completion percentage, and an insane 43/6 touchdown to interception ratio. 

He has had off-the-field issues, including a public intoxication arrest back in Feb. 2017. However, Mayfield said he has owned up to it, and wants teams to understand that incident isn't who he truly is. Mayfield has already met with the Jets at the Senior Bowl, and could see another interview at the NFL Combine. 

As Kiper mentions, if the Jets do land Cousins, cornerback is their main need. He previously had Alabama CB Minkah Fitzpatrick as the Jets' pick in his first mock draft. 

bentsntavatar_4ydq3rdo.pngBent, theJetsBlog.com Follow on Twitter

Over the next week or so, we should see dramatic changes in the stock of some of the top draft prospects. Baker Mayfield perhaps has more to lose than the other top quarterbacks, so he needs a great week at the combine. If he gets that and others don't, Mayfield might establish himself as a lock to go in the top five, in which case the Jets won't even get a chance to draft him without trading up.  

However, if he rubs teams the wrong way in interviews or fails to stand out in drills, he might fall down the board.

Mayfield's 2017 film and his consistency of production are superior to every other quarterback prospect in this year's draft, but the questions surrounding his size and personality will persist. He, therefore, needs to ensure that he doesn't put a foot wrong in Indianapolis - on and off the field.  

If he can manage that, then he could be a prime candidate to be selected by the Jets. That's if they haven't already addressed the position by signing a certain high-priced free agent, of course.

That's my Plan B if the Jets miss out on Cousins.  I would hope Cousins goes to Denver which puts them out of the running for a QB which would increase the likelihood of one falling to us.  Hopefully it's Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold I'm fine with either one.  

Draft Michel and Dorance Armstrong Jr with our two 2nd rounders and we're golden.

First of all Kiper is an Idiot.

If this team goes and gets Kirk Cousins they need to draft a RB and that RB should be Barkley if he drops to 6. Corner back is always a crap shoot so I would much rather spend a draft pick or 2 and Get Peters and sign Claiborne which would give us 2 very solid corners to build with our two young safeties. Its time we spend more money and picks on the offensive side of the ball and getting a dynamic RB will help any QB we decide to get

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

First of all Kiper is an Idiot.

If this team goes and gets Kirk Cousins they need to draft a RB and that RB should be Barkley if he drops to 6. Corner back is always a crap shoot so I would much rather spend a draft pick or 2 and Get Peters and sign Claiborne which would give us 2 very solid corners to build with our two young safeties. Its time we spend more money and picks on the offensive side of the ball and getting a dynamic RB will help any QB we decide to get

Getting Cousins appears to be the top priority for the Jets, but they can't land him in free agency, then they must have a fall-back option. And Mayfield is more than a fall-back option after posting

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Getting Cousins appears to be the top priority for the Jets, but they can't land him in free agency, then they must have a fall-back option. And Mayfield is more than a fall-back option after posting

no doubt if they can't land Cousins they need to go after a QB via the draft. My post was based on getting Cousins. My problem with Kiper is if the Jets do get Cousins he says we have a CB problem which we don't or at least its not as bad as some teams who have nothing at all at the position. We have Claiborne to sign and could persue KC's Peters at 25 years old with 2 years left on his first contract which looks less risky and much more appealing than Kiper's idea IMHO. Will Idiot Kiper still think the Jets have a problem with Claiborne Peters Maye and Adams in the secondary ? In what world does it make more sense to draft Fitzpatrick with the 6th pick and hope he pans out over getting a 25 year old Peters ? We have the money so lets spend it smart I could think of so many more options with the 6th if we go after Peters 

44 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

no doubt if they can't land Cousins they need to go after a QB via the draft. My post was based on getting Cousins. My problem with Kiper is if the Jets do get Cousins he says we have a CB problem which we don't or at least its not as bad as some teams who have nothing at all at the position. We have Claiborne to sign and could persue KC's Peters at 25 years old with 2 years left on his first contract which looks less risky and much more appealing than Kiper's idea IMHO. Will Idiot Kiper still think the Jets have a problem with Claiborne Peters Maye and Adams in the secondary ? In what world does it make more sense to draft Fitzpatrick with the 6th pick and hope he pans out over getting a 25 year old Peters ? We have the money so lets spend it smart I could think of so many more options with the 6th if we go after Peters 

imo a plan b could be to sign mccarron and use the 6 pick on a qb much like what chicago did with glennon and trubitski.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

My problem with Kiper is if the Jets do get Cousins he says we have a CB problem which we don't or at least its not as bad as some teams who have nothing at all at the position. 

I agree with this ^

We’ve been drafting/developing CBs for a while now. 

We drafted 2 last year (Clark, Jones), plus we traded an ‘18 pick mid-season (Robinson), and drafted (Burris) the year before that.  You’d think ONE of them would be ready to step up already and man the #2 spot. 

If not, then maybe McCaggs SHOULDNT be drafting one in the top round! 

3 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

he says we have a CB problem which we don't or at least its not as bad as some teams who have nothing at all at the position. We have Claiborne to sign and could persue KC's Peters at 25 years old with 2 years left on his first contract which looks less risky and much more appealing than Kiper's idea IMHO. Will Idiot Kiper still think the Jets have a problem with Claiborne Peters Maye and Adams in the secondary ? In what world does it make more sense to draft Fitzpatrick with the 6th pick and hope he pans out over getting a 25 year old Peters ? We have the money so lets spend it smart I could think of so many more options with the 6th if we go after Peters 

Your post is amazing ! Kipers an idiot because he says we have a  CB problem? He's right. You mention both Claiborne and Peters ... neither of which is currently a Jet. You're merely speculating on who we might sign. Kiper is dealing with reality... we have a CB problem. 

5 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

Your post is amazing ! Kipers an idiot because he says we have a  CB problem? He's right. You mention both Claiborne and Peters ... neither of which is currently a Jet. You're merely speculating on who we might sign. Kiper is dealing with reality... we have a CB problem. 

we are in contract negotiations with Claiborne and we have a lot of young corners some of which showed promise I'm not sure how that's weak at the position when we have money to spend on top of that if needed. We are weak at OL, RB  and # 1 WR and could always use LB help all positions I think are more important at this stage than adding a CB

4 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

we are in contract negotiations with Claiborne and we have a lot of young corners some of which showed promise I'm not sure how that's weak at the position when we have money to spend on top of that if needed. We are weak at OL, RB  and # 1 WR and could always use LB help all positions I think are more important at this stage than adding a CB

Lots of teams are loaded with players that have "promise". Until these CB's with "promise" step up I consider CB a problem.

10 hours ago, Thai Jet said:

So? Just resign Claiborne at a reasonable 2 year deal.  

The real problem is we have no pass rush

12 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

I agree with this ^

We’ve been drafting/developing CBs for a while now. 

We drafted 2 last year (Clark, Jones), plus we traded an ‘18 pick mid-season (Robinson), and drafted (Burris) the year before that.  You’d think ONE of them would be ready to step up already and man the #2 spot. 

If not, then maybe McCaggs SHOULDNT be drafting one in the top round! 

Or for any position. In any round. For any team. Ever. 

If we don't get Cousins, then here's my draft board, more or less (top 4 subject to change without notice)

1) Rosen

2) Darnold

3) Mayfield

4) Allen

5) Everyone else, starting with Barkley

I don't want Chubb over Mayfield or Allen.  I don't want Fitzpatrick over Mayfield or Allen.  I want us to draft a QB, or barring that, the best RB we've seen in years (and we've seen some good ones).  So if you look really, really hard and maybe squint a bit, you may notice I am leaning towards the offensive side of the ball.  I just can't watch us hope to lose close again next year by trying to grind out 17 points and holding the other team to 21.  

Baker Mayfield is a Jets type of personality.  The underdog who has been told he's not good enough and to stay in his place. That's this franchise. 

It's a brave pick and I doubt Mac is brave enough to make it. Mac seems to value attributes. Hackenberg looks like he should be a good QB, Mayfield doesn't.

also seriously question if he makes it to 6. Jets most likely sit and wait for Chubb, Barkley or Nelson. Maybe a defender like Edmunds or Ward can blow up the combine. But again, Mac doesn't make brave picks in the first round.  

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Baker Mayfield is a Jets type of personality.  The underdog who has been told he's not good enough and to stay in his place. That's this franchise. 

It's a brave pick and I doubt Mac is brave enough to make it. Mac seems to value attributes. Hackenberg looks like he should be a good QB, Mayfield doesn't.

also seriously question if he makes it to 6. Jets most likely sit and wait for Chubb, Barkley or Nelson. Maybe a defender like Edmunds or Ward can blow up the combine. But again, Mac doesn't make brave picks in the first round.  

100% 

They’re going to draft a yes-sir, no-sir guy and Mayfield is going to scare the sh*t out of them. Allen is that goober who’ll come to interview in New York and ask to be taken to dinner at Denny’s and Bowles will jizz all over his French Slam when Allen starts to pray before digging into his pork chop.

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

100% 

They’re going to draft a yes-sir, no-sir guy and Mayfield is going to scare the sh*t out of them. Allen is that goober who’ll come to interview in New York and ask to be taken to dinner at Denny’s and Bowles will jizz all over his French Slam when Allen starts to pray before digging into his pork chop.

Allen won't even be on the board. He will be gone by 2 for the exact reasons you describe. Darnold too. They want Wonder Bread rubber faces that can take a hit and shut up about it. They don't want flashy social media users.  

I'd never draft Jackson for the same reason I'd never sign Bridgewater or Tyrod...limited accuracy from the pocket, and I personally don't see many successful QB's who rely more on their legs than their arm. As the saying goes, "There are a lot of good young running QB's, but not many older ones."  Also, I wouldn't break the bank for Cousins either. We, as Jets fans, and I've been one since '67, have to take a breath and see what we're looking at here...a QB who's turning 30, a decent NFL quarterback I'll say, but at the price that is being thrown around? Really? How about some talent we can call our own rather than some other team's castoff?  Why did Washington not lock him up 2 years ago, and now trade for Alex Smith even giving up a future all pro CB in the trade? I'd say resign Josh to mentor a 1st draft choice, and if they can't resign him, draft your guy in the 1st round whomever it is, even if you have to trade up, get him ready and start that kid!...Heck, the Rams got belittled 2 years ago about Goff and nobody's talking smack now, right? 

5 hours ago, Freemanm said:

He's seen us selecting someone different in about 10 mock drafts now. How is he credible?

Because he has to put out a bunch of iterations of mock drafts.  If he leaves every team with the same picks then nobody will care to read the latest version.  In short, these mocks are basically a joke. They know fans are itching for football again so they pretend they have some inside knowledge of what the teams will do. Then they cycle through a few names that seem likely for a team to pick.   

On 2/23/2018 at 6:47 PM, T0mShane said:

100% 

LMAO.  I have no idea how you come up with this stuff but I will continue reading it for as long as you do 

Archived