Jets leaning towards keeping Jermaine Kearse

Patriot Killa

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

They should keep him, he was solid with very sub-par QB play.  He's an asset, and his cost is (if I recall) minor.

Keep:  Enunwa, Kearse, Anderson, Stewart, Hanson.  Build from there.

How do we build if 5/5 of our WRs spots on the roster are full -- and with dog sh*t. That is categorically the worse group of WRs in the NFL. (i'm just using your post to illustrate my point)

31 minutes ago, Paradis said:

How do we build if 5/5 of our WRs spots on the roster are full -- and with dog sh*t.

When you find/draft/sign one better, you cut one worse.

That is categorically the worse group of WRs in the NFL.

Nope, it's not.

(i'm just using your post to illustrate my point)

No worries.

11 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Hm. Bears.  

Took a minute to think about it though, didn't it.

On paper, they should be better but Meredith and White injures have derailed that ship. But i'd argue they've tried more earnestly than we have. They went into the season with Breakout receiver Meredith, signed both Kendall Wright and M Wheaton and were holding out hope for Kevin White. 

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

How do we build if 5/5 of our WRs spots on the roster are full -- and with dog sh*t. That is categorically the worse group of WRs in the NFL. (i'm just using your post to illustrate my point)

Ridiculous statement completely underrates Anderson Enunwa and Kearse.  If Enunwa is relatively healthy (and that's a big IF) this is a decent WR group.  No true #1 but 3 players who are low-end 1s or high-end 2s.  Even without Enunwa it's not league worst.  It wasn't last year.  

No ranking system is gospel, but Bleacher Report does a good intensive scouting review and ranking.  Have Anderson as No. 20 and Kearse No. 31 outside WR last year.  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2752678-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-outside-wide-receivers-of-2017-season  Obviously up for argument, but in a 32 team league that's far from the worst WR starters.  

Hansen and Stewart showed close to nothing, but they were rookies, not going anywhere, see how they develop from here.

Actually, Kearse is a prime guy to cut of you desperately need cap space b/c he takes off 5mil with no dead money. But the Jets have plenty of cap space and plenty of moves they can make to free up more (despite taking on dead money).

Wilk., Ijalana, Forte, Skrine, Devin Smith, and Carpenter should all be cap casualties. 

Wilk is an obvious one. 

Skrine had a solid season but still commits a ton of penalties and still has awful games. Just not worth the money. Jets need to resign Mo C., start Burris opposite him and put Roberts in the slot- and continue to draft CB talent (hopefully Clark and Jones will develop into something- I like their potential). 

Ijalana essentially was outplayed by Shell. He's a goner.

Forte is simply too old and the Jets need to draft a RB to play alongside Powell and McGuire (I like J.Adams from ND and S.Michel from Georgia- I think both would complement Powell and McGuire well). 

Smith is a lost cause due to injuries.

Carpenter had an off season but I really don't think he is that bad. He played much better in 2016. Having said that, the cap hit is just too much. $6.8mil. They should take the 2mil dead cap hit and upgrade via FA (the obvious guy is Norwell, but there are others that will be available).      

With the freed up money they can re-sign Mo. C, D.Davis and maybe make an offer to ASJ and K.Ealy...but most imprtantly go aggressively after K.Cousins. That will allow them to trade down from the 6th overall pick and infuse the team with a ton of talent- the aforementioned RB, an OT, Pass Rusher, WR, etc. 

10 minutes ago, jpoppy717 said:

Ridiculous statement completely underrates Anderson Enunwa and Kearse.  If Enunwa is relatively healthy (and that's a big IF) this is a decent WR group.  No true #1 but 3 players who are low-end 1s or high-end 2s.  Even without Enunwa it's not league worst.  It wasn't last year.  

No ranking system is gospel, but Bleacher Report does a good intensive scouting review and ranking.  Have Anderson as No. 20 and Kearse No. 31 outside WR last year.  http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2752678-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-outside-wide-receivers-of-2017-season  Obviously up for argument, but in a 32 team league that's far from the worst WR starters.  

Hansen and Stewart showed close to nothing, but they were rookies, not going anywhere, see how they develop from here.

Trying not to be dismissive here, but that's just as ridiculous a perspective. Sunshine glasses and rose colored lenses.

Let's take off our "fan cap" and put on your GM hat for a moment--

1. Your defacto #1 is a fcking moron. I'm not convinced he makes it to TC without another incident. I'd cut him if it was up to me. And he's at best a great depth thread, but hardly a chain mover.
  2. Enunwa is a question mark until proven otherwise. If your the GM you have to entertain the possibility that he won't be back at anything near 100%
  3. Kearse -- solid. Best WR in the group, but that's saying something that you're best WR is an aging Slot WR.
  4. The rookies have shown me (GM) nothing to instill confidence that we can count on them.

So yes... I say again, who has it worse? Show me names. CHI is a rough spot too, but there's silver lining of talent there, so edge to CHI. 

1 minute ago, Paradis said:

Trying not to be dismissive here, but that's just as ridiculous a perspective. Sunshine glasses and rose colored lenses.

Let's take off our "fan cap" and put on your GM hat for a moment--

1. Your defacto #1 is a fcking moron. I'm not convinced he makes it to TC without another incident. I'd cut him if it was up to me. And he's at best a great depth thread, but hardly a chain mover.
  2. Enunwa is a question mark until proven otherwise. If your the GM you have to entertain the possibility that he won't be back at anything near 100%
  3. Kearse -- solid. Best WR in the group, but that's saying something that you're best WR is an aging Slot WR.
  4. The rookies have shown me (GM) nothing to instill confidence that we can count on them.

So yes... I say again, who has it worse? Show me names. CHI is a rough spot too, but there's silver lining of talent there, so edge to CHI. 

