Ex-NFLer says hes had 2500 concussions

Jetster

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

i wonder what ever happened to norm bulach?  he was a running back for the colts (i think or may the dolfins) back in the 70's who was always getting his bell rung.  they actually made a specially padded helmet just for him to try and protect his head.

apparently he is still alive and is 71 years old. 

I believe his story is credulous. His math equals out. I’ve been watching the Jets since 1965.  Seen every game since then. That’s roughly around 800 games. Each game I get 4 concussions from banging my head into the wall. That’s 3200 concussions. ?

13 hours ago, nycdan said:

I think this is critical.  2,500 impacts, sure.  But not every impact is a concussion by a long shot.  Now when you get into the area of so-called micro-concussions, it gets murkier.  He could very well have thousands of those, and there is debate about higher numbers of those being equally dangerous and possibly related to CTE.  

It is a sh*tload MORE than 2,500 "impacts."  He played 250 games.  You probably have an average of close to 1 impact per play.  He meant 2,500 big hits.  He estimated 10 per game, "if you are doing your job" at MLB.  I would say that they don't rise to the level of "getting your bell rung" like @pointman means, but there are still hits considerably harder than routine "impacts."  I think he was trying to make the point because of the cumulative effects (Steelers C Mike Webster is the one I think of) and the fact that they are finding that hits that don't seem to leave much impact initially can add up.  The hits I am thinking of don't have 15 minutes of repercussion (Grade 1) which I would consider "getting your bell rung,"

There are shots where you feel odd afterwards. Not bad enough to get taken out of the game. You know all thats going on. Your name, what transpired, what you are doing, but you feel a little queasy like you were a little kid who spun in circles one time too many. Then there is the bad stuff. Where you legitimately lose time. You were on the field going, and the next thing you remember is somewhere down the road... in the showers, or sometimes worse, at home eating pizza. Sometimes there are no real after shocks, and sometimes you feel like you got hit by a car for days. No chance in hell he suffered either of those at a rate of 10 per game. ZERO. *It hits people differently, obviously.. but its all in the same realm. 

9 hours ago, pointman said:

There are shots where you feel odd afterwards. Not bad enough to get taken out of the game. You know all thats going on. Your name, what transpired, what you are doing, but you feel a little queasy like you were a little kid who spun in circles one time too many. Then there is the bad stuff. Where you legitimately lose time. You were on the field going, and the next thing you remember is somewhere down the road... in the showers, or sometimes worse, at home eating pizza. Sometimes there are no real after shocks, and sometimes you feel like you got hit by a car for days. No chance in hell he suffered either of those at a rate of 10 per game. ZERO. *It hits people differently, obviously.. but its all in the same realm. 

I had a mild concussion 2 winters ago. Couldn't bend over without dry heaving for about 3 days, lost time, didn't know it was winter, classic stuff

Took me a week to feel ok and a month to feel like myself

Since then I have a new outlook on nfl concussions. 

18 hours ago, Larz said:

I had a mild concussion 2 winters ago. Couldn't bend over without dry heaving for about 3 days, lost time, didn't know it was winter, classic stuff

Took me a week to feel ok and a month to feel like myself

Since then I have a new outlook on nfl concussions. 

Glad you got back to normal. Some never do. The lingering aftershocks are pretty horrible to endure long term/for life. 

The losing time one is always so curiously odd. Like if you talk to other people that are with you, they often say you were talking, walking, and generally being yourself with some caveats. Its crazy to think how our bodies just coast on autopilot with our brains having just bounced off its walls. 

8 minutes ago, pointman said:

Glad you got back to normal. Some never do. The lingering aftershocks are pretty horrible to endure long term/for life. 

The losing time one is always so curiously odd. Like if you talk to other people that are with you, they often say you were talking, walking, and generally being yourself with some caveats. Its crazy to think how our bodies just coast on autopilot with our brains having just bounced off its walls. 

Agreed. I fell on ice and cracked the back of my head.. My daughter is an aspiring nurse and I was so out of it she called an ambulance. They tell me I told the paramedics to sleep over because the roads were so bad.. I have no memory of that.. 

It's so obvious when these nfl players are concussed and it's a shame we still see star players allowed back in the game 

Maybe I was kind of a d*ck about it; I'm not minimizing the issue, I just found it hard to believe that someone had 2500 concussions.  

