MacCagnan's valuation history of the QB position

Integrity28

19 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

OK. I get what you're saying. However, you could just as easily say they would not be trending upward, or maybe more accurately traeding water as a 5-11 team? Look at Mac's drafts. There's nothing in those draft choices that should give you a warm and fuzzy feeling about the future. His drafts have been marginal at best. Leonard Williams has turned out to be nothing special. He's a good player but not a player living up to his draft spot. Same with Jamal Adams after one season. The 2016 draft is super crap from start to finish. Hack and Lee are both players the jets are rapidly giving up on.

If you draft well you should land 2 players per draft. We aren't really doing worse than other teams in this regard. Most players only stay on a team for 3 years, it's the top 2 picks that generally have the highest chance to succeed. I think we got really unlucky with Smith, he did not have an injury history when we drafted him. As far as Hack goes, it was too early to take him but you usually need to sacrifice a starter to take a stab at QB anyway. 

Getting our QB this offseason should drastically change our fortunes. I think it says something about the coaching staff that we have gotten career years from 2 QBs that really had no business playing like they did. I can be patient at least until we give the staff a viable QB to work with. I will judge Macc/Bowles more harshly this season.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cousins will prob sign elsewhere. McCag needs to trade up for a QB, bottom line.

BTW, Darron Lee is a really solid linebacker. Not sure why people knock this guy. If he got cut tomorrow, 30 teams would make a move to sign him.

34 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

OK. I get what you're saying. However, you could just as easily say they would not be trending upward, or maybe more accurately traeding water as a 5-11 team? Look at Mac's drafts. There's nothing in those draft choices that should give you a warm and fuzzy feeling about the future. His drafts have been marginal at best. Leonard Williams has turned out to be nothing special. He's a good player but not a player living up to his draft spot. Same with Jamal Adams after one season. The 2016 draft is super crap from start to finish. Hack and Lee are both players the jets are rapidly giving up on.

Adams, Leonard and Lee are all good NFL players. None of those picks have anything to do with the Jets lack of playoff appearances.

Jets simply need a real QB and a real head coach. If McCag finds those 2 pieces and keeps having drafts with the likes of Adams/Leonard/Lee, the Jets will be just fine. 

3 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

If you draft well you should land 2 players per draft. We aren't really doing worse than other teams in this regard. Most players only stay on a team for 3 years, it's the top 2 picks that generally have the highest chance to succeed. I think we got really unlucky with Smith, he did not have an injury history when we drafted him. As far as Hack goes, it was too early to take him but you usually need to sacrifice a starter to take a stab at QB anyway. 

Getting our QB this offseason should drastically change our fortunes. I think it says something about the coaching staff that we have gotten career years from 2 QBs that really had no business playing like they did. I can be patient at least until we give the staff a viable QB to work with. I will judge Macc/Bowles more harshly this season.

But that's the whole point.... MacCagnan has removed nearly all of the talent on this team. So expecting to net 2 players per draft simply isn't good enough. It's one thing to remove veterans making too much, I get that. But you'd better be able to back fill those players and Mac simply is not cutting it. And even by your standard of netting 2 players per draft, he still hasn't been cutting it. Darron Lee only plays on this team because there are no better options or a simple lack of talent.

9 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

That's my point, though.  He drafts like he's scared to lose.  

I don't hate the Leo Will pick, he's clearly a good player, but when was the last time a 3-4 DE won you a game?  How about a strong safety?  

You can't expect to win spending first round capital on 3-4 DE's, Strong Safeties and Inside-Linebackers - other teams like the Eagles, as @nycdan has already pointed out, draft premium positions and are rewarded for it.  

If the modern NFL game is built around passing, what does a 3-4 DE, an ILB and a SS do for you?  Those are all arguably run-first defensive positions!  Whereas cornerback, edge-rushers and free safeties are clearly all pass-first defenders. 

Not to mention, with the rules being as they are now, defense is overvalued anyway.  You're better off building a team that can score a lot and can rush the passer as opposed to some theoretical suffocating defense that will just get penalized (because defenses operate under draconian rules currently - you can't touch receivers before they catch it and if you hit them too hard while or after they catch it, you're penalized). 

