A Zen Guide to QB Prospects and Not Emotionally Investing Anymore

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I have a solution for this: When Allen comes in for his workout, line him up fifteen yards away from a tire swing. If he’s able to throw a football through the swing, we let Maccagnan draft him. But if he misses? We lock Maccagnan up in Abu Ghraib until minicamp starts.

I'd rather Josh Allen just pull a Luke Skywalker, run away to some bullsh*t island, and go into exile for 14 years.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

In all likelihood, we aren't getting Cousins, so no, I won't let myself get excited for that.  

I would love to land one of Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.  The problem is that Toddy Todd & the Dipsh*t Bunch decided that playing Josh McCown, in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year where we find out what we have in Petty or Hack, was a fantastic idea.  That got us 5 wins and, unfortunately for us, Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield will all likely be gone before we pick.  I'm not going to get excited for a trade up either because this team has failed to do it in 2 of Maccagnan's 3 drafts.  I mean sh*t, we missed out on Carson Wentz because Maccagnan didn't want to throw in a 3rd round pick, so excuse me for having zero faith in regards to the man being able to close a deal.

Going off my previous paragraph, anyone who believes Allen can gives us "our first real hope at the QB position in a decade" is an absolute fool blinded by green Kool-Aid and nauseating optimism.  It's actually beyond frustrating to see people talk about being excited for him because "Mel Kiper and members of the media have him as their No. 1 QB sooooo you have to like him better than anyone else you've suffered through".  No.  I would take Sanchez, Geno, Fitzpatrick, McCown, Petty, and Hackenberg back before drafting that overrated human trashcan any day of the week and twice on Sundays.  The vomit inducing part of this all is?  That is exactly who our GM is going to draft.  He's going to completely ignore the fact that he went through the whole big arm/no accuracy sh*t with Hackenberg and do it all over again with Josh Allen.  Only this time, it isn't going to be with a 2nd round pick.  It's going to be with a top 10 pick and it's going to stop us from drafting another QB for the next 4-5 years.

POTY

• Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, bitonti said:

the prospect Warfish (and the internet) is the most wrong about is going to be Josh Allen 

He runs fast, he's bigger than everyone but Cam and Big Ben and he legit can throw 70 yard bombs. He was the alpha dog at workouts while Darnold watched. 

the reason why his completion percentage was garbage was because of throwaways and bomb attempts. He put that team on his back and tried to win. He didn't complete 7 out of 10 passes in a system and rely on his teammates like Baker Mayfield. He had no teammates. 

That being said I will take any of the top 4 and Lamar and greet it as an instant upgrade over the current roster.  Allen will go 1 or 2 and it won't be a discussion for the Jets at 6 

the real abomination is when the Jets pass on a QB because Bradley Chubb or Quenton Nelson is there and they are BPA. Mac loves BPA and those might be great players but they need to take some kind of swing at QB in the first round. if they don't might as well not watch until 2019. 

Yeah.  It was all his teammates.  Had nothing to do with him routinely missing passes the my Grandmother could hit and only he and Hackenberg could miss.  You know, like these:ShockedUnrulyBushbaby-small.gifTallMetallicBuffalo-size_restricted.gif.cf64a990673df69ac23165f5aa1316b1.gifAdmiredFrightenedBlackwidowspider-small.gif.016d55a19b3416d90821693325d521ff.gif 

If you want the mother load of threads on Allen, here it is.  You can click this single tweet and follow it there:

It definitely had nothing to do with this little fun fact either:

IMG_20180304_202842.jpg

The only people who are going to be wrong on Allen, are the ones who live and die by the word "PoTeNtIaL"

Oh, here's one last bonus angle to show how bad one of those misses really was:

PersonalDeadlyHuemul-small.gif.bb1b91241cf9840484d9829f1d6314ba.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I can't wait for future installments of this.  The Zen guide to non play making box safeties and the Zen guide to tiny, slightly unstable inside linebackers are of particular interest to me.

Actually the op should just replace the word 'Zen' with 'Wishy washy' in the title.

It's his schtick and he's sticking to it.  It is better than his classic "Fitz is the Jet's best QB since Namath" thread and argument. Classic.

3 hours ago, Pcola said:

To be honest, once all the panic over getting the right QB, there are several non-QB prospects that look elite.  Barkley, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, Nelson, Ward, Edmunds, etc.  

