Jaguars out of Cousins race

choon328

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What this says is Draft a rookie QB. If Blake's making 18 per, then Drafting a QB on cheap Money for at least 3-4 years makes sence. 

The modern NFL has made the QB even more important.

I think people seem to be shocked over the prices for a QB now. I'm not, good ones change everything, and even average ones make an impression.

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

He won thou right?  And let’s leave out the fact there was a constant 25 MPH wind with gusts up to 40 MPH during that game.

No, his team won.  He sucks.  And don't even blame it on the wind.  I don't ever recall hearing anything about 25 MPH winds and 40 MPH gusts.  The guy was missing everything short and long, which isn't unusual for him.

2 hours ago, detectivekimble said:

No, his team won.  He sucks.  And don't even blame it on the wind.  I don't ever recall hearing anything about 25 MPH winds and 40 MPH gusts.  The guy was missing everything short and long, which isn't unusual for him.

You didn’t watch the game then dude, all the talk was about the wind that day in Jacksonville just ask out Jacksonville resident @JiF

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Once bortles had surgery, they were locked into him for this year. Maybe this deal helps free up cap space this year. But bortles flat out sucks. They aren't worried about needing to franchise him because I doubt he's their starting QB by the end of the season. 

If they were locked into him and he has a good season, not completely out of the realm of possibility considering some past performances, then they are in a position where they might need to use the franchise tag in 2019.

For those of you following this offseason the Jets may pay Cousins $60M in year 1 (franchise tag is the average of the top 5 paid at the position) haha no team is going to be able to franchise QBs until like year 2 or 3 of the Cousins deal if the Jets or Browns get him. This is one of my favorite side effects of the Cousins deal that no one is talking about.

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Reminds me of the time we gave Sanchez a 3 year extension with the exception of Bortles having more talent.

agree

I wonder if bortles agent caught them talking about cousins and used it against them lol

Well, he is inaccurate but he can lug the rock.  Those kinds of QBs do drive defenses crazy---provided they do it judiciously.  Fact is, they are more likely to be physically crushed in the pocket than on the field running--with all these rules about hits.

7 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Same QB that put up 45 points in Pittsburgh, and got his team a 2 score lead before his HC played pussy conservative football against the GOAT QB?  Yeah that same QB, and that is not letting his team down, he bailed out his defense Vs Pitt who gave up 40+ points, and had Brady beat.  The 2010 Jets beat the GOAT QB because Rex didn’t get conservative, and kept the offense aggressive making sure Brady couldn’t make a comeback which he was very close to doing just ran out of clock.

Stop it. Bortles sucks because he's not an accurate thrower. He had 2 nice playoff games, nothing that takes away from his overall problems as a quarterback. 

If the Jags wanted to do it, they could still get Eli Manning in for (I believe) 16 million for this season, especially if the Giants draft a QB at two. Not saying it’s likely, but this Bortles deal is a pretty obvious hedge, similar to Glennon’s deal, and as much as the Giants are pretending they still love Manning, everyone knows he’s toast.

9 hours ago, tfine said:

They were basically a carbon copy of the 2009 Jets. 1 in Rushing 2nd in Defense. With a Qb that let them down.

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app

23/46 for almost 300 yards a TD and a 98.5 RTG rating isn't a QB that let you down that day;  Now, the refs on the other hand.....

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

If the Jags wanted to do it, they could still get Eli Manning in for (I believe) 16 million for this season, especially if the Giants draft a QB at two. Not saying it’s likely, but this Bortles deal is a pretty obvious hedge, similar to Glennon’s deal, and as much as the Giants are pretending they still love Manning, everyone knows he’s toast.

my guess is they draft a qb so if bortles sucks they have a very cheap option in a year or two who probably isn't much worse or any worse than bortles and the cap money is gone.  they knew they weren't going to get cousins and figured the continuity was better than bringing in someone like bridgewater or mccarron. 

Not surprising.  Never really thought they were serious players in the Cousins sweepstakes.   They have wayyyy too many priorities to keep that roster loaded for the future than to just dump Bortles after his best season.  They stuck with him through all the bumps and bruises and are a better team for it.  Besides, he ended up winning 2 playoff games, one in Pittsburgh where he was lights out and that's two more than Kirk Cousins has ever won.

This was the right decisions for the Jags, IMO.

Also lets you know a little more about Cousins if you ask me.  Coughlin faced him twice a year for how long and thought so much about him they didnt even wait to resign Bortles

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

You didn’t watch the game then dude, all the talk was about the wind that day in Jacksonville just ask out Jacksonville resident @JiF

Yes, I was there.  It was a frigid day for Jax.  The winds were steady coming off the river at 25+ with definitely some 35-40 gusts.  Both him and Taylor struggled passing the ball.   The winds swirl in that stadium because of how the stadium is positions between the bend in the river.  I think most QB's would have struggled through the ball that day and you have to give the Bills credit, they played a great defensive game too.

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not surprising.  Never really thought they were serious players in the Cousins sweepstakes.   They have wayyyy too many priorities to keep that roster loaded for the future than to just dump Bortles after his best season.  They stuck with him through all the bumps and bruises and are a better team for it.  Besides, he ended up winning 2 playoff games, one in Pittsburgh where he was lights out and that's two more than Kirk Cousins has ever won.

This was the right decisions for the Jags, IMO.

Also lets you know a little more about Cousins if you ask me.  Coughlin faced him twice a year for how long and thought so much about him they didnt even wait to resign Bortles

Eh. They're a pretty complete, young team. I think signing a big a contract to Cousins would just put a short window on things and complicate keeping the team together in a couple years. I think it's actually smarter they resigned Bortles. They can look to hit on a QB in the draft and that would just extend the life of the team having him on a rookie contract.

