Darrell Bevell breaks down Mayfield

RESNewYork

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Yes, I do.  My take on Murrary was off, but I never claimed him to be anything but a better prospect than Kellen Clemens.  And I was wrong for the first time in my entire life. 

Modesty thy name is JIF. What I wanna know is why choosy mothers choose YOU.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

No.  I said Jameis would be the real deal.  And it was in response to you, bozo. lol  

Go back and read, here the link.  I also predicted Winston to go #1 overall.

Now bow down to your master. 

Lol...yeah we sure were talking about Winston. I guess i’ll bow.......for my convincing performance of being clueless! HAH.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

No matter what, Mayfield will probably be a wild ride to watch.  I've said it before I almost want to take him because the failure will be spectacular to watch and if he actually does hit...that dude will be so fun to root for because he's going to all FTW about it that he might be hated more than Tom Brady.

The problem for Mayfield is that even if he does "hit" he'll have a Matt Harvey Ceiling of getting early success, then get consumed by Manhattan celebrity nightlife and be a bust because of it.

1 hour ago, SMC said:

The problem for Mayfield is that even if he does "hit" he'll have a Matt Harvey Ceiling of getting early success, then get consumed by Manhattan celebrity nightlife and be a bust because of it.

You had to go Dark Knight on me? 

Jeez.  But probably true. 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

No matter what, Mayfield will probably be a wild ride to watch.  I've said it before I almost want to take him because the failure will be spectacular to watch and if he actually does hit...that dude will be so fun to root for because he's going to all FTW about it that he might be hated more than Tom Brady.

Ya

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Ya

Think like a Johnson.  Who cares if he wins?  If the Jets draft Mayfield and his Heisman, how many Mayfield jerseys get sold that week?  What is his press conference like?  How many Jets headbands can he sell?  How many new tickets get sold?

The fan base will be completely electrified.  He will be entertaining, one way or the other.  

1 minute ago, varjet said:

Think like a Johnson.  Who cares if he wins?  If the Jets draft Mayfield and his Heisman, how many Mayfield jerseys get sold that week?  What is his press conference like?  How many Jets headbands can he sell?  How many new tickets get sold?

The fan base will be completely electrified.  He will be entertaining, one way or the other.  

HELL YES 

14 minutes ago, varjet said:

Plus I just want my teams QB’s last name to be Mayfield. That’s just a cool ass name if you ask me.

16 minutes ago, varjet said:

Then there’s this: I think Mayfield has as good a chance to be a top tier QB five years from now as anyone in this draft. Rosen has a bunch of concussions and a dicey shoulder. Darnold seems like a poof. Allen? Please. Mayfield isn’t a better prospect than either of them, but he’s not any more of a risk, either.

7 hours ago, SMC said:

Harvey's career went off the rails when he got hurt the 2nd time.  It wasn't because of celebrity nightlife.

For at least 5 weeks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

As much as I want the Jets to select Baker Mayfield in the draft, my biggest concern is his accuracy?

He had BIG windows to throw through at Oklahoma. Lets be honest here, the defenses he faced were all a bunch of amateurs for the most part. Mayfield took advantage of those big windows at Oklahoma. I never really saw him hit his receivers in stride much? A lot of high throws that his receivers would go up and get. A lot of throws where you could obviously see if he had thrown the ball a few more feet to the right that play would have netted about 25 more yards.

That's my concern about Mayfield as an NFL player. Those BIG windows he's counting on will not be there in the NFL. He'd better be ready to reinvent himself because right now? If he were to step right on the field with what he has from the collegiate game? His game would be compared to the likes of Mark Sanchez. He's not NFL ready. There's no doubt about that.

However, He can learn and I get the feeling he has the confidence to learn very quickly. He has the kind of confidence needed to survive in NY.

1 hour ago, Jetscreen said:

As much as I want the Jets to select Baker Mayfield in the draft, my biggest concern is his accuracy?

He had BIG windows to throw through at Oklahoma. Lets be honest here, the defenses he faced were all a bunch of amateurs for the most part. Mayfield took advantage of those big windows at Oklahoma. I never really saw him hit his receivers in stride much? A lot of high throws that his receivers would go up and get. A lot of throws where you could obviously see if he had thrown the ball a few more feet to the right that play would have netted about 25 more yards.

That's my concern about Mayfield as an NFL player. Those BIG windows he's counting on will not be there in the NFL. He'd better be ready to reinvent himself because right now? If he were to step right on the field with what he has from the collegiate game? His game would be compared to the likes of Mark Sanchez. He's not NFL ready. There's no doubt about that.

However, He can learn and I get the feeling he has the confidence to learn very quickly. He has the kind of confidence needed to survive in NY.

In my opinion he is the second most ready guy to start day 1 after Rosen, and make NO mistake about it, unless he is drafted by the saints or GB, he is starting opening day.  

To your point, my concern isnt accuracy, because regardless of window size, hes accurate.  Its whether he can throw with anticipation, that is the most important thing for a QB that doesnt have a favre-esque arm.  Geno (and by God please dont think i see them as similar players) had similar stats, but didnt have a quick release, the on-field aptitude to process information quickly enough, or the ability to keep plays alive, even given what a good athlete he was because he had no feel for the game.  Sanchez was the same way - good athlete, good accuracy but absolutely no feel for the pocket orthe game itself which is why he is such a terrible pro.  Mayfield shows excellent pocket presence and the ability to be accurate when hes on the move, which is what i see is the difference

I personally think he would be a great fit for our offense using play action, rollouts and misdirection.  And for comparison sake, and I get it that Mahomes has a much better arm, but I see him as a similar player to Mahomes who has the necessary feel for the game which lets them keep the play alive by keeping their eyes downfield and throwing accurately on the run.

43 minutes ago, BCJet said:

In my opinion he is the second most ready guy to start day 1 after Rosen, and make NO mistake about it, unless he is drafted by the saints or GB, he is starting opening day.  

To your point, my concern isnt accuracy, because regardless of window size, hes accurate.  Its whether he can throw with anticipation, that is the most important thing for a QB that doesnt have a favre-esque arm.  Geno (and by God please dont think i see them as similar players) had similar stats, but didnt have a quick release, the on-field aptitude to process information quickly enough, or the ability to keep plays alive, even given what a good athlete he was because he had no feel for the game.  Sanchez was the same way - good athlete, good accuracy but absolutely no feel for the pocket orthe game itself which is why he is such a terrible pro.  Mayfield shows excellent pocket presence and the ability to be accurate when hes on the move, which is what i see is the difference

I personally think he would be a great fit for our offense using play action, rollouts and misdirection.  And for comparison sake, and I get it that Mahomes has a much better arm, but I see him as a similar player to Mahomes who has the necessary feel for the game which lets them keep the play alive by keeping their eyes downfield and throwing accurately on the run.

Lets hope you're right. He's not NFL ready but sometimes teams opt to have the kid learn on the job. Best case scenario, I could see him getting starts after like week 8? I'm convinced McCown will be back and he will not have as good a year as he had in 2017. He's 39 years old, father time will get after him sooner rather than later...

He is a perfect fit for the Dolphins offense. Gase wants his own QB and rumors are they are going to address that in the draft. I wouldn't be suprised to see the Fins try to make a move for him if he fell to 5. Depending on what the Broncos do. I will never put anything past Trader mike. 

Archived