Pure opinion here but I see it differently.  Chubb and Fitzpatrick look very good but not elite.  In other years, neither would be likely be top at their position.  Nelson may be elite but he is, when all is said and done, an OG which is a non-premium position.  Not saying any of the QBs look can't-miss elite, but I'd rather swing and miss on a QB right now than chase 'almost-elite' at any other position.  Frankly, the only player besides Nelson that feels elite this year is Barkley.  

But again...that's how I see it for the moment.  But based on that...I will be disappointed with any defensive pick at 6.

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

I feel like there is nothing to gain getting behind a specific QB prospect now.

At the end of the day, I have no control over who gets picked (if anyone).

At the end of the day, I'm going to have to root for and try to like whomever we pick, because he'll be "our guy" then.

Getting really emotionally invested in a guy now seems like a sure path to disappointment.

Same way getting aggressively against a guy now seems like a path to bitterness when that guy inevitably winds up "our guy".

I vaguely like Mayfield, because he has spunk and would be fun to watch (it seems).  I have serious, material doubts as to all four top prospects potential at the NFL level: 

Darnold, could be another hyped-up turnover machine USC total bust a la Sanchez. 
Allen, Hack II levels of inaccurate.  A Jeff George Arm and not much else.  
Rosen, off field prioritized over on field, motivation and injury risks. 
Mayfield, height and translation of skills to the pro level.  College Rah Rah doesn't translate to Pros.
Jackson, "athlete", not a Quarterback (yet, if ever).
Rudolph, a poor man's Mayfield for 2nd Round also-rans.
Falk, boring and not enough to play at the big kids table.
Etc.

This feels like a draft where every option could be a bad option.  Or a good one, the kind of draft no one REALLY knows till after it's all said and done.

I feel that perhaps I should just Zen the **** out, and stop caring and obsessing.  And just roll with it.  It will be what it will be, we'll get who we get, and I'll root for them when the time comes to hopefully be a player who can play, can win, and not embarrass us.

All I know is we have to have a new QB.  I'm lighter on Hack than many here, and want to retain him and keep working on him (as the #3 till he proves otherwise), but the status Quo or worn out Vets and Hack/Petty cannot continue.  

So get us a guy.  I'm going to try to not worry about which guy.

This is where I am as well, good post. I am torn on the Cousins thing but I am not going to get real upset either way. I could make either case.

Out of the QB prospects I want Mayfield, since Darnold is out of reach. The others scare me and you listed the reasons why.

I think it is going to be Mayfield. But I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, jetgreen13 said:

with respect, i've been on jet boards for 13 years & i'm not all that familiar with your work or lack thereof.. i am familiar with you & your stance on this regime & the talent it's collected though..

bowles played a zero sum game that not only didn't get him fired, it got him an extension.. dance around that fact as much as you want.. what is, is, even when it doesn't fit our narratives..

I'm disappointed your not familiar with my earlier work...  I suggest going back to 2010 and running searches for my schtick during Sanchez 2 Electric Boogaloo.  I put on a virtuoso performance.

Anyway, I think your wrong and the scenario you promote as reality is absurd.

But that's ok...  varying opinions is what makes these boards interesting.

In a couple months perhaps you'll have a different opinion on what the future for the Jets holds.

14 hours ago, Warfish said:

Can every poor performing QB use that excuse, or just Allen?

Because it smells alot like the perennial excuse of bad QB's.  Geno Smith fans used it early and often here, for example.  

Great QB's make WR's.  WR's do not make great QB's.  JMO.

So do I, I don't think that validates drafting me in the top 5.  Hell. I can throw a football 50 yards too, albeit inaccurately.:lol:  

Don't want Darnold.  Don't want Rosen.  Mayfield has nothing to prove, his tape for years is vastly better than Allen's.  Just say'in.

He sure did.  Catastrophic performance.

You mean Allen?  

As stated, I said it COULD mean something that he has been working on the issues (in regards to Allen)

Its the off-season.  None of us work as scouts, or any other position in the NFL. The kid could suck.  All of them could suck...who knows?

All I stated in this thread was why CAN'T Allen be mentioned in the first round.  There has been lots of chatter he should not be, but the kid has the numbers, and he has the combine stats to show his numbers could put him in the first round.