A smart GM would understand the game he's in and implement a strategy that reflects this.  He'd spend first rounders on quarterbacks, protecting his quarterback, killing the opposing teams' quarterbacks and eliminating places for the opposing quarterback to throw.  

I hear you and you are right but this team was so devoid of young talent when Mac got here I think taking the top player in each draft regardless of position was not a terrible move. Given the amount of busts we had prior we really just needed to hit on some talent. I didn't think he passed on a LT, CB, or Edge that would have made a huge difference. QB you could certainly argue Watson and Mahomes but I think we wanted to try our first big investment at QB before drafting another QB high. With how many QB needy teams passed on both players it doesn't seem like GMs were overly fond of either prospect last year.

I think this is the offseason that needs to be judged more harshly than any of the 3 that came before it. We have aligned ourselves perfectly to answer the biggest position of the field and if he hits on the QB this team will look a lot better.

basically in 3 years he made a mistake w/ his gamble on hackenberg.

the funny thing is if we traded up for Goff or Wentz in 2016 Jet fans would have gone nuts having to give up so much to move up that high and let's also not forget Goff or Wentz probably wouldn't be the same here as they have been in LA/Philly as we don't have the talent or coaching.  Never mind that someone like Goff would have been run out of town by jet fans after his terrible rookie year.

2016 he could have drafted a QB and passes, could have had Watson.  that's a negative but he can rewrite that negative this offseason whether it's w/ Cousins or McCown/draft pick or Bridgewater/draft pick.  Let's see what he does.

6 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

But that's the whole point.... MacCagnan has removed nearly all of the talent on this team. So expecting to net 2 players per draft simply isn't good enough. It's one thing to remove veterans making too much, I get that. But you'd better be able to back fill those players and Mac simply is not cutting it. And even by your standard of netting 2 players per draft, he still hasn't been cutting it. Darron Lee only plays on this team because there are no better options or a simple lack of talent.

I think that speaks to how poor drafting was under Rex though. Mac has gutted the team from a talent prospective but it's not like any of the players we have moved on from have been key contributors elsewhere. It's frustrating I know but I think he has the team moving in the right direction. It should not be understated how much a QB will help this team, and he has positioned us perfectly to get one this year.

8 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think that speaks to how poor drafting was under Rex though. Mac has gutted the team from a talent prospective but it's not like any of the players we have moved on from have been key contributors elsewhere. It's frustrating I know but I think he has the team moving in the right direction. It should not be understated how much a QB will help this team, and he has positioned us perfectly to get one this year.

Rex wasn't the GM.

under Tannenbaum he made moves and we didn't end up w/ a lot of picks but he consistently brought in talent until we had some expected cap issues his last year. we had an easy cap fix that Idzik came in and did then he screwed everything up from there. w e would have been much better w/ picks and cap space w/ tannenbaum but one losing record and they fired him.  That was the beginning of where we are today.

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

Now here's the kicker.  And @dbatesman if you physically recoiled from my last post, then strap yourself in.  

As I suggested earlier and you clearly pointed out, we drafted all middle/run defense.  DT, DT, S, S, ILB.  The Eagles drafted offense and edge/pass defense.

So now let's look at 2017 team rushing defense stats.  Seriously, if you are not sitting down comfortably, do so.

Okay..here we go.

PHI - allowed 79.2 ypg avg.  1st in NFL

NYJ - allowed 117.9 ypg avg. 24th in NFL 

I...have....no....words.

0703B8C1-10F1-492C-B6BC-60E28A75F554.gif

11 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

I'm under no illusion that Macc is a GM of the year candidate, but he isn't being judged fairly. He has been set up to fail from day 1, and he will never succeed for as long as Woody owns the team and Chris Johnson is running it. I can't judge a GM who stands on even ground with the head coach. I don't know which of his moves were his, and which of his moves were heavily influenced by a Johnson. In either case, Macc has to go. We need a head coach who makes personnel decisions who works with a bean counter who makes the transaction happen. No more of this ridiculous power structure.

