Report Claims Jets Have Spoken to Cousins Camp, Fear he’s Heading to Vikes

JetNation

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

true.  it seems probably that either the browns or giants end up with barkley, esp. if indy trades out.  

Agreed. If Cleveland's draft grades for Allen, Rosen, and Darnold are similar then it makes sense to take Barkley at #1, because it guarantees that one of the three QBs will be there at #4.

Barkley isn't making it past #4 no matter what. It's virtually guaranteed that he won't.

10 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Thank you, Henny Penny.

What you did is not a "rephrase", it is a correction of your mistake.

If we are being factual.

It’s like when people call you a “penis.” No one is referring to you as a literal “penis.” It’s just colloquial speech. 

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The first problem is that the Giants and Browns may have zero interest in trading down. The Giants and Browns may already know they are taking QBs or Barkley and just feeding the media nonsense about possibly trading back.

The second problem is that the Giants would never trade with the Jets to give them a chance at  franchise QB that, should he pan out, will haunt the Giants for a decade. 

Neither Cleveland or the Giants are trading out.  Cleveland is most certainly taking a QB, probably the Giants too...if not it's Barkley but they aren't leaving a talent like Barkley on the table if they're not taking a QB.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

It’s like when people call you a “penis.” No one is referring to you as a literal “penis.” It’s just colloquial speech. 

The problem is that the colloquial meaning may be mixed up. If you call somebody a big penis, you might be trying to insult them, but it might actually be a compliment

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

If you really think about it, nothing here needs to be factual. As long as it can be used to sway dialogue, all good. 

And, I kind of DO think GMs worry about cap space. Do YOU care about it? Or is it something you will always give any GM leniency on?

Asking for a friend.

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

the reality of this gives me pause, I know it makes sense for a midwest kid to prefer the midwest team, add the talent and the Vikings seem like a perfect fit, on the other hand the Jets options are not good without Cousins

Bridgewater is possibly the best option at only 25 but health questions are valid

A.J. McCarron had a few decent games in 2015 but probably headed to Browns to reunite with HC

Keenum looked good at times last year but could revert to form without Shurmur, former Vikings OC now vagiant HC and Stefanski Vikings QB coach on lockdown

McCown and Fitz are FA again - surprising no one (repeat of the last few years anyone?)

Bradford took $114m from NFL teams to date, but has never taken a team to the playoffs, don't think he has even played an entire 16 game season and is on the downside of his career  

and the Jets pick 6th in a draft with 2-3 top QB's and 2-3 other QB's who are even more of a gamble...  options are trade up, reach, trade down or hope for Chubb or Barkley and a second round QB (sounds familiar)

this sucks

The bold I stay away from for the reasons mentioned. I don't believe in Keenum, and Bridgewater never showed anything as a starter that makes me believe in him as a franchise QB (plus knee ?'s). 

I stay away from McCown and his old, underachieving self. (Wasted enough years on bad QB's)

I also stay away from Bradford... unless he is coming super cheap (but then we better draft a top QB not named Allen)

McCarron I am on the fence with, I just don't know if I would sign him without still drafting a top QB (Mike Glennon like signing - possibly a 1 year throw away).

19 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

100% agree.  The Jets cannot stand pat at #6 and expect to get the #3 QB on the board.  If the Vikings land Cousins, Denver is going to likely take a QB and there are plenty of rumors indicating other QB needy teams (Arizona, Buffalo) are looking to trade up, which means the Jets would also have to trade up in front of Denver at the very least to get one of the top 3 QB's.  I know I sound like a broken record, but it will be career suicide for Mac to stand pat at 6 if he plans on taking a QB. 

Chris Ballard (Colts GM) trying to reach Mac on the phone  to discuss trading up to #3.  Gets Bowles instead.

18 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

100% agree.  The Jets cannot stand pat at #6 and expect to get the #3 QB on the board.  If the Vikings land Cousins, Denver is going to likely take a QB and there are plenty of rumors indicating other QB needy teams (Arizona, Buffalo) are looking to trade up, which means the Jets would also have to trade up in front of Denver at the very least to get one of the top 3 QB's.  I know I sound like a broken record, but it will be career suicide for Mac to stand pat at 6 if he plans on taking a QB. 

A trade my not be available.  I don't see Indy passing on Barkley and can't see Cleveland at 4 passing on Chubb.  

With that said if 1-4 goes without a trade then the Jets are fine sitting at 6.  Frankly, that's the best case scenario.  Lucikly it's playing out that there are two elite prospects - that had a great combine - then should make it tough for these guys to pass up.  

Maybe you have to move up 1 spot - but that should only cost you one of the 2's or maybe a 3rd.

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I still think he's going to be a Jet - might be leaking that to push back on Cousins camp.  Cousin's camp may very well be using the Vikings to up the Jet's price.  

If Cousins is going after the biggest paycheck, which I still believe he is, he pretty much knows he's going to the Jets and it's just a matter of how much he can get out of them. 

if Kirk Cousins is that much of a crass capitalist that he's going to squeeze every dollar out of the highest bidder, why do you still want him? 

the football gods hate that s==t

18 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

Agreed. If Cleveland's draft grades for Allen, Rosen, and Darnold are similar then it makes sense to take Barkley at #1, because it guarantees that one of the three QBs will be there at #4.

Barkley isn't making it past #4 no matter what. It's virtually guaranteed that he won't.

Their draft grades couldn't possibly be the same - Cleveland will take a QB with #1 and the Giants will also take a QB.  You just don't have the #2 pick very often.  I can see the Giants going Allen - give him a year, maybe two under Eli.

