Combine Results Thread

HawkeyeJet

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, afjetsfan said:

Josh Allen., damn after watching his footage.... this guy is going to be special.

Darnold not wanting to throw?  Red flag

Rosen, looked good

Lamar Jackson, didn't see anything bad, apparently experts thought his performance was subpar.

Mayfield: placement was ok, not great

Josh Allen is no Christian Hackenberg!

John Dorsey was interviewed a couple of months ago (prior to taking the Cleveland job) and he clearly said that he wouldn’t touch Rosen.  Short sighted and ignorant, this was a guy claiming that because of “Rosen’s politics and the whole hot tub in the dorm room as a freshman” stuff he was undraftable.

Add That with Scot McCloughan’s (the ex drunk Redskin GM) affinity for Baker Mayfield, I don’t think Cleveland will take Rosen.  

That said, we have no choice but to offer what ever Cleveland wants for that pick.  If the NYG get Rosen, the Jets will be irrelevant for at least the next 10 years.  No matter what the Jets could do, it won’t matter.

The Giants will get the prototypical NFL star QB with perfect mechanics and genius IQ.  While we throw out guys like Bradford after enduring years of:

Post injury Chad

Dic-pic Favre

Sanchez

Geno

Fitz

McCown.

we could get lucky and end up with Josh Allen so while Rosen is lighting up the NFL, Allen can be throwing for 8-21-167-1-2.

Or we can have Mayfield telling everyone in the media that he’s the best QB in the NFL while backing up whatever dinosaur Macc and Bowles bring in as we go 5-11 every season until I die.

7 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Rosen is clearly the top qb

big gap

darnold

allen

mayfield

I don't agree.  They were building up Rosen, but I saw alot of ugly throws from him, especially out patterns.  Darnold didn't throw and Allen looked really good. I watched some highlight videos on Allen and he always seemed to be throwing on the run, maybe that partially explains his lower completion percentage, but today he looked great!  Mayfield was decent and had a stronger arm than most people thought.  Based on what I've seen Darnold is the best, most complete QB in this draft despite his lack of throwing at the combine and he's going #1. 

4 hours ago, KRL said:

I'm not going to lie, Josh Allen has looked like a high #1 pick from the
Potato Bowl to the Senior Bowl to the Combine.  But I'm still petrified
of the Jets taking him because of his performance in the regular season.
And that's too bad because if he could be trusted we would be in a sweet
spot at #6 with four QB's (Rosen, Mayfield, Darnold & Allen) all
on the same level

Maybe Allen sucking in the regular season had to do with being on a bad team

On 3/2/2018 at 4:54 PM, T0mShane said:

I think Rosen is a Giant as long as he doesn’t do some wild sh*t in his interview with them. The dude will be a megastar there. I’d put the odds of Maccagnan drafting a QB in the first round at about 12%. It’ll be a DB or something.

Dave Gettleman is 67 years old.

Taking Barkley at # 2, fixing the Oline and trying to get a 3rd ring for Eli is probably more in his best interests. He retires at 72 and rakes in big money on a speaking tour.

Not sure a 67 year old GM is going to be all about the long game.

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Maybe Allen sucking in the regular season had to do with being on a bad team

Brian Billick would caution anyone who might excuse a college qb's low completion percentage by blaming the surrounding talent on that college football team .

billick_20110317230907514_0_0_bigger.JPGBrian Billick

@CoachBillick

Biggest error we made when evaluating Kyle Boller out of Cal was justifying low comp % by criticizing the talent he had around him.

What I find amusing about the completion percent debate is we are talking about basically a difference of 4 completions in 100 throws or 3 games, so it's basically 1 competition per game. 

The scary truth is nobody knows what these kids will be. 

I always go back to accorsis report on eli. Didn't mention any stats, except for the fact that Eli threw 3 picks and 2 were his fault  and then he said to trade up to get him. 

Relying on stats means you don't know what you are looking at. 

The key ingredients for accorsi were toughness, leadership, touch, and magic 

You want the guy who can carry the team 

That seems to describe Mayfield and Darnold from this year's class 

1 hour ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I don't agree.  They were building up Rosen, but I saw alot of ugly throws from him, especially out patterns.  Darnold didn't throw and Allen looked really good. I watched some highlight videos on Allen and he always seemed to be throwing on the run, maybe that partially explains his lower completion percentage, but today he looked great!  Mayfield was decent and had a stronger arm than most people thought.  Based on what I've seen Darnold is the best, most complete QB in this draft despite his lack of throwing at the combine and he's going #1. 

