Jump to content

Report Claims Jets Have Spoken to Cousins Camp, Fear he’s Heading to Vikes


JetNation

Recommended Posts

IMG_1664-1.jpg

Take this one for what it’s worth, but Ralphy Vacchiano of SNY is reporting that the Jets have spoken to the representatives for Kirk Cousins and fear he’s heading to the land of a thousand lakes in Minnesota, instead of taking a bit out of the Big Apple.  Per league rules, any such discussions would be prohibited, but as Vacchiano and others have insinuated over the years, these things happen all the time.

The fact that such conversations would take place should come as no surprise.  To believe a credible source within the organization would leak such information to the media should draw plenty of scepticism.

Even still, Cousins to the Vikings is what makes the most sense at the moment, so as the off-season unfolds, Jets fans will likely get a chance to see what the team’s “Plan B” is, if and when Cousins heads to Minnesota.

 

 

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
JIlU4E1GVXI

Click here to read the full story...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the reality of this gives me pause, I know it makes sense for a midwest kid to prefer the midwest team, add the talent and the Vikings seem like a perfect fit, on the other hand the Jets options are not good without Cousins

Bridgewater is possibly the best option at only 25 but health questions are valid

A.J. McCarron had a few decent games in 2015 but probably headed to Browns to reunite with HC

Keenum looked good at times last year but could revert to form without Shurmur, former Vikings OC now vagiant HC and Stefanski Vikings QB coach on lockdown

McCown and Fitz are FA again - surprising no one (repeat of the last few years anyone?)

Bradford took $114m from NFL teams to date, but has never taken a team to the playoffs, don't think he has even played an entire 16 game season and is on the downside of his career  

and the Jets pick 6th in a draft with 2-3 top QB's and 2-3 other QB's who are even more of a gamble...  options are trade up, reach, trade down or hope for Chubb or Barkley and a second round QB (sounds familiar)

this sucks

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

Good.  Then Mac should be burning the midnight oil every day until the draft to figure out how to trade up into the top 2. 

The first problem is that the Giants and Browns may have zero interest in trading down. The Giants and Browns may already know they are taking QBs or Barkley and just feeding the media nonsense about possibly trading back.

The second problem is that the Giants would never trade with the Jets to give them a chance at  franchise QB that, should he pan out, will haunt the Giants for a decade. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The first problem is that the Giants and Browns may have zero interest in trading down. The Giants and Browns may already know they are taking QBs or Barkley and just feeding the media nonsense about possibly trading back.

The second problem is that the Giants would never trade with the Jets to give them a chance at  franchise QB that, should he pan out, will haunt the Giants for a decade. 

couldn't agree more with this statement.  Ive been saying and thinking this for months now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, JiF said:

Where did this come from?  Rumors?  I think Mac is total moron but leaking this is just stupid.  It reeks of insecurity and desperation and just makes this place even more less desirable than it already was. 

I still think he's going to be a Jet - might be leaking that to push back on Cousins camp.  Cousin's camp may very well be using the Vikings to up the Jet's price.  

If Cousins is going after the biggest paycheck, which I still believe he is, he pretty much knows he's going to the Jets and it's just a matter of how much he can get out of them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Where did this come from?  Rumors?  I think Mac is total moron but leaking this is just stupid.  It reeks of insecurity and desperation and just makes this place even more less desirable than it already was. 

it weakens any leverage cousins has in negotiations.  if it's down to the jets and vikings but the jets 'know' that cousins wants to go to a better team and the jets don't fit that description, then if the jets stop bidding the vikings are left negotiating against themselves.  i know it's a bit of a stretch but maybe mccaganan won't allow cousins to use the jets as leverage for these other teams.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I still think he's going to be a Jet - might be leaking that to push back on Cousins camp.  Cousin's camp may very well be using the Vikings to up the Jet's price.  

If Cousins is going after the biggest paycheck, which I still believe he is, he pretty much knows he's going to the Jets and it's just a matter of how much he can get out of them. 