Under no circumstance do I want a HC who also makes personnel decisions (unless he's proven to be able to do so).  What this org needs is a PFO who works with the GM to develop a strategy of the type of football team they want and then goes out and gets a coach who's good and onboard with that direction. If the GM can't prove he can draft the type of player needed for that strategy then he gets fired. A PFO that can also have the foresight to change with the times and hire the people that can get the job done. Not beancounters who know nothing about football. They're ok to be contract negotiators, but I don't want them running this football team. Woody and Chris have not learned that yet, and until they do, we'll be mired in failure.

My issue with how mccagnan has treated the qb position is that he's treated it like any other position.  He has not prioritized it.  By comparison, tanny tried like heck to fix it. Brought in farve, traded up for Sanchez.  That's how you try.  And you know he's going to pull something this draft b/c tannihill can't stay healthy.  

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

Rex wasn't the GM.

under Tannenbaum he made moves and we didn't end up w/ a lot of picks but he consistently brought in talent until we had some expected cap issues his last year. we had an easy cap fix that Idzik came in and did then he screwed everything up from there. w e would have been much better w/ picks and cap space w/ tannenbaum but one losing record and they fired him.  That was the beginning of where we are today.

I didn't say Rex was the GM, I was talking about our poor drafting while he was here, both Idzik and Tanny contributed to that. I don't believe anyone could have succeeded in 2015 being handed that roster. I also think there was a culture change that needed to happen coming from the way Rex handled his guys, this finally feels like a roster that is all moving with a common goal. This year is huge for this team

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Part of the problem under Tanny is that he knew we were close.  Tanny went all in to try to get over the top.  Giving up picks for Kris Jenkins, Holmes, Braylon, & Cro.  Moving up for Harris, Revis and Sanchez.  We had several years with just 3 or 4 draft picks.  After we came close in 09 & 10, we just didn't have enough young talent to replace the older veterans as we became tight under the cap.  The collapse may have come faster than expected, but it should not have been that hard to foresee.  And none of us would have cared had we won one of those two games in Pitt or Indy.

Add two below average GMs to follow him and you have a 7 year playoff drought.  3rd longest in the NFL, just Bucs and Browns have longer droughts.

17 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

My issue with how mccagnan has treated the qb position is that he's treated it like any other position.  He has not prioritized it.  By comparison, tanny tried like heck to fix it. Brought in farve, traded up for Sanchez.  That's how you try.  And you know he's going to pull something this draft b/c tannihill can't stay healthy.  

Because in NY it’s too risky. In year 1 he had Geno who was the previous regime’s pick and was willing to go with him to start the season, and if he failed then no big deal it wasn’t his pick and plus he brought in a veteran quarterback as an insurance policy in Fitzpatrick. The aforementioned Fitzpatrick ended up becoming the starter and played well. The following offseason he chases Fitzpatrick because of fan and media pressure. The next offseason he signs McCown as an insurance while hoping Hackenberg beats out McCown and even Petty. The bottom line is that he plays it safe at the quarterback position in the hope that he can buy himself time until the next year. 

1 minute ago, August said:

Because in NY it’s too risky. In year 1 he had Geno who was the previous regime’s pick and was willing to go with him to start the season, and if he failed then no big deal it wasn’t his pick and plus he brought in a veteran quarterback as an insurance policy in Fitzpatrick. The aforementioned Fitzpatrick ended up becoming the starter and played well. The following offseason he chases Fitzpatrick because of fan and media pressure. The next offseason he signs McCown as an insurance while hoping Hackenberg beats out McCown and even Petty. The bottom line is that he plays it safe at the quarterback position in the hope that he can buy himself time until the next year. 

