Jet Rumors (Tony Pauline)

KRL

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Yeah this is ok as long as the guy they draft can start in September.  That’s how the Jets operate.  Drafting flawed and inferior QBs and starting them way too early.  

If they sign Bradford they BETTER get Rosen.  

Signing Bradford and drafting Josh Allen would be so incredibly disastrous that I would enjoy the heck out of watching this team self-destruct.

I'm against Allen when compared to other rookies but I think I'd rather him than not taking one. Not that I endorse that mindset with the Jets (of settling because no one is left) but as a fan at least I could have some hope.

Our FO can’t leak that there is serious interest in Cousins and then sign Bradford.

They also can’t tease us all season by pumping up Darnold and Rosen and then come away with Hack Jr.

We have $100M in cap space but now are so bad we can’t attract quality free agents?  

Im getting too old to keep following a team that makes dumb decisions.  Every year we hold out hopeonly to come away incredibly disappointed.  

If  Macc can’t get a FQB (Cousins, Rosen, or Darnold) after 4 years, he has to go.  

2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Our FO can’t leak that there is serious interest in Cousins and then sign Bradford.

They also can’t tease us all season by pumping up Darnold and Rosen and then come away with Hack Jr.

We have $100M in cap space but now are so bad we can’t attract quality free agents?  

Im getting too old to keep following a team that makes dumb decisions.  Every year we hold out hopeonly to come away incredibly disappointed.  

If  Macc can’t get a FQB (Cousins, Rosen, or Darnold) after 4 years, he has to go.  

100% agree with everything here. I'm hoping these rumors are just that, generally we have been tight lipped when it comes to this regime. Cousins, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, even Allen just get one. Sell me hope.

I don't see a circumstance where they sign Bradford.  The Vikings coach just said he considered his knee to be degenerative.  He's in way worse health than mccown.  

What the reality is, is that mccagnan knows he's probably not getting cousins.  So not only is he looking at other veteran options in the event he drafts a qb (notice the rumors were not younger guys like macaron or bridgewater), but he's also considering who would be an easy qb to yank when he wants to start the rookie.

truth, i think FA will be about filling lots of holes with average players.  And i think the main reason for this is because 'at the end of the day', mccagnan knows he probably has to trade up for Rosen or darnold, the two logical targets.  I've actually concluded that any rumors about the jets and mayfield are just those, rumors.  He's not a mccagnan guy, and truth, I'm not sure his upside is enough to take at 6.  And i sincerely doubt mccagnan can risk his job on him, or allen, who seems to need at least a year of holding a clipboard.

so for free agency, i think we're in for a lot of cheaper signings, with the underlying assumptions that 1) cousins is going elsewhere, and 2) mccagnan is going to deal substantial draft capital to move up.  If, say, darnold/Rosen go 1/2 and mccagnan doesn't want to take mayfield or allen, that's when i think the whole thing starts to fall apart.  Drafting Nelson when you don't have a qb would be frustrating.  Would he risk trading back a few spots and taking Lamar jackson?  Great question.  

4 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'm against Allen when compared to other rookies but I think I'd rather him than not taking one. Not that I endorse that mindset with the Jets (of settling because no one is left) but as a fan at least I could have some hope.

I understand that out of desperation we would need to take what ever QB is left at 6.  But if we know the guy is going to bust, all it does is prevent us from taking another QB until we have a new GM & HC.  We literally passed on Watson and Mahoney over Hack DESPITE everyone inside the organization and outside the organization knowing he was a bust.

Macc needs to grow a pair and either sign Cousins or move trade up to #1.  Playing it safe is what keeps you at 5-11.  Not bad enough to get a real QB and not relevant at all other than being the team the globetrotters massacre every game.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Wow sign Sam Bradford and draft a corner at 6? Who could have predicted something like that. So wild and unlike the Jets I mean. Who could have seen this. 

LOL. I'm beginning to warm to the idea of membership in the Jets Cynic Association. Breeland is a talented headcase. You know we will end up with Wesley Johnson at center, Buster Skrine at corner, and Darkwa as our lead running back. Bradford would be the cherry on that turd cake. That's called junk in the trunk by any other name.

