A Zen Guide to QB Prospects and Not Emotionally Investing Anymore

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I think he goes to Minny. The Jets pick up Sam Bradford and draft Baker Mayfield. Bradford gets hurt, in comes Mayfield

I'd honesly rather McCown in 'the teacher' role. Yes, as much as I hated the signing last year, it makes sense this year as long as they take a QB at 6.

• Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, HessStation said:

I'd honesly rather McCown in 'the teacher' role. Yes, as much as I hated the signing last year, it makes sense this year as long as they take a QB at 6.

It really depends on what else they do in FA. Do they go out like Pauline said and throw money at Ryan Jensen or another player. The sense I'm getting from reports is that they are looking to shore up many positions instead of going after top FAs (which is what they did the first time)

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

I still feel this is the one of the strongest QB classes I can remember 

and im going to be pumped if we get any of the top 4

I think that's the only normal approach. I have my favorites but I'm not anti any of the top guys and will be excited for whoever we land. 

I don't get the guys that are already planning on hating Allen or Mayfield if we get them. 

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Pac said:

Your second point is where you lose me.  Bowles and Macc know that under no circumstances can sell this fan base and media anything but Cousins, a 6th pick QB, or moving up in the draft for Rosen, Darnold, Allen.

Pac, at approximately 7:42 PM on April 26th, 2018:

”You haters don’t think corners are important? Minkah Fitzpatrick led that team to multiple national championships and has the hardware to prove it. Learn the game, idiots. Mayfield was AREESTED.”

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It really depends on what else they do in FA. Do they go out like Pauline said and throw money at Ryan Jensen or another player. The sense I'm getting from reports is that they are looking to shore up many positions instead of going after top FAs (which is what they did the first time)

EVERY team in the NFL signs a starting caliber vet at EVERY position pre draft. This is basic, guarnteed stuff. 

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

”You haters don’t think corners are important? Minkah Fitzpatrick led that team to multiple national championships and has the hardware to prove it. Learn the game, idiots. Mayfield was AREESTED.”

I will say for the billionth time. The Jets are not drafting Minkah Fitzpatrick. He does not fit Bowles's style of CB.

• Thumb Down 1

44 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Darnold feels like a top 4 pick he probably won't be there either. some will call it superstitious but I want no part of a USC QB after Sanchez (and the other 11 soft prospects that have entered the league since Carson Palmer). 

Think about the dude who gets a full ride to play QB at USC. He's got all the cheerleaders, every day is bright and sunny and people tell you how great you are. You are surrounded by 5 star preps at left tackle and WR and it's helpful to be surrounded by a winning program. Even when you lose that one or two game a year, people are generally chill, bra, and there's always the pac 12 championship and the Rose bowl blah blah participation trophies.   

Darnold had a horrific O-line this year.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

Except at the combine where he has shown VASTLY improved footwork and accuracy.

At the combine.  Not during all those seasons of actual play vs. other players.  The term is "workout warrior" for a reason.

Why can't this guy be in the equation when he is showing an ability to improve?

One day at the combine =/= "improve".  

And he is in the equation, with plenty of folks discussing him as having leapfrogged "Suck for Sam" and Rosen as a possible #1.

With actual NFL-level coaching, this kid could be good.

Who exactly qualifies as "actual NFL Coaching" on the Jets on the Offensive side of the ball?  You presuming Bates?  

And this is coming from a guy that watched him miss throws on a Hackenberg level.

Surprising then that you don;t believe what you saw for years, only what you say for 20 minutes.

Our best hope is the MacCagnan gets caught screwing an intern (M or F) and is fired before April.  Then we hire a new GM who is given authority over Bowles.  This new GM drafts a QB and OL with the first 3 picks.  Bowles is then fired and we hire a new HC.  The scouts are replaced in July.  Chris and Woody decide to let the new GM and HC run the team.   

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

the prospect Warfish (and the internet) is the most wrong about is going to be Josh Allen 

He runs fast, he's bigger than everyone but Cam and Big Ben and he legit can throw 70 yard bombs. He was the alpha dog at workouts while Darnold watched. 

the reason why his completion percentage was garbage was because of throwaways and bomb attempts. He put that team on his back and tried to win. He didn't complete 7 out of 10 passes in a system and rely on his teammates like Baker Mayfield. He had no teammates. 

