Stop Suggesting the Jets Will/Should Cut Anderson

Doggin94it

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Gross

I did not mean it in that way, you creep.  I meant it like, what FA Qb wouldnt chose the NY Jets and pass up the chance to throw to Robbie Anderson and Martavis Braynt?  Christmas at the Cousins would be fantastic. 

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I did not mean it in that way, you creep.  I meant it like, what FA Qb wouldnt chose the NY Jets and pass up the chance to throw to Robbie Anderson and Martavis Braynt?  Christmas at the Cousins would be