Schefter: Chiefs trade Marcus Peters to Rams

MDL_JET

9 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

Sucks we're hamstrung by the Cousins situation before we can make any other move, we'll lose out in the trade market and FA waiting for Cousins to decide

Um, how are we hamstrung exactly?  We have nearly 100 million dollars in cap room now and are scheduled to have 140 million the year after. 

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Is Kendall Fuller considered a viable option to replace Peters?  Or is he more of a cover-the-slot guy (albeit a really good one)?

Hes definitely more of a slot guy, and KC will definitely have a hole to fill at CB and dont have a first round pick

1 minute ago, BCJet said:

This seals Trumaine Johnson as hitting the open market.  Id rather sign him then trade for peters.

Yeah let’s pay the 29 year old Revis money because Revis money is the going rate for average to good corners, no thanks.  KC literally has zero draft equity besides the 3rd rounder they got back from Washington so if this is one of those 5th round deals the Jets should have pounced, but Bowles saw first hand Peters might not be leader of men and sh*t that one game so that probably sealed it for us to stay away, but drunks, and that other kid we signed who had all kinds of off field issues is all good, but in the field no 2nd chances what a joke, well unless your name is Muhammad Wilkerson SMH.

4 minutes ago, prime21 said:

With two years left on his rookie contract, a 2nd round pick may have been warranted to go after him.  Lets see what the Rams gave up.  It's also possible that we may not want to deal picks in case we try and move up.

one year left plus the option year if that's what you meant.  Agreed that it may simply have been a matter of too expensive in draft capital?

16 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

Sucks we're hamstrung by the Cousins situation before we can make any other move, we'll lose out in the trade market and FA waiting for Cousins to decide

We were never going to be players in the trade market until our QB position was settled. I'd be furious if we gave away a 2nd for him and then were unable to trade up for a QB.

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

Thats crazy. I feel so bad for St. Louis. I have a friend that lives there and he stopped supporting the rams once they left town...they are becoming a serious force in the NFL. What a trade!

Don’t get me wrong McVay has a lot to do with righting the ship, but it also helps when the NFL basically made sure the Rams got every chance to get things right, no coincidence that they were the team to get trade up to get that number 1 pick once they moved to LA that was a back room league office negotiated thing IMO.

22 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah let’s pay the 29 year old Revis money because Revis money is the going rate for average to good corners, no thanks.  KC literally has zero draft equity besides the 3rd rounder they got back from Washington so if this is one of those 5th round deals the Jets should have pounced, but Bowles saw first hand Peters might not be leader of men and sh*t that one game so that probably sealed it for us to stay away, but drunks, and that other kid we signed who had all kinds of off field issues is all good, but in the field no 2nd chances what a joke, well unless your name is Muhammad Wilkerson SMH.

So you dont want to pay cousins or Trumaine Johnson - who exactly would you like to sign to help this team get better?

7 minutes ago, BCJet said:

So you dont want to pay cousins or Trumaine Johnson - who exactly would you like to sign to help this team get better?

I never said I don’t want to sign Cousins, I said no ******* way am I giving him 30-35 mill per year, and guaranteeing more then 3 years I’d be ok with a 3 year 75 million deal (obviously the deal will be 6 for 150, or whatever, but the only numbers that count are the guaranteed portions, and at 3 years 75 million worth of guaranteed I’m on board), but if the bidding gets crazy peace I’m out.

There are plenty of Free Agents to sign, I’m more then fine giving a good amount to sign 2 top FA WR’s,  2-3 top OL Free Agents, and 1 CB, preferably one who won’t fall off a cliff due to age in the 2nd year of his contract, and then also resigning D Davis, M Claiborne, and get a deal done with Leo Williams.  And also sign one of the other FA QB’s who will get something like 15 million to be your guy until your drafted QB is ready.

49 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Is Kendall Fuller considered a viable option to replace Peters?  Or is he more of a cover-the-slot guy (albeit a really good one)?

Guy is just about elite already and is 23. Yes he’s a viable option. He was better than his counterpart Josh Norman last year. And he can size up WR’s on the outside.

48 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Thats crazy. I feel so bad for St. Louis. I have a friend that lives there and he stopped supporting the rams once they left town...they are becoming a serious force in the NFL. What a trade!

Yeah, it sucks to be a city that takes a franchise from another city, win Super Bowls and then have that city take that franchise back and becomes competitive.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

one year left plus the option year if that's what you meant.  Agreed that it may simply have been a matter of too expensive in draft capital?

That plus off field issues  he had his share of problems in college where he was kicked off the team at Washington.  He was suspended by Reid after the Jet game -- don't know if there were other problems prior to that in KC, but it may have been part of the decision:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000889782/article/marcus-peters-suspension-also-due-to-rift-with-coach

Earlier this week, Chiefs coach Andy Reid suspended standout cornerback Marcus Peters for one game after the defender's outburst late in a loss to the New York Jets.

It involved a flag tossed by Peters into the stands, the disappearance of Peters (by misconception that he'd been ejected), and later, his socks. According to NFL Network's Mike Garafolo, it also included a spat with a coach.

Garafolo reported on Good Morning Football Weekend that Peters and a coach got into an argument on the way to the airport after the game against the Jets, which was listed as one of the reasons for his team-imposed suspension without pay. Peters was also fined $24,309 by the league for unsportsmanlike conduct, NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported Friday, per a league spokesman.

1 hour ago, Sully80 said:

Why do you say that?  certainly not because of the Cap, we have more than enough to make moves and still get Cousins after he's officially available.

