Schefter: Chiefs trade Marcus Peters to Rams

MDL_JET

33 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I guess thats the excuse of a fan of a team thats won nothing, because no longer supporting them would make more sense huh? 

This is quite a sentence. Let me get back to you. In the meantime:

You said you felt sorry for the fans in St. Louis because presumably, they lost a franchise that wasn't theirs to begin with. Correct?

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

My initial response was "Prepare to be shocked" but it appears it will the 1st in 2018 + 2019 5th.  Chiefs initially were trying to get Quinn + pick(s)

Cheaper in money.  @Sully80 seemed concerned that they couldn't spend because they needed to keep their money clear to sign Cousins.  Claiborne is getting paid.  He earned $5M for 2017 and I think, if anything, his price went up. Possible that, like the Smith deal, there will be an extension involved, but I am not so sure.

The Cousins money wouldn't affect a Peters move the pick hoarding as insurance in case Cousins goes elsewhere did although I don't think we were ever giving up our 1st rounder, my first post was just expressing frustration that the Cousins negotiations will limit our ability to improve the team until its settled, that most likely means losing out on a couple of guys

3 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

The Cousins money wouldn't affect a Peters move the pick hoarding as insurance in case Cousins goes elsewhere did although I don't think we were ever giving up our 1st rounder, my first post was just expressing frustration that the Cousins negotiations will limit our ability to improve the team until its settled, that most likely means losing out on a couple of guys

I don't think it does. They know about how much they'll have to spend on Cousins. They can still work on other areas, gotta improve it either way. 

Just now, MDL_JET said:

I don't think it does. They know about how much they'll have to spend on Cousins. They can still work on other areas, gotta improve it either way. 

They can definitely improve it while Cousins decides, I agree with you they'll have a number in mind of how much max of the cap they're willing to spend on Cousins so they can still spend while waiting, but regardless of the size you have 27-60 (whatever the number is) on hold until Cousins decides. If Cousins doesn't come to the Jets you could theoretically sign 2-5 impact starters with the left over money, but maybe by that point of FA (because Cousins will likely make his decision after FA starts in order to visit teams, hear their pitch in person) some guys you would've gone after like Johnson, Norwell, Watkins, etc. already made their deal during the tampering period and you've lost out on them, I think that's not far-fetched, in fact it's very likely given our situation.  

57 minutes ago, Sully80 said:

I hear you, but it's not insane to think they'd front load the deal plus the money reports I think are about what Cousins will fetch. Jimmy G deal screwed us, his deal is the floor for Cousins' services unfortunately. 

If we want Cousins, we'll have to pay the current rate, yes.

I don't think our Front Office is sitting on it's hands because of that future possibility.

Peters is an excellent player but he's had behavioral issues all the way back to college.  If
I remember correctly he got thrown off the team at WASH just before he declared for the draft.
His talent should've gotten him picked in the top 10 but KC was able to get him at the end
of the first round.  KC dealing him with multiple years left on his rookie contract says a lot.
This pretty much means Trumaine Johnson will be hitting the market and we'll probably be interested
in him.  Our DB coach (Dennard Wilson) had him in LA so we'll have "inside info".  My one problem
with him is he's 28 I was hoping we would look at CB's in the 25-26 age range         

3 hours ago, Sully80 said:

Sucks we're hamstrung by the Cousins situation before we can make any other move, we'll lose out in the trade market and FA waiting for Cousins to decide

LOL.  So if we weren't in the Cousins hunt, we would have traded picks for Peters?  lol lol lol.  The fiction created on this message board gets richer with every day that passes.  I don't want Mac trading picks for anyone on the trade market now.  

2 hours ago, prime21 said:

With two years left on his rookie contract, a 2nd round pick may have been warranted to go after him.  Lets see what the Rams gave up.  It's also possible that we may not want to deal picks in case we try and move up.

Bingo.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Getting Peters would have been considerably cheaper than re-signing Claiborne.  I guess you could say we didn't want to part with the picks so we could move up, but that is going pretty far down the rabbit hole

Is it?  Mac needs those picks for a likely trade up.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

(Psssst you couldn’t trade for Peters because the coach and DC are mushes who’d get steamrolled by Peters) 

good point.  Bowles is so laissez-faire that Peters would swallow him whole and spit him out on the sidelines.

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Yeah let’s pay the 29 year old Revis money because Revis money is the going rate for average to good corners, no thanks.  KC literally has zero draft equity besides the 3rd rounder they got back from Washington so if this is one of those 5th round deals the Jets should have pounced, but Bowles saw first hand Peters might not be leader of men and sh*t that one game so that probably sealed it for us to stay away, but drunks, and that other kid we signed who had all kinds of off field issues is all good, but in the field no 2nd chances what a joke, well unless your name is Muhammad Wilkerson SMH.

The Peters incident from last year isn't an isolated one.  He has a history of being a loose cannon.  Hell, he almost choked out his college coach.

