Jet Rumors (Tony Pauline)

KRL

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Signing Bradford is a waste. I'd rather have mccown.  If the jets bring in Bradford it would signal that mccagnan hasn't learned a damn thing about how to address the qb position or what the fan base wants.  I read that the Johnsons are concerned about empty seats at jet games and thus instructed mccagnan to spend the cap money.  Throwing money at Bradford is useless.  Nobody is going to MetLife to see him.  Nobody.  

While I agree about Bradford not filling any seats, the fact remains, when healthy Bradford is very good. Clearly he’s on his last legs and may be only able to play another half season to 2 seasons max.

But he is an upgrade over McCown. Bradford can win some games for you, while the (hopefully) drafted rookie gets ready. I’m actually shocked they’re even considering him. I assumed they’d go right to McCown, once Cousins signs elsewhere.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

While I agree about Bradford not filling any seats, the fact remains, when healthy Bradford is very good. Clearly he’s on his last legs and may be only able to play another half season to 2 seasons max.

But he is an upgrade over McCown. Bradford can win some games for you, while the (hopefully) drafted rookie gets ready. I’m actually shocked they’re even considering him. I assumed they’d go right to McCown, once Cousins signs elsewhere.

Just say NO to both haven't we seen enough sh*tty QB play in a lifetime. 

9 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I can live with Bradford only if we were to take Lamar Jackson in the 2nd. Not my ideal scenario but I’d be more excited about the team.

If we sign Bradford, that better not stop us from taking a QB at 6. Jackson in the second is a repeat of Geno and hack in the second. It's doing things half assed.

Bradford's body is basically made out of egg shell, if you sneeze on
him he could be out for the season.  When he's been on the field he's
been deadly accurate and productive but to me he's too big a risk.
The only way I could tolerate him being the QB is if the team has
secretly fallen in love with Lamar Jackson.  If the team is committed 
to cleaning up Jackson's issues then creating an offense around his
incredible athletic gifts, I could deal with Bradford for a year

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

I understand that out of desperation we would need to take what ever QB is left at 6.  But if we know the guy is going to bust, all it does is prevent us from taking another QB until we have a new GM & HC.  We literally passed on Watson and Mahoney over Hack DESPITE everyone inside the organization and outside the organization knowing he was a bust.

Macc needs to grow a pair and either sign Cousins or move trade up to #1.  Playing it safe is what keeps you at 5-11.  Not bad enough to get a real QB and not relevant at all other than being the team the globetrotters massacre every game.

If these rumors are true, I wouldn't worry about this part. We'll have a new HC/GM next year. 

37 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Agreed. We should be discussing a more likely scenario -- moving up to 3 (Indy), which will take roughly a high second and fourth. That's a very cheap price to pay even if Rosen and Darnold are gone to get Mayfield or Allen. If Cleveland goes Allen with the first, we're in play for Rosen or Darnold as well. That's a balanced approach that doesn't sell the farm. We would be still reasonably positioned in the draft with the later second still in our pocket. For the cost of a fourth we have a legitimate QB prospect. And we will have money to pick up some decent players in FA, not fillers.

In that scenario, Josh McCown makes sense as the vet bridge.

You are 100% correct. The minute Macc knows that Cousins isn't coming, he needs to trade up to at least the number 3 spot. Until we have a legitimate talent at QB, free agents are not going to be dying to sign here. 

23 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

We are bringing in a vet QB one way or the other. The question is whether any of these guys would prevent macc from drafting a kid in top 6. I think only Cousins would have that effect... At least I hope.

12 minutes ago, maury77 said:

You are 100% correct. The minute Macc knows that Cousins isn't coming, he needs to trade up to at least the number 3 spot. Until we have a legitimate talent at QB, free agents are not going to be dying to sign here. 

I saw someone say in SI that if Minn gets Cousins, Denver will go for Keenum or Bridgewater. I think that makes a lot of sense. Denver is an aging team with a small window for another playoff run. I don't think they will use their #5 on a QB. And Cleveland would be nuts to trade out of either #1 or #4 unless they really really believe in Kizer. Denver could trade down though. That would make the #5 pick open for a team to jump up and get the 4th QB (assuming Cleveland, Giants and Jets take first three).

9 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I can live with Bradford only if we were to take Lamar Jackson in the 2nd. Not my ideal scenario but I’d be more excited about the team.

I wouldn't mind that at all. Or draft a Qb in the 1st, I like Darnold over all of them.  As for Bradford he's a good player but one poster a few days ago mentioned he has a bad knee injury and can't start. If he can play I would look into him on a one year deal. Second year the drafted Qb starts. 