Not feeling it like but I agree with the second part of your post. This is the time of year where you  hear tons of misinformation. Even if the Jets are out of the running, they may not want to be used by Cousins to jack up the price. We recently  heard the Broncos were moving on from Cousins (who knows if that's true) because if teams get the sense they are being played they are better off just bailing. 

I really want Cousins, but if guys like Keenum/Bridgewater/Bradford start inking deals with other clubs while we wait for Cousins to make a decision that could leave us stuck with another year of Mccown (until whatever rookie we draft is ready). I don't love the Vikings guys, but do we really want another year of Mccown? At least Keenum/Bridgewater/Bradford would be a little more fun to watch this year while the rookie gets ready. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The second problem is that the Giants would never trade with the Jets to give them a chance at  franchise QB that, should he pan out, will haunt the Giants for a decade. 

I just don't think this is true.  If the Giants got a really good offer they were comfortable with that gave them enough extra picks which would help their new GM build his team, I think they would trade with the Jets. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ChuckkieB said:

I just don't think this is true.  If the Giants got a really good offer they were comfortable with that gave them enough extra picks which would help their new GM build his team, I think they would trade with the Jets. 

maybe, but how would it look if the giants are the team that helps the jets get that QB?  Its like the Yankees giving the mets a player that finally gets them that title.  They wouldn't.  I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I still think he's going to be a Jet - might be leaking that to push back on Cousins camp.  Cousin's camp may very well be using the Vikings to up the Jet's price.  

If Cousins is going after the biggest paycheck, which I still believe he is, he pretty much knows he's going to the Jets and it's just a matter of how much he can get out of them. 

 

13 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

it weakens any leverage cousins has in negotiations.  if it's down to the jets and vikings but the jets 'know' that cousins wants to go to a better team and the jets don't fit that description, then if the jets stop bidding the vikings are left negotiating against themselves.  i know it's a bit of a stretch but maybe mccaganan won't allow cousins to use the jets as leverage for these other teams.

I see your point, to me it just reeks of a kid with hurt feelings.  If they take their ball and run, I guess I could see where that leaves the Vikings negotiating with Cousins alone but I dont see how crying and kick their feet is going to turn Kirk on.  I huge check I guess could but who knows, dude has made a ton of money the past few years and the biggest check might not be his priority. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Gotta be true. Would they really of released all 3 of their QB’s if they didn’t feel this was a sure thing already? 

Add to that Gil Brandt's certainty that he will be a Viking.  Brandt almost never makes wild predictions and he is one of the trustworthy talking heads out there.  

Absent a humongous change of events, Cousins will be a Viking.

If the Jets don't move up, then they risk the first 5 picks (including any trade ups) being a combination of Darnold, Rosen, Barkley, Mayfield and Allen.  That would leave Macagnan and Bowles standing around holding their dicks at pick #6. 

Unacceptable.  A trade up is needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, JiF said:

 

I see your point, to me it just reeks of a kid with hurt feelings.  If they take their ball and run, I guess I could see where that leaves the Vikings negotiating with Cousins alone but I dont see how crying and kick their feet is going to turn Kirk on.  I huge check I guess could but who knows, dude has made a ton of money the past few years and the biggest check might not be his priority. 

again, cousins can go where he wants, he's earned that right.  but if mccagnan's stance is, don't use us as pawns to screw the vikes out of more money, then that's fine by me. 

truth, there will be at least 1 qb of the 4 available at #6 if not more.  barkley and chubb are both going top 5 unless teams like buffalo and arizona start panicking. 

like him or not josh allen has played himself into the top 5 discussion.  for all we know the browns or giants could take him.  darnold isn't drawing rave reviews and we all know rosen's injury history.  the jets will be able to take a qb at 6 and i think the biggest issue with this will be when mayfield and one of those other guys is there at 6 but neither is the highest on mccag's board.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dcat said:

Add to that Gil Brandt's certainty that he will be a Viking.  Brandt almost never makes wild predictions and he is one of the trustworthy talking heads out there.  