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I don't see a circumstance where they sign Bradford.  The Vikings coach just said he considered his knee to be degenerative.  He's in way worse health than mccown.  

What the reality is, is that mccagnan knows he's probably not getting cousins.  So not only is he looking at other veteran options in the event he drafts a qb (notice the rumors were not younger guys like macaron or bridgewater), but he's also considering who would be an easy qb to yank when he wants to start the rookie.

truth, i think FA will be about filling lots of holes with average players.  And i think the main reason for this is because 'at the end of the day', mccagnan knows he probably has to trade up for Rosen or darnold, the two logical targets.  I've actually concluded that any rumors about the jets and mayfield are just those, rumors.  He's not a mccagnan guy, and truth, I'm not sure his upside is enough to take at 6.  And i sincerely doubt mccagnan can risk his job on him, or allen, who seems to need at least a year of holding a clipboard.

so for free agency, i think we're in for a lot of cheaper signings, with the underlying assumptions that 1) cousins is going elsewhere, and 2) mccagnan is going to deal substantial draft capital to move up.  If, say, darnold/Rosen go 1/2 and mccagnan doesn't want to take mayfield or allen, that's when i think the whole thing starts to fall apart.  Drafting Nelson when you don't have a qb would be frustrating.  Would he risk trading back a few spots and taking Lamar jackson?  Great question.  

The fly in this ointment is that if the Jets strategy is to cash in their draft picks to move up, they are compelled to be big players in FA, both to spend the enormous capital they just saved on being stiffed by Cousins and to compensate for the loss of draft picks. Going cheap in FA AND giving up picks to move up would be incredibly dumb with current cap space. MacCagnan might as well just commit hari kiri now and be done with it.

2 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I understand that out of desperation we would need to take what ever QB is left at 6.  But if we know the guy is going to bust, all it does is prevent us from taking another QB until we have a new GM & HC.  We literally passed on Watson and Mahoney over Hack DESPITE everyone inside the organization and outside the organization knowing he was a bust.

Macc needs to grow a pair and either sign Cousins or move trade up to #1.  Playing it safe is what keeps you at 5-11.  Not bad enough to get a real QB and not relevant at all other than being the team the globetrotters massacre every game.

I don't endorse taking a player you think will bust or one you don't like for that matter, hence the my parenthesis in my prior post. If guys like Kiper and McShay are touting him as a #1 overall pick then I am okay with rolling the dice on him at 6 if he is all that is left. Taking a QB in the 2nd just wastes a 2nd round pick and wastes a year IMO, I'd rather roll the dice on a top QB for 4-5 years because at least we'd have given it a fair shake. You gotta gamble at some point and I think this is the year to do it.

Ever since Macc has been the GM, very little information has gotten out of that building. Everything your reading is either speculation or sh*t the Jets are leaking ON PURPOSE. 

Is there anyone that really believes that Tony Pauline has a Campbells can stringed directly to Macc. More like info purposely leaked so it gets even less believable as it's related through numerous channels. Like others have stated, Kirk Cousins agent could be the guy behind all of the "Broncos, Vikings, Jets, willing to do whatever it takes to sign Cousins", lol.

I don't believe anything I'm reading. Media is speculating no different than all of us here.

2 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

The fly in this ointment is that if the Jets strategy is to cash in their draft picks to move up, they are compelled to be big players in FA, both to spend the enormous capital they just saved on being stiffed by Cousins and to compensate for the loss of draft picks. Going cheap in FA AND giving up picks to move up would be incredibly dumb with current cap space. MacCagnan might as well just commit hari kiri now and be done with it.

Instead of spending a lot of money on a few players, i think the strategy would shift to, spending that money for cheaper options on more players.  Fill more holes, b/c they're going to be trading draft picks to get a qb and therefore won't have picks to fill those spots.  So instead of drafting, say, Ronald jones in the 2nd round, they fill a spot with darkwa.  But i think mccagnan realizes that either he fixes the qb position or he is gone.  And i hope that means being aggressive and getting a real qb who can play year 1 and handle the mental and physical rigors of playing in New York.  And when you use those as criteria, it means darnold or Rosen.