I watched a lot of Mountain West games late night on Saturdays this fall. Wyoming's O line was pretty porous  so Allen had to run for his life a lot this year. Opening weekend against Iowa was especially brutal.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

Taking Barkley at # 2, fixing the Oline and trying to get a 3rd ring for Eli is probably more in his best interests. He retires at 72 and rakes in big money on a speaking tour.

Yes, it seems likely that the Giants mission is now to drag Dave Gettleman’s corpse across the big goal line in the sky.

36 minutes ago, Larz said:

What I find amusing about the completion percent debate is we are talking about basically a difference of 4 completions in 100 throws or 3 games, so it's basically 1 competition per game. 

I always go back to accorsis report on eli. Didn't mention any stats, except for the fact that Eli threw 3 picks and 2 were his fault  and then he said to trade up to get him. 

I always go back to the fact that this example makes no sense. You didn’t need to watch a single snap of Eli’s college career to know he was a great prospect.

47 minutes ago, Larz said:

Throw the stats out the window.  Did you happen to watch any of Josh Allen’s games this year?  There was not a single game this year where anyone could come away and think “this guys gonna be an NFL star.”

The only thing people say about him is he is big, strong arm, and then a bunch of excuses.

And saying the difference between Allen and Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield is one completion per game is so off base, it’s laughable.  Allen threw for 1800 yards in 11 games.  Rosen by contrast threw for double that this year.  

45 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I watched a lot of Mountain West games late night on Saturdays this fall. Wyoming's O line was pretty porous  so Allen had to run for his life a lot this year. Opening weekend against Iowa was especially brutal.

Rosen had to do the same.  Difference was that Rosen has star talent and lifted the play of everyone around him.  Allen did not have one single game that warranted being drafted in the first three rounds.

Josh Allen is basically Vernon Gholston.  Looks great with shorts on because he is physically gifted athlete.  Problem is when they get the pads on.

6 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Paxton Lynch 2018?? 

I'm no Josh Allen fan by any stretch of the imagination but Allen's performance today blew Paxton Lynch's out of the water.  Paxton Lynch's biggest problem was that he was dumber than a box of rocks and didn't really care all that much.  I can't comment on Allen's football intelligence (although I don't think it's great because he makes some really stupid throws), but he is passionate about the sport, loves the game, and wants to be great.

Lynch was a guy who absolutely wasted his talent.  I think the case with Allen is that he will never maximize his talent.  To what degree is the question that causes the divide between people when he's discussed.  

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

I always go back to the fact that this example makes no sense. You didn’t need to watch a single snap of Eli’s college career to know he was a great prospect.

Why because his last name was Manning?  If stats tell the whole story, why do we even have a combine and why does it have any impact on when folks get drafted.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I'm no Josh Allen fan by any stretch of the imagination but Allen's performance today blew Paxton Lynch's out of the water.  Paxton Lynch's biggest problem was that he was dumber than a box of rocks and didn't really care all that much.  I can't comment on Allen's football intelligence (although I don't think it's great because he makes some really stupid throws), but he is passionate about the sport, loves the game, and wants to be great.

Lynch was a guy who absolutely wasted his talent.  I think the case with Allen is that he will never maximize his talent.  To what degree is the question that causes the divide between people when he's discussed.  

that dreaded word ... POTENTIAL

8 hours ago, Gangrene said:

Brian Billick would caution anyone who might excuse a college qb's low completion percentage by blaming the surrounding talent on that college football team .

billick_20110317230907514_0_0_bigger.JPGBrian Billick

@CoachBillick

Biggest error we made when evaluating Kyle Boller out of Cal was justifying low comp % by criticizing the talent he had around him.

I'm telling you, I really think come Draft time, teams in the top 10 won't fall into the trap of Josh Allen and he'll fall to the middle of the draft.

That is....if he gets past the brilliance of the New York Jets. 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

I'm telling you, I really think come Draft time, teams in the top 10 won't fall into the trap of Josh Allen and he'll fall to the middle of the draft.

That is....if he gets past the brilliance of the New York Jets. 

Come draft time, he will be the #1 pick

5 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Why because his last name was Manning?  If stats tell the whole story, why do we even have a combine and why does it have any impact on when folks get drafted.

Because he started a ton of games and completed a ton of passes and didn’t turn the ball over a lot, all in the best conference in the country. Of course stats don’t tell the whole story, but when it comes to quarterbacks they do a good job of weeding out which guys have no shot and strongly suggesting which guys probably do, which gets you maybe 80% of the way there. I honestly don’t know why we invite quarterbacks to the Combine.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Hunger Games-style spectacle 

My wife mentioned this yesterday. She said the best part of the Combine is when a guy drops a ball or airmails a pass and they get this downcast look like “well, I guess I’m a third-rounder now.”