Absent a humongous change of events, Cousins will be a Viking.

If the Jets don't move up, then they risk the first 5 picks (including any trade ups) being a combination of Darnold, Rosen, Barkley, Mayfield and Allen.  That would leave Macagnan and Bowles standing around holding their dicks at pick #6. 

Unacceptable.  A trade up is needed.

Absolutely. They need to trade up well before this goes down with Cousins. As in any where ranging from today to the 13th because if not, Denver is ready to pounce on the 1st pick. I have a gut feeling a deal is already in place too....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Add to that Gil Brandt's certainty that he will be a Viking.  Brandt almost never makes wild predictions and he is one of the trustworthy talking heads out there.  

Absent a humongous change of events, Cousins will be a Viking.

If the Jets don't move up, then they risk the first 5 picks (including any trade ups) being a combination of Darnold, Rosen, Barkley, Mayfield and Allen.  That would leave Macagnan and Bowles standing around holding their dicks at pick #6. 

Unacceptable.  A trade up is needed.

let's say the browns and giants go qbs 1/2.  let's say it's darnold/allen.  then let's say elway freaks out and trades to 3 to get rosen.  then the browns get to choose between barkley and chubb, let's say it's barkley.  so now you have indy at 5, having extracted at least a 2nd and one other good pick from the broncos, and the jets at 6.  indy can still get chubb there.  i don't see indy trading back again, to a team like miami at 11 or arizona at 15.

and if the broncos don't take a qb, they'll be in a prime position to add an elite defender or nelson to aging units.  bottom line i think at least 1 of these qbs makes it to 6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Vikes have over $60 mil in cap space. As people have been telling you all year, “$100 mil in cap space!!!” isn’t as big a deal as you chose to believe. Half the teams in the league have $50mm plus. All you had to do was look at the free agent pool—nobody loses good young players anymore. No GM panics about the cap anymore. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

let's say the browns and giants go qbs 1/2.  let's say it's darnold/allen.  then let's say elway freaks out and trades to 3 to get rosen.  then the browns get to choose between barkley and chubb, let's say it's barkley.  so now you have indy at 5, having extracted at least a 2nd and one other good pick from the broncos, and the jets at 6.  indy can still get chubb there.  i don't see indy trading back again, to a team like miami at 11 or arizona at 15.

and if the broncos don't take a qb, they'll be in a prime position to add an elite defender or nelson to aging units.  bottom line i think at least 1 of these qbs makes it to 6.

I wouldn't place my hopes on that scenario if I were Mac.  If he does, then he needs to be fired immediately.  The odds are far more likely for all 4 top QBs and Barkley to be gone by the time the Jets turn comes up.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I wouldn't place my hopes on that scenario if I were Mac.  If he does, then he needs to be fired immediately.  The odds are far more likely for all 4 top QBs and Barkley to be gone by the time the Jets turn comes up.  

if that's the 'worst case' scenario i bet mccags could trade back with a team that coveted chubb and get a decent haul.  then take jackson and beef up multiple positions.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I wouldn't place my hopes on that scenario if I were Mac.  If he does, then he needs to be fired immediately.  The odds are far more likely for all 4 top QBs and Barkley to be gone by the time the Jets turn comes up.  

While I agree with you, I can totally see the Giants taking Barkley, then taking a QB like Falk or Lauletta later on. It actually makes a lot of sense for them. Eli gets another weapon to go on a 2-3 year run before he retires as a Giant. Meanwhile they'll have two QB prospects developing in the background, with no pressure to start either right away.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if that's the 'worst case' scenario i bet mccags could trade back with a team that coveted chubb and get a decent haul.  then take jackson and beef up multiple positions.  

ugh.  I want one of the top 4 QB prospects.  Not Jackson.  It's high time for the Jets to make the move.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sourceworx said:

While I agree with you, I can totally see the Giants taking Barkley, then taking a QB like Falk or Lauletta later on. It actually makes a lot of sense for them. Eli gets another weapon to go on a 2-3 year run before he retires as a Giant. Meanwhile they'll have two QB prospects developing in the background, with no pressure to start either right away.