35 minutes ago, KRL said:

Bradford's body is basically made out of egg shell, if you sneeze on
him he could be out for the season.  When he's been on the field he's
been deadly accurate and productive but to me he's too big a risk.
The only way I could tolerate him being the QB is if the team has
secretly fallen in love with Lamar Jackson.  If the team is committed 
to cleaning up Jackson's issues then creating an offense around his
incredible athletic gifts, I could deal with Bradford for a year

I myself have begun to warm up to Jackson the more the off season has gone on.  People act like Jackson and Geno Smith, or even RGIII are all the same, when they are not.

I honestly believe that Jackson is way a better prospect than either of the last two

Jackson also is not just a "runner" he looks to pass first and if it is there he takes off and more importantly than that he is coachable and and very disciplined person........

Finally Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen ended their college careers with nearly identical completion percentages but folks act like Allen can be "fixed" but Jackson is beyond redemption it doesn't add up or make a lick of sense IMO..

Especially since Jackson's percentage was impacted by the fact that he is moving around so much

I like him.....

5 hours ago, morny said:

Wow, this is the most depressing set of rumours I've ever read. Love scorching the team last year, to save cap space, to then not sign any real difference makers. 

This offseason will truly show who Mac is and if he has no balls then gtfo. This is the worst news and absolutely depressing. All the obvious things and he seems oblivious. I've not once used this phrase on this board but.. this will be the definition of same old Jets. Sad.

7 minutes ago, Drums said:

This offseason will truly show who Mac is and if he has no balls then gtfo. This is the worst news and absolutely depressing. All the obvious things and he seems oblivious. I've not once used this phrase on this board but.. this will be the definition of same old Jets. Sad.

These rumors also just screams “we’ll sit at 6 and see what falls to us”. 

Mac needs to get his head out of the bargain bin or else he’s heading for unemployment. 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Signing Bradford is a waste. I'd rather have mccown.  If the jets bring in Bradford it would signal that mccagnan hasn't learned a damn thing about how to address the qb position or what the fan base wants.  I read that the Johnsons are concerned about empty seats at jet games and thus instructed mccagnan to spend the cap money.  Throwing money at Bradford is useless.  Nobody is going to MetLife to see him.  Nobody.  

I literally would buy season tickets if we drafted a guy like mayfield or darnold and fly back home for the games. 

If we sign Bradford it will be the final straw and  I’m buying Colts season tickets.

then next year when the combine came around I’d find Mac in downtown Indy and kick him square in the nuts.  At that point Id be willing to take the C felony as a matter of principal. 

This seems like a good thread for this Jets mention in combine article over at RealGM 

--Kirk Cousins to Minnesota is a very popular take, and that includes folks from both Minnesota and Washington (his old team). In more than 20 conversations I’ve had with people about Cousins over the last couple of weeks, not one person with legit NFL or Cousins connections has ever brought up the New York Jets. Denver, Arizona and Cleveland (as a non-starter) are the others that get mentioned.

https://football.realgm.com/analysis/3036/Nfl-Scouting-Combine-Notebook-Friday

2 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

I literally would buy season tickets if we drafted a guy like mayfield or darnold and fly back home for the games. 

If we sign Bradford it will be the final straw and  I’m buying Colts season tickets.

then next year when the combine came around I’d find Mac in downtown Indy and kick him square in the nuts.  At that point Id be willing to take the C felony as a matter of principal. 

What would be the problem with signing Bradford and then drafting a guy like Mayfield or Darnold at 6 though?

If the Jets signed Bradford they would not be doing it thinking he's a longterm option.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

This seems like a good thread for this Jets mention in combine article over at RealGM 

--Kirk Cousins to Minnesota is a very popular take, and that includes folks from both Minnesota and Washington (his old team). In more than 20 conversations I’ve had with people about Cousins over the last couple of weeks, not one person with legit NFL or Cousins connections has ever brought up the New York Jets. Denver, Arizona and Cleveland (as a non-starter) are the others that get mentioned.

As a non starter?? What does that mean?

I mean if anyone is discussing where Cousins would go, I wouldn’t bring up the Jets either. Mac would be magician of the year if he pulled it off. 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

As a non starter?? What does that mean?

I mean if anyone is discussing where Cousins would go, I wouldn’t bring up the Jets either. Mac would be magician of the year if he pulled it off. 

yeah i dont get "non starter" maybe he meant to write "safety school" 

the jets have nothing to offer this player, not even money. the dollar buys way more in Ohio/AZ/Min/Col than NJ

3 minutes ago, bitonti said:

MacBowles are not getting the easy way out.  First you need to draft well and build a base, and have a solid front office and staff, and then you can sign the top free agents.  The Jets missed on the top guys last year too, even though they bid more.   Cousins is not coming to Florham Park to work for the Johnsons and MacBowles.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

Ever since Macc has been the GM, very little information has gotten out of that building. Everything your reading is either speculation or sh*t the Jets are leaking ON PURPOSE. 