Has anyone read this article from Rob Kelly's wife?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/opinion/sunday/nfl-cte-brain-damage.html

Absolutely worth your time.  

There's part of me that's upset with how the sport is less physical than it was in the early 2000's.  There's another part of me that's horrified with how damaging this sport is to the human brain.  I used-to-think that the price of the glory, big paychecks and playboy lifestyle of the NFLer were bad knees, shoulders, and joints; old injuries that never healed properly because you were shot-up and sent back to the field; constant pain (and battles against becoming addicted to pain-management).  And perhaps if that's all it was, I thought it was worth it.  Sure, I'd sign up for that physical toll for a chance at the glory, riches, and fame.   

But it's the brain injuries that have changed my mind.  These guys are mental and emotional wrecks.  Fits of uncontrollable rage, impulse control, depression, and suicidal thoughts are common.  This isn't "Oh my knees are sh*t and I had a bad year when I was addicted to Vicodin, but I'm better now".  This is different.  This is "I'm a liability, a danger to those closest to me".  Think of how scary it must be to have an unpredictable state of mind day-to-day.  

I wouldn't be willing to pay that price anymore knowing what I know now.  

And I don't know the answer to how to fix a sport that I love; knowing full well that the violence of the sport has a far more serious cost than I originally understood while also remaining an absolutely essential aspect of what makes the sport so entertaining.  

4 hours ago, Larz said:

Agreed. I fell on ice and cracked the back of my head.. My daughter is an aspiring nurse and I was so out of it she called an ambulance. They tell me I told the paramedics to sleep over because the roads were so bad.. I have no memory of that.. 

It's so obvious when these nfl players are concussed and it's a shame we still see star players allowed back in the game 

Ha lucky you in that situation. People do some dangerous stuff when wacked in the head. And lol. Classic. You know those medics won't ever forget that.

21 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Maybe I was kind of a d*ck about it; I'm not minimizing the issue, I just found it hard to believe that someone had 2500 concussions.  

Has anyone read this article from Rob Kelly's wife?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/02/opinion/sunday/nfl-cte-brain-damage.html

Absolutely worth your time.  

There's part of me that's upset with how the sport is less physical than it was in the early 2000's.  There's another part of me that's horrified with how damaging this sport is to the human brain.  I used-to-think that the price of the glory, big paychecks and playboy lifestyle of the NFLer were bad knees, shoulders, and joints; old injuries that never healed properly because you were shot-up and sent back to the field; constant pain (and battles against becoming addicted to pain-management).  And perhaps if that's all it was, I thought it was worth it.  Sure, I'd sign up for that physical toll for a chance at the glory, riches, and fame.   

But it's the brain injuries that have changed my mind.  These guys are mental and emotional wrecks.  Fits of uncontrollable rage, impulse control, depression, and suicidal thoughts are common.  This isn't "Oh my knees are sh*t and I had a bad year when I was addicted to Vicodin, but I'm better now".  This is different.  This is "I'm a liability, a danger to those closest to me".  Think of how scary it must be to have an unpredictable state of mind day-to-day.  

I wouldn't be willing to pay that price anymore knowing what I know now.  

And I don't know the answer to how to fix a sport that I love; knowing full well that the violence of the sport has a far more serious cost than I originally understood while also remaining an absolutely essential aspect of what makes the sport so entertaining.  

The toll to be a player in the league is huge. Before guys didn't really know for sure how traumatic it could be, but now they do. Honestly, for a lot of people (even those experienced in getting their head pummeled) the dream of playing in the league is huge and still worth the risk. Its not just the money, but the love of the game. Yeah, it still exists. I'd give up a lot of what is sacrificed for the chance to play at that level. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2018 at 10:46 AM, Jetster said:

Uh, something tells me this guy has a friend who is a lawyer, lol. The NFL has a lot o money stashed away for these lawsuits. Cant say I blame him for trying, lol.

“If you’re not getting at least 10 of those a game, as a middle linebacker in the NFL, that means you didn’t play that day,” Plummer said, during an appearance on The 49ers Insider Podcast. “I played 250 games. So [with] at least 10 a game, that’s 2,500 concussions.”

Nah.  If he hasn't filed already, he's definitely got statute of limitations issues.

Archived