39 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

LOL. Big offseason! ALL the money to spend.

Keep Skrine. 

Dont go after top Corners

Try to sign Sam Bradford  

Spend big money on the one Center with injury problems   

Wtf is wrong with this team???? Is Pauline f’n with us? I sure hope so  

Breeland has a higher PFF grade than Johnson anyway. That’s not the part I’m mad about. I’m mad about picking the kneeless QB who couldn’t get back on the field because his knee kept filling up with fluid. His body can’t handle football at the pro level and it never could.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

I don't endorse taking a player you think will bust or one you don't like for that matter, hence the my parenthesis in my prior post. If guys like Kiper and McShay are touting him as a #1 overall pick then I am okay with rolling the dice on him at 6 if he is all that is left. Taking a QB in the 2nd just wastes a 2nd round pick and wastes a year IMO, I'd rather roll the dice on a top QB for 4-5 years because at least we'd have given it a fair shake. You gotta gamble at some point and I think this is the year to do it.

If the Jets take Josh Allen, I will be his biggest supporter.  But I just don’t see an NFL QB when I watch him.  Watched three of his Wyoming games during the season and was baffled on how he could be so over hyped.  

Then watching his bowl game, he impressed me during the first half.  I was hoping to see him really unload in the second half and he disappeared.

At the Senior Bowl he had a good quarter mixed with a meh quarter.  My problem with the Senior Bowl was that he was outshined by Mayfield during the week and then outplayed by Mike White  and Kyle Lauletta during the game.

I just think the accuracy is an issue that NFL coaching can’t fix.  Mason Rudolph put up amazing stats for the past 4 seasons but accuracy is preventing him from being considered a top QB prospect.  So what is the difference between Rudolph and Allen?  Both are very big guys.  The difference is Allen throws a harder ball and can throw it 60 yards.

Lets look at both of those attributes.  On the distance: Kurt Warner said just yesterday, that it never matters that a guy can throw that far.  The longest pass a QBneeds to throw is about 45 yards because of the NFL defenses.  And on the speed of Allen’s throws, will he Improve his touch by taking some heat off his throws?  And if so, why didn’t he do that at WY?  We can’t blame his faults on the WY coaching staff because they developed Carson Wentz.

And Brian Billick said it best when he said the biggest mistake of his career was blaming Kyle Boller’s bad film on his supporting cast instead of seeing a QB that just wasn’t elite.

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Ever since Macc has been the GM, very little information has gotten out of that building. Everything your reading is either speculation or sh*t the Jets are leaking ON PURPOSE. 

Is there anyone that really believes that Tony Pauline has a Campbells can stringed directly to Macc. More like info purposely leaked so it gets even less believable as it's related through numerous channels. Like others have stated, Kirk Cousins agent could be the guy behind all of the "Broncos, Vikings, Jets, willing to do whatever it takes to sign Cousins", lol.

I don't believe anything I'm reading. Media is speculating no different than all of us here.

I tend to agree with this, which worries me because I really want Mayfield but I know he doesn't fit Macc's profile for a QB. I will chose to believe some rumors and disregard others I don't like hearing :D I just want a QB in the top of the draft so I can be excited.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Breeland has a higher PFF grade than Johnson anyway. That’s not the part I’m mad about. I’m mad about picking the kneeless QB who couldn’t get back on the field because his knee kept filling up with fluid. His body can’t handle football at the pro level and it never could.

Knowing the Jets luck, Bradford will play a full season, one of his best, thus giving the jets another nice 7-9 season. 

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

100% agree with everything here. I'm hoping these rumors are just that, generally we have been tight lipped when it comes to this regime. Cousins, Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, even Allen just get one. Sell me hope.

Especially when we could have drafted Mahomes last year for no draft picks!

