Report Claims Jets Have Spoken to Cousins Camp, Fear he’s Heading to Vikes

JetNation

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure Barkley goes in the top 2, but I dont think he escapes the top 5 and do think its more likely that it goes QB with top 2 picks. However, it would be naive to think that Barkley couldn't go top 2. Browns even with a legitimate QB still have a ways to go and theyll be right back in the top 5 in the draft next year so taking the transcendent talent makes a lot of sense even if it's a RB, like @bgivs21 said, Barkley with one of Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold, Allen would be a great draft especially if they like the lesser touted Josh Allen and believe teams will go up to get the other 3 QBs and their guy will still be there at 4

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I hope something gets worked out before because whether we have cousins or a rookie we need a guy like Robinson.

A healthy Robinson would solidfy the WR position for a long time presuming Anderson can get his act together (a big presumption), Anderson is a solid #2 vertical threat and Robinson is the big body, physical #1 every team needs. Hopefully Mac can get that done, along with Norwell, concerned that I've heard nothing connecting us to either though. 

8 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Except it doesn't. The QBs this year all have their issues. Cle has the luxury of owning 2 of the top 4 picks. They can easily knock it out of the park w/ a Barkley & Allen/Rosen/Dnarold/Mayfield combo.

The Giants have the luxury of a future HOF QB along w/ win now talent on their roster. If Cle does go QB, Barkley will go to the Giants @ 2

Eli Manning is like when they haul the guy out of death row and they yell DEAD MAN WALKING!  He's a human meat sack resembling a QB. 

his last stand was 2 seasons ago

Just now, bitonti said:

Eli Manning is like when they haul the guy out of death row and they yell DEAD MAN WALKING!  He's a human meat sack resembling a QB. 

his last stand was 2 seasons ago

Did you watch the playoffs this year? We had Foles, Keenum & Bortles in the championship games. Eli doesn't need to be amazing for them to win. And from the sounds of it the GM & HC still believe in him. If the Giants add Nelson or Barkley, the amount of talent surrounding him on offense is immense. They just need to keep him upright.

The notion that a RB can't go #1 is outdated and silly.  In the past 3 drafts, a RB was picked 10, 4 and 4 respectively.

If they love Barkley(which I'm sure they do) and have equal grades on multiple QBs, then they would be dumb not to take Barkley at 1.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It’s up to Cousins’ camp to create a bidding war. If the Jets feel like he’s going to the Vikings what’s the point of trying

Because it’ll soften the blow for Jets fans when Maccagnan gives Josh McCown a mere $12 million.

28 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

I don't think that's true. I honestly see Cleveland taking Barley 1. He is head & shoulders above any player in this draft & they will still have the opportunity to select QB at 4 (I think this scenario becomes an even greater reality if they sign McCarron).

The giants are then left w/ a dilemma. They have a roster that is built to win now that needs additions here & there, especially along the O-line. Do they take a QB & hope to develop him while wasting 2-3 years of some of their talented players? They could take the Guard Nelson who would help solidify their offense & allow them to make a run w/ Eli for the next 3-4 years. They are in a tougher spot than people think. Especially if you consider the poor combine Chubb had, if the Giants tried to get cute & trade w/ Denver & move to 5 they could lose out on Nelson to the Colts who also need o-line help.

All this could work out in our favor if we do lose out on Cousins like it is starting to sound. We might be able to trade up to 3 w/ the Colts & wind up with either the 1st or 2nd QB off the board.

I think they'll both be tempted to take someone other than a QB but they won't.  They'll end up taking the QB.  Giants are playing a funny game as they're affraid to piss off the fans - but they are ready to move on from Eli.  They know that. When push comes to shove Cleveland and the Giants will take a QB....at least that's my opinion.  

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It’s up to Cousins’ camp to create a bidding war. If the Jets feel like he’s going to the Vikings what’s the point of trying

This is how I feel, they're ruining his chances of getting the best deal possible if they've telegraphed Minnesota as the preferred destination to both the Broncos and Jets. Maybe their belief is that it will entice both teams to try and blow Minnesota away but I think they're overvaluing Cousins' talent, it would be a different story if this was a 29 year old Peyton Manning or Rodgers, but its not.

7 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Cleveland should move up from to two and secure the best player (Barkley) and whoever they believe is the best QB.  They have many picks to trade off.

They should but won't, they'll pray Barkley will fall to them at 4 (he won't) or that their guy at QB will be there at 4 (he won't).

Just now, Sully80 said:

This is how I feel, they're ruining his chances of getting the best deal possible if they've telegraphed Minnesota as the preferred destination to both the Broncos and Jets. Maybe their belief is that it will entice both teams to try and blow Minnesota away but I think they're overvaluing Cousins' talent, it would be a different story if this was a 29 year old Peyton Manning or Rodgers, but its not.