That being said I will take any of the top 4 and Lamar and greet it as an instant upgrade over the current roster.  Allen will go 1 or 2 and it won't be a discussion for the Jets at 6 

You've missed on top tier evaluations quite a bit Bit in our (now rather long) e-friendship. 

What gives someone confidence that Allen is not simply today's D-Rob?  Another workout warrior who didn't do it during the seasons well enough, and "won" his draft stock throwing in shorts without pads and with no opposition?

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

the real abomination is when the Jets pass on a QB because Bradley Chubb or Quenton Nelson is there and they are BPA. Mac loves BPA and those might be great players but they need to take some kind of swing at QB in the first round. if they don't might as well not watch until 2019. 

Agreed.  Even Zen cannot overcome the righteous fury if we have one of the top QB prospects in our sights, and Macc and Bowles go BAP i.e. Defense (again).

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I assume it's okay by you  for other Jets fans to have their preferences?

Absolutely!  :D

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

Or do we have to follow your let-the-chips-fall approach?

I may discuss a topic with you, but I would never want to force someone to think what I think.  If they come to it, they come to it.  B)

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

It makes perfect sense, mind you, just not going to happen with me or almost anyone else.  

Probably not with me either, tbqh.  :lol:

One thing we don't talk often enough about is our level of confidence in Jets management and coaching to both IDENTIFY and DEVELOP the right QB.  We can all have our opinions on whether Allen is better than Mayfield, Rosen is better than Darnold, or if Lamar Jackson will be better than all 4 of them, but it's these guys who have been PAID to work in the NFL for 25+ years and spend 60 hours per week evaluating talent that matter most.  And, I don't trust Macc to make the right pick.  He overpaid Fitzpatrick and drafted Petty and Hackenberg, hoping to go 1 for 2.  He is 0 for 3 years in trying to find a franchise QB.  And, even though he stockpiled money to make a potential run at Cousins, he doesn't even have the Jets looking pretty enough on offense to court the guy successfully.  Why on Earth would Kirk Cousins want to stand behind a swiss cheese offensive line with no Center, fake the handoff to Bilal Powell and try to hit Chad Hansen on a 10-yard out pattern when he can play on a team that was in the NFC Championship game and has tons of young offensive playmakers in guys like Stefon Diggs and Dalvin Cook?  Heck, even the Cardinals have Larry Fitzgerald lobbying Cousins to come to AZ and play with David Johnson.

The more I think about it I simply don't trust Macc to run this team and find a QB.  Thank goodness we don't have the #1 pick because we all know we'd end up with the worst of the Big 4....whoever that turns out to be.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Pac said:

He was the leader in preseason snaps at practice and overwhelming leader in snaps during the preseason games.  You don't give a guy all that work if you're not trying to get him ready to start.

sure you can!! we watched it.. if you're being intellectually honest, mccown (or any other vet JAG that might have been brought in) was going to be bowles' guy.. because in bowles' mind, mccown/or another vet JAG gave him the best chance to keep his damn job.. 5 meaningless wins later, mission accomplished!!  

Nfl.com loved Allen's combine, looks like we have a good chance to sit tight and get a guy, that's all I really want this year, plase no more McCown's...

I don't follow college, so just give me a new guy to root for

Josh Allen, QB, Wyoming: To the surprise of scouts in attendance, Allen was the best passer on the field Saturday. He not only showed exceptional range as a deep-ball thrower, but he was on point with his short and intermediate tosses, particularly out-breaking routes to the boundary. In addition, Allen displayed improved footwork and mechanics on his throws, which led to better accuracy and ball placement. While it is important to keep a T-shirts-and-shorts workout in perspective, this stellar outing from Allen will prompt some scouts to view the Wyoming product as the No. 1 quarterback prospect in the class, based on his physical dimensions and his limitless potential

1 hour ago, Flushing Roots said:

Here's what's going to happen:

Cousins is either going to the Vikings or the Broncos.

