Sammy Watkins -- no tag

Paradis

7 minutes ago, King P said:

Just like Allen Robinson, he's gonna look at us and ask "who's throwing the ball to me?"

Would like him, but he's not coming here

Probably right, but in this case, we have a few things going for us:

• He's younger. Career has lots of leg room. Get paid, then worry about winning at this next contract (27-28 years old).
  • Conversely, he might be a worried about whether he will ever see 30 b/c of health. Get paid while you can

A win-win for him. And lets face, the JETS should pony up an extra 10 guaranteed if nothing else, to draw some talent/name power to the team. 

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watkins is an interesting case.  He's a horse when he is going good.  I'd prefer him to Landry at their peaks.  He didn't have a great year in 2017, but he proved he was healthy.  I don't know that I'd call him injury prone.  He had the foot injury in 2016 and it was feared it was chronic, but he played in 15 games in 2017 and the time he missed was because of a concussion.  He didn't have many catches or yards last year, but he had 8 TDs.  Kupp and Woods had 10 combined.  It will be interesting how much money he gets.  WR money will probably rise signifcantly with Beckham's impending deal. 

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I just looked up his stats as well.  593 yards last year. I know he is a beast but he is hurt a lot.

image.png

If he can stay healthy and get his career back on the trajectory it was on after 2015, he could be a nice signing.  Given our cap situation -- and our WR depth chart, I would be willing to roll the dice on him.

Besides, the guy owes us a playoff appearance after his 11receptions in the last game of the '15 season when the Bills eliminated us.

WR isn't really the problem here. I like Jermaine Kearse, Enunwa is coming back and though Anderson isnt the brightest bulb, he hasn't done anything that I would say would be worth cutting him. We also have Stewart and Henson. 

What we need is a quarterback. 

Sammy Watkins won't do much if the QB is McCown, Hackenberg, Fitzpatrick, Smith etc. Also, signing Watkins to a mega contract just so we can draft a rookie may end up just being a waste of money. I think @King P is bringing up a valid point when he states that Watkins question could be "So who's throwing me the ball?". This means that we're most likely going to have to overpay for this guy. Why when WR isnt even the most pressing need on offense. It's actually our strongest group in terms of talent offensively. 

Lets work on giving that money to Cousins, a guy who can fix one of the positions of great need. 

I could see going after Watkins but I would offer a base salary of 4-5 million with
incentives based on games played.  If he wants to make big money he's going to have
to stay on the field

34 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

WR isn't really the problem here. I like Jermaine Kearse, Enunwa is coming back and though Anderson isnt the brightest bulb, he hasn't done anything that I would say would be worth cutting him. We also have Stewart and Henson. 

Sammy Watkins won't do much if the QB is McCown, Hackenberg, Fitzpatrick, Smith etc. Also, signing Watkins to a mega contract just so we can draft a rookie may end up just being a waste of money. I think @King P is bringing up a valid point when he states that Watkins question could be "So who's throwing me the ball?". This means that we're most likely going to have to overpay for this guy. Why when WR isnt even the most pressing need on offense. It's actually our strongest group in terms of talent offensively. 

Lets work on giving that money to Cousins, a guy who can fix one of the positions of great need. 

exactly.  add a real qb and another rb and the team is fine for now.  we're not winning the super bowl this year.  watkins is way too injury prone to pay good money to.  and if you're going to play a rookie qb it would help if you had a TE like eifert to help him out.

7 minutes ago, KRL said:

I could see going after Watkins but I would offer a base salary of 4-5 million with
incentives based on games played.  If he wants to make big money he's going to have
to stay on the field

why would he ever sign that offer? WHO would sign that offer? Dwayne Bowe?

54 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Yeah I just looked up his stats as well.  593 yards last year. I know he is a beast but he is hurt a lot.

image.png

Again, a beast with zero concerns isn't a FA... No WRs of Watkins ilk make it to FA with a squeaky clean record ala AJ Green

6 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

exactly.  add a real qb and another rb and the team is fine for now.  we're not winning the super bowl this year.  watkins is way too injury prone to pay good money to.  and if you're going to play a rookie qb it would help if you had a TE like eifert to help him out.