What mccagnan has misperceived is this:

1) it's too risky not to take chances finding a franchise qb

2) his biggest failure will be to have wimped out and completely abdicated his chances to draft one

3) he should have been taking a shot each year

4) if he finds one he has incredible job security here

and it's (4) where he's failed.  He thought that winning a few games with crappy old qbs was what would bring him job security.  If he had drafted Watson and he played like that for 5 games before tearing an acl, mccagnan would be hailed as a near-genius in jets gm lore.  In the past decades the only two jet qbs who were drafted who did anything were Pennington and o'brien, that's who his draft picks are being compared to by us fans.

So we're still blaming Rex 3 years into a different front office? The drafting was terrible for years. I get that. It's Mac's job, not Rex's, to make the Jets a competitor again. 3 years into a new regime is a very reasonable timeframe to expect more from the team.

This post is no different than Scarletknight? His posts make it sound like because circumstance hasn't favored Mac he gets a "get out of jail free" card. I disagree. Like somehow the world has treated him unfairly? If you take the job you inherit all of the responsibility that goes with it. That's just the way it is. 

Just now, Lith said:

Part of the problem under Tanny is that he knew we were close.  Tanny went all in to try to get over the top.  Giving up picks for Kris Jenkins, Holmes, Braylon, & Cro.  Moving up for Harris, Revis and Sanchez.  We had several years with just 3 or 4 draft picks.  After we came close in 09 & 10, we just didn't have enough young talent to replace the older veterans as we became tight under the cap.  The collapse may have come faster than expected, but it should not have been that hard to foresee.  And none of us would have cared had we won one of those two games in Pitt or Indy.

Add two below average GMs to follow him and you have a 7 year playoff drought.  3rd longest in the NFL, just Bucs and Browns have longer droughts.

Completely agree, I have an issue with our drafting from 2010-2014 in particular. I have no problem with them going all in but wiffing of Wilson, Coples, Milliner, Hill, Ducassee, Geno and Pryor hurt this team. I don't mind missing on players that make sense but each of those picks made little sense. I can justify Devin Smith because he was the type of player that Geno could have succeeded with and he didn't have injuries prior to his selection, IMO that is poor luck. Taking a player like Milliner who had a slew of injuries was a bone head move. Hack is really the only puzzling move Macc has made from a draft perspective, I think ultimately he would have liked to get a year or 2 out of Fitz and the vets, which would have allowed Hack to sit and develop spending a late 2nd on a QB is more of a shot in the dark, but the wheels came off and Fitz played like hot garbage. 

I think a QB this year will do wonders for this team, Macc has the picks, he has the money, and he has a slew of options available to him. He needs to make it happen or he will be gone.

2 minutes ago, Jetscreen said:

So we're still blaming Rex 3 years into a different front office? The drafting was terrible for years. I get that. It's Mac's job, not Rex's, to make the Jets a competitor again. 3 years into a new regime is a very reasonable timeframe to expect more from the team.

This post is no different than Scarletknight? His posts make it sound like because circumstance hasn't favored Mac he gets a "get out of jail free" card. I disagree. Like somehow the world has treated him unfairly? If you take the job you inherit all of the responsibility that goes with it. That's just the way it is. 

I'm not absolving Macc for his short comings but I think missing on Wilson, Coples, Hill, Milliner, Ducasse, Geno, Amaro and Pryor seriously hurt the foundation of this team. Those are selections that should have been difference makers through the last 3 years. 

Completely agree, I have an issue with our drafting from 2010-2014 in particular. I have no problem with them going all in but wiffing of Wilson, Coples, Milliner, Hill, Ducassee, Geno and Pryor hurt this team. I don't mind missing on players that make sense but each of those picks made little sense. I can justify Devin Smith because he was the type of player that Geno could have succeeded with and he didn't have injuries prior to his selection, IMO that is poor luck. Taking a player like Milliner who had a slew of injuries was a bone head move. Hack is really the only puzzling move Macc has made from a draft perspective, I think ultimately he would have liked to get a year or 2 out of Fitz and the vets, which would have allowed Hack to sit and develop spending a late 2nd on a QB is more of a shot in the dark, but the wheels came off and Fitz played like hot garbage. 

I think a QB this year will do wonders for this team, Macc has the picks, he has the money, and he has a slew of options available to him. He needs to make it happen or he will be gone.