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Eh. They're a pretty complete, young team. I think signing a big a contract to Cousins would just put a short window on things and complicate keeping the team together in a couple years. I think it's actually smarter they resigned Bortles. They can look to hit on a QB in the draft and that would just extend the life of the team having him on a rookie contract.

You repeated exactly what I said in my post. lol 

That last statement was more of a p.s./also/maybe something to think about type of comment. 

11 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Yea I don't see why everyone else is sh*tting on this.  

They get him for another year at 'not-quite franchise qb' money; if he plays well they have him at a discount, and if he doesn't, they can cut bait next year with no penalty.  

Bortles actually played well in the AFCC game too.  I was surprised.  

They can still draft a quarterback this year if someone they like falls to one of their picks - this move gives them a lot of flexibility and doesn't force any long-term move. 

This is good for the Jaguars and good for those of us here that want the Jets to sign Cousins. 

He played well because the Eagles proved in the Super Bowl that the Patriots defense was HORRIBLE if you actually attacked their weaknesses. It's still a good contract for him because unlike the Jets the Jaguars have drafted well & have a bunch of very good players who will expect to get paid over the next few years. 

11 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Their hands were tied they owed him 17 million for next year after he got that surgery, so they gave him 2 years guaranteed for 2 reasons spread the money the way they want to, AND cover their ass in case he actually isn’t as bad as some think, and he becomes the QB that played like the best QB in the league weeks 14-16!  He also didn’t panic in the playoffs, and didn’t kill them by turning the ball over, and gave his team a great chance to go to Super Bowl, but his Coach got to conservative to quickly, and ****ed it up.

100% agree with the bolded. pretty simple fact

For nearly double the price ?

I think Cousins is a lot better. Plus I feel like we need a sure thing at QB. This fan base cannot wait for a top QB draft pick “pan out” plus the Jets aren’t exactly stellar at drafting and developing QB’s. Overpay for Cousins. Take the sure thing. So we can put this “we dont have a franchise QB” discussion to rest for at least 5 years or at least until he throws his first pick of the season.....

9 minutes ago, tfine said:

I think Cousins is a lot better. Plus I feel like we need a sure thing at QB. This fan base cannot wait for a top QB draft pick “pan out” plus the Jets aren’t exactly stellar at drafting and developing QB’s. Overpay for Cousins. Take the sure thing. So we can put this “we dont have a franchise QB” discussion to rest for at least 5 years or at least until he throws his first pick of the season..... emoji6.png

The Jaguars are built like the 2009-10 Jets-strong defense, OL, run game.  They don’t need or want a high priced QB. 

A team that put all of its money into a QB has to have that QB carry the team.  That is the path for many teams, and to some extent those teams have no choice.  But the Jaguars had the choice and they took it.

Look for the Jaguars to draft a Qb at the bottom of the 1st round to try and knock Bortles out long term.  Falk, Rudolph, etc.  There are other good teams that will look to do the same in the 1st round.  That should mean that the Jets should be able to get some good talent/starters in the second round.  DON’T TRADE THOSE PICKS.  But it also means that it is unlikely there are any decent QBs available when the Jets pick in the second round.

If the Jets sign Cousins, I don’t think this is the year they use 4th round and above picks for a QB.  Should build OL and other positions/depth.  Use what we have as backup.   Given their cap surplus, they may be able to afford a veteran backup, but that could put them at like $35mm for a QB, which is a lot of money.

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

my guess is they draft a qb so if bortles sucks they have a very cheap option in a year or two who probably isn't much worse or any worse than bortles and the cap money is gone.  they knew they weren't going to get cousins and figured the continuity was better than bringing in someone like bridgewater or mccarron. 

Bringing in someone like Bridgewater for $7 mil would be pretty slick.

22 minutes ago, tfine said:

I think Cousins is a lot better. Plus I feel like we need a sure thing at QB. This fan base cannot wait for a top QB draft pick “pan out” plus the Jets aren’t exactly stellar at drafting and developing QB’s. Overpay for Cousins. Take the sure thing. So we can put this “we dont have a franchise QB” discussion to rest for at least 5 years or at least until he throws his first pick of the season..... emoji6.png

I like Kurt Cousins from when he was a junior at Michigan St. I've been mildly disappointed with what the Redskins have done since he became the starter. I expected better team results. 

The Jaguars are built like the 2009-10 Jets-strong defense, OL, run game.  They don’t need or want a high priced QB. 
A team that put all of its money into a QB has to have that QB carry the team.  That is the path for many teams, and to some extent those teams have no choice.  But the Jaguars had the choice and they took it.
Look for the Jaguars to draft a Qb at the bottom of the 1st round to try and knock Bortles out long term.  Falk, Rudolph, etc.  There are other good teams that will look to do the same in the 1st round.  That should mean that the Jets should be able to get some good talent/starters in the second round.  DON’T TRADE THOSE PICKS.  But it also means that it is unlikely there are any decent QBs available when the Jets pick in the second round.
If the Jets sign Cousins, I don’t think this is the year they use 4th round and above picks for a QB.  Should build OL and other positions/depth.  Use what we have as backup.   Given their cap surplus, they may be able to afford a veteran backup, but that could put them at like $35mm for a QB, which is a lot of money.

When you’ve been starved for a QB for so long like the Jets your going to overpay. Either with money or with draft picks to move up plain and simple. Sign Cousins, draft Barkley/OL 90 percent of the draft should be offense. Unless and edge rusher or Corner fall in our lap.

Archived