True, though we will probably havr to go draft for that TE. Eifert is a walkig injury. I dont think he's ever played a full season. He may have been off the field as much as he's been on it. 

Dont get me wrong, when he's on it the guy is to 5 hands down. But not even Gronk been injured this much. His body isnt built to take the punishment...but he most certainly has the talent, no question. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

He's going to go to whoever pays him the most.

absolutely.  To be more accurate, he will go to whoever guarantees the most money.  With his foot and recurring injury history, it's the guaranteed money he needs.  And that's the only reason I would stay away.    Both Richardson and Robinson had torn ACLs, Robinson coming of his now and Richardson's back a few years I think.  

To be sure, Mac needs to get at least one of these guys.  For pete's sake we have $90 trillion in cap money.  Spend some if it on a t least one quality WR, will ya Mac???  

2 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Watkins > Robinson

but

Landry > Watkins

is that still a possibility 

Landry is a slot WR.  Love the guy.  But 1st let's address the need for a reliable deep threat.  Whether we keep Anderson or not.  

45 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

What a load sh*t.... Love you brother, you're a warrior for the good fight, but you're peddling Nepalese knock off trinkets here. 

• Enunwa: remind me when we got medical clearance since his broken neck? Ohhh right. He isn't clear. And may never play 16 games again. 
  • Anderson is a complete moron -- and a time bomb waiting to explode. Fck him. I don't want him and neither should you. 
  • Stewart and Hanson? LOL... ok. 

What we need is a quarterback. Lets work on giving that money to Cousins, a guy who can fix one of the positions of great need. 

Wake up Poly. That boat has sailed. If you're gonna tell me we can't go after an A-list WR in FA because of Cousins... There's the door. That argument is over... and PART OF THE REASON WHY COUSINS ISN'T COMING HERE IS CAUSE WE HAVE NO SAMMY WATKINS. You want to attract big fish, we need bait brah. "Hey that Anderson guy who tweeted some dumb sh*t and told a cop he was going to nut in her eye... yea, he's your new #1"

Right.

I think @King P is bringing up a valid point when he states that Watkins question could be "So who's throwing me the ball?". This means that we're most likely going to have to overpay for this guy. Why when WR isnt even the most pressing need on offense. It's actually our strongest group in terms of talent offensively. 

That's ridiculous. And possibly true. Which also is why Cousins is never coming here. 

Our new ROOKIE Quarterback TBD (god help us all) will need players like Sammy. Or Allen if you're a fan instead. Point remains the same. 

4 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

True, though we will probably havr to go draft for that TE. Eifert is a walkig injury. I dont think he's ever played a full season. He may have been off the field as much as he's been on it. 

Dont get me wrong, when he's on it the guy is to 5 hands down. But not even Gronk been injured this much. His body isnt built to take the punishment...but he most certainly has the talent, no question. 

i don't see eifert as a long-term guy.  but if you swing and miss on cousins and then use all that cap money with the certainty that you're drafting a qb in the first round and may even trade up to do it and burn some draft picks, why not give the rookie another TE who can catch, another RB to replace forte who can catch, etc.  make it EASIER to transition to the pros.  

56 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

lol that's ridiculous. Strongest??!? It's the biggest question mark on the offense. We could possibly be starting Kearse and Hansen opening day. You wanna give our new QB that to throw to?? Wake up. The whole offense needs more weapons. 

The Jets WR were okay last year.  I like Anderson, but he is proving volatile and he and Kearse are not exactly #1 WRs.  Add a guy like Watkins or Robinson and those guys will blossom.  Enunwa is still a question mark and will be something like 20 months from his last snap.  Stewart and Hansen were disappointments.  I don't advocate cutting them, but there is no reason to count on them. Despite all the indignation around here, I'd cut either or both before Anderson.

Richardson is sort of a one trick pony.  He should be much cheaper, but I think he kind of duplicates Anderson without a big add and he has been playing with a much better QB than the others.

12 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

26 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Eifert hasn't played a full season, ever

FireShot Capture 2 - Tyler Eifert - Wikipedia - https___en.wikipedia.org_wiki_Tyler_Eifert.jpg

3 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

lol that's ridiculous. Strongest??!? It's the biggest question mark on the offense. We could possibly be starting Kearse and Hansen opening day. You wanna give our new QB that to throw to?? Wake up. The whole offense needs more weapons. 