Absolutely.  Tanny also traded up for Keller and Greene -- leaving us with even less picks.  Trading away draft picks and then not hitting on the ones remaining gutted the roster that Idzik and ultimately Macc inherited.  And in 5 years, we have not been able to rebuild and that is on the two guys that followed him.  Not Tanny.

14 hours ago, nycdan said:

While most teams use their premium picks for premium positions like QB and pass rusher and try to find late-round starters at OG, S, DT and ILB, we do the opposite.  That is Macc's strategy, following on the heels of it being Idzik's strategy. 

Just for comparison, PHI's last 5 1st round picks were DE, QB, WR, DE, LT.  Ours were S, ILB, DT, S, DT. 

Yay Jets.  

2015 Executive of the Year, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

What mccagnan has misperceived is this:

1) it's too risky not to take chances finding a franchise qb

2) his biggest failure will be to have wimped out and completely abdicated his chances to draft one

3) he should have been taking a shot each year

4) if he finds one he has incredible job security here

and it's (4) where he's failed.  He thought that winning a few games with crappy old qbs was what would bring him job security.  If he had drafted Watson and he played like that for 5 games before tearing an acl, mccagnan would be hailed as a near-genius in jets gm lore.  In the past decades the only two jet qbs who were drafted who did anything were Pennington and o'brien, that's who his draft picks are being compared to by us fans.

It’s better to win games with veterans than draft a quarterback and stake your reputation on said quarterback only to watch the QB fail. He learned from the previous regimes mistakes (Tanny with Sanchez and Idzik with Geno) Mac wants to keep his job and picking a bust in NY is something gm’s don’t recover from. The fans are too impatient and the media will echo the same thoughts of the fans just for clicks. Play it safe with the likes of Fitzpatrick and McCown and buy yourself time until the next year and hope that either the likes of Petty or Hackenberg emerge or sign a veteran quarterback. It’s the reason why Mac is going so hard after Cousins...

23 minutes ago, Lith said:

Absolutely.  Tanny also traded up for Keller and Greene -- leaving us with even less picks.  Trading away draft picks and then not hitting on the ones remaining gutted the roster that Idzik and ultimately Macc inherited.  And in 5 years, we have not been able to rebuild and that is on the two guys that followed him.  Not Tanny.

I guess I lean on giving Mac this year because of the short comings he inherited. Just get the QB and we'll figure out the rest.

14 hours ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

Whose the guy that Macc has missed out on who he should have drafted/signed?

In 2015 it wasn't an off season where the Jets were in a position to land a franchise caliber QB. Winston and Mariota went 1 and 2. He traded a conditional pick for Fitz (good move) and drafted a project in the 4th round in Petty. 4th round QBs very rarely work out. It was a low risk low reward move. But he got a veteran QB for nothing who had a great season for us.

In 2016 he brought back Fitz who was coming off of a 10 win season and a career year and drafted a project in the second round. That was a terrible pick but it was one pick. There was nobody else for the Jets to bring back besides Fitz in FA.

Last year again, whose the guy they should have drafted? Mahomes or Watson? We'll see how their careers develop. He made a smart move by not paying for a guy like Glennon or Cutler. Signed McCown to a team friendly contract and hoped Hack would develop. It was a bad pick. They do happen.

My point is he hasn't really had a legit chance to land a franchise caliber QB. He's got one this off season.

The level of poop is so high in this post that I feel obligated to respond even though others have rejected this notion many times already in the thread.

Since Mac has taken over the Jets, he's been the least active and urgent GM in the entire league in regards to filling the QB position other than the Cardinals.  In fact, every other QB needy team in the entire NFL (Eagles, Rams, Bills, KC, Texans, 49'ers, Vikings, Redskins, Indy, Chicago) all have aggressively addressed the QB position and for the most part, they've been successful.  Literally every single QB needy team has solved their QB issue with options the Jets had while Mac has been the GM.  The only teams who havent at least aggressively tried; Browns and Broncos and they're both in much better positions to fix it this year than the Jets. 