Is there anyone that really believes that Tony Pauline has a Campbells can stringed directly to Macc. More like info purposely leaked so it gets even less believable as it's related through numerous channels. Like others have stated, Kirk Cousins agent could be the guy behind all of the "Broncos, Vikings, Jets, willing to do whatever it takes to sign Cousins", lol.

I don't believe anything I'm reading. Media is speculating no different than all of us here.

I agree 100%.  This FO has rarely let anything leak to the press and the press have rarely ever known anything the Jets have done prior to the Jets announcing it since Macc has been here.  Why the hell would Macc all of a sudden start leaking things to the press?  It's the agents, knowing the Jets have a ton of money, trying to drive up the price as much as possible.  I wouldn't be shocked if they Jets signed Cousins and also drafted a QB at 6.  Also, this FA class is not very good so the Jets may end up with mostly middle of the road players.  But with that being said they have such lack of depth that it is embarrassing.  So signing guys to build the depth wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  They can use the space they have this year to front load some of those contracts so that in the next 2-3 years we still have plenty of space available to bring in some big ticket players when they become available.  One thing I'm not concerned about is anything that's coming out of the media about the Jets.  It's all coming from agents right now.

12 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

These rumors also just screams “we’ll sit at 6 and see what falls to us”. 

Mac needs to get his head out of the bargain bin or else he’s heading for unemployment. 

This is surprising to me because I thought it was super obvious you need to go balls to the wall this year. Everyone is doing it (ha) now and it actually seems to be paying off for them (Eagles, Rams, etc.). It's not as risky as it used to be long term. Better than drafting projects every goddam year. 

I do believe this will be the year that breaks the camel's back. If they play it safe this offseason and it's more of the usual, a lot of people are done with this team and I don't blame anyone.  

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Instead of spending a lot of money on a few players, i think the strategy would shift to, spending that money for cheaper options on more players.  Fill more holes, b/c they're going to be trading draft picks to get a qb and therefore won't have picks to fill those spots.  So instead of drafting, say, Ronald jones in the 2nd round, they fill a spot with darkwa.  But i think mccagnan realizes that either he fixes the qb position or he is gone.  And i hope that means being aggressive and getting a real qb who can play year 1 and handle the mental and physical rigors of playing in New York.  And when you use those as criteria, it means darnold or Rosen.

One thing that concerns me about Darnold is that when he was asked about coming to the NFL and being a leader he said that he wouldn't know how to be a leader in the NFL until he does it.  That response doesn't strike me as him being confident in his leadership abilities.  You want a potential top overall selection to say that he can't wait to get to a team and be a leader.  The QB position demands that type of confidence.

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Im fine with Bradford, who when healthy is a very good QB...as long as we draft someone!!! 

agreed,.. but he is NEVER healthy... for Long         :unsure:     

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Agreed. We should be discussing a more likely scenario -- moving up to 3 (Indy), which will take roughly a high second and fourth. That's a very cheap price to pay even if Rosen and Darnold are gone to get Mayfield or Allen. If Cleveland goes Allen with the first, we're in play for Rosen or Darnold as well. That's a balanced approach that doesn't sell the farm. We would be still reasonably positioned in the draft with the later second still in our pocket. For the cost of a fourth we have a legitimate QB prospect. And we will have money to pick up some decent players in FA, not fillers.

In that scenario, Josh McCown makes sense as the vet bridge.

I think the cost to move up to 3 will explode of the Giants take Barkley instead of a QB.  Then we're looking at the price starting with a 2019 1st round pick b/c we wouldn't be the only suitors.  It would probably cost the later 2018 2nd, 2019 1st and a mid round pick in 2019 to move up to 3.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

If we’re signing Bradford or McCown and not drafting someone...then no I’m not on board. As longg as we draft someone I don’t care who sign short term.

9 minutes ago, kelly said:

agreed,.. but he is NEVER healthy... for Long         :unsure:     

Agreed. I think anywhere from half a season, to a season is the expectation. Get as many wins as you can with him, until rookie is ready and Bradford gets hurt again.

52 minutes ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I'd rather have him then bringing back McCown. The guy i'd really prefer is Bridgewater.

Obviously either Bradford or Teddy would have to pass a physical.

Actually I could easily live with McCown and a rookie QB for him to mentor. He's tough and you can't argue with his completion %.

4 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

Actually I could easily live with McCown and a rookie QB for him to mentor. He's tough and you can't argue with his completion %.

Here we go again fans jumping on the proven NFL loser QB bandwagon!!!!!!!  

As if it weren't enough with Ryan Fitzpatrick 2 seasons and Josh McCown last season. 

Year 4 Macc and Bowles and team still lacks a decent NFL QB. 

Enough with the stop gap, fill in, mentors!!!!!!!!!

Archived