It's really not ridiculous.  I think they need to upgrade, but what is stronger?  QB? Hackenberg and Petty are the only two under contract.  TE?  ASJ and Tomlinson are FAs.  I think Leggett might be the only one under contract.  RB?  I guess people are in love with McGuire and Powell, but eh. They have literally no C under contract, are going to cut Carpenter.  Dozier and Qvale is a FA and they probably won't exercise the option on Ijalana.  Sorry, but Shell, Winters and Beachum do not instill confidence.  I would guess RB is stronger.  People are in love with McGuire and Powell, but eh.  They did pick up Langford from the Bears and he is probably one of the top players on the O. 

21 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Okay, but I'm not sure what they gave up for has to do with him getting "canned."  

They grew tired of us act and just wanted him gone. He wore out his welcome so to speak. Big disappointment.

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

It's really not ridiculous.  I think they need to upgrade, but what is stronger?  QB? Hackenberg and Petty are the only two under contract.  TE?  ASJ and Tomlinson are FAs.  I think Leggett might be the only one under contract.  RB?  I guess people are in love with McGuire and Powell, but eh. They have literally no C under contract, are going to cut Carpenter.  Dozier and Qvale is a FA and they probably won't exercise the option on Ijalana.  Sorry, but Shell, Winters and Beachum do not instill confidence.  I would guess RB is stronger.  People are in love with McGuire and Powell, but eh.  They did pick up Langford from the Bears and he is probably one of the top players on the O. 

It's ridiculous to think it doesn't need to be touched or upgraded. I don't think any part of the offense is strong. So if you wanna stack it up against another pile of crap group, sure why not. But it's not saying much at all. 

45 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

They grew tired of us act and just wanted him gone. He wore out his welcome so to speak. Big disappointment.

Actually, it was a new regime.  That is often the case.  They moved a few of their better players, including Dareus, and Darby.  New coaches/GMs move guys.  When you get a 2nd back, it doesn't necessarily mean he wore out his welcome.  They knew they weren't going to pay him in 2018 and they were trying to stock up in this draft.  

41 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

It's ridiculous to think it doesn't need to be touched or upgraded. I don't think any part of the offense is strong. So if you wanna stack it up against another pile of crap group, sure why not. But it's not saying much at all. 

It's the Jets.  We are talking about pile of crap groups or we are talking about another team.  The defensive line isn't even strong anymore.

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

That's it. Lets go get it. We gotta give our rook a fighting chance. I'd rather x10 have Sammy over Robinson personally. I know others will disagree. Neither are 100% fool proof, otherwise neither would be a FA.

Sammy - WHO'S WITH ME

I'm with P on this one. Look, in order to get anyone to sign here (with Hack and Petty the only QBs on the roster), we are going to have to overpay. I'd prefer Robinson to Watkins, but I'll take either. Our most explosive threat on offense looks like he is about to get suspended to start the season. Who is our new QB going to throw to?

13 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Actually, it was a new regime.  That is often the case.  They moved a few of their better players, including Dareus, and Darby.  New coaches/GMs move guys.  When you get a 2nd back, it doesn't necessarily mean he wore out his welcome.  They knew they weren't going to pay him in 2018 and they were trying to stock up in this draft.  

You forgot, or didn't know, I live in Buffalo so I am privy to Bills info on a daily basis. Not picking up that last year option spoke volumes.

15 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

You forgot, or didn't know, I live in Buffalo so I am privy to Bills info on a daily basis. Not picking up that last year option spoke volumes.

They didn't pick up the 5th year option primarily because they were not sure the foot would hold up.  The 5th year option is guaranteed for injury and if he couldn't go in 2018, they were going to be on the hook for a huge chunk of change with nothing to show for it.  He played in 15 games and I think he showed that the foot is not particularly an issue, so I think that is out the window.

You act like the Bills threw him out and seem to think the Rams want to dump him even though most reports have them considering using the franchise tag on him, before electing to use it on Lamarcus Joyner - who, as a S will be $5M cheaper. They are supposedly still trying to work something out with him.

Archived