Mac and Bowles felt that they had to show some improvement or they could be fired so they hedged their bets and went with a non QB at 6, got McCown and had a mediocre season with a poor roster.  Those are the facts. 

IMO they don’t this year get to act like they had no choice when in fact they did.  Mahomes will be starting for KC next year and no one other than Cousins, that the Jets can get, is a sure bet to play better than him.

If (bad knee) Sam Bradford is the best that they get with a Petty and Hack behind him this crew has to go period.  

13 minutes ago, Pcola said:

If the Jets take Josh Allen, I will be his biggest supporter.  But I just don’t see an NFL QB when I watch him.  Watched three of his Wyoming games during the season and was baffled on how he could be so over hyped.  

Then watching his bowl game, he impressed me during the first half.  I was hoping to see him really unload in the second half and he disappeared.

At the Senior Bowl he had a good quarter mixed with a meh quarter.  My problem with the Senior Bowl was that he was outshined by Mayfield during the week and then outplayed by Mike White  and Kyle Lauletta during the game.

I just think the accuracy is an issue that NFL coaching can’t fix.  Mason Rudolph put up amazing stats for the past 4 seasons but accuracy is preventing him from being considered a top QB prospect.  So what is the difference between Rudolph and Allen?  Both are very big guys.  The difference is Allen throws a harder ball and can throw it 60 yards.

Lets look at both of those attributes.  On the distance: Kurt Warner said just yesterday, that it never matters that a guy can throw that far.  The longest pass a QBneeds to throw is about 45 yards because of the NFL defenses.  And on the speed of Allen’s throws, will he Improve his touch by taking some heat off his throws?  And if so, why didn’t he do that at WY?  We can’t blame his faults on the WY coaching staff because they developed Carson Wentz.

And Brian Billick said it best when he said the biggest mistake of his career was blaming Kyle Boller’s bad film on his supporting cast instead of seeing a QB that just wasn’t elite.

I can't see mccagnan taking allen after hackenberg.  I'd rather take Nelson and then risk a qb in the 2nd round.

29 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I agree with you on the quantity over quality signings because that’s what we do now.  I just don’t agree that it’s the wisest choice.

We need major upgrades to our OL.  We need to come out of this with either Richburg or Jensen.  Period.  We can’t waste cap and roster space on the Lions #33 ranked center or even considering bringing bacon Johnson.  

We have a bunch of young, inexperienced, and/or average WRs, bringing in a guy like Allen Robinson not only improves our RZ offense, but he improves every other WR on our team.

At corner, I do think the number of corners available are a little overrated so I can understand Breeland over Johnson.  But I’m sure other teams will see this as well.  I just hope that Breeland doesn’t want more $$ than frugal Mike is willing to give.

To have an offseason where we pick 6, have an extra 2, and $100M in cap space, it’s gonna be pretty bad to go into the season with the same number of difference makers as we had last year (zero.)

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

I agree with you on the quantity over quality signings because that’s what we do now.  I just don’t agree that it’s the wisest choice.

We need major upgrades to our OL.  We need to come out of this with either Richburg or Jensen.  Period.  We can’t waste cap and roster space on the Lions #33 ranked center or even considering bringing bacon Johnson.  

We have a bunch of young, inexperienced, and/or average WRs, bringing in a guy like Allen Robinson not only improves our RZ offense, but he improves every other WR on our team.

At corner, I do think the number of corners available are a little overrated so I can understand Breeland over Johnson.  But I’m sure other teams will see this as well.  I just hope that Breeland doesn’t want more $$ than frugal Mike is willing to give.

To have an offseason where we pick 6, have an extra 2, and $100M in cap space, it’s gonna be pretty bad to go into the season with the same number of difference makers as we had last year (zero.)

If mccagnan knows he'll be trading his 2nd rounders to move up, though, and won't have those to fill 2 needs, then he may reconsider spreading the cap room around to fill more holes.  Though, if the goal is to trade up for a qb, then the priority should definitely be offensive line.  I wouldn't spend on a guy like allen Robinson.  If they trade up for darnold or Rosen, they can go his rookie year with the wrs they have.  Protection is more important.  

