Were The Scoutinf Reports Right? - Christian Hackenberg

Patriot Killa

Mark which applies to you.  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these apply to you in your small sample sized observation of Hackenberg?

• He has the ability to be a starter. Bowles won’t give him reps because Bryce Petty flashed in Preseason
    • Hackenberg is garbage, otherwise he would be on the field..period
    • Hackenberg has the ability to be a starter but the coaches have failed him in development

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ganggreennation.com/platform/amp/2018/2/23/17041940/were-the-scouting-reports-right-christian-hackenberg-new-york-jets

Here it is, ladies and gentlemen, the one you’ve been waiting for! To continue our series, let’s look back at the predraft scouting reports of Christian Hackenberg and compare it to what we’ve seen from him in his brief exhibition playing time. Obviously, Hack was a very unpopular pick among Jets fans the moment he was selected. Unlike another New York athlete (closely resembling a unicorn) who was booed upon selection only 10 months earlier, Hackenberg has done nothing to prove the doubters wrong. What did we, or the Jets for that matter, miss?

From NFL.com, here are the strengths listed in Hackenberg’s scouting report.

Prototypical size for pocket quarterback. Durable and tough. Willing to hang in and take the hit if he thinks a completion is pending. Took a pounding and never missed a start. Experienced in pro-style attack and played well in Bill O’Brien’s scheme as a freshman. Able and willing to work through progressions when protected. Balls comes out of his hand with pro velocity. Can drive hips through his release for extra mustard. Can make all the throws, and has the arm talent to take shots to areas of the field that most quarterbacks can’t. Underrated in touch throw department. Can float the ball over top of defenders and deliver it on a pillow. Decent athlete able to climb pocket while keeping his eyes downfield. Recognizes and points out late blitz movement pre-snap. Recognizes danger and able to avoid most baiting attempts. Dropped interception total from 15 in 2014 to just six in 2015. Twice voted team captain and has displayed leadership qualities from time he stepped on campus.

What seems right?

• Well, unless Hack has shrunk in the past two years (who knows, all that sitting on the bench couldn’t have been great for his posture), I would say that he still has prototype size.

What seems off?

• “Can make all the throws.” - One of the most ridiculous statements to make about a quarterback prospect. What does this even mean? One would assume that a player talented enough to reach the NFL technically “can” make all the throws, or else they probably wouldn’t have made it that far. With a few exceptions, every NFL receiver is capable of making the same catch the next guy does. It’s not about what you can do. It’s about how consistently you can do it. And when someone completes 56% of their passing attempts as a collegiate quarterback, it is a gigantic bright red flag that the player just might not be capable of adequate consistency at the pro level.
  • “Able and willing to work through progressions when protected.” - Even though it was preseason, the Jets did not show the confidence in Hackenberg to put many advanced concepts on his plate. He averaged 8.9 yards per completion in the preseason this year. That is ghastly.
  • “Recognizes and points out late blitz movement pre-snap. Recognizes danger and able to avoid most baiting attempts.” - If Hackenberg were this smart as a quarterback, he wouldn’t be as ineffective as he has been against merry-go-round rotating defenses in the preseason, and the Jets probably wouldn’t feel the need to sign a 39-year old mentor to put ahead of their premium investment on the depth chart.

Here are the negatives listing on his scouting report.

Debilitating accuracy issues with atrocious 51.5 percent adjusted completion total (throws beyond line of scrimmage). Turns receivers into goalies. Even simple throws can be coin-flippers in accuracy department. Release point can vary greatly and he is still looking for repeatable footwork, mechanics and release. Will throw a spiral followed by wobbler. Ball patting and wind-up slows release and can obstruct timing. Extra air under deep balls combined with marginal timing allows safeties time to race into the play. Busted internal clock. Allows pressure to overtake him rather than getting catchable throw out a shade early. Sacked 82 times over last two years. Iffy accuracy and ball placement falls off map when defenses send pressure. Completed just 44.2 percent against five rushers and 41.9 percent against six. Pocket feel a work in progress. Will climb pocket into trouble unnecessarily.

What seems right?

• Well, it’s pointed out right off the top that he has accuracy issues. That has obviously continued to be his main issue, but here’s my question. If it is deemed that a prospect has accuracy issues, how can go you and list his ability “to make all the throws” as a positive? It doesn’t make sense to me, and it seems likely that was part of the logic the Jets used in deciding he was worth a 2nd round pick. Just because it looks nice when you do do it, doesn’t mean you are good at it. It’s about doing it consistently.
  • Again, this entire section is about inaccuracy and inconsistency. If those are your biggest weaknesses, what strength could you possibly have to mitigate them?

What seems wrong?

• None of this has been proven wrong. 

Few were fans of this pick, but how many would have bet that 32 games into his career Hackenberg would not have contributed even a single passing attempt?

At this point, it seems as unlikely as ever that Hackenberg will never throw a pass for the Jets in the regular season. He couldn’t sniff playing time behind Bryce Petty and Josh McCown, and now (if he is still on the roster) will have to compete with whatever the Jets concoct out of almost nine figures of cap room and a top six selection.

Needing a big victory as much as ever, Mike Maccagnan decided to up the risk factor a bit and shoot for the dartboard blindfolded from 100 feet away. If he hit, he’d be an absolute legend. If he missed, it would prove one of the most embarrassing (yet predictable) misses of all time. He missed, all right. Only question is; did he hit the ocean?

22 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Debilitating accuracy 

Turns receivers into goalies.

wobbler

slows release

Extra air under deep balls combined with marginal timing

Busted internal clock. Allows pressure to overtake him

Iffy accuracy and ball placement falls off map when defenses send pressure. 

Pocket feel a work in progress. 

Reads like a second rounder to me. 

Groaned out loud when they picked him.

