ESPN Denver Radio: Vikings in drivers seat for Cousins

bitonti

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

Teams who have given up on Sam Bradford: Rams, Eagles, Vikings

If you have a FQB, you don’t trade him.  Not for a 2nd rd pick.  Not for a mid 1st.  

Do you think Philly or GB would give up their guys for the top pick in any draft?  Probably not.

If we don’t get Cousins, the only way Macc survives is if he gets Rosen or Darnold.  If he can’t get one of those three guys, he needs to go.  Period.  

Exactly - if you have a FQB you don't trade him. That's why I don't want Cousins. If he was a great QB he wouldn't be going anywhere. I hope Cousins ends up in Denver, but if he goes to Minny I will breathe a sigh of relief. I want to build a winner, and throwing a ton of money at a pretty good QB doesn't do it for me. Option A was always trade up to 3 with the Colts to get our guy.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, King P said:

I'm starting to get back onto Plan B again. Only because I'm starting to believe it's actually possible to get 1 of them 

Mayock now has Josh Allen as his #2 rated QB. Josh Allen could very well be the best QB in the draft. I would not be upset with this pick at all. Much more upside than Cousins IMO. All the people trashing Allen could be eating crow in a couple of years.

32 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

At the end of the day.. I don't want anyone who doesn't want to be here..

PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, basically, you only want people who want the most money.  Because, other than that, what is the appeal for Cousins?

8 minutes ago, gEYno said:

So, basically, you only want people who want the most money.  Because, other than that, what is the appeal for the Cousins?

I was referring about Cousins if he doesn't want to be here don't come because winning here is tough and you have to be tough to get it done.

Why come here?

If you win here, you are bigger than life, your opportunities are bigger, and your star shines forever just ask my old client NBA Great Walt Frazier....

43 minutes ago, gEYno said:

So, as per your friend, the Jets do not care about a guys ability to complete passes?  Do the Jets seriously not learn anything?

And Dan Marino never completed 60% of his passes in college in any of the four years. Here are his senior year stats:

Pitt Ind   QB 12 221 378 58.5 2432 6.4 4.6 17 23 115.2

He had 17 TDs and 23 INTs and 58.5% completion percentage. 

How did he end up playing in the pros? One of the best QBs to ever throw a football. His arm talent was why he was still drafted in the first round and why Josh Allen will be drafted high in the first.

I would rather go with a kid with huge talent than with a pro (Cousins) that is 4-19 against teams with a winning record. SMH that people want to throw 30 million at a guy with that kind of a record.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I was referring about Cousins if he doesn't want to be here don't come because winning here is tough and you have to be tough to get it done.

Why come here?

If you win here, you are bigger than life, your opportunities are bigger, and your star shines for ever just ask my old client NBA Great Walt Frazier....

Your old client NBA great Walt Frazier was from a different era.  Now, you don't need to come to NY to be larger than life.  The biggest NFL celebrity played in Indianapolis.  The biggest NBA celebrity plays in Cleveland.  That's no longer relevant.

2 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

And Dan Marino never completed 60% of his passes in college in any of the four years. Here are his senior year stats:

Pitt Ind   QB 12 221 378 58.5 2432 6.4 4.6 17 23 115.2

He had 17 TDs and 23 INTs and 58.5% completion percentage. 

How did he end up playing in the pros? One of the best QBs to ever throw a football. His arm talent was why he was still drafted in the first round and why Josh Allen will be drafted high in the first.

I would rather go with a kid with huge talent than with a pro (Cousins) that is 4-19 against teams with a winning record. SMH that people want to throw 30 million at a guy with that kind of a record.

Well, the good news is that literally nothing has changed in the NFL since 1983, so Dan Marino's college career remains relevant.

26 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Mayock now has Josh Allen as his #2 rated QB. Josh Allen could very well be the best QB in the draft. I would not be upset with this pick at all. Much more upside than Cousins IMO. All the people trashing Allen could be eating crow in a couple of years.

Interestingly, Mayock had Kizer as his number 1 QB at this point last year.  

26 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

Exactly - if you have a FQB you don't trade him. That's why I don't want Cousins. If he was a great QB he wouldn't be going anywhere. I hope Cousins ends up in Denver, but if he goes to Minny I will breathe a sigh of relief. I want to build a winner, and throwing a ton of money at a pretty good QB doesn't do it for me. Option A was always trade up to 3 with the Colts to get our guy.

The Cousins /Washington issues have more to do with their ownerships obsession with RGIII than anything Cousins has or hasn’t done. I think the reason for the Jets infatuation with Cousins has more do with the fact that come draft day, our only option could be Josh Allen.

For all of Cousins shortcomings, he is a top 10 QB.  The Jets will be a lot more successful with Cousins and let’s say Saquon Barkley then drafting Josh Allen and wasting the next three seasons watching him struggle until Woody comes home and finally cleans house.

30 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

For all of the Allen struggles, no one believes he can come into the NFL and be good.  If he is to make it, he needs to come in and sit behind a vet for a couple of seasons.  Why on Earth would anyone think the Jets would be able to do that?  

For this to happen, McCown is going to have to start the next two seasons.  Good luck with empty stadiums in Oct.  And when the FO & CS have to throw him to the wolves, what makes you think it will turn out any better than what happens to Geno Smith?

Its either Cousins, Darnold, or Rosen.  Anything else and Macc needs to be fired before the end of the first round of this draft.

1 hour ago, Gangrene said:

It's almost illogical but I think Allen goes top five. I can live with him proving us all wrong and being an all pro with the Giants or Cleveland, I can't live with him being a bust with the Jets.

In no particularly order, I think the top five players picked are Allen, Barkley, Chubb, Darnold and Rosen. The Jets will have an opportunity to draft Mayfield with the sixth pick or trade up from the second round for Jackson. Do I think they will have the hutzpah to draft Mayfield or Jackson ? No.