27 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

This is why the ultimate safe Mac move is to get Keenum under center and basically upgrade but take the risk that Keenum was nothing more than a one season powerful team wonder. 

I’ll say it one more time. The only way any of this takes an amazing turn is if a Hackenberg is really the real deal and the Jets have been “shrewdly” biding their time.  Oh boy.  

1 minute ago, Adoni Beast said:

Im fine with Bradford, who when healthy is a very good QB...as long as we draft someone!!! 

Signing Bradford is a waste. I'd rather have mccown.  If the jets bring in Bradford it would signal that mccagnan hasn't learned a damn thing about how to address the qb position or what the fan base wants.  I read that the Johnsons are concerned about empty seats at jet games and thus instructed mccagnan to spend the cap money.  Throwing money at Bradford is useless.  Nobody is going to MetLife to see him.  Nobody.  

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Signing Bradford is a waste. I'd rather have mccown.  If the jets bring in Bradford it would signal that mccagnan hasn't learned a damn thing about how to address the qb position or what the fan base wants.  I read that the Johnsons are concerned about empty seats at jet games and thus instructed mccagnan to spend the cap money.  Throwing money at Bradford is useless.  Nobody is going to MetLife to see him.  Nobody.  

Can you imagine what Macc’s Vision for 2018:

A stadium full of Bradford and Darkwa jerseys.  

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Agreed. We should be discussing a more likely scenario -- moving up to 3 (Indy), which will take roughly a high second and fourth. That's a very cheap price to pay even if Rosen and Darnold are gone to get Mayfield or Allen. If Cleveland goes Allen with the first, we're in play for Rosen or Darnold as well. That's a balanced approach that doesn't sell the farm. We would be still reasonably positioned in the draft with the later second still in our pocket. For the cost of a fourth we have a legitimate QB prospect. And we will have money to pick up some decent players in FA, not fillers.

In that scenario, Josh McCown makes sense as the vet bridge.

Just now, Pcola said:

Can you imagine what Macc’s Vision for 2018:

A stadium full of Bradford and Darkwa jerseys.  

If they trade up for darnold or Rosen and use this year to install the offense, that would be fine.  I could live with a rb rotation.  But good luck selling this fan base on Bradford.  

It would be interesting, though, if they whiffed on cousins, drafted Nelson, and while the fan base was blowing this message board up, they trade up for Lamar jackson.  I'm not sure he's any riskier than Josh allen, and his upside could well be higher than mayfield.  Mayfield in this climate worries me.  He'd be better in a dome.   

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Agreed I think we would all prefer McCown, but I think it's splitting hairs. Bradford is basically the younger more expensive version of McCown. Maybe they think McCown is done, I could see him becoming our QB coach since he's 39 and it would appear we left that position open.

Just now, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Agreed. We should be discussing a more likely scenario -- moving up to 3 (Indy), which will take roughly a high second and fourth. That's a very cheap price to pay even if Rosen and Darnold are gone to get Mayfield or Allen. If Cleveland goes Allen with the first, we're in play for Rosen or Darnold as well. That's a balanced approach that doesn't sell the farm. We would be still reasonably positioned in the draft with the later second still in our pocket. For the cost of a fourth we have a legitimate QB prospect. And we will have money to pick up some decnet players in FA, not fillers.

I can easily see it playing out that Denver gets cousins, minny keeps keenum, and darnold/Barkley go 1/2.  Then the jets will be in prime position to deal up to 3, if Indy is willing to risk losing Chubb, or 4, if the browns would move back 2 spots.  Truth, i can see Indy moving back and drafting Nelson, which would really help luck anyway.  That would be a win/win.

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Agreed I think we would all prefer McCown, but I think it's splitting hairs. Bradford is basically the younger more expensive version of McCown. Maybe they think McCown is done, I could see him becoming our QB coach since he's 39 and it would appear we left that position open.

It's not splitting hairs.  Mccown is more likely to embrace coaching a rookie, and and looked more spry than Bradford.  

Archived