15 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The problem is that the colloquial meaning may be mixed up. If you call somebody a big penis, you might be trying to insult them, but it might actually be a compliment

Unless you conflate that with the saying "you are what you eat".  Then...well...it gets messy.

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

if Kirk Cousins is that much of a crass capitalist that he's going to squeeze every dollar out of the highest bidder, why do you still want him? 

First, I don't want him.  I think it's a mistake but I do believe it's happening.  Nothing wrong with a guy getting the most money he can - I certainly would be trying to get the most money I could.

Too many people keep saying he has enough money - people ALWAYS want more.  $5mm to $10mm is A LOT of money no matter who you are.  He's not leaving $5mm to $10mm on the table - if the Jets are, as I've heard from multiple rumors, offering that much more...he's going to take it.  I can't blame him.  Wish he wouldn't.

16 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

If you really think about it, nothing here needs to be factual. As long as it can be used to sway dialogue, all good. 

And, I kind of DO think GMs worry about cap space. Do YOU care about it? Or is it something you will always give any GM leniency on?

Asking for a friend.

It is my blood-sworn creed to inhabit a laissez-faire attitude toward the cap.

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

“Kirk, I know the Vikings are offering you $80 mil guaranteed and the Jets are offering $90 mil guaranteed, but I’ll give you $90 million and one dollars to chop your right arm off with this steak knife.”

Kirk: “Well, money is money.”

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

would be a hoot if the cousins camp is playing the vikings to get the jets to up the ante, when the jets would basically write the guy a blank check to begin with.

Yeah, there’s no need to play chess with the Jets. If they lose out on Cousins, and everyone gets fired, Maccagnan never sniffs another GM job in his life, and Bowles gets confined to being a DB coach until he retires. Kacy Rodgers will be selling Hyundai’s, and Jeremy Bates goes back into the woods.

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

First, I don't want him.  I think it's a mistake but I do believe it's happening.  Nothing wrong with a guy getting the most money he can - I certainly would be trying to get the most money I could.

Too many people keep saying he has enough money - people ALWAYS want more.  $5mm to $10mm is A LOT of money no matter who you are.  

going from $0.00 to $5,000,000.00 is enormous, do anything, morality be damned amount of money.

going from $5M to 10M is pretty damn great too and not a joke. 

going from 140 to 150 has to be like.... eh?  I guess I should care? why does it take this extra car battery for me to feel anything? let's start a fight club to feel alive. 

not that I know first hand. But having worked in finance for a decade ive seen it enough. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, there’s no need to play chess with the Jets. If they lose out on Cousins, and everyone gets fired, Maccagnan never sniffs another GM job in his life, and Bowles gets confined to being a DB coach until he retires. Kacy Rodgers will be selling Hyundai’s, and Jeremy Bates goes back into the woods.

a great cast of characters to trust with handing out 100 million dollars to a balding mercenary

Kirk Cousins is going to build a monorail in Florham Park  

6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

going from $0.00 to $5,000,000.00 is enormous, do anything, morality be damned amount of money.

going from $5M to 10M is pretty damn great too and not a joke. 

going from 140 to 150 has to be like.... eh?  I guess I should care? why does it take this extra car battery for me to feel anything? let's start a fight club to feel alive. 

not that I know first hand. But having worked in finance for a decade ive seen it enough. 

At some point you go from trying to win the game to just running up the score.

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

This is BS. If the Jets spoke to the Cousins camp prior to 3/12, then they are tampering. Couisins is still exclusive property of the Redskins.

Plenty of people will tell you that there is always tampering, especially at the combine

54 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Neither Cleveland or the Giants are trading out.  Cleveland is most certainly taking a QB, probably the Giants too...if not it's Barkley but they aren't leaving a talent like Barkley on the table if they're not taking a QB.

I don't think that's true. I honestly see Cleveland taking Barley 1. He is head & shoulders above any player in this draft & they will still have the opportunity to select QB at 4 (I think this scenario becomes an even greater reality if they sign McCarron).

The giants are then left w/ a dilemma. They have a roster that is built to win now that needs additions here & there, especially along the O-line. Do they take a QB & hope to develop him while wasting 2-3 years of some of their talented players? They could take the Guard Nelson who would help solidify their offense & allow them to make a run w/ Eli for the next 3-4 years. They are in a tougher spot than people think. Especially if you consider the poor combine Chubb had, if the Giants tried to get cute & trade w/ Denver & move to 5 they could lose out on Nelson to the Colts who also need o-line help.

All this could work out in our favor if we do lose out on Cousins like it is starting to sound. We might be able to trade up to 3 w/ the Colts & wind up with either the 1st or 2nd QB off the board.

The pessimist in  me can't help but believe that the Jets are considered a final four team just to drive the price up.   I do think Kirk will take a meeting and hear them out b/c of the cap space but I don't see how we can compete with Minnesota if they're even close on money.  With that being said, I really hope if we miss out Macc doubles down at QB by signing Bridgewater and drafting a QB.  I have no interest in bringing McCown back, nothing against the guy but he's not the future, if they like him so much as a mentor offer the QB coach job.  Bring in Bridgewater/McCarron/Tyrod and draft a QB and let them battle it out.

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

The best RB prospect in years is still RB. it goes QB/QB at the top. Anything less would be uncivilized 

Except it doesn't. The QBs this year all have their issues. Cle has the luxury of owning 2 of the top 4 picks. They can easily knock it out of the park w/ a Barkley & Allen/Rosen/Dnarold/Mayfield combo.

The Giants have the luxury of a future HOF QB along w/ win now talent on their roster. If Cle does go QB, Barkley will go to the Giants @ 2

Archived