I think this is how the negotiations are going:

Kirk: Three years, $90 million

Vikings: OK

15 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Best scenario if the Jets miss out on Cousins:

1. Cleveland - Josh Allen

2. Giants - Saquon Barkley 

3. Jets trade #6, #49, #107 and a 2019 2nd round pick to the Colts for #3 and take Darnold

HELL F'ING NO

It’s not surprising in the least that a Midwest guy is going to choose a Midwest team that’s better then a NE team and it’s a lot cheaper to live. 

Biggest question now is what are they going to do. Sign another FA and draft a QB at 6 etc. It should be an interesting offseason. 

35 minutes ago, drsamuel84 said:

The pessimist in  me can't help but believe that the Jets are considered a final four team just to drive the price up.   I do think Kirk will take a meeting and hear them out b/c of the cap space but I don't see how we can compete with Minnesota if they're even close on money.  With that being said, I really hope if we miss out Macc doubles down at QB by signing Bridgewater and drafting a QB.  I have no interest in bringing McCown back, nothing against the guy but he's not the future, if they like him so much as a mentor offer the QB coach job.  Bring in Bridgewater/McCarron/Tyrod and draft a QB and let them battle it out.

I agree that we will be used to set the market.  That said, if he is only willing to sign for three years, then pass.  If you are going to make that kind of investment, you want the guy to be the face of the franchise for the next 10 years.  

Jets always take shortcuts and signing Cousins to a three year deal equates to wasting $90M.  The roster is still bare of any legit talent.  By the time the Jets get pieces around him, he’s leaving agin.  

Rather trade up (regardless of cost) to get our #1 QB prospect.

2 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

It’s not surprising in the least that a Midwest guy is going to choose a Midwest team that’s better then a NE team and it’s a lot cheaper to live. 

Biggest question now is what are they going to do. Sign another FA and draft a QB at 6 etc. It should be an interesting offseason. 

history says mccags goes after bridgewater and mccarron, so he's not locked into a qb at 6.  but if he takes chubb or nelson at 6 and a qb or two is there for the taking, how does he realistically expect to keep his job?  and if that's his primary concern - keeping his job - it would seem to necessitate a change in philosophy of being willing to use draft capital to get a qb.  

I wouldn't blame Cousins if he signed with the Vikes one bit.  He's made a boat load of dough under the franchise tag.  He may not make as much signing with the Vikes as perhaps the Jets offer, but he won't be heading to the poor house either.  If you sign with the Vikes, you have a better shot getting to the playoffs and making noise.  If the Jets lose out on him (which I believe they will), if there is a QB in the draft that you're all in at, you trade up and offer the world IF you truly believe this is our QB for the next decade or more.  

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

it weakens any leverage cousins has in negotiations.  if it's down to the jets and vikings but the jets 'know' that cousins wants to go to a better team and the jets don't fit that description, then if the jets stop bidding the vikings are left negotiating against themselves.  i know it's a bit of a stretch but maybe mccaganan won't allow cousins to use the jets as leverage for these other teams.

Look, I am not for signing Cousins; would rather they draft one of the young guns. But objectively by every measure-organization, coach, scheme,OL, skill positions-taxes-the Jets are dead freaking last and it's not close. Now had the Jets fired WEDONTRUNENOUGH Bowles and hired a real coach, may be this story ends happily. Alas, that did not happen. 

Not the end of the world, combined with the reports that the Giants will do the idiot thing and draft Barkley at 2.  If Allen goes 1, Darnold and Rosen are there for the pickings in a trade with the Colts.

1 hour ago, bgivs21 said:

Did you watch the playoffs this year? We had Foles, Keenum & Bortles in the championship games. Eli doesn't need to be amazing for them to win. And from the sounds of it the GM & HC still believe in him. If the Giants add Nelson or Barkley, the amount of talent surrounding him on offense is immense. They just need to keep him upright.

Jets and Browns dont'e even have that. If you like Barkley running into a mess of 8 ma fronts, by all means, good luck with that 1.5 yards per, a cloud of FieldTurf pellets and 3rd and long desperation heaves all day.

FAN : Rumor afoot that Philly has an offer from an AFC team of a 2nd rounder for Big Dick Nick(speaking of penises). If the Jets aren't on the phone, or fvck it, on the GSP to Philly with a fruit bsket and a 2 and a 3, they should to be. 

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Jets and Browns dont'e even have that. If you like Barkley running into a mess of 8 ma fronts, by all means, good luck with that 1.5 yards per, a cloud of FieldTurf pellets and 3rd and long desperation heaves all day.

FAN : Rumor afoot that Philly has an offer from an AFC team of a 2nd rounder for Big Dick Nick(speaking of penises). If the Jets aren't on the phone, or fvck it, on the GSP to Philly with a fruit bsket and a 2 and a 3, they should to be. 

but does that mean we take avoid qb in the first round?  if so then foles becomes the qb of the future?  

truth i don't think the eagles can trade him yet, wentz's injury was bad and with foles they don't have to rush him back.

6 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Todd McShay said that Barkley is the kind of player that makes your OL better/look better. That is exactly what he said.

As for the rumor of the 2nd round pick, they suspected Buffalo. Buffalo has a ton of picks so it would make sense for them.

I would not want Foles on the Jets because he plays well in a specific system.

Archived