I feel like I'm more in the camp of being a Maccagnan defender than hater of his, but this was inexcusable. 

What possessed him to think that Hack was worth that high a pick? Did he really think we were gonna miss out on him if he were drafted elsewhere? Did he think there was a bunch  ONE other team that looked at him and was like "oh, I hope we can snag him in the late second/early third?"

I can see the logic of other picks that didn't (or aren't) working out.

Devin Smith had some game breaking playmaking ability as a deep threat before he got snake bit with injuries, Darron Lee was a very young and brought some speed to a slow and aging LB corps.

Hackenberg? I didn't get it then, and I'm baffled now.

What seems off?

• “Can make all the throws.” - One of the most ridiculous statements to make about a quarterback prospect. What does this even mean? One would assume that a player talented enough to reach the NFL technically “can” make all the throws, or else they probably wouldn’t have made it that far. With a few exceptions, every NFL receiver is capable of making the same catch the next guy does. It’s not about what you can do. It’s about how consistently you can do it. And when someone completes 56% of their passing attempts as a collegiate quarterback, it is a gigantic bright red flag that the player just might not be capable of adequate consistency at the pro level.

• Chad Pennington could NOT, in fact, make all of the throws, despite his superb accuracy.  
  • Hackenberg CAN, in fact, make any NFL throw.  He simply cannot make them accurately.

"Can make all the throws" is a reflection of arm strength only, nothing more.  It has nothing to do with accuracy.

I saw this idea floated around somewhere and thought it was sort of interesting.  I'll preface this by saying I have zero expectations for Hack at this point and I think that his ceiling is probably a backup QB at this point.  But, I did hear the theory that by signing Cousins Hack could still be in play for the future sounds crazy but Hack is still only 22 years old and we would most likely be signing Cousins to a 3-5 year deal meaning at worst Hack would be 27/28 by the time Cousins' deal is over.  Not at all a likely scenario but also not completely crazy either.....

1 hour ago, Tony MaC said:

I feel like I'm more in the camp of being a Maccagnan defender than hater of his, but this was inexcusable. 

What possessed him to think that Hack was worth that high a pick? Did he really think we were gonna miss out on him if he were drafted elsewhere? Did he think there was a bunch  ONE other team that looked at him and was like "oh, I hope we can snag him in the late second/early third?"

Devin Smith had some game breaking playmaking ability as a deep threat before he got snake bit with injuries, Darron Lee was a very young and brought some speed to a slow and aging LB corps.

This.  Anyone who saw any of the games of his last year in college knew this was a bad pick.   He was horrific.

1 hour ago, Tony MaC said:

When my sister went to PSU, I developed an interest in Penn State football. Consequently, I saw most of the snaps of Hack's career. The guy was/is an awful QB and I was openly pissed when the Jets took him. 

7 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

What seems off?

Did the author ever watch Chad Pennington?

Browning Nagle flash backs comes to mind every time I think of Christian Hackenberg. While Nagle had only two years starting in Louisville, His completion percentage avearge was 55.7, his touchdown average 16 a year.   Almost identical, Hackenberg's completion percentage avearge was 56.1, his touchdown average 16 a year.

Master of the touch pass, Nagle's  completion percentage dropped from his college average to 49.6 in his time at the Jets.

Mind you Christian has been stuck on the bench for two years behind giants of the game like Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty and Josh McCown. Browning Nagle managed to finally wiggle out from behind Ken O'Brien in his second year as a Jet and start 13 games. Like a fine wine, it's all ahead for Christian. Boy, will we be called out on this forum as Christian marshalls the Jets to the playoffs this fall.

8 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

If we draft a QB and not sign Cousins, my prediction is Hack isn't a Jet in 2018.  

This is possible. The QBs would be the draft pick, a McCown type, and either a 3rd or no body.  

I would put Hack on the practice squad and they can bring him up if someone gets hurt.  I think that is the appropriate place for him.  

But seriously, out of Mac’s draft picks, what were his good ones?  Picks where he added value from scouting?  Where the pick out punched where he was picked?

Williams does not count.

If Smith could have started maybe, but he is likely done.

If Mauldin started maybe.

I would give him Jenkins, Shell, Maye and Edwards.  Maybe Maye turns out to be very good, but he is also relatively old for his year out of school.  

He approach to the draft is terrible.  

Well he's hard to access considering he's never officially played in an NFL game. Jets gave him opportunity in preseason to show something and he epically failed. He's still young and could be something. Supposedly has a good QB head, has a good arm but the game hasn't slow down for him yet, so I'm  not giving up on him totally. If the Jets don't land Cousins and my gut tells me they won't, then it may be another year of McCown , a drafted QB and perhaps Petty gets the boot. Remember Bowles loves the Vets and will go with them. Why??? Say it with me, "because it gives the Jets the best chance to win".

Good grief!!!

The draft report that said hack was undraftable was very accurate - wasted pick and 2-3 years of a roster spot

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg

Anyone who watched him play in the BIG10 would agree and would not need to see him play in the NFL "just to make sure" - great kid, glad he won the woody lottery for $5m, he should have a nice life

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

The draft report that said hack was undraftable was very accurate - wasted pick and 2-3 years of a roster spot

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-why-pff-doesnt-have-a-draftable-grade-on-christian-hackenberg

Anyone who watched him play in the BIG10 would agree and would not need to see him play in the NFL "just to make sure" - great kid, glad he won the woody lottery for $5m, he should have a nice life

I puked on that Friday as we drafted him.

21 hours ago, peebag said:

This.  Anyone who saw any of the games of his last year in college knew this was a bad pick.   He was horrific.

If memory serves me right I believe the term REGRESSED was used a lot before we picked him in the 2nd. His only decent year was his 1st year at Penn State.

Archived