The kid is a Grade A a**hole and a certified nut job.  I want absolutely zero part of him.  Give me Trumaine Johnson or a draft pick 11 times out of 10.  KC is a much better team by removing him.  I say this all as a huge fan of his when he came out of the draft.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Hello Rams... Yes, this is Mike. I'd like to talk to you about Sammy.

What did i have in mind? Well... have a look at this--

fa89ed1dd9319e5d16f7e89006e1713b--manager-jets.jpg

very good!  Where did you find that?  Was it his high school yearbook pic?

If we send pics, then this one definitely has to go to:

bowles03jpeg-e78963b9cd5e6958.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

LOL.  So if we weren't in the Cousins hunt, we would have traded picks for Peters?  lol lol lol.  The fiction created on this message board gets richer with every day that passes.  I don't want Mac trading picks for anyone on the trade market now.  

Judging from what they got for him no, they wouldn't have, I acknowledged that later in the thread. I believe Mac would entertain parting with 2nd and 3rd rounders if he weren't in the Cousins/draft QB hunt.

24 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

The fact that Jason LaCanfora and Mike Florio have been the most accurate reporters of the off-season so far just shows you how wacky it's really going be this year.

Florio has already recanted his "Jets will give Cousins completely guaranteed contract" speculation.  You know it's really bad when you get put in your place by Manish Mehta. 

1 hour ago, Sully80 said:

Judging from what they got for him no, they wouldn't have, I acknowledged that later in the thread. I believe Mac would entertain parting with 2nd and 3rd rounders if he weren't in the Cousins/draft QB hunt.

You do know that a majority of the deals aren't really done until near the draft right? I mean deals are discussed but they cant be finalized until March

The Rams have PSLs to sell, like the Jets of 2009.  A good playoff run for the Rams in 2018 could do well for them. They will start to have contracts running off that need to be renewed.  They can't afford Johnson, again.  The future is now for the Rams.    

The Chiefs are rebuilding.  They know that Mahomes is likely not at his peak this year, so they don't need Peters and his problems for a likely last year.  The would rather have draft picks.  

The Jets don't need to give up their draft picks for a 1-2 year CB rental.  

I think this has ended up in the right place.  

I am still surprised this trade happend....because from a strictly FOOTBALL perspective, it doesn't make sense.  ...anyhow, as of this post, the compensatoin hasn't been announced...and only Schefter thinks the deal is 100% complete...others haven't even gone so far as to say it's completed.  Anyhow...here are my thoughts considering the information availabe at the time of the post.

1. This move has to do with off field behavior related to the football team/locker room. NOT CRIMINAL ACTIVITY.

2. This deal has been in the works for 3 weeks

3. The ONLY interested team is the Rams....Cleveland, Indy, and even the Niners were only mildly interested.

4. There is a report out there that one AFC leauge executive would be surprised if the Chiefs could get "a third round pick" for Peters. Take that for what it's worth.

Touching on number 3....if you are going to trade a guy, and you only have 1 trade partner, and they know it....the return on this deal is probably going to suck. Take that along with the AFC exec who said he would offer a third and that's it....and couple that with Dorsey in cleveland nad Ballard in Indy not wanting any part of it, that at least says that despite his immense talent, there are some teams who don't think he's worth it...(again....take it for what it's worth)

Many want to throw in that this is a racially motivated deal.. I doubt it's exclusively about standing for the anthem. The Chiefs have a LONG history of being very racially progressive....the teams track record suggests they aren't racist and that they tolerate quite a bit of "sh*t"...so it remains to be seen what all it is that has prompted the team to want to trade an elite player in his prime.

Touching on number 2...the deal has been in the works for 3 weeks....that tells us that when they were seeking out trade partners for Alex Smith, they had this in mind...so that knowing your are working to deal Peters, you try and position yourself to get a replacement part....and that in this case is Fuller.

Still waiting for one or both teams to announce something...the silence is weird......can't even 100% confirm the deal is complete yet...you'd think something would be announced....unlike the Smith trade, that was more or less announced as soon as it was done...this must still be hung up on something/incomplete not done....so I suppose there is some micro chance it doesn't happen, but I wouldn't hold out any hope of that being the case.

Lastly...the next big thing to look for is the Rams offering an extension to Peters or not once this is done. Consider that they have guys who are on the team that they have not offered extensions to, and then if they get Peters and automatically sign a guy who just arrived and known to have some issues....that will be an interesting dynamic for the Rams....or if there is no extension offered and they just pay him his next two year before deciding to sign him back up.....watch and see how the Rams handle this contract....will be interesting.

No word if the Jets made a bid or not.

54 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Rams gave a 4th rounder this year and a second rounder next year.   

This pretty funny.  Somebody said they'd be shocked if it weren't a first.  I had actually typed a response "Prepare to be shocked" and read a tweet by Schefter or Rappoport saying it would be a first this year and a 4th or something next.  Seemed crazy to me, but at least I was glad we didn't make the deal.  This seems more like it. 

Archived