If we were the team drafting him, I would hope he wouldn't start from day one.  Quite frankly, for (another) year of touting the best QB prospects, I don't think there are any here that should start from day one.  Of course, one of them will and turn out to be great, but can you honestly say you would feel 'Andrew Luck' comfortable starting any of these QB's from day one and feeling like they will succeed?

12 hours ago, Maxman said:

This is where I am as well, good post. I am torn on the Cousins thing but I am not going to get real upset either way. I could make either case.

Out of the QB prospects I want Mayfield, since Darnold is out of reach. The others scare me and you listed the reasons why.

I think it is going to be Mayfield. But I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride.

That is basically what I THINK I was trying to say?  All of them have interesting traits.  Darnold I just don't like because he is from USC....But hey, he could go on and be the first USC QB in decades to translate to success in NFL.  Rosen, who knows?  Baker, I was touting him from almost day one this season, but I am starting to wonder if there is enough talent behind all the ego.  Allen?  Kid has a ROCKET arm, and he can make plays with his feet.  But can the accuracy be cleared up enough?  Who knows with all of them.  As I said in the other post, would anyone feel 'Andrew Luck' confident with any of these rookies starting from day one? 

16 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Then I really don't want him on my team . If i'm going to be asking to be paid like one of the best QBs in football, I should be carrying the team on my back, not having the team carry me. You take Aaron Rodgers off the team and the packers are a sub-par team . That Washington team is a sub-par team with Kirk Cousins behind Center .  Ryan Fitzpatrick had a Kirk Cousins like season and the Jets didn't make the playoffs just like Washington hasn't . Josh McCown had a wonderful season and the Jets won 5 games . The Jets need to continue to build the team and let their QB come to them instead of chasing a dream . Personally, I trade down if the top QBs are gone and try to steal Connor Williams and Lamar Jackson . I would trade the 6th pick to Buffalo for both their 1st and more .

It's amazingly convenient for fans, who risk nothing themselves (certainly not their life's few remaining prime physical years, with a lifetime of potential regret thereafter), to ascribe cowardice for a player not wishing to languish on yet another team that's demonstrably run by losers who display little more than the Peter Principle. 

It frustrates me - as it should frustrate all Jets fans - that only a fool would desire QBing the 2018 Jets over the 2018 Vikings. Not to mention, the supposed allure of the NYC suburbs is probably worth zero to a small-town guy like Cousins, with more money than his great-grandchildren should imagine spending. As is the imaginary chest-thumping of "I'd get more credit for Jets' success than Vikings' success" goes away when they know how unlikely such success is on the Jets.

As far as GB, they were still only 4-3 with Rodgers (including an OT win). Even with Brees continuing his assault on NFL defenses, NO went 7-9 for 3 straight years (and 4 of 5 seasons prior to 2017); he didn't suddenly become a lesser QB or leader those years and then become better again this past year. If anything, the team success came from asking less of him, not more.

Singularly important as QB is, football isn't a 1-man sport, and Cousins - while he would obviously improve the position for the Jets - likely realizes that absent fully guaranteeing 4-5 years, the Jets have little to offer in comparison to other opportunities. 

14 hours ago, Mogglez said:

In all likelihood, we aren't getting Cousins, so no, I won't let myself get excited for that.  

I would love to land one of Rosen, Darnold, or Mayfield.  The problem is that Toddy Todd & the Dipsh*t Bunch decided that playing Josh McCown, in what was supposed to be a rebuilding year where we find out what we have in Petty or Hack, was a fantastic idea.  That got us 5 wins and, unfortunately for us, Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield will all likely be gone before we pick.  I'm not going to get excited for a trade up either because this team has failed to do it in 2 of Maccagnan's 3 drafts.  I mean sh*t, we missed out on Carson Wentz because Maccagnan didn't want to throw in a 3rd round pick, so excuse me for having zero faith in regards to the man being able to close a deal.

So we'll go from throwing in a 3rd round pick to throwing in a 3rd 1st round pick when we trade up to #1 this time around. Oh yeah, and then there's the small matter of the past 2 football seasons which wouldn't have been wasted. 

How does a GM of a QB-less team:

• add Hackenberg, Petty, Fitzpatrick, McCown
  • pass up opportunities to draft Wentz, Goff, Watson, Mahomes and (likely, when he was still 2nd string to RGIII) Cousins
  • have his team sitting just outside the catbird seats for drafting a QB, absent trading yet another 1st rounder and more to move up
  • plus a trash OL to protect whichever QB he does manage to add, as well as weak receiving options even when they manage to

and get an extension and public vote of confidence from ownership? I mean how the hell does that even happen? If that gets him an extension, what would have been cause for his dismissal? 