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

My wife mentioned this yesterday. She said the best part of the Combine is when a guy drops a ball or airmails a pass and they get this downcast look like “well, I guess I’m a third-rounder now.”

? That’s a pretty good observation. Also, my GF caught me checking my phone while out at dinner and she asked me what I was looking at. I said “Combine results” and she said, “What are ‘Combine results’?” I changed the subject as quickly and as hard as possible.

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Serious question, do you think a 67 year old whose been around as long as Gettleman, is hard up for money enough that that is his motivation?

If he wants to "win now" with Eli, I would think his reason is a bit different that profitable speaking tours at 72+

Also Gettleman > Macc any day IMO.

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Serious question, do you think a 67 year old whose been around as long as Gettleman, is hard up for money enough that that is his motivation?

If he wants to "win now" with Eli, I would think his reason is a bit different that profitable speaking tours at 72+

Also Gettleman > Macc any day IMO.

I would assume that much of the reason Gettleman was hired is because he’s an asympathetic hardo who has no fear of hurting the feelings of washed up vets. 

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Because he started a ton of games and completed a ton of passes and didn’t turn the ball over a lot, all in the best conference in the country. Of course stats don’t tell the whole story, but when it comes to quarterbacks they do a good job of weeding out which guys have no shot and strongly suggesting which guys probably do, which gets you maybe 80% of the way there. I honestly don’t know why we invite quarterbacks to the Combine.

He threw 15 picks his junior year.  That is a lot.  He also completed 58% of his passes.  That's why he went back to school, because in reality he wasn't that good as a Junior.  

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dudes who are defending Josh Allen by saying he had “nobody to throw to...” Other than Mark Andrews with Mayfield, no other receiver from OU or UCLA or USC or Louisville is likely to be drafted before the sixth round. 

Well this is very misleading

just going from a team I know, usc, they are littered with 4 and 5 star recruits, they’re just freshman and sophs. Vaughns, Pittman, Petite

Im at least sure Oklahoma is similar

and burnett is supposed to for around 4-5

Josh-Rosen-800x445.jpg
Josh Rosen throws at the NFL Combine (Photo by Brian Spurlock-USA TODAY Sports)

QBs Rosen, Allen put on show at Combine

— By Rob Rang, NFLDraftscout.com —

INDIANAPOLIS — Quarterbacks Josh Rosen and Josh Allen took full advantage when projected No. 1 overall pick Sam Darnold opted not to throw during Saturday’s highly anticipated throwing session at the NFL Scouting Combine, delivering dazzling performances that scouts won’t soon forget.

Allen, a physically-imposing quarterback from Wyoming, was the obvious star of the morning quarterback session, at one point drawing audible oohs and aahhs from a normally silent audience of talent evaluators after throwing a particularly pretty deep ball that traveled at least 70 yards in the air inside Lucas Oil Stadium.

While perhaps lacking Allen’s best fireball, Rosen was even more impressive when it came to accuracy. The former UCLA Bruins star threw strikes to all levels of the field, including three consecutive picture-perfect vertical routes — which stood out even more since they came moments after Oklahoma Heisman Trophy winning Baker Mayfield fluttered his three attempts at the same throw.

Allen missed a few passes early, especially to his left, an issue that also shows up on his game tapes. At times, Allen is late syncing his million-dollar right arm with his feet, causing some passes to drift.

Just as he did at the Senior Bowl last month, Allen improved as he went along. While it is dangerous to read too much into a workout in which quarterbacks are throwing against air, Allen’s stellar throwing session was evidence that he could be only a few fundamental tweaks away from becoming a much more accurate passer than is suggested by his career 56.2 completion percentage at Wyoming.

While improving accuracy at the highest level is rare, it is not unprecedented. Better fundamentals (and supporting casts) in the NFL have allowed Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco to become quite successful after completing 59.9 and 63.2 percent of their passes at Boston College and Delaware, respectively.

Allen’s technique could use some fine-tuning. Rosen, on the other hand, is about as smooth as it gets for a three-year collegian who turned 21 less than a month ago.

Those paying close attention might note that several of Rosen’s passes during the afternoon gauntlet drill were dropped, but many of these appeared to be just that — mistakes by receivers despite well thrown passes.