18 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Yeah, it sucks to be a city that takes a franchise from another city, win Super Bowls and then have that city take that franchise back and becomes competitive.

I guess thats the excuse of a fan of a team thats won nothing, because no longer supporting them would make more sense huh? 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Why do you say that?  certainly not because of the Cap, we have more than enough to make moves and still get Cousins after he's officially available.

I understand that, but it sounds more and more likely that Cousins will cost us 45-60 Million in the first year, we'd still have about 30 but with resigning your own, we're really looking at maybe 1 other big deal that could be made, you'd have to decide who you want most whether its trumaine johnson, norwell, watkins, Jansen, Fuller, etc. and make the move. But forget about signing a bunch of high priced guys because we'll have to wait on counsins who I'd imagine will visit every team once free agency starts. The problem with Cousins doing that is that most guys just agree to contracts during the tampering period w/o even visiting so a lot of guys will be locked up by the time Cousins decides

2 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

I understand that, but it sounds more and more likely that Cousins will cost us 45-60 Million in the first year, we'd still have about 30 but with resigning your own, we're really looking at maybe 1 other big deal that could be made, you'd have to decide who you want most whether its trumaine johnson, norwell, watkins, Jansen, Fuller, etc. and make the move. But forget about signing a bunch of high priced guys because we'll have to wait on counsins who I'd imagine will visit every team once free agency starts. The problem with Cousins doing that is that most guys just agree to contracts during the tampering period w/o even visiting so a lot of guys will be locked up by the time Cousins decides

I would caution you to stop listening to the rather fantastical media reports out there right now.

As I say every year, they're 99% made up, and designed more for site hits than for enlightenment.

Just now, Warfish said:

I would caution you to stop listening to the rather fantastical media reports out there right now.

As I say every year, they're 99% made up, and designed more for site hits than for enlightenment.

I hear you, but it's not insane to think they'd front load the deal plus the money reports I think are about what Cousins will fetch. Jimmy G deal screwed us, his deal is the floor for Cousins' services unfortunately. 

5 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

Getting Peters would have been considerably cheaper than re-signing Claiborne.  I guess you could say we didn't want to part with the picks so we could move up, but that is going pretty far down the rabbit hole. 

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Getting Peters would have been considerably cheaper than re-signing Claiborne.  I guess you could say we didn't want to part with the picks so we could move up, but that is going pretty far down the rabbit hole. 

I think it is, Mac and Bowles need a QB whether it's Cousins or a QB in the draft, the picks are insurance if we don't wind up with Cousins. 

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Cheaper how? Id be shocked if it was anything less then their 1st round pick. 

11 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Cheaper how? Id be shocked if it was anything less then their 1st round pick. 

My initial response was "Prepare to be shocked" but it appears it will the 1st in 2018 + 2019 5th.  Chiefs initially were trying to get Quinn + pick(s)

Cheaper in money.  @Sully80 seemed concerned that they couldn't spend because they needed to keep their money clear to sign Cousins.  Claiborne is getting paid.  He earned $5M for 2017 and I think, if anything, his price went up. Possible that, like the Smith deal, there will be an extension involved, but I am not so sure.  If they do an extension it is going to be VERY expensive.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000917336/article/kansas-city-chiefs-trading-marcus-peters-to-la-rams

The Kansas City Chiefs are poised to make another blockbuster trade. 

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported K.C. finalized a trade agreement Friday to ship cornerback Marcus Peters to the Los Angeles Rams, according to sources informed of the deal. 

ESPN first reported the development.

Terms of the deal have yet to be reported. The Rams do not own a 2018 second-round pick, having shipped that selection to Buffalo in the Sammy Watkins deal. 

At one point, the #Chiefs were pushing to trade for DE Robert Quinn, along with a draft pick. But sounds like now it'll be just draft picks going over to KC for Marcus Peters.

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 23, 2018

Trades cannot become official until new league year beings on March 14. 

Peters is one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL, making the All-Pro team in 2016 and winning NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2015. The ball-hawking cover man compiled 19 interceptions in just three seasons. Since Peters entered the NFL in 2015, no player has more interceptions (19) or passes defensed (55), per NFL Research. Including playoffs, Peters tallied 21 INTs. Only Ed Reed (22) has more interceptions than Peters over the first three seasons of a player's career in the last 25 years.

Despite his talent on the football field, the Chiefs had reportedly become disenchanted by his behavior. The team suspended the 25-year-old corner for one game last season for his actions during and after a loss to the New York Jets -- when he famously tossed a referee flag after the play, then left the field without being ejected.

The stunning Peters deal comes less than a month after the Chiefs agreed to ship quarterback Alex Smith to Washington. K.C. will receive rising corner Kendall Fuller in the package for Smith. The Chiefs also recently signed corner David Amerson. Those moves led to talks that Peters might be moved, despite the potential downgrade at the position. 

Trading a player of Peters' caliber, who can be under contract for a bargain rate for the next two seasons -- $1.8 million in 2018, team fifth-year option in 2019 -- is almost unheard of in the NFL. 

The low cost coupled with talent made the deal appealing for L.A., which is likely hoping a change of scenery will smooth out any questionable character concerns. 

The move also indicates the Rams will allow corner Trumaine Johnson to walk in free agency. Importing Peters to take his place at a fraction of the cost is a stroke of brilliance for L.A. and ensures there will be no talent drain on Wade Phillips' defense -- especially if the Rams franchise tag safety Lamarcus Joyner. 

Rapoport added that in addition to the Rams, Browns and 49ers also were interested in trading for Peters. 

Archived