• Sympathy 1

17 hours ago, nycdan said:

I have a very simple framework for looking at this draft.  

In any order, one of the top-4 QBS.  If all gone, Barkley.  If all 5 gone (unlikely but my nightmare scenario) buy a Vikings and Jaguars jersey and see how the first few weeks pan out.

that's how it should go but I wonder if Rosen is even on their board 

I don't think Jet fans have to worry about McCagnan drafting Allen at 6. Unless McCagnan is drafting up for Allen, he simply will not last in the draft until 6. Bit. is right in terms of Allen's stock rising continually. Scouts love Allen, purportedly so does John Dorsey.

Post Indy Combine week here is how I see a a top QB prospect falling to 6.

The Browns go Barkley or a QB (Allen/Mayfield/Darnold) . I could possibly see them trading out of 4 if they pick a qb 1 with Barkley gone at 2 or 3, seems to me the only likely scenario to change one of the top five drafted players. If they go Barkley at one, it's a slam dunk that they pick a qb at four (Allen/Mayfield/Darnold). If they go qb one, Barkley is gone by 4. I doubt the Browns are picking Chubb at 4, they go with Minkah or an outside chance they trade down for an OT.

The Giants go qb (Darold/Allen) or Barkley if available. Mayfield does not strike me as a Giant, personality wise - too brash and prickly. Rosen's questions marks surrouding his personality and his limited pocket movement, combined with the Giants bad O line, seems like a bad fit.

Chris Ballard is not enthused about trading down, I don't see Indy trading out of three. The Colts get Chubb or Barkley, too much a reward to turn down.

Cousins going to Minnesota means Denver will definitely go qb. It's possible but I doubt Darnold will still be there at 5. I see Mayfield or Allen in Denver, whomever falls. In that scenario, my gut tells me he will pick either Mayfield or Allen over Rosen. They have seen Mayfield and Allen up close at the senior bowl, combined with the lackluster reports of Rosen from the combine, it's not a difficult decision for Elway. Allen also played his college ball 2 hours from Mile High, in a stadium almost 2000' elevation higher than Mile High Stadium; a big tough kid use to that weather.

Outside of Cleveland trading out of four, in alphabhetical order that leaves us  top five players going are...

Allen

Barkley

Chubb

Darnold

Mayfield

I see Rosen as likely falling to 6 unless Cleveland trade out of 4. 

Would the Jets pick Rosen if he falls to six ? Who the hell knows.

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

As stated, I said it COULD mean something that he has been working on the issues (in regards to Allen)

Its the off-season.  None of us work as scouts, or any other position in the NFL. The kid could suck.  All of them could suck...who knows?

Now you're where I am, excellent.  Zen!

All I stated in this thread was why CAN'T Allen be mentioned in the first round.  There has been lots of chatter he should not be, but the kid has the numbers, and he has the combine stats to show his numbers could put him in the first round.

I'd ignore the chatter, seems safe that Allen will be an upper 1st Round selection.

.....but can you honestly say you would feel 'Andrew Luck' comfortable starting any of these QB's from day one and feeling like they will succeed?

Nope.  

It' just a weird process. I'm not a college football fan but this past season I watched because the Jets stripped down the roster and figured let's watch these QBS because of he hype. So I watched and came away impressed with Jackson's play, so you start reading up how he's a hard worker and just a good kid and you start imagining how awesome he would be in green. I mean it's weird becaaue I'm rooting for Louisville. I have no affiliation with that school and as soon as Lamar declared I have no interest in what that school does going forward. 
Now the Jets are the only top ten team who didn't meet jackson at the combine. So it looks like zero interest in him. So he ends up on another team after I've been rooting for him for 1/2 a year. What if he ends up in the AFCE. I will be hoping he bombs everytime he plays the Jets.
We have no control over this. I personally don' like the other prospects as much as Jackson, I actually like Josh Allen second so that means I'm an idiot according to this board. But whoever the Jets take I will be rooting for that kid like crazy. Even though I didn't like him nearly as much as Jackson. 
It's a weird process maybe similar to fantasy football which I also don't do.