He said he wants to go to a team where he can win now.  The Vikings and the Broncos fit that bill.  Not the Browns and unfortunately not the Jets.

Darnold, Rosen and Allen will be picked before our pick.

Baker Mayfield will be the next QB of the New York Jets.

You heard it here first.

Fwiw, on ESPN radio yesterday they said that there were 10 teams who are intrigued by Mayfield enough to trade up (though obviously it'll depend on the cost).   I could easily see 4 QBs going off the board before we pick. 

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Fwiw, on ESPN radio yesterday they said that there were 10 teams who are intrigued by Mayfield enough to trade up (though obviously it'll depend on the cost).   I could easily see 4 QBs going off the board before we pick. 

Which is why we will need to trade up. We can't Just hope the guy we want will fall.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Which is why we will need to trade up. We can't Just hope the guy we want will fall.

Minkah WILL be there at 6.  We have g**d*** joke for a GM.  How are we all not seeing this?  The draft, as in years past, will be a BIG disappointment.  BPA is a ****ed strategy.  We have to get a new QB.  I wouldn't mind trading up, but our selection team is rotten to the core.

7 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The ONLY way I'd be able to stomach not getting a QB while staying at #6 would be if Barkley fell to the Jets.  I don't want to see Rosen, Allen, Darnold, Mayfield and Barkley all go ahead of us.  I like Bradley Chubb but man, it would be a huge letdown to miss out on Cousins AND all 4 of the top QBs.

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The ONLY way I'd be able to stomach not getting a QB while staying at #6 would be if Barkley fell to the Jets.  I don't want to see Rosen, Allen, Darnold, Mayfield and Barkley all go ahead of us.  I like Bradley Chubb but man, it would be a huge letdown to miss out on Cousins AND all 4 of the top QBs.

I'm a Penn State fan and getting Barkley would be a dream but missing out on all the QBs, including cousins, would be very very disappointing.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

There’s a zero percent chance the Jets take a QB in round 1 anyways. There’s no urgency, no accountability etc. 

It scares the living sh!t out of me that this is really plausible. Expect that Cousins will see the other 3 teams as way better options, followed by BAP GM Maccagnan passes on the QBs along with WENEEDTORUNMORE Bowles goes along. Neither of these guys answer to the absentee owner nor each other. Does not appear that anyone has the last say for  this franchise. They do not  get without a young serious QB, this team is flying into the mountainside at top speed.

Among my circle of fans and former season ticketholders, this is it. Not sure anyone at Florham Park gets this; they are beyond a joke. They do things like 2 safeties that make no sense like they have some secret to win games . Passing on Watson, Watt and Mahomes last year to take a safety should have gotten people  not only fired. but blackballed. Anyone involved in that decision needs to go sell hot dogs or insurance or anything else not involving NFL football.  But once the games starts, again, the defense sucks and the offense is so historically bad that other teams take it easy. 

Why do I care about a franchise that appears to make a point of doing industrial strength stupid things every year? Despite decades of drafting defense, there's neither a shutdown corner nor an edge pass rusher. The coach, he of punting down 2 scores late in games, thinks you can win NFL games in 2018 13-7. There is no QB, there is no LT, the offense is yearly a noncombatant 3 and out/turnover machine. 

There has to be some change, a break, a pivot to trying to have a QB who is the cornerstone of a serious passing offense. Sadly the coach and GM give me zero confidence they get this. And assuming they babble again about BAP come draft night,  I'll be hate-watching only again. And probably checking out as a fan. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

IN 2 championship games, Fitzpatrick's name was barely called. Granted, he played in the SEC and was part of some great college teams. I'm not a huge NCAA fan, but the idea he's some super cover corner when they moved him back and forth b/t safety and CB is a joke. Fitzpatrick is the copout the morons that run this in their heart of hearts want to take. They want nothing to do with the responsibility of developing a QB, which is  the real disgrace. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

IN 2 championship games, Fitzpatrick's name was barely called. Granted, he played in the SEC and was part of some great college teams. I'm not a huge NCAA fan, but the idea he's some super cover corner when they moved him back and forth b/t safety and CB is a joke. Fitzpatrick is the copout the morons that run this in their heart of hearts want to take. They want nothing to do with the responsibility of developing a QB, which is  the real disgrace. 

