ESPN Denver Radio: Vikings in drivers seat for Cousins

bitonti

8 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Blah Blah Blah, some bobo in Denver making conclusions without any more facts then any of us have

1. we dont know if the Vikings want Cousins

2. we dont know if the Vikings are willing to spend money Cousins

3. we dont know if he wants to go live in Minn vs NY (currently in DC)

etc... there are so many factors...

esp funny how all the chicken little jets fans are jumping on this...yawn

You're right, but this is such a miserable time of year that we're willing to jump on any tidbit of news.  I fully admit it.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, long suffering jets fan said:

You're right, but this is such a miserable time of year that we're willing to jump on any tidbit of news.  I fully admit it.

thank you for being honest lol...realistically what do we know today that we didnt yesterday? that Minnesota isnt paying 23 million for Keenum? i could have told you that!!

51 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I dunno why Mayfield will be a tough sell. What's the real risk here? Our last few first round picks haven't moved the earth beneath our feet. Is this really that high risk? 

What's the state of mind in ol' jet town at the moment? As much as i've been a total Dick about Cousins, I still want him to be an option. I can't fathom a future where we don't have him OR any of the top 3 QBs... I might finally get out my rope and stool. 

I agree with you about Mayfield homie, but it's probably gonna be Allen who's left to us.  

If he goes to Minnesota there are going to be a ton of stomachs dropping at Florham Park, let's just say that.  It's the absolute worst case scenario given that Denver will still need a QB.

11 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Blah Blah Blah, some bobo in Denver making conclusions without any more facts then any of us have

No, no. You’re totally right. Cousins definitely wants to come here and play for the Jets over the Vikings. 

here is something to consider. After 2018 season the vikings have the following players to extend. will Cousins take a deal that has a lower per season average so they can re-sign these guys?

CB, Trae Waynes – Heading into the 2017 season, it was unclear whether the Vikings would pick up Waynes’ fifth-year option. But after a strong year, it would be surprising if they didn’t lock him in for at least the 2019 season. However, the Vikings may look to go long-term with Waynes since the cost of a fifth-year option for a cornerback carries a cap hit in the range of $14 million.

WR, Stefon Diggs – While Diggs’ fantasy stats weren’t as impressive as other top wide receivers, a closer investigation will find he was one of the league’s best. Pro Football Focus ranked him ninth and he led the NFL in completion percentage on contested catches. Assuming the Vikings have no long-term questions about the groin injuries that have slowed him at times over the last two years, he’s a likely candidate for a long-term extension. It would make the most sense for the Vikings to lock him up this offseason rather than waiting until the final hour. A conservative estimate of Diggs’ expected contract requirements could have the Vikings’ receiver in the range of $10 million per year. Packers receiver Devante Adams signed a deal this year worth $14.5 million average annual value.

LB, Anthony Barr – Next season Barr will play on his fifth-year option, carrying a cap hit of $12.3 million. After a bounce-back 2017 season, the former first-round pick could be in line for a long-term deal, assuming the Vikings believe that 2017 was the norm rather than the exception. Barr only picked up one sack, but had a strong year in coverage as the Vikings ranked among the best defenses in the NFL against opposing running backs and tight ends. He set a career high in stuffed runs with eight. There are only nine inside linebackers who make more than $5 million per season and three who clear $10 million per year.

LB, Eric Kendricks – Kendricks got off to a slow start in 2017, but got stronger as the season went along, ranking in the top 20 by PFF metrics in coverage. His cover skills are especially valuable in a league where many teams throw to running backs out of the backfield. Kendricks also brings durability and leadership to the Vikings’ defense. The Rams may have set the market for Barr and Kendricks with contracts totaling near $20 million per year for linebackers Mark Barron and Alex Ogletree.

DE, Danielle Hunter – The Vikings’ former third-round pick picked up 5.5 fewer sacks this season than in 2016, but he was still effective, ranking in the top 20 in QB pressures by Football Outsiders metrics and scored higher ratings from Pro Football Focus this year than in ‘16. Edge rushers are expensive. New York’s Olivier Vernon has an AAV of $17 million and more than 20 edge rushers make more than $5 million.

Just now, shuler82 said:

No, no. You’re totally right. Cousins definitely wants to come here and play for the Jets over the Vikings. 

ok kirk cousins is not payton manning...if u think there is a line out the door to give him 30 million, you are mistaken. dont believe everything the media tells you. a lot of things have to come together for a guy to end up somewhere with a 25-30 mil dollar paycheck. for example, would the players association even let Cousins take a lot less and leave money on the table? 

17 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Not the worst news. There will be 3 other decent QB hitting the FA if Cousins goes to Minny. 

- Case "literally Matt Flynn" Keenum

- Teddy "More gloves than knees" Bridgewater

- Sam "Arthritis Andy" Bradford.

Enticing.