Could be a smoke screen.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Oh, by the way, on Sirius this morning they were saying that Allen was recently interviewed by the Phins, and when allen met Dan Marino, he said "nioce to meet you Mr. Elway".

So yeah, there is that.

When we introduce him  to Chad Pennington he will say 'Broadway Joe!!! nice to meet you!'

• Haha 3

23 hours ago, Pac said:

Just because you claim I was "100%" convinced doesn't make it true.

I said I was convinced, and still am, that we have a better chance than most on this board seem to think we do.  That seems to have been backed up by the report that Cousins is down to 4 teams and we're one of them.

You wanted Macc fired tomorrow if we didn't get Cousins.  Said it would basically be an awful botch job not getting him. 

That's basically the same. 

17 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I've pretty much swallowed the pill of reality that we're going to swing and miss on Cousins and draft Josh Allen at this point.  I'm just waiting for day 1 of the draft when we can make it official and I can finally check out mentally and emotionally on this franchise.  

We have 100 million dollars in CAP space and I can't even bring myself to care about free agency.  Like, at all.

I don't get it.... There MUST be SOME people in the building who feel the way many do about Allen; "ehhhh not sure about this guy"

Conventional wisdom says - we got snake bit by an inaccurate mess with no feel for the game -- so we should be the LEAST likely landing spot for Josh Allen - given the Hack-bust. 

How is it these conversations aren't happening? Call the fcking NYG and get that god damn pick. 

• Post of the Week 1

5 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I don't get it.... There MUST be SOME people in the building who feel the way many do about Allen; "ehhhh not sure about this guy"

Conventional wisdom says - we got snake bit by an inaccurate mess with no feel for the game -- so we should be the LEAST likely landing spot for Josh Allen - given the Hack-bust. 

How is it these conversations aren't happening? Call the fcking NYG and get that god damn pick. 

Because the two guys in charge have no idea what they're doing. Same can be said for Mauldin and Jenkins getting picked in the 3rd with their respective 3 cones. Or the coach getting to pick a safety at 6. Bowles is trying to build his Arizona defense through "the tape"

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Paradis said:

A team smart enough to have these kinds of conversations wouldn’t have drafted Hackenberg in the first place.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Dammit. That's an atomic truth bomb i wished you wouldn't have dropped.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It brought me no joy to drop it.

Do we take any comfort in believing Bates will have some say in the matter? 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Now you're where I am, excellent.  Zen!

I'd ignore the chatter, seems safe that Allen will be an upper 1st Round selection.

Nope.  

Yeah, I mean, I like to talk about this stuff, and I look into some of them, but when it comes down to it, we will all cheer for the guy in the uniform.

If they draft Allen, I hope he is more accurate.

If they draft Mayfield, I hope he matures in the NY market.

If they draft Rosen....etc etc.

Lets go sit in a garden and watch the flowers grow....

2 hours ago, Gangrene said:

I don't think Jet fans have to worry about McCagnan drafting Allen at 6. Unless McCagnan is drafting up for Allen, he simply will not last in the draft until 6. Bit. is right in terms of Allen's stock rising continually. Scouts love Allen, purportedly so does John Dorsey.

Post Indy Combine week here is how I see a a top QB prospect falling to 6.

The Browns go Barkley or a QB (Allen/Mayfield/Darnold) . I could possibly see them trading out of 4 if they pick a qb 1 with Barkley gone at 2 or 3, seems to me the only likely scenario to change one of the top five drafted players. If they go Barkley at one, it's a slam dunk that they pick a qb at four (Allen/Mayfield/Darnold). If they go qb one, Barkley is gone by 4. I doubt the Browns are picking Chubb at 4, they go with Minkah or an outside chance they trade down for an OT.

The Giants go qb (Darold/Allen) or Barkley if available. Mayfield does not strike me as a Giant, personality wise - too brash and prickly. Rosen's questions marks surrouding his personality and his limited pocket movement, combined with the Giants bad O line, seems like a bad fit.

Chris Ballard is not enthused about trading down, I don't see Indy trading out of three. The Colts get Chubb or Barkley, too much a reward to turn down.

Cousins going to Minnesota means Denver will definitely go qb. It's possible but I doubt Darnold will still be there at 5. I see Mayfield or Allen in Denver, whomever falls. In that scenario, my gut tells me he will pick either Mayfield or Allen over Rosen. They have seen Mayfield and Allen up close at the senior bowl, combined with the lackluster reports of Rosen from the combine, it's not a difficult decision for Elway. Allen also played his college ball 2 hours from Mile High, in a stadium almost 2000' elevation higher than Mile High Stadium; a big tough kid use to that weather.

