Report Claims Jets Have Spoken to Cousins Camp, Fear he’s Heading to Vikes

JetNation

17 minutes ago, SMC said:

Not the end of the world, combined with the reports that the Giants will do the idiot thing and draft Barkley at 2.  If Allen goes 1, Darnold and Rosen are there for the pickings in a trade with the Colts.

2 acceptable scenarios that can be sold to the fan base:

• Cousins
  • McCown + Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, or Jackson

I don't see the point of signing Mccaron or any of the Vikings rejects.  McCown is intimately familiar with Bates, can impart all his wisdom to a rookie, can be a very good backup, and start if need be until the rookie is up to speed.  

This shouldn't be, and I don't think really is, a difficult decision for Macc.

If he doesn't get Cousins and passes on a QB at 6, I'll paypal my share for the billboard(s).

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Pac said:

2 acceptable scenarios that can be sold to the fan base:

• Cousins
  • McCown + Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, or Jackson

I don't see the point of signing Mccaron or any of the Vikings rejects.  McCown is intimately familiar with Bates, can impart all his wisdom to a rookie, can be a very good backup, and start if need be until the rookie is up to speed.  

This shouldn't be, and I don't think really is, a difficult decision for Macc.

If he doesn't get Cousins and passes on a QB at 6, I'll paypal my share for the billboard(s).

Well said.

27 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Jets and Browns dont'e even have that. If you like Barkley running into a mess of 8 ma fronts, by all means, good luck with that 1.5 yards per, a cloud of FieldTurf pellets and 3rd and long desperation heaves all day.

FAN : Rumor afoot that Philly has an offer from an AFC team of a 2nd rounder for Big Dick Nick(speaking of penises). If the Jets aren't on the phone, or fvck it, on the GSP to Philly with a fruit bsket and a 2 and a 3, they should to be. 

I bet it’s the Bills or Broncos.

6 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I think it's going to be the Vikings. It makes the most sense.

They said AFC team and I’m actually starting to worry that is is US. We could have a deal lined up for Foles if Cousins goes to Minnesota. We do have two 2nd round picks. But the decision has come down to two teams. Jets and Vikings.

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

They said AFC team and I’m actually starting to worry that is is US. We could have a deal lined up for Foles if Cousins goes to Minnesota. We do have two 2nd round picks. But the decision has come down to two teams. Jets and Vikings.

I gather Cousins is looking for that $60 mil in first year from the Jets as the media speculated.

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

SIGN THIS BEAST

Just now, Patriot Killa said:

Idk man.. a team that just played in the NFCCG....or the Jets?

That's why it would make perfect sense to use them as a patsy. Really, there has no been report that the Vikings have been interested in Cousins. We've heard the Jets and Broncos express interest, but not Minny.

8 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Now I wonder if Cousins' camp is blowing smoke about Minny in order to get the Jets to pay more

I think they have interest, but they can't afford him. Trading for Foles makes more sense for them.

Something I read off of Jetswire.com

Kirk Cousins is set to rock the boat with a record-breaking free agent contract when the new league year officially begins on Mar. 14 and the Minnesota Vikings and New York Jets are reportedly the top two teams that it will come down to for his services.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora believes that the Jets hold the upper hand and that it means Case Keenumand Teddy Bridgewater are very much still in play for the Vikings.

"If in the end the Jets put something like $50M in the first year of a new contract that will be difficult for anyone to walk away from. Money always talks," La Canfora writes. "Keenum back to the Vikings (possibly along with Bridgewater) continues to make a lot of sense to me, as would (Tyrod) Taylor to the Broncos and (AJ) McCarron or (Sam) Bradford to the Cardinals (who are very interested in drafting a quarterback high in this draft). Drew Brees back to the Saints have long seemed like a done deal."

4 hours ago, JiF said:

I see your point, to me it just reeks of a kid with hurt feelings.  If they take their ball and run, I guess I could see where that leaves the Vikings negotiating with Cousins alone but I dont see how crying and kick their feet is going to turn Kirk on.  I huge check I guess could but who knows, dude has made a ton of money the past few years and the biggest check might not be his priority. 

JIF you are going a bit far based on a rumor

Kirk Cousins is set to rock the boat with a record-breaking free agent contract when the new league year officially begins on Mar. 14 and the Minnesota Vikings and New York Jets are reportedly the top two teams that it will come down to for his services.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora believes that the Jets hold the upper hand and that it means Case Keenumand Teddy Bridgewater are very much still in play for the Vikings.

"If in the end the Jets put something like $50M in the first year of a new contract that will be difficult for anyone to walk away from. Money always talks," La Canfora writes. "Keenum back to the Vikings (possibly along with Bridgewater) continues to make a lot of sense to me, as would (Tyrod) Taylor to the Broncos and (AJ) McCarron or (Sam) Bradford to the Cardinals (who are very interested in drafting a quarterback high in this draft). Drew Brees back to the Saints have long seemed like a done deal."

Not sure how much I believe La Confora, he's been screaming Cousins is Jets bound for a long time now, at this point I think he just wants to be right or wants a big market to click on his articles

It's basically in the Vikings court to see if they can come close to the Jets offer. If they do, then he should go to Minny. If they don't, then he's gonna come here.

