Contingency plans; Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson

RedBeardedSavage

Josh Allen or Lamar Jackson  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Which 2018 QB prospect do you prefer for the Jets @ the sixth pick?

• Neither; wait another year
    • Neither; take a different prospect later in the draft
    • Lamar Jackson
    • Josh Allen

Allen's % completion bothers me. I'd probably trade down and take Jackson in the teens.

With the free agents and prospects at the top of this draft, if we find ourselves in this situation at #6 having no QB and having to pick between Allen and Jackson, I'd be frankly gutted.

We need a QB, we have to go to the market and trade,beg,borrow or steal, not let it come to us and potentially face something like this.

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's interesting that just about nobody outside of this board and maybe Louisville fan forums would rank Jackson over Allen.  I have no idea myself but I will be in support of either one.

I’m just saying jackson is being slept on. I think polian is nuts, even josh mccown spoke up about it. the scouts will fall in line at the combine when they see these kids throwing side by side

Unlike former NFL G.M. Bill Polian, who has hitched his wagon to the “Lamar Jacksonshould move to receiver” narrative, McCown believes Jackson will thrive.

“A lot of times what you have to look at is what are these young guys being asked to do in their systems?” McCown said. “When you get a talent like Lamar you can go, ‘Man, there is so much that we can do.’ Especially with . . . the RPOs and things like that. There’s an ability to move the football with his legs. We saw it at times when he just won football games with his legs, period.

“I think sometimes when you see that then it’s easy to just go, ‘Man, he should play receiver.’ But when you watch this guy throw the ball, he’s really got a good whip. The ball comes out of his hand pretty hard. Those are the things I think you have to take into consideration.”

McCown actually thinks that, with the changes to the pro game in recent years, Jackson could do even better at the next level.

“You get a guy like that — and I’m not comparing him to Dak Prescott — but why did Dak Prescott go in the fourth round?” McCown said. “Well, because maybe in college he wasn’t being asked to make some of these throws and play in a system. Then he gets into the league, and his game translates to the league better than college. I think Lamar Jackson could fall in that mold where you get this kid and you say, ‘Hey do these things,’ and that may open up a whole other part of his skill set that we didn’t see. Even more recently Deshaun Watson last year. He’s an intriguing prospect to me because of his athleticism, because of the home run speed that he has and because I think when you get him into a system there’s a lot of upside for him.”

32 minutes ago, nycdan said:

It's interesting that just about nobody outside of this board and maybe Louisville fan forums would rank Jackson over Allen.  I have no idea myself but I will be in support of either one.

Interesting observation, but not entirely accurate;

NFL Media is all over Allen's package, and so a number of probably draft sites rank him as such... but if you go on sites like twitter and just read general draft community chatter, it resembles this place much more than you might think. He's not well liked in #DraftTwitter

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Interesting observation, but not entirely accurate;

NFL Media is all over Allen's package, and so a number of probably draft sites rank him as such... but if you go on twitter and just read general draft community chatter, it resembles this place much more than you might think. He's not well liked in #DraftTwitter

I hear you and I know it's not all just here and Louisville.  But when you take a small, but interesting sample like the 6 mock drafts on nfl.com where every one of them has Allen (between 6 and 15) way ahead of Jackson (between 21 and twice not in 1st round) you get a pretty strong picture.  I honestly can't recall a mock draft on a national site that doesn't have Allen way above Jackson.  I'm not saying those sites know anything more than anyone else.  I can't figure it out either.  I wish I knew what these guys think they know.

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

I’m just saying jackson is being slept on. I think polian is nuts, even josh mccown spoke up about it. the scouts will fall in line at the combine when they see these kids throwing side by side

Unlike former NFL G.M. Bill Polian, who has hitched his wagon to the “Lamar Jacksonshould move to receiver” narrative, McCown believes Jackson will thrive.

“A lot of times what you have to look at is what are these young guys being asked to do in their systems?” McCown said. “When you get a talent like Lamar you can go, ‘Man, there is so much that we can do.’ Especially with . . . the RPOs and things like that. There’s an ability to move the football with his legs. We saw it at times when he just won football games with his legs, period.

“I think sometimes when you see that then it’s easy to just go, ‘Man, he should play receiver.’ But when you watch this guy throw the ball, he’s really got a good whip. The ball comes out of his hand pretty hard. Those are the things I think you have to take into consideration.”

McCown actually thinks that, with the changes to the pro game in recent years, Jackson could do even better at the next level.

“You get a guy like that — and I’m not comparing him to Dak Prescott — but why did Dak Prescott go in the fourth round?” McCown said. “Well, because maybe in college he wasn’t being asked to make some of these throws and play in a system. Then he gets into the league, and his game translates to the league better than college. I think Lamar Jackson could fall in that mold where you get this kid and you say, ‘Hey do these things,’ and that may open up a whole other part of his skill set that we didn’t see. Even more recently Deshaun Watson last year. He’s an intriguing prospect to me because of his athleticism, because of the home run speed that he has and because I think when you get him into a system there’s a lot of upside for him.”

I think Polian is a genius GM and deserves every achievement he has earned. Guy knows what he’s talking about. This right here might be a little extreme..don’t think he needs to move to WR like Braxton Miller did ... but I do think his point was made that he isn’t a good QB for the pros. 

8 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

That's the problem. For the next 2 months there will be billions of rumors , mis directions , lies etc. It will make the Russians look like rank amateurs.  

But this is something I believe. Giants aren’t taking Rosen. Mark my words. They either take Barkley or move down.

Archived