If we could only sign one O-lineman and draft one O-lineman .. which would it be?

Patriot Killa

Mark which one you prefer.  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which O-lineman would you choose?

• Andrew Norwell, G / James Daniels, C
    • Weston Richberg, C / Will Hernandez, G
    • Ryan Jensen, C / Mike McGlinchey, T
    • Ja’Wuan James, T / Quinton Nelson, G
    • Chris Hubbard, T / Isaiah Wynn, G
    • Different combination.( please explain.)

Which O-lineman combination do you believe would be the most effective and long term solution? Do you feel a different combination would do better than the ones listed? Please explain below.

West Coast offensive lineman require guys who can play althetic enough to pull and swing. Guys who can read and adjust to blocking assignments instead of focusing on one particular assignment. Nelson and McGlinchey obviously have the advantage in that department being that they came from a west coast based scheme. Often they did what was asked out of a WCO in a elite manner against college competition. Does Norwell and Jensen fit that scheme? What Draftees have the potential to be stars in this system? What FA’s have the potential to Star in this system? Are there any off the radar OL who can make a career here? Do you have a dream starting line up at offensive line?

Draft:

OT Brian O'Neill Pittsburgh (second round)

Sign:

OG/C Zach Fulton Chiefs

I'd also like to draft or sign another interior lineman, but these two at least give us flexibility next year.  From what I've read, O'Neill will need a year to develop but he's an athletic zone-blocking tackle that will fit our scheme. 

Fulton can play Center or Guard and won't be cheap but won't break the bank; he's started 46 games since being drafted four years ago - he's the sixth man of the Chiefs offensive line, filling in whenever a guard or center is injured.  We could use him to replace Carpenter or become our new center, whatever the situation dictates.  

The best part of these two is, to me at least, you can draft Nelson @ guard if Barkley, Chubb & the QB's are gone by 6 and/or you can still draft a C in round two if James Daniels of Iowa or Billy Price of Ohio State fall.  

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Sign norwell draft, which ever ot is there for us in the 2nd round.

Let’s say Brian O’Neil and Connor Williams are sitting in the 2nd when we pick. Who do you go for? O’Neil is a strong as a brick house and has good upside but Williams might have better upside and played higher competition..yet he’s quite injury prone.

10 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

If I worried about what a 50 year old man said on a sports forum, I would revoke my own dignity.

50 is not old in my world anyway I'm 54 I see younger twerps who look and act like they 80. 

Old Guys Rule! 

I voted for the 2 guys I think can improve this OL immediately. 

10 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Norwell and Nelson bc they're the two best players available. Draft Price in the second round. I'm an "Elite OL" wanting whore.

That would be ridiculously intelligent which is why there’s not a bat ? out of Hell chance of it happening. And if Mac was really really smart he’d grab Lauletta with his 2nd second rounder. 

I don’t think the Jets can count on either Price or Daniels being available in the second round.  I am much more comfortable nailing down the center in FA.’/‘

Then it comes down to how the Jets have scouted the other players-particularly Minkah.  

If they do sign Cousins, there is the potential to draft Nelson at 6.  Yes, a guard, but one who can not only set the tone of the entire OL, but also one that would be cheaper than Norwell.   It would not be crazy to me to draft Nelson at 6, but not if Chubb or Barkley are there, and not if you think Minkah can play CB1.  

The Jets can basically nail down 2/5 of their OL but acquiring Jensen and Nelson or Norwell.  Carpenter could be a flop in a zone blocking scheme.  A la the Patriots, they should part ways with him now before things go South.  A T in the second is arguably a better investment than a RB..  Maybe they bring Chris Ivory back. 

If the Jets sign Cousins, trading down in the first could make a lot of sense.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

I don’t think the Jets can count on either Price or Daniels being available in the second round.  I am much more comfortable nailing down the center in FA.’/‘

Then it comes down to how the Jets have scouted the other players-particularly Minkah.  

If they do not sign Cousins, there is the potential to draft Nelson at 6.  Yes, a guard, but one who can not only set the tone of the entire OL, but also one that would be cheaper than Norwell.   It would not be crazy to me to draft Nelson at 6, but not if Chubb or Barkley are there, and not if you think Minkah can play CB1.  

The Jets can basically nail down 2/5 of their OL but acquiring Jensen and Nelson or Norwell.  Carpenter could be a flop in a zone blocking scheme.  A la the Patriots, they should part ways with him now before things go South.  A T in the second is arguably a better investment than a RB..  Maybe they bring Chris Ivory back. 