I've gone back and forth on this and in the end I think they should sign him just for the fact that for the first time in forever, the question of who will be the QB for the Jets will be answered and won't have to be dealt with in the offseason.

4 hours ago, JiF said:

Where did this come from?  Rumors?  I think Mac is total moron but leaking this is just stupid.  It reeks of insecurity and desperation and just makes this place even more less desirable than it already was. 

1 minute ago, Smashmouth said:

JIF you are going a bit far based on a rumor

Agreed...which is why I asked but lets be real with ourselves, the Jets arent landing Kirk Cousins. 

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Agreed...which is why I asked but lets be real with ourselves, the Jets arent landing Kirk Cousins. 

They might not be landing Cousins and if that's the case I say competition between Hack and Rosen which Rosen will probably win. I have absolutely no Interest in Bridgewater who is way way over hyped, Keenum, Bradford, and whatever other Clown may be available.

As discussed before, the reason that the Jets can afford to pay Cousins is because the roster has so few players on it worth paying.  

Cousins only wants a 3 year deal, so he can reset in three years.  Fine. Sign him, front load the contract, save the draft picks, sign a center and maybe a guard (can draft Nelson too, if he is there), and start looking to draft Cousins' replacement.  

4 hours ago, Dcat said:

ugh.  I want one of the top 4 QB prospects.  Not Jackson.  It's high time for the Jets to make the move.  

I keep saying, the spot to trade to is #3 (Indy). The cost of going higher is too great and I agree that the Giants would be very very unlikely traders with the Jets for a QB. I also think that the best fit for the Giants at QB would be Allen. He would have time to develop behind Eli and has probably the highest ceiling of the four (I know I'll get flack for saying that, but it's a statement about potential not his productivity in college). It would be very interesting if, as recent rumors are suggesting, the Browns go for Mayfield at #4 and take Barkley #1 overall. If the Jets trade up to #3 they would get Rosen of Darnold.

Also, I believe that the Broncos will go hard for a free agent vet, even if they don't get Cousins, which might make their #4 pick available for trade down. Meaning the Jets HAVE TO trade up.

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I keep saying, the spot to trade to is #3 (Indy). The cost of going higher is too great and I agree that the Giants would be very very unlikely traders with the Jets for a QB. I also think that the best fit for the Giants at QB would be Allen. He would have time to develop behind Eli and has probably the highest ceiling of the four (I know I'll get flack for saying that, but it's a statement about potential not his productivity in college). It would be very interesting if, as recent rumors are suggesting, the Browns go for Mayfield at #4 and take Barkley #1 overall. If the Jets trade up to #3 they would get Rosen of Darnold.

Also, I believe that the Broncos will go hard for a free agent vet, even if they don't get Cousins, which might make their #4 pick available for trade down.

let's say darnold/barkley go 1/2.  let's also say cousins is a viking.  if the broncos have keenum, is elway going to go for broke to get rosen or allen?  i don't think cleveland is trading out of 4, they have enough picks.  so the 2 spots to trade into are 3 and 5, if elway doesn't want to draft a qb.  sadly i can see a situation where rosen or allen is slipping and mccagnan has to trade with denver just to ensure elway doesn't make a deal with someone like tanny.

the reality of this gives me pause, I know it makes sense for a midwest kid to prefer the midwest team, add the talent and the Vikings seem like a perfect fit, on the other hand the Jets options are not good without Cousins
Bridgewater is possibly the best option at only 25 but health questions are valid
A.J. McCarron had a few decent games in 2015 but probably headed to Browns to reunite with HC
Keenum looked good at times last year but could revert to form without Shurmur, former Vikings OC now vagiant HC and Stefanski Vikings QB coach on lockdown
McCown and Fitz are FA again - surprising no one (repeat of the last few years anyone?)
Bradford took $114m from NFL teams to date, but has never taken a team to the playoffs, don't think he has even played an entire 16 game season and is on the downside of his career  
and the Jets pick 6th in a draft with 2-3 top QB's and 2-3 other QB's who are even more of a gamble...  options are trade up, reach, trade down or hope for Chubb or Barkley and a second round QB (sounds familiar)
this sucks

Trade up only option

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

the reality of this gives me pause, I know it makes sense for a midwest kid to prefer the midwest team, add the talent and the Vikings seem like a perfect fit, on the other hand the Jets options are not good without Cousins
Bridgewater is possibly the best option at only 25 but health questions are valid
A.J. McCarron had a few decent games in 2015 but probably headed to Browns to reunite with HC
Keenum looked good at times last year but could revert to form without Shurmur, former Vikings OC now vagiant HC and Stefanski Vikings QB coach on lockdown
McCown and Fitz are FA again - surprising no one (repeat of the last few years anyone?)
Bradford took $114m from NFL teams to date, but has never taken a team to the playoffs, don't think he has even played an entire 16 game season and is on the downside of his career  
and the Jets pick 6th in a draft with 2-3 top QB's and 2-3 other QB's who are even more of a gamble...  options are trade up, reach, trade down or hope for Chubb or Barkley and a second round QB (sounds familiar)
this sucks

Trade up only option

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived