anybody but BAKER MAYFIELD

kmnj

46 minutes ago, kmnj said:

he is the one QB I dont want the Jets to take and the one I feel like our Gm will end up taking. Our GM has proven to be one of the leagues worst judges on drafting QBs as well

He traded up to get Petty who he said had a very high ceiling-next up Hack simply a terrible QB that most fans knew would be terrible-he is in fact so bad the Jets wont even play him in meaningless games. Mayfield is going to be the next johnny football and hope to god the jets dont draft him. I would even rather they go defense again with the one over him as some how even though we draft defensive first every year we have one of the worst defensive units in the league

Your acting as if we have a lot of options. We are picking 6, there is a decent chance Baker is gone before 6. It’s not easy to get a qb here with a terrible line, A HC who hates passing, and poor records past few yrs. All rookie qbs are a risk. Mayfield might be the least risk out of all of them.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We have people who don't want Cousins, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen, the Vikings rejects and Mccown. I love the Jets fanbase. Guaranteed anger no matter what Macc ends up with. 

I don't think that's fair.  I don't think people hate everyone - just you're going to get a lot of opinions.  We're never all going to agree.  I will say this - whoever our QB is I'm going to be excited for him once the season starts.

41 minutes ago, kmnj said:

he is the one QB I dont want the Jets to take and the one I feel like our Gm will end up taking. Our GM has proven to be one of the leagues worst judges on drafting QBs as well

He traded up to get Petty who he said had a very high ceiling-next up Hack simply a terrible QB that most fans knew would be terrible-he is in fact so bad the Jets wont even play him in meaningless games. Mayfield is going to be the next johnny football and hope to god the jets dont draft him. I would even rather they go defense again with the one over him as some how even though we draft defensive first every year we have one of the worst defensive units in the league

Mayfield's height is a concern.

Mayfield's off-field issues and maturity are a concern.

The system Mayfield ran is a concern (albeit one shared by most college QB's these days).

With that said, I don't see the risks as any more material than those of Darnold (the USC sunshine kid who turns it over too much), Rosen (the future Jr. Senator and injury risk) and Allan (the cannon arm that can't break 60% and calls Dan Marino John Elway while being interviewed) and Jackson (the best fastest WR to even play QB).

IMO Mayfield may not succeed.  But IMO it won't be because he plays the role of Johnny Manziel II.  

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

We have people who don't want Cousins, Mayfield, Allen, Darnold, Rosen, the Vikings rejects and Mccown. I love the Jets fanbase. Guaranteed anger no matter what Macc ends up with. 

Post of the Week Nominee

I don't think Mayfield is the Manziel. I don't see that type of immaturity in him. He's definitely a showman but I haven't seen a lack of work ethic or things like that.

I just question his physical ability and how it will translate to the NFL. I'll be rooting for him, but he's got a lot of question marks as a player IMO.

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

sadly our "professionals" thought Petty and Hack were the answer -

QB is extremely hard to evaluate. Would love a GM to drop the arrogance and basically admit no one knows anything and just draft 7 of them one year and have an epic camp battle. Hard Knocks anyone?

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

I don't think that's fair.  I don't think people hate everyone - just you're going to get a lot of opinions.  We're never all going to agree.  I will say this - whoever our QB is I'm going to be excited for him once the season starts.

This.  It's telling how widely split the Jets Fanbase appears on the future at QB.  There is literally a camp for every available or possible QB at current.

Parcells when I charge of personnel:
QBs selected:
1993 Drew Bledsoe 1 overall.  decent QB not worth a 1 overall.
1994 Jay Walker- who? at least he had a fun name
1997 Chuck Clements(could have had Peyton in this draft if he just assured him he would take him 1 overall)
2008 Chad henne(could have taken Matt Ryan rd 1 in this draft)
2009 Pat White(he was drafted to be a Brad Smith type not a QB)

that's a heck of a QB drafting resume for a guy fans and the media always quote on his philosophy of drafting QBs.

Have to agree

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

20 minutes ago, kmnj said:

sadly our "professionals" thought Petty and Hack were the answer -

Fair enough. I guess my point was that, as a fan, even if I scour the internet and do as much research as I can, I will not have the same access to evaluating the player as a GM or scout. Macc may have made a mistake with Hack and Petty but it looked like he definitely did his due diligence looking at other options and looking closely at Hackenberg as a potential NFL QB.  

19 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.  It's telling how widely split the Jets Fanbase appears on the future at QB.  There is literally a camp for every available or possible QB at current.

I think there should be one camp and that's the one where we we all agree that Cousins or 1 of the 4 is what has to happen for our franchise.  If its one of the 4 rookies and we have to sign a bridge QB then so be it but there are 5 options and we have to get one.  

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

if the jets had tanked properly and had the 2nd pick, there would still be debates, especially if darnold went first.  would people here really be thrilled if we got rosen 2nd?  he comes with major injury concerns and his lack of mobility will only lead to more.  lots of folks here hate allen, and taking mayfield 2nd is risky, to say the least.  and then you'd have the barkley camp, saying you can get a qb in the 2nd.  no slam dunks here.

35 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I will be happy with ANY QB that the Jets draft and root like hell for the pick to work out. 

27 minutes ago, jgb said:

QB is extremely hard to evaluate. Would love a GM to drop the arrogance and basically admit no one knows anything and just draft 7 of them one year and have an epic camp battle. Hard Knocks anyone?

Are they? It seems like the statistical models (combined with scouting) have a pretty decent hit rate, certainly better than scouts eyes alone

2 minutes ago, CTM said:

Are they? It seems like the statistical models (combined with scouting) have a pretty decent hit rate, certainly better than scouts eyes alone

Maybe hard to evaluate then because luddite scouts cling bitterly to their eye tests.

The only thing I'm certain of about QBs anymore is no one has any clue about who will hit and who will miss.  I know I don't.  I don't think NFL people really do anymore because it's so much guess work projecting the position when none of them read defenses pre snap, handle all the audibles, etc.

About the only thing I am sure of is coaching has more to do with success than anything, if all the prospects are relatively similar.

8 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The only thing I'm certain of about QBs anymore is no one has any clue about who will hit and who will miss.  I know I don't.  I don't think NFL people really do anymore because it's so much guess work projecting the position when none of them read defenses pre snap, handle all the audibles, etc.

About the only thing I am sure of is coaching has more to do with success than anything, if all the prospects are relatively similar.

TRUE. Not to mention everyone must get their name in this thread so just in case their guy is picked and plays well? They can say how great they are and how they had it right all along.

The fact is, even the GM's have no clue who they're getting. That's why taking a QB is such a crap shoot. The key factor in this draft is no QB is NFL ready. There are no Peyton Manning's in this draft. You take one and you hope for the best. You hope that someday the kid gets it between the ears because that's where every young QB fails. They can never get the game to slow down enough for their preference so they can go through their progressions and find the open guy like they did so easily in college.

13 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

So we're screwed and should just select the best players that need the smallest amount of coaching... because.... well ... Bowles.

1 minute ago, Stark said:

So we're screwed and should just select the best players that need the smallest amount of coaching... because.... well ... Bowles.

Maybe, but I am somewhat excited Bates can be a very good offensive coach.

25 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

if the jets had tanked properly.....

If I had a dime for every JN poster who thought (rightfully so) that McCown was the ultimate tank QB, who now thinks we "didn't tank properly", I'd be a very rich man.

In before:  Nuh uh, I wanted Petty, no really!:lol:

The Jets tanked as best they could.  They players, schedule and opponents decided it wasn't to be.  It happens.

Take Mark Sanchez for example, he could make every throw with relative ease. He was athletically gifted enough to make even the hardest throws. The problem with him and what was ultimately his death, was the fact he could not see what he was looking at? He was unable to make progressions fast enough and make an accurate throw and really that's the thing.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

If I had a dime for every JN poster who thought (rightfully so) that McCown was the ultimate tank QB, who now thinks we "didn't tank properly", I'd be a very rich man.

The Jets tanked as best they could.  They players, schedule and opponents decided it wasn't to be.  It happens.

from seinfeld:  "I know how to take a reservation."

"I don't think you do.  If you did, I'd have a car."

No, the jets didn't tank properly.  if they did, they'd have a top 2 pick.

Whoever we draft at QB is a risk- that is given. If it was easy we would have found a franchise QB years ago. You do due diligence evaluate both physical and mental traits and still not get it right sadly

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

No, they didn't tank as best they could.  They brought in a mediocre qb to maintain that status.

3 minutes ago, peebag said:

No, they didn't tank as best they could.  They brought in a mediocre qb to maintain that status.

They brought in an old man who I think had two wins in his whole career and was injury prone.  Sounds like a perfect tanking QB.

2 hours ago, kmnj said:

With us picking 6th he might be the only one of the top 4 to still be there. I'm hoping we sign a QB in FA so we don't have to rely on the 1st round pick.

12 minutes ago, peebag said:

In what world is 38 year old Josh "2-17 in his last 19 starts" McCown anything but the worst possible QB to start a team could find?

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

I know I'm being insane when I say this but I'd love to have all of us to rally behind whoever winds up as our QB.

9 minutes ago, Warfish said:

In what world is 38 year old Josh "2-17 in his last 19 starts" McCown anything but the worst possible QB to start a team could find?

But it didn't turn out that way did it ? If it had we'd be picking 2nd instead of 6th.

Just now, Thai Jet said:

I know I'm being insane when I say this but I'd love to have all of us to rally behind whoever winds up as our QB.

Maybe I'm an optimist but outside of a few miserable people - I think we will.  This is it. It'll be really rough to go through another five years of not having a QB - we need whoever it is to hit.  

I think Allen is the only one that might bring out a lot of anger around here.  I'm not in love with Allen but if he's a Jet we can hope for the HUGE upside if he figures it out.  It will be exciting.

I'll be 100% behind whoever it is!

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I keep going back to this with Josh Allen. His stats are about the same as Hackenberg's. His weaknesses seem the same as Hackenberg's. ANd yet Hackenberg was projected to be a late round pick and Allen is top 5. I've come up with several reasons and yet none fit.

Someone needs to explain this to me too.

There must be some substantial differences between Allen and Hackenberg that I'm not aware of.

Can a "Josh Allen" fan please tell me why he won't be another Hackeberg? I need a reason to get excited for this guy.

Archived