Matt Forte Retires

Jet_Engine1

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Sure, thats what it means.  Stop, 12 Mil is nothing that would prevent anyone from drafting a RB. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/2016/average/running-back/

It would and did prevent this GM and others, plus I think you need a lesson in money vs guaranteed money. Few GMs lock the team into that $ and then go on to draft a RB in the first couple rounds. Not until it's later in those RBs' contracts when they can be cut free without eating guaranteed money.

Also you're looking at the wrong year (or they have it organized badly). Charles didn't get paid $9m nor did he count $9m in 2016. It was closer to half that. They're using a 2 year $18m extension for that, which he signed in 2014, but even they know that $ was spread over more than just 2 years, and was further done because his prior contract was so low in proportion to his production. That doesn't therefore mean he made or counted $9m in 2016. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So now it's the round, not that they couldn't draft one? 

Meanwhile 9 backs on their own made that money or more.  Math, yes. Selective and pointless

If you think drafting a RB in round 6, fully 2 drafts after inking them both, is addressing the position, you're not in wide company. Those picks are shots in the dark, not real investments in the position. Again, teams draft special teamers - kickers and kick returners - earlier than that.

9 backs on their own didn't. You don't understand the chart is all. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If you think drafting a RB in round 6, fully 2 drafts after inking them both, is addressing

the position, you're not in wide company. Those picks are shots in the dark, not real investments in the position. Again, teams draft special teamers - kickers and kick returners - earlier than that.

9 backs on their own didn't. You don't understand the chart is all. 

I don't understand that the 2 made 7 or so Mil and 9rbs on their own did?  The duo number is pointless, they didn't spend crippling money on the position no matter how many times you say they did.  It's your opinion, fine

2017 - a full year after signing them - the Jets' RB cap allocation was just over $10m (6th in NFL, so 2 teams shuffled their cap around after I last looked this up that spring). The Jets were still 4th in the NFL at 7.07% in terms of % of cap spent on the RB position. 

For this, we got Matt Forte and Bilal Powell. You are basically describing this as wisdom. 

So with that coming up a year after signing 3 veteran RBs, it's no wonder they didn't draft a RB at all in 2016, and only took a shot in the dark on a 6th rounder in 2017 to be their 3rd stringer. 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I don't understand that the 2 made 7 or so Mil and 9rbs on their own did?  The duo number is pointless, they didn't spend crippling money on the position no matter how many times you say they did.  It's your opinion, fine

There is no way the team was drafting a RB early in 2016, a month after guaranteeing 2 years to both Forte and Powell.

A year later - which they knew at the time of signing - their cap allocation would be north of $10m. They again didn't touch a RB because they were looking for a Khiry Robinson replacement, not a Matt Forte/Bilal Powell replacement (or hoping to get lucky). 

It has little to do with "crippling" -- though the Jets were hard up against the cap after signing those 2. It has to do with poor optics and - along with Hackenberg - admission of failure. 

I don't see what the concern was. This team lavishly rewards such failure. 

On 2/28/2018 at 1:24 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Building around Ryan Fitzpatrick, with the idea that the team would be a contender with him in the absence of 2015's impossible luck, was moronic. Either one of Forte or Powell I was ok with, for the reasons I outlined, but not both. You sign one of them and then you go to the draft for your other high-touch RB. It's a young man's position. If they were going to ink Powell anyway, then they could have stayed away from Forte (or vice versa). 

And to say "we did nothing moronic" when the 2 seasons that followed these and other moronic signings were both 5-win seasons, "nothing moronic" is a pretty hard argument to make.

They conservatively did 5-10 moronic moves for every 1 smart one. 

You don't understand, things are good now.  They are.

On 2/28/2018 at 1:37 PM, Jet Nut said:

What's moronic is the idea that we were building around Fitz and using that as the argument.  They didn't even know that they would get Fitz back at the time, did they?  

They needed two backs because Powell is like china, his history is he can't handle a bigger load, look at the season ending game.  Do no, a reliable 3rd down back on the team isn't moronic.  5 wins when the world predicted 1 isn't a defense either.

And speaking of handling bigger loads... this guy's taking macc's pretty good, huh?

Archived