4 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

He did try. He’s on record saying ‘too costly’. He did pass on Watson and Mahomes. Nothing in my post is hypothetical. I don’t do hypothetical arguments, I’m not a half-ass Ape. 

Mac was quoted saying it was too costly to move up for Wentz?  It seems really out of character for him to give up that info.

11 hours ago, nycdan said:

Now here's the kicker.  And @dbatesman if you physically recoiled from my last post, then strap yourself in.  

As I suggested earlier and you clearly pointed out, we drafted all middle/run defense.  DT, DT, S, S, ILB.  The Eagles drafted offense and edge/pass defense.

So now let's look at 2017 team rushing defense stats.  Seriously, if you are not sitting down comfortably, do so.

Okay..here we go.

PHI - allowed 79.2 ypg avg.  1st in NFL

NYJ - allowed 117.9 ypg avg. 24th in NFL 

I...have....no....words.

Wow. When you think about it in these terms, that's actually prodigious levels of incompetence.

Perhaps instead of scorn, we should be celebrating the clear genius we are privileged to witness. Not any old boob can be this bad, it takes someone uniquely adept at it to reach these levels.

15 minutes ago, August said:

It’s better to win games with veterans than draft a quarterback and stake your reputation on said quarterback only to watch the QB fail. He learned from the previous regimes mistakes (Tanny with Sanchez and Idzik with Geno) Mac wants to keep his job and picking a bust in NY is something gm’s don’t recover from. The fans are too impatient and the media will echo the same thoughts of the fans just for clicks. Play it safe with the likes of Fitzpatrick and McCown and buy yourself time until the next year and hope that either the likes of Petty or Hackenberg emerge or sign a veteran quarterback. It’s the reason why Mac is going so hard after Cousins...

I completely disagree.  You won't ever contend for a championship the way mccagnan has approached qb.  If Brady and belichick were never around the afc would have been dominated by Peyton and rothlisberger.  You either find a real qb or you're just peddling to keep your job another year.  If mccagnan finds a qb in this year's draft he's got at least 5 years of job security.

14 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The second you sign on the line to become a general manager, your entire life depends on you getting a long-term answer at quarterback, and surrounding that quarterback with the coaches and players that quarterback needs to be successful. Everything else is peripheral. If Macc thought that Ryan Fitzpatrick was his long-term answer, then he deserves to be where he is now: presiding over the most hopeless roster situation in the NFL. 

You think Mac has any say in who any of the coach’s are?

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Something like 14 teams have changed starting QBs since Maccagnan took over.  BUT HIS HANDS WERE TIED!!!!

But we DID change our starting QB once under Macc.  We swapped out our 34-year old journeyman for a 38-year old journeyman.

I keep reading how Hackenberg was only one pick, but what about the others?  Which pick is outperforming his draft position?  Taken on an individual basis, they may make sense, but as an aggregate where are the hits? IMO, only Williams, Adams, Maye and Jenkins are true starters.  Maybe if you include the punter, but c'mon. 

We are three years in and people are still talking about guys like Stewart, Hansen, Shell, McGuire and Burris like they are solid picks.  If one pans out it would be a surprise.  If you are sticking to your board, the lower half of your roster should be full, but we are chasing Demario Davis and paying Ben Ijalana $5M to sit.  The only way these things should have happened would be if we were dumping all assets into finding a QB, but can you guess what?

12 hours ago, jgb said:

It's even more basic than that. As GM your job is to get a QB. If you fail, you fail. Excuses don't matter in a results-based business.

But beside the QB point, he burned $80 million his first year and look where we are now. That's a fireable offense.

But where did he fail is my point? My point is he's never really took a swing. That's all.

The $80 million he spent in year 1 is a fair point. If you want him fired over that then that's fair. 

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

He has made good picks. I don't know what that's suppose to mean. I'm not saying Macc has been perfect. He deserves criticism for the Hack pick.

Which picks were good?  Objectively, the only one is Jenkins.  I don't see how you pat him on the back for picking starters at #6 overall. 

Archived