13 minutes ago, Pcola said:

When you say “3 other decent QBs,” are you referring to Bridgewater - a guy who was a bottom 10 QB when he was healthy, Bradford - a guy that was cleared to play this year but due to inflammation in his knees, went on IR and has had three different teams bail on him, and Keenum- a one hit wonder?  

NONE OF THESE GUYS ARE A VIABLE OPTION FOR THE JETS.  There is a zero success rate if any of these guys come here.  

Who bailed on Bradford, he was traded for a second round pick once and a first round pick another time.  I agree he has a substantial injury history, but he was a first overall pick and is a good QB.  If Cousins doesn't sign with us it's going to come down to McCown, Bridgewater, or Bradford and a QB in the draft. 

7 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I kind of agree, but the thing I'm most disappointed about is the 2 holes we would have filled if we got Cousins in free agency. 

Nelson, Chubb, or Barkley would have been nice to have.  Now we have to settle for second rounders to fill those slots. 

Let's face it, Cousins is a mid-westerner and he wants to go back to what's familiar to him.

I still see top tier OL/LB & RB's in the 2nd rd... we can still pick a Top player @ those positions in the 2nd rd... we have Two of those.

Just now, jetsons said:

I still see top tier OL/LB & RB's in the 2nd rd... we can still pick a Top player @ those positions in the 2nd rd... we have Two of those.

You're right, there are excellent players in the 2nd round, but it would have been great to have a solid experienced QB for a change and a top 6 pick to go along with those second rounders. 

Just now, Mogglez said:

Josh Allen is certainly sounding right at this point.

Why settle? Are they not willing to be aggressive to move up? I know it takes two but I would have to think someone would look to trade down.

I get Denver could trade up too but it’s not like we’re far behind them that we can’t entice a team with a better offer. 

7 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

- Case "literally Matt Flynn" Keenum

- Teddy "More gloves than knees" Bridgewater

- Sam "Arthritis Andy" Bradford.

Enticing.

14 minutes ago, Pcola said:

When you say “3 other decent QBs,” are you referring to Bridgewater - a guy who was a bottom 10 QB when he was healthy, Bradford - a guy that was cleared to play this year but due to inflammation in his knees, went on IR and has had three different teams bail on him, and Keenum- a one hit wonder?  

NONE OF THESE GUYS ARE A VIABLE OPTION FOR THE JETS.  There is a zero success rate if any of these guys come here.  

Or we can stay with a rookie and Hack. 

I’d sign one of those 3 to a mid tier contract plus draft a first round rookie

5 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Who bailed on Bradford, he was traded for a second round pick once and a first round pick another.  I agree he has a substantial injury history, but he was a first overall pick and is a good QB.  If Cousins doesn't sign with us it's going to come down to McCown, Bridgewater, or Bradford and a QB in the draft. 

Teams who have given up on Sam Bradford: Rams, Eagles, Vikings

If you have a FQB, you don’t trade him.  Not for a 2nd rd pick.  Not for a mid 1st.  

Do you think Philly or GB would give up their guys for the top pick in any draft?  Probably not.

If we don’t get Cousins, the only way Macc survives is if he gets Rosen or Darnold.  If he can’t get one of those three guys, he needs to go.  Period.  

1 hour ago, Paradis said:

I dunno why Mayfield will be a tough sell. What's the real risk here? Our last few first round picks haven't moved the earth beneath our feet. Is this really that high risk? 

What's the state of mind in ol' jet town at the moment? As much as i've been a total Dick about Cousins, I still want him to be an option. I can't fathom a future where we don't have him OR any of the top 3 QBs... I might finally get out my rope and stool. 

Well we could potentially miss out on the next Will-Linebacker-In-A-Tampa-2-Defense-But-Play-Him-At-Middle-Linebacker-In-A-3-4-Defense"  type player.

31 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I agree with you about Mayfield homie, but it's probably gonna be Allen who's left to us.  

If he goes to Minnesota there are going to be a ton of stomachs dropping at Florham Park, let's just say that.  It's the absolute worst case scenario given that Denver will still need a QB.

That situation sucks, but honestly, so what. Man the fck up and deal with it - i say.

IND and CLE can be bought.

Debateably NYG too.

Might be expensive, but apparently that isn't a problem here these days. Look at this way, Macc's fcking fired if he doesn't get someone in house. So who cares. "hi, other NY team? Yea, hows about 2 first, 2 seconds. Sh*t, here's next year's 3rd.

Like stop being a b*tch about it, and just get it done, Jets. PHI did...  Not doing anything useful with those picks anyway. 

Don't be a GM, Macc. If you can't figure this out, then just fck off and get another job. I don't want to hear about how this was an impossible situation. No. It isn't... It really isn't. Pay the teams what they want and get us a QB. No excuses. 

4 minutes ago, j4jets said:

Or we can stay with a rookie and Hack. 

I’d sign one of those 3 to a mid tier contract plus draft a first round rookie

If our goal is to be a playoff team, then we guaranteeing another few years of failure.  