Think you are vastly underrating Anderson, more than just a deep threat, 2nd year player has room to grow, nearly 1,000 years last year on bad offense.  Cutting him when he's super cheap is absurd.  He'll probably be suspended 1 game, hopefully cleans up his act.  Not the only WR with issues.

Agree Enunwa a big ?  

Teams aside from Chicago we arguably have better WRs than: Buffalo, Miami, Cleveland, Baltimore, Jax, Indy, Ten, Dallas (esp if Dez cut), Wash, Carolina.   

34 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Took a minute to think about it though, didn't it.

On paper, they should be better but Meredith and White injures have derailed that ship. But i'd argue they've tried more earnestly than we have. They went into the season with Breakout receiver Meredith, signed both Kendall Wright and M Wheaton and were holding out hope for Kevin White. 

I mean it’s the same situation with the Jets. They have talented guys. But will they be there all season long? If not then you end up with how the Bears looked. 

The talent is there but all the question marks makes it uncomfortable. 

15 minutes ago, Pac said:

Tod Bowles never said he quit..  Morton did.

spazz.

Um, yes he did.  And even if he didnt, he's the Head Coach.  You think one of his coordinators and their entire unit just stops trying and Todd was just totally clueless that it was happening as he was standing on the sideline two feet from Morton sharing the same headset and running the entire team?

You redefine the word stupid. 

24 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I mean it’s the same situation with the Jets. They have talented guys. But will they be there all season long? If not then you end up with how the Bears looked. 

The talent is there but all the question marks makes it uncomfortable. 

Really, where's the talent? The only individual that even remotely fits that description is Enunwa. Hansen and Stewart are Jags. Not their fault our GM is boob and overdrafted them. Robbie's problems aren't performance related, and a good manager isn't counting on him. 

45 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Thin-slicing is a term used in psychology and philosophy to describe the ability to find patterns in events based only on "thin slices," or narrow windows, of experience.

:huh:

Well, if you continued on to the next wiki-sentence... : The term means making very quick inferences about the state, characteristics or details of an individual or situation with minimal amounts of information. Brief judgments based on thin-slicing are similar to those judgments based on much more information. Judgments based on thin-slicing can be as accurate, or even more accurate, than judgments based on much more information.

Basically, I'm saying don't give me some stat-filled, on year wonder skewed table of events. Use your gut. Our WRs suck. 

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Really, where's the talent? The only individual that even remotely fits that description is Enunwa. Hansen and Stewart are Jags. Not their fault our GM is boob and overdrafted them. Robbie's problems aren't performance related, and a good manager isn't counting on him. 

Enunwa, Kearse and Anderson don't have talent? That's a more then capable bunch. And no, a GM can't count on them. I was just responding from a talent standpoint, if they were all healthy and had no issues, it'd be fine. 

But don't tell me Bears have a silver lining of talent by listing Kendall Wright, Wheaton and White. Stop. 

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Enunwa, Kearse and Anderson don't have talent? That's a more then capable bunch. And no, a GM can't count on them. I was just responding from a talent standpoint, if they were all healthy and had no issues, it'd be fine. 

But don't tell me Bears have a silver lining of talent by listing Kendall Wright, Wheaton and White. Stop. 

If we're going to push health concerns aside, I suspect 0/32 GMs would opt for Enunwa/Anderson/Kearse over Meredith/Wright/White.

Another dumb article written in a way to create controversy for a story that doesn't exist. Headline implies, but does not say, the front office is considering cutting him. Then later says the front office has no plans right now to cut Kearse. Actual story: none. It creates a prompt for a couple days of commentary on ESPN about Kearse. Filling space in the laziest way possible.

3 hours ago, Paradis said:

Well, if you continued on to the next wiki-sentence... : The term means making very quick inferences about the state, characteristics or details of an individual or situation with minimal amounts of information. Brief judgments based on thin-slicing are similar to those judgments based on much more information. Judgments based on thin-slicing can be as accurate, or even more accurate, than judgments based on much more information.

Basically, I'm saying don't give me some stat-filled, on year wonder skewed table of events. Use your gut. Our WRs suck. 

Says your gut.

My gut says the pieces I want to retain are adequate. Not great, not sh*t, and improvements should be explored actively after other priorities are addressed.

Not really a crazy viewpoint.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Says your gut.

My gut says the pieces I want to retain are adequate. Not great, not sh*t, and improvements should be explored actively after other priorities are addressed.

Not really a crazy viewpoint.

I think this a product of lowered standards.

The rams at present have the following WRs under contract:

1. Sammy Watkins
  2. Robert Woods
  3. Cooper Kupp
  4. Josh Reynolds (what a worth while 4th rounder looks like)
  5. Tavon Austin
  6. TEs G Everette & T. Higbee

That's what a developing young WR corps looks like. Not the box of shingles we're schlepping across state-lines asking to catch balls.

Just my opinion.

4 hours ago, The Walrus said:

Kearse, Ealy, these guys come in and contribute and are clearly in the top half of what talent we have. We have to retain them IMO.

Or we could just upgrade.  We’re only $100+ million under the cap after Mo’s lazy ass gets cut

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

I think this a product of lowered standards.

The rams at present have the following WRs under contract:

1. Sammy Watkins
  2. Robert Woods
  3. Cooper Kupp
  4. Josh Reynolds (what a worth while 4th rounder looks like)
  5. Tavon Austin
  6. TEs G Everette & T. Higbee

That's what a developing young WR corps looks like. Not the box of shingles we're schlepping across state-lines asking to catch balls.

Just my opinion.

I was talking to a giants fan today he acted like we had the 1998 Minnesota Vikings WR corps

Archived