Jaguars out of Cousins race

choon328

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow - $18m per year? for Bortles - the QB premium is getting out of hand and will continue to hurt this game - agree he deserves another chance but 10% of the cap is hard to justify based on his performance to date

At least he seems to try, Mo made $18m and did not seem to try but I can see how this could demotivate other players

46 minutes ago, tfine said:

Coughlin believes in Bortles. Imagine if Mac did this???

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It would be catastrophic if he did because we don't have a QB on the roster half as good as Blake Bortles! 

Macc believes in proven NFL losers who he thinks will be resurrected into something they aren't when they sign with the Jets. 

3 minutes ago, pointman said:

Bortles.. extension. LOL. Thats sadder than Tanny extending Sanchize. 

Idk I think they prevented a potential franchise tag situation after the season if he played well while also having the flexibility of still cutting him next year if he under performs. I like this deal for the Jags, it doesn't appear to hold them back like the Sanchez deal did.

40 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Smart move, he showed enough to be intrigued but not enough to have confidence. This deal gives Bortles $8M more and allows the Jags to cut him if he implodes while at the same time allows the them to keep him without needing to use the franchise tag. 

Yea I don't see why everyone else is sh*tting on this.  

They get him for another year at 'not-quite franchise qb' money; if he plays well they have him at a discount, and if he doesn't, they can cut bait next year with no penalty.  

Bortles actually played well in the AFCC game too.  I was surprised.  

They can still draft a quarterback this year if someone they like falls to one of their picks - this move gives them a lot of flexibility and doesn't force any long-term move. 

This is good for the Jaguars and good for those of us here that want the Jets to sign Cousins. 

35 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Yeah, that's a great way to look at it.  Here's another way to look at it: two weeks before that, the dude goes 12-23 with 87 yards against the Bills.  He blows.

He won thou right?  And let’s leave out the fact there was a constant 25 MPH wind with gusts up to 40 MPH during that game.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Wow - $18m per year? for Bortles - the QB premium is getting out of hand and will continue to hurt this game - agree he deserves another chance but 10% of the cap is hard to justify based on his performance to date

At least he seems to try, Mo made $18m and did not seem to try but I can see how this could demotivate other players

Their hands were tied they owed him 17 million for next year after he got that surgery, so they gave him 2 years guaranteed for 2 reasons spread the money the way they want to, AND cover their ass in case he actually isn’t as bad as some think, and he becomes the QB that played like the best QB in the league weeks 14-16!  He also didn’t panic in the playoffs, and didn’t kill them by turning the ball over, and gave his team a great chance to go to Super Bowl, but his Coach got to conservative to quickly, and ****ed it up.

1 hour ago, tfine said:

They were basically a carbon copy of the 2009 Jets. 1 in Rushing 2nd in Defense. With a Qb that let them down.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

Same QB that put up 45 points in Pittsburgh, and got his team a 2 score lead before his HC played pussy conservative football against the GOAT QB?  Yeah that same QB, and that is not letting his team down, he bailed out his defense Vs Pitt who gave up 40+ points, and had Brady beat.  The 2010 Jets beat the GOAT QB because Rex didn’t get conservative, and kept the offense aggressive making sure Brady couldn’t make a comeback which he was very close to doing just ran out of clock.

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Idk I think they prevented a potential franchise tag situation after the season if he played well while also having the flexibility of still cutting him next year if he under performs. I like this deal for the Jags, it doesn't appear to hold them back like the Sanchez deal did.

Fair enough. I just can't get over that, you know, Bortles f-ing sucks.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Their hands were tied they owed him 17 million for next year after he got that surgery, so they gave him 2 years guaranteed for 2 reasons spread the money the way they want to, AND cover their ass in case he actually isn’t as bad as some think, and he becomes the QB that played like the best QB in the league weeks 14-16!  He also didn’t panic in the playoffs, and didn’t kill them by turning the ball over, and gave his team a great chance to go to Super Bowl, but his Coach got to conservative to quickly, and ****ed it up.

You don't watch much football. 

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Once bortles had surgery, they were locked into him for this year. Maybe this deal helps free up cap space this year. But bortles flat out sucks. They aren't worried about needing to franchise him because I doubt he's their starting QB by the end of the season. 

Archived