Outside of Cleveland trading out of four, in alphabhetical order that leaves us  top five players going are...

Allen

Barkley

Chubb

Darnold

Mayfield

I see Rosen as likely falling to 6 unless Cleveland trade out of 4. 

Would the Jets pick Rosen if he falls to six ? Who the hell knows.

It does seem that way, but then again a lot can still change between now & the draft in terms of player stock.  But yeah, the way things look (based on leaks that may very well have no validity lol) at worst Cleveland trades down or takes another player #1 and then takes Allen at #4. 

Honestly I don't know what to make of any of these top 4 guys, having nothing to go by other than what others write. Even clips don't give you the same feel for situations and pressure they were in, and allow the viewer to be more easily swayed by the play results than solely the throws themselves. 

They all have traits that would lead a team to draft them and all have traits that cause teams to want to steer clear of them (or anyway, lots of teams' 1st choice might be an equal number of teams' 4th choice, with similar mixup in between). 

Should Cousins go to Minnesota, the mess it creates ahead of us may be too much for us to sit on our hands and hope for this or that guy to still be there at #6. Even if we have all 4 equally ranked (which is unlikely) and we'll therefore be equally happy no matter which we get (before hindsight results kick in), it's entirely possible there's a trade up to #3 or #4 from [Miami, Arizona, Buffalo] and Denver takes the 4th of the 4 just before us. 

I'd be surprised if Rosen lasted to #6 no matter what. Individuals' rankings aside, I have to believe we - or someone behind us - would trade up for him even before he fell to #5. But like you say, who the hell knows.

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

A team smart enough to have these kinds of conversations wouldn’t have drafted Hackenberg in the first place.

That's the catch. We have two idiots acting alone each reporting back to the little brother of the main idiot. Nobody to keep the idiots in check. Its like nobody ever talks to anyone else. Basically a big dysfunctional NFL marriage. We is the basturd children.

• Upvote 3

In terms of qbs, I have Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield as my top 3, and I have character issues with Rosen (he gives me Cutler vibes).  Allen and Jackson are massively overrated developmental prospects with a very high bust rate.  

If the Jets can't get one of the top 3 (if we can trade up do it), then I don't want to trade up for Allen or Jackson.   I prefer waiting another year for a number1 and rolling the dice on a later round prospect.

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It does seem that way, but then again a lot can still change between now & the draft in terms of player stock.  But yeah, the way things look (based on leaks that may very well have no validity lol) at worst Cleveland trades down or takes another player #1 and then takes Allen at #4. 

Honestly I don't know what to make of any of these top 4 guys, having nothing to go by other than what others write. Even clips don't give you the same feel for situations and pressure they were in, and allow the viewer to be more easily swayed by the play results than solely the throws themselves. 

They all have traits that would lead a team to draft them and all have traits that cause teams to want to steer clear of them (or anyway, lots of teams' 1st choice might be an equal number of teams' 4th choice, with similar mixup in between). 

Should Cousins go to Minnesota, the mess it creates ahead of us may be too much for us to sit on our hands and hope for this or that guy to still be there at #6. Even if we have all 4 equally ranked (which is unlikely) and we'll therefore be equally happy no matter which we get (before hindsight results kick in), it's entirely possible there's a trade up to #3 or #4 from [Miami, Arizona, Buffalo] and Denver takes the 4th of the 4 just before us. 

I'd be surprised if Rosen lasted to #6 no matter what. Individuals' rankings aside, I have to believe we - or someone behind us - would trade up for him even before he fell to #5. But like you say, who the hell knows.

It's fun to speculate where they might fall. Agreed it is hard to definitively to seperate the top qbs because they are so different in terms of qualities and drawbacks. I totally understand how Buffalo or Miami would trade up for Rosen or the others but even if Denver lands Case Keenum, I can't see Denver trading out unless they beat the Vikings to Cousins. They need to swing again at quarterback too badly. The Colts maybe but presuming that either Barkley or Chubb fall to three it makes too much sense for the Colts to take one. The Browns at 4 is the biggest candidate to trade out but if they pick Barkley at 1, the are going qb at four.

• Sympathy 1