If the Jets sign Cousins, trading down in the first could make a lot of sense.

What Tackle in your opinion is worth a second round pick? Would you feel it would be a reach to grab a Tackle in the second if you did want to take one early but didn’t necessarily fall in a love with any particular Tackle prospect that is available?

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

What Tackle in your opinion is worth a second round pick? Would you feel it would be a reach to grab a Tackle in the second if you did want to take one early but didn’t necessarily fall in a love with any particular Tackle prospect that is available?

Like Robinson last year, it is possible that a top tackle falls to the top of the second round.  Possibly McGlinchey because he like Robinson is not a fluid athlete.  Maybe O’Neil at the end of the second round. 

I could see the Centers and QBs going the first, which means someone has to drop into the second round.

But as we have discussed, Mac has to reach for players at the value positions, and at least LT, and now possibly RT, is one of them.  

A 2019 without Winters or Beachum could be an ok thing. 

Just now, varjet said:

Like Robinson last year, it is possible that a top tackle falls to the top of the second round.  Possibly McGlinchey because he like Robinson is not a fluid athlete.  May O’Neil at the end of the second round. 

I could see the Centers and QBs going the first, which means someone has to drop into the second round.

But as we have discussed, Mac has to reach for players at the value positions, and at least LT, and now possibly RT, is one of them.  

A 2019 without Winters or Beachum could be an ok thing. 

Agreed. How do you feel about Alex Kappa? Low competition but possibly the strongest LT in the draft with decent - good footwork. He seems to have the same strengths as O’Neil but will be available later on due to competition level.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Let’s say Brian O’Neil and Connor Williams are sitting in the 2nd when we pick. Who do you go for? O’Neil is a strong as a brick house and has good upside but Williams might have better upside and played higher competition..yet he’s quite injury prone.

I think the combine will reveal some necessary information about Williams; health, strength, football IQ.

He could easily be a top sixteen pick if it all checks out.  Or he could end up as a second day guard prospect.  

Combine is going to determine a lot for Connor Williams, whereas I feel for O’Neill the combine is more of what it is for most players - a confirmation, kicking of the tires. 

TLDR; I want to wait till post combine to see what to make of Connor Williams, his draft position is very fluid right now.  O’Neill is a day two guy that could sneak into day one with a good combine or because a team is desperate for tackles. 

2 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Which O-lineman combination do you believe would be the most effective and long term solution? Do you feel a different combination would do better than the ones listed? Please explain below.

West Coast offensive lineman require guys who can play althetic enough to pull and swing. Guys who can read and adjust to blocking assignments instead of focusing on one particular assignment. Nelson and McGlinchey obviously have the advantage in that department being that they came from a west coast based scheme. Often they did what was asked out of a WCO in a elite manner against college competition. Does Norwell and Jensen fit that scheme? What Draftees have the potential to be stars in this system? What FA’s have the potential to Star in this system? Are there any off the radar OL who can make a career here? Do you have a dream starting line up at offensive line?

No more Kirk Cousins threads!??

2 hours ago, HessStation said:

Norwell and Nelson bc they're the two best players available. Draft Price in the second round. I'm an "Elite OL" wanting whore.

That would be amazing. If they only signed Norwell in free agency & drafted Nelson & Price/Daniels, they could focus on CB & then have a sh*tload of money left for the 2nd wave of free agency where they can really get some deals. Nelson-Price or Daniels-Stud RB- OLB is what I'm looking for in our 1st picks. That would allow them to frontload Cousins contract & roll a nice chunk of money over to 2019. 

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

the jets would be lucky.if these two fell to them in the second round.

5 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Sorry for the late reply.

I still have some analysis to do on the tackles.  When I think of reaching, I think more in terms of picking someone early in a round who could be projected to go later in that round.  I would not necessarily reach much more deeper than that.  I do like the look and sound of O’Neil.  I would be down on any lineman not known to be physical, or that has an injury history.  

For the Jets in Round 2, they could be looking at needs at RB, EDGE, CB, WR, TE and T.  The tackles last year were actually quasi-functional-the middle was not.  I think this year is the year that LG and C get straightened out, and the Jets should be opportunistic for T.  We own Beachum, and he was the best lineman last year.  We own Winters, but hopefully he is healthier this year.  Both can be cut in 2019. Shell could be upgraded and made into depth if necessary.  

Archived