Mid we can’t get Cousins, Rosen, or Darnold then just resign McCown and draft Falk or Lauletta.  Worst case, we finally suck enough to get our QB at the top of the draft next year and Flak/Lauletta can serve as the back up.

Best case scenario, Falk or Lauletta turn into Cousins their rookie year.

22 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Josh Allen is certainly sounding right at this point.

Jesus. I can't. Best of luck to Allen, but not here. Not going to endure that one, forget it. 

That's the one. People ask me what it would it take to give up - THAT. It would be cherry on top. I'll withdraw to college viewing full time. 

18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I’d imagine there will be a lot of updating of resumes if and when Cousins signs elsewhere. I don’t see where else they can go to find eight wins.

Part of me really hopes cousins signs elsewhere. I wouldnt be super upset.

we need to draft a qb then. If i were guaranteed mayfield at 6, id be ecstatic. Then  the 2 second rounders on OL and another offensive need.

But trading all that to move up a few is kind of counterproductive. Perhaps stay put at 6, grab best qb on the board and build on.

problem is, bowles has to play him and if mccown is on this roster he wont. Mac has to not sign mccown and force bowles hand

Just now, Paradis said:

Jesus. I can't. Best of luck to Allen, but not here. Not going to endure that one, forget it. 

That's the one. People ask me what it would it take - THAT. It would be cherry on top. I'll withdraw to college viewing full time. 

What would be worse: Allen or this:

1. Browns: Darnold

2. Giants: Rosen

3. Colts: Barkley

4. Browns: Chubb

5. Broncos: Allen

6. Jets: Minkah Fitzpatrick

35 minutes ago, k-met57 said:

Keep living the dream buddy, keep living the dream. 

You're gonna be the guy with fcking jelly beans at his table, sorting out the colors talking to yourself. 

37 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Why???  Denver Will Definitely draft Rosen if he's there... I don't see them going after Mayfield, to me, for Elway it's Rosen or Darnold no one else after that... at least for his #1 pick...  that will leave Mayfield for us...  which would Be PERFECT.

Got no problem with Mayfield and if we can get him at #6 great.  But if Rosen, Darnold are gone and Elway does indeed draft Mayfield what then. I'm just saying we need to strongly consider taking control of the situation rather than having the situation play out and take control of us.

2 minutes ago, Paradis said:

That situation sucks, but honestly, so what. Man the fck up and deal with it - i say.

IND and CLE can be bought. Debateably NYG too. Might be expensive, but apparently that isn't a problem here these days. Look at this way, Macc's fcking fired if he doesn't get someone in house. So who cares. "hi, other NY team? Yea, hows about 2 first, 2 seconds. Sh*t, here's next year's 3rd.

Like stop being a b*tch about it, and just get it done. PHI did...  We're not doing anything useful with those picks anyway. 

Don't be a GM, Macc. If you can figure this out, then just fck off and get another job. I don't want to hear about how this was an impossible situation. No... it fcking isn't. Pay the teams ahead of us what they want and get us a QB. No excuses. 

I agree. Considering the history of the Jets at QB and the lack of a regular franchise at the position, IMO Mac has total mandate to pay over the odds to get one and the fan base will gladly wear it.

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Keep living the dream buddy, keep living the dream. 

You're gonna be the guy with fcking jelly beans at his table, sorting out the colors talking to yourself. 

aaannnddddd here is king chicken little on cue. you should be a browns fan, they are going to be drafting in the top 10 for the rest of time...you'll get all that pretend GM action you love so much.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

Plan B is trade up/draft Rosen/Darnold.

Plan C is draft Allen/Mayfield at 6 because the chances of the other guys falling is slim to none.  

Barring something drastic I'd expect Jets fans to get very resigned to the idea of Allen or Mayfield being the pick.

I'm starting to get back onto Plan B again. Only because I'm starting to believe it's actually possible to get 1 of them 

I hope no one's feeling sorry/conflicted or some twisted way - sympathizing for Macc on this one.

The son of a b*tch put himself in this situation. Yes, some of it was bad luck, and what not, there's parts of his tenure i like(d).. but he dug himself into this QB hole like John Holmes drilling for a pay check. He's gotta own it and do something. 

http://1043thefan.com/166526/lammey-broncos-vikings-cousins/
The Broncos are reportedly 'riding shotgun' for Cousin's services 
Continuing the metaphor, where do we all think are the Jets sitting? 

Would Cousins want to go to Denver
and play in the Elway/Manning shadow to be compared to Jake Plummer the first time he screws up? Not sure.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, Paradis said:

There's no version of this where you accept the possibility of defeat - until its penis slaps you in the face on Mar 14th.

Go be obtuse somewhere else. 

sounds like a Saturday night at your house...ill pass.

go cluck elsewhere chicken little

If we end up with Josh Allen, I can’t wait for Jet fans and our FO to adopt the “trust the process” motto.

The problem is instead of having Embiid, we’ve got Anthony Bennett.  Three years of “it’s not his fault, there’s no weapons” and “Brady couldn’t play behind that line.”

Archived