Damn, this is fun.

If it goes that way, macganan better bloody well trade up with indy to get darnold.

3 hours ago, Pcola said:

When you say “3 other decent QBs,” are you referring to Bridgewater - a guy who was a bottom 10 QB when he was healthy, Bradford - a guy that was cleared to play this year but due to inflammation in his knees, went on IR and has had three different teams bail on him, and Keenum- a one hit wonder?  

NONE OF THESE GUYS ARE A VIABLE OPTION FOR THE JETS.  There is a zero success rate if any of these guys come here.  

So we'll stay with McCown for starters and try to develop another rookie.

5 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

It's not a tough sell for the fan base.  It's tough for mccagnan to accept that his job will depend on him.  

If per chance they land KC by overpaying and they don't make the playoffs or first round playoff loss...how hot do you think his seat would be?

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

It's all over the news today. Rapsheet just dropping bombs about both sides willing and wanting to make it work. At this point, only the most disillusion of Jets fans still think we can compete with what Minny has on the table. Defense. Running game. Those things called Wide Receivers. Coaches. big breasted hairy Viking broads... we're not even in the game.  

So now what, can we finally get back to Mayfield vs trading up for Rosen?

At this point the Jets are not as talented as the Vikings. However no one has a clue where Cousins will end up. It’s all opinions. It’s only an assumption that Cousins will pick the most talented team. I frankly think he is going to take the best financial offer combined with quality of life location for his family. He isn’t a 38 year old QB who is picking a destination to win a Super Bowl before he retires ala Peyton Manning. He is a 29 year old top flight QB in a unique situation of being in the prime of his career picking a team for the long haul.

11 hours ago, gEYno said:

Your old client NBA great Walt Frazier was from a different era.  Now, you don't need to come to NY to be larger than life.  The biggest NFL celebrity played in Indianapolis.  The biggest NBA celebrity plays in Cleveland.  That's no longer relevant.

I hear you but my essential point is players in the NY market who just come here for the $$$$ alone never really have success.  It is tough to play here and you have to want to be here and the money is never enough alone........

3 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I hear you but my essential point is players in the NY market who just come here for the $$$$ alone never really have success.  It is tough to play here and you have to want to be here and the money is never enough alone........

Agreed.  My point is the current NY Jets have nothing attractive about them for Kirk Cousins.  We have a bad offensive line, no running game, our only offensive playmaker just threatened to "nut" in a cop's wife's eye, and our defense is terrible too.

Disappointing news.  

NFL Satellite Radio this morning was reporting that all three Vikings QB's will be allowed to depart in Free Agency.  None will even attempt to be resigned.  Which appears to support the Vikings are making a huge push for Cousins and may in fact already have a deal in principle in place.

Which leaves the Jets as also-ran once again, looking at a meager selection of generally poor performing or limited success FA QB's (I wouldn't sign a one of them tbqh) and a motley assortment of very questionable kids in the draft, of which the top 3 are likely to be gone before we pick or cost us our entire draft to trade up for.

Now where we want to be, but such is life.  With Cousins gone, I'll hope we can stand pat and get Mayfield.  

I expect, one way or the other, to be very disappointed after this offseason/draft with the Jets QB roster. 

McCown/Allen/Hack is a real possibility now.

10 hours ago, peebag said:

If per chance they land KC by overpaying and they don't make the playoffs or first round playoff loss...how hot do you think his seat would be?

I think they will survive a near miss or  a playoff one and out. Chris Johnson applauded 3-3 last year. Year one of rebuild and stuff. 

Blessing in disguise.  We can use that money to build a deep strong young team - we just gotta hope we hit on the QB.

And to those who say Kirk is in this for the money so will simply go to the highest bidder....I highly doubt it.  All these competive guys want to win.  If the Vikes offer him 5 million less then the Jets over the first three years of the K, you think he's going to turn that down?  

His chances of success with the Vikes is so much greater then with the Jets....which puts him in an even better position to strike in rich on the contract after this one.

1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Agreed.  My point is the current NY Jets have nothing attractive about them for Kirk Cousins.  We have a bad offensive line, no running game, our only offensive playmaker just threatened to "nut" in a cop's wife's eye, and our defense is terrible too.

mccagnan and bowles cleaned house to try to change the culture of this team and they've done a good job of that.  but what they still haven't figured out is that they have to change the perception that this team does not care a lick about offense.  i can imagine cousins sitting with mccagnan at the combine, asking him how he can ensure his commitment to building an offense when the franchise hasn't drafted an offensive player in the first round in a decade.  the harsh reality for mccagnan will be, he is the guy who has to change the reputation of this team.  he's got to draft a qb in the first round and then turn around and draft a weapon in the 2nd.  he has to show the league that he's serious about scoring points before any real offensive player will come here.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Disappointing news.  

NFL Satellite Radio this morning was reporting that all three Vikings QB's will be allowed to depart in Free Agency.  None will even attempt to be resigned.  Which appears to support the Vikings are making a huge push for Cousins and may in fact already have a deal in principle in place.

Which leaves the Jets as also-ran once again, looking at a meager selection of generally poor performing or limited success FA QB's (I wouldn't sign a one of them tbqh) and a motley assortment of very questionable kids in the draft, of which the top 3 are likely to be gone before we pick or cost us our entire draft to trade up for.

Now where we want to be, but such is life.  With Cousins gone, I'll hope we can stand pat and get Mayfield.  

I expect, one way or the other, to be very disappointed after this offseason/draft with the Jets QB roster. 

McCown/Allen/Hack is a real possibility now.

it's not disappointing. it's hopefully the beginning of drafting offensive players before the 3rd round.

Archived