true.  it seems probably that either the browns or giants end up with barkley, esp. if indy trades out.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

ugh.  I want one of the top 4 QB prospects.  Not Jackson.  It's high time for the Jets to make the move.  

all i'm saying is, let's say 'the best' the jets can do is trade up to 3.  that means if qbs go 1/2, the jets will probably choose between mayfield and either rosen or allen.  now, if you don't want to invest in allen and have him sit most of this year, and endure the hack comparisons, etc., then you could well be trading up for mayfield.  truth i don't think giving up a 2nd, a 3rd and more to get him is worth it.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

the reality of this gives me pause, I know it makes sense for a midwest kid to prefer the midwest team, add the talent and the Vikings seem like a perfect fit, on the other hand the Jets options are not good without Cousins

Bridgewater is possibly the best option at only 25 but health questions are valid

A.J. McCarron had a few decent games in 2015 but probably headed to Browns to reunite with HC

Keenum looked good at times last year but could revert to form without Shurmur, former Vikings OC now vagiant HC and Stefanski Vikings QB coach on lockdown

McCown and Fitz are FA again - surprising no one (repeat of the last few years anyone?)

Bradford took $114m from NFL teams to date, but has never taken a team to the playoffs, don't think he has even played an entire 16 game season and is on the downside of his career  

and the Jets pick 6th in a draft with 2-3 top QB's and 2-3 other QB's who are even more of a gamble...  options are trade up, reach, trade down or hope for Chubb or Barkley and a second round QB (sounds familiar)

this sucks

 

Bradford has played 16 games twice and is like a half a year older than cousins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

all i'm saying is, let's say 'the best' the jets can do is trade up to 3.  that means if qbs go 1/2, the jets will probably choose between mayfield and either rosen or allen.  now, if you don't want to invest in allen and have him sit most of this year, and endure the hack comparisons, etc., then you could well be trading up for mayfield.  truth i don't think giving up a 2nd, a 3rd and more to get him is worth it.  

I’m still convinced Cleveland goes Mayfield 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Add to that Gil Brandt's certainty that he will be a Viking.  Brandt almost never makes wild predictions and he is one of the trustworthy talking heads out there.  

Absent a humongous change of events, Cousins will be a Viking.

If the Jets don't move up, then they risk the first 5 picks (including any trade ups) being a combination of Darnold, Rosen, Barkley, Mayfield and Allen.  That would leave Macagnan and Bowles standing around holding their dicks at pick #6. 

Unacceptable.  A trade up is needed.

100% agree.  The Jets cannot stand pat at #6 and expect to get the #3 QB on the board.  If the Vikings land Cousins, Denver is going to likely take a QB and there are plenty of rumors indicating other QB needy teams (Arizona, Buffalo) are looking to trade up, which means the Jets would also have to trade up in front of Denver at the very least to get one of the top 3 QB's.  I know I sound like a broken record, but it will be career suicide for Mac to stand pat at 6 if he plans on taking a QB. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, T0mShane said:

Thank you Scott, CPA. 

Allow me to rephrase.

Ten teams have over $50 mil in cap space.

Another six teams have over $30 mil in cap space.

Thank you, Henny Penny.

What you did is not a "rephrase", it is a correction of your mistake.

If we are being factual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Vikes have over $60 mil in cap space. As people have been telling you all year, “$100 mil in cap space!!!” isn’t as big a deal as you chose to believe. Half the teams in the league have $50mm plus. All you had to do was look at the free agent pool—nobody loses good young players anymore. No GM panics about the cap anymore. 

They have the cap space to pay him this year, but it's not a one year deal. The Vikings have tons of talent that will need to get paid very soon. So the isn't whether they can afford him this year it's Whether they can afford him in future years. 

You thought the jets management was incompetent all these year, instead their crappy drafting has been part of their master plan to sign cousins. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...