If we end up with Fitzpatrick, I think we will all freak out. But a DB who's name is not mentioned is usually a good thing. When you see a DB getting mentioned it's usually because he is getting beat. 

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

the prospect Warfish (and the internet) is the most wrong about is going to be Josh Allen 

He runs fast, he's bigger than everyone but Cam and Big Ben and he legit can throw 70 yard bombs. He was the alpha dog at workouts while Darnold watched. 

the reason why his completion percentage was garbage was because of throwaways and bomb attempts. He put that team on his back and tried to win. He didn't complete 7 out of 10 passes in a system and rely on his teammates like Baker Mayfield. He had no teammates. 

That being said I will take any of the top 4 and Lamar and greet it as an instant upgrade over the current roster.  Allen will go 1 or 2 and it won't be a discussion for the Jets at 6 

the real abomination is when the Jets pass on a QB because Bradley Chubb or Quenton Nelson is there and they are BPA. Mac loves BPA and those might be great players but they need to take some kind of swing at QB in the first round. if they don't might as well not watch until 2019. 

No disrespect intended, but which games this year did he “put the team on his back and tried to win?”

When he has games of 154 yards, 131, 138, 70...

If he was any other position we would call him a work out warrior aka Vernon Gholston.  

I get the intrigue but three teams in the top 6 are going to draft a QB with elite accuracy and one team is going to draft a guy that has a long road ahead of him if he wants to make it.  And with our history of being completely unable to develop a QB with accuracy issues (Sanchez, Petty, Hack) there are no indication that this one will be any different.

But it does fit the NFL’s annual goal, having the Jets be the butt of jokes when it comes to the QB.

5733808A-E2A8-4DF2-9CE1-B0049C222568.png

8 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If we end up with Fitzpatrick, I think we will all freak out. But a DB who's name is not mentioned is usually a good thing. When you see a DB getting mentioned it's usually because he is getting beat. 

In the broadest sense, sure. But he is not Darrell Green/Revis/Deion in their primes. He's a solid defensive back in a sport where defensive backs do not have nearly the value of edge rushers to say nothing fof QBs or LTs. Pats seem to find DBs in free agency or late rounders from Rutgers. And this Jets franchise has taken  A LOT of DBs in the 1st round with really only Revis being worth it 

17 minutes ago, Bugg said:

I can see the way the Claiborne negotiations are panning out that this is the exact avenue they will be going come draft day.  

Their thinking is that if they take a QB at 6, their lack of quality at CB will prevent the team from matching last year’s win total thus getting both of them fired.

They can always say they didn’t like taking the 4th best QB at 6, rationalize that it cost too much to move up, hence the 10th consecutive #1 pick used on a defense where there are only 4 left.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

At the combine.  Not during all those seasons of actual play vs. other players.  The term is "workout warrior" for a reason.

One day at the combine =/= "improve".  

And he is in the equation, with plenty of folks discussing him as having leapfrogged "Suck for Sam" and Rosen as a possible #1.

Who exactly qualifies as "actual NFL Coaching" on the Jets on the Offensive side of the ball?  You presuming Bates?  

Surprising then that you don;t believe what you saw for years, only what you say for 20 minutes.

Got nothing to do with that Warfish; Kid had nobody to throw to at Wyoming, so that could have been some of the problem.  He is showing signs of wanting to improve.  The darling Sam Darnold didn't even throw, Rosen stunk, and Mayfield was okay.  Orlando Brown potentially threw away his 1st round status.  But Rosen took time to work on his mechanics and accuracy.  To me, that says a lot.

1 minute ago, CanadaSteve said:

Got nothing to do with that Warfish; Kid had nobody to throw to at Wyoming, so that could have been some of the problem.  He is showing signs of wanting to improve.  The darling Sam Darnold didn't even throw, Rosen stunk, and Mayfield was okay.  Orlando Brown potentially threw away his 1st round status.  But Rosen took time to work on his mechanics and accuracy.  To me, that says a lot.

Didn't Hack show signs that he wanted to improve?  I mean really poster, lol.