Mayfield showed the snappy release and surprising velocity (for a shorter quarterback) that helped him complete more than 70 percent of his passes in each of his past two seasons. It also didn’t go unnoticed by scouts that the hyper-competitive Mayfield threw three nice balls on post-corner routes to conclude his workout after lofting some ugly duckling deep passes the series before. On those passes — each going about 50 yards in the air — receivers had to slow to the point of nearly stopping to wait for the ball.

Those questioning Lamar Jackson’s passing skills were quieted Saturday with the live-armed Louisville quarterback enjoying a very solid showing.

On game tapes, Jackson shows the velocity and touch needed at the next level. After Jackson spent much of his time operating out of the shotgun or throwing on the move at Louisville, however, scouts were eager to see if he looked just as natural and accurate when making three-, five- and seven-step drops.

While not quite as impressive as Deshaun Watson’s similar showing a year ago, Jackson showed good synchronizing his feet and throwing motion, resulting in good accuracy Saturday and probably solidifying his fate as a first-round pick … at quarterback, not receiver.

In a testament to this year’s rare depth at the position, there were several other noteworthy performances from the so-called second-tier of quarterbacks.

Western Kentucky’s Mike White and Richmond’s Kyle Lauletta showed the compact throwing motions and accuracy that could justify either or both of them becoming Day Two values.

White was the more impressive of the two on deep balls, but Lauletta, the reigning Senior Bowl MVP, showed off some skills that might validate some opinions that he could be a steal, looking directly ahead when dropping back, moving imaginary safeties with his eyes before turning late to fire precise passes to the short and intermediate levels.

Lauletta’s lack of an elite arm did show up on the longer passes, however, as he dropped his arm low in an elongated wind-up to generate extra RPMs, a flaw that not only will leave the football vulnerable to rushers around him in a game, it will tip off savvy NFL defenders where the ball is likely heading before he releases it.

Texas Tech’s Nic Shimonek was only invited to the Combine as one of this year’s extra passers to make sure that all of the receivers got their fair share of reps. But he took advantage of the opportunity, showing enough arm and accuracy to warrant a closer look by scouts.

With such good passing Friday, there were plenty of pass-catchers who took advantage.

Unfortunately, consensus top-rated wideout Calvin Ridley was not among them.

10668629-300x200.jpg
Combine notebook: Jump on the Moore bandwagon. –Photo Credit: Aaron Doster-USA TODAY Sport

While Ridley’s easy athleticism was obvious in his initial acceleration out of his stance and fluid change of direction, he dropped several very catchable passes. The frustration seemed to get the better of him as the afternoon workout went on, with Ridley losing his feet and taking a hard fall to the turf after slipping on a post-corner route.

After measuring in bigger and more explosive than expected, Maryland wide receiver DJ Moore has been one of the bright spots of the Combine. Throughout most of the Friday’s workout, Moore also looked the part of a potential top 40 pick. However, he did fail to track and haul on a couple of passes thrown over his shoulder, including one particularly well-thrown post-corner by Shimonek. With so much of his production at Maryland derived from quick screens and underneath routes, scouts will be looking for improvement by Moore in this area at his Pro Day.

All due respect to Moore, the DJ making the most sweet music this week among receivers is LSU’s DJ Chark, who not only wowed scouts with a Combine-best 4.34-second timing in the 40-yard dash and 40-inch vertical, he also ran crisp routes and caught the ball cleanly. So, too, did fellow former SEC star Christian Kirk, who was clocked at 4.47 seconds in 40 yards after weighing in at 201 pounds.

The Southern Methodist duo of Courtland Sutton and Trey Quinn also enjoyed standout workouts with each making several terrific grabs consistent with their game tape. Penn State’s DaeSean Hamilton and Boise State’s Cedrick Wilson ran sharp routes and caught the ball consistently

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Dudes who are defending Josh Allen by saying he had “nobody to throw to...” Other than Mark Andrews with Mayfield, no other receiver from OU or UCLA or USC or Louisville is likely to be drafted before the sixth round. 

So there are two levels of wrs in college? Ones good enough to get Drafted and the rest that are all equally bad? Doesn't quite work that way. There are levels of bad.

It was funny a few weeks ago when people mocked Allen for not being able to throw ball through a hole a few feet away yet he was able to connect on perfect throws 75 yards down the field yesterday.....

Taking Allen comes with risk but every QB in this class comes with risk. Personally, I'd take my chances with a kid like Allen over Mayfield. But I'll be happy with any of the top 4 if we miss out on cousins.

Good write-up by Rang, though his opinion on Jackson’s workout seems to differ from a lot of others. It appears that Rosen has allayed a lot of concerns about his douchiness, and Josh Allen is going to successfully trick someone into drafting him top five. 

Archived