Jet Rumors (Tony Pauline)

KRL

http://draftanalyst.com/combine-notes-day-4

On-field workouts at the combine have officially begun, as the offensive linemen and running backs completed their testing today. Tomorrow it’s the quarterbacks, receivers and tight ends. Here’s the latest from Indianapolis.

Combine Prospects

- On Monday, we mentioned the need for receiver Courtland Sutton to have a big combine workout, and the expectations are that he’ll run faster than most think during tomorrow’s testing. I’m told times in the low 4.5s are possible, better than most imagine.

Free Agency

- I’ve been told the New York Jets gameplan at cornerback includes re-signing Mo Claiborne, who is set to be a free agent, as well as keeping Buster Skrine, who is in the final year of his deal with the team. It is unlikely they go after a top-rated corner like Trumaine Johnson, although the team has set its sights on a mid-tier free agent. The Jets have been linked to Malcolm Butler in the New York media, but the word I’m hearing is that they seem to be leaning towards Bashaud Breeland.

- Many here believe if they lose out in the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes, the contingency plan for the New York Jets is to make a move to acquire Sam Bradford, who is set to become a free agent.

- I’ve been mentioning all along that the Jets have their sights set on obtaining Weston Richburg in free agency. It’s very likely going to be a much more expensive acquisition than the franchise initially thought, as I’m told the market for Richburg has exploded and plenty of teams have shown a ton of interest in the soon-to-be free-agent center. This will put the Jets in an awkward position, as they’ve shown no interest in re-signing Wesley Johnson, the team’s starting center last season.

- If the Carolina Panthers don’t re-sign Star Lotulelei, the Houston Texans and Kansas City Chiefs are potential landing spots, as both teams have shown interest.

Keep This In the Back of Your Mind

- On Monday, I mentioned that the Seattle Seahawks will float Earl Thomas as trade bait here at the combine, and several teams are now openly talking about acquiring the safety and discussing how he would fit in their system.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Sam Bradford, please no.

Seriously...there is absolutely zero reason to sign him. You know that he is going to get injured sooner rather than later, plus didn't seem like his knee healed all that well last year. 

Given the choice, I'd even take Bridgewater over him, at least Teddy only suffered one season-ending injury so far in his career. 

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I have come to the conclusion that people hate oft inured players more than sh*tty players and would rather have a sh*tty player than one that might get hurt.

Hey man, at least a sh*tty player can make a good play every now and then...what's the point of paying a player that you know will be riding the sidelines in street clothes? 

Zero chance Macc and Bowles stake their futures on Sam f**ing Bradford.  The guy is Sam Jackson from Unbreakable.  Signing him would be a sick f***ing joke.  I refuse to believe it.

If they lose out on Cousins then McCown and QB at 6 is the only solution.  Paying Keenum, Bridgewater, or Sam Bradford would be an unforgivable disaster.

Give Cousins 5 year 160mil with 100 mil guaranteed (eclipsing Stanford by a landslide since he’s a FA). Done deal. Take a big cap hit in 2018 (40mil, leaving 30mil a year afterwards). Sign Richburg and Mo Claiborne. Draft Barkley, draft a LG  and RT in round 2. Offense set (hopefully). And you’d still have about 30 mil of cap space for other minor signings. 

Meanwhile the Broncos take intuitive and talk to the Browns about moving up to #1 and we want to sign Bradford and his 7 time torn ACL. fuuunny! Telling you... totally OK with this move if he is the back up and we grab our rookie in the first. NOT cool with him being a #1 option. He has more fluid in his knee than an IV pack. He can’t be relied on for a #1 gig. lmaooooo...wtf I’m so pissed...this better just be rumors.

Sam Bradford would be very SOJ. It also means the end of Macc and Bowles. Since Bradford is made of glass and also not very good. 

If you we are lucky/unlucky Bradford would play the whole season? If this guy is a Franchise QB why is he on his third team, soon to be 4th?

I'd sooner take a swing at Teddy Bridgewater. It may be shaping up to be a very poor of season and draft. 

The Bill boards may get a return this season?

Wow, this is the most depressing set of rumours I've ever read. Love scorching the team last year, to save cap space, to then not sign any real difference makers. 

As much as I don’t want to believe it, this is how Macc and Bowles operate.  They settle for lower tiered free agents, and dinosaur QBs.

If Richburg is their top Center on the market, than go get him.  We are backing off because he is going to be expensive?  So we are going to pay $8M per for Detroit’s 33rd ranked center instead of Richburg, who is one of the best centers in the league for another $3M?  We are going sign a mid-tier CB but still end up paying them $9-10M per.  What’s wrong with this situation?

We have a team full of mid-tier players, we need some difference makers.

And instead of Cousins, Rosen, or Darnold, we are going after Bradford, Allen, etc.

We have $100M in cap space but our GM is playing money ball.  And our GM must think the organization is an inferior step brother because they ALWAYS settle for the scraps.

Damn this piece just p!$$es me off.  I hope this guy (CBNY) just hates the Jets and their fans.

LOL. Big offseason! ALL the money to spend.

Keep Skrine. 

Dont go after top Corners

Try to sign Sam Bradford  

Spend big money on the one Center with injury problems   

Wtf is wrong with this team???? Is Pauline f’n with us? I sure hope so  

Bradford on a cheap deal with a rookie is fine, same way as McCown on a cheap deal with a rookie in fine. But the fear is getting Bradford is there way of not drafting a rookie at 6, which would be ridiculous. 

I actually think Bradford could be a great QB, but I doubt he'll ever be fit enough to prove it which is why it'd be ridiculous for us to try and use him as our number one, build-around guy. 

Surely even MM knows it's either Cousins or a rookie; we have to come out the summer with a decent shot at having  Franchise QB for the next 5-7 years at least. Anything else and he's basically just waiting for the sack. 

The more that I think about this offseason, the more I think many of us are going to be disappointed with how free agency plays out. I just don't think the Jets are close enough to being a contender to attract big-ticket FAs unless we vastly overpay them. 

2 hours ago, The Walrus said:

Hmmm. Signing Sam Bradford to be the starter until our pick is ready ? Yeah ok, would still have stuck with McCown who's been in the system.

Yeah this is ok as long as the guy they draft can start in September.  That’s how the Jets operate.  Drafting flawed and inferior QBs and starting them way too early.  

If they sign Bradford they BETTER get Rosen.  

Signing Bradford and drafting Josh Allen would be so incredibly disastrous that I would enjoy the heck out of watching this team self-destruct.

All we've heard since the season ended is how the Jets will be big spenders in FA, this report doesn't seem the jive with that. I'd be beyond pissed if we got Bradford let alone OVERPAID for him and skipped on QB at 6. If Bradford is signed that doesn't necessarily mean we are out of the QB market, I think it is similar to a Glennon situation where you could take a QB still but sort of hides your hand from the rest of the league to an extent. Maybe you don't need to trade up in that scenario.

As odd as it sounds, I'm actually okay with keeping Skrine for this year. I think it's a move similar to how the Bills are keeping Tyrod for another season. Any replacement will likely cost you just as much or more, you probably get far less penalties though. I am actually a fan of Breeland, Redskins fans apparently don't want to lose him. I'd actually prefer him to Johnson, I'd rather other CBs but could live with that signing.

As far as Center goes, I'd be really upset if we didn't sign one of Richburg or Jensen. I don't particularly want to spend a 2nd on one if we don't have to, I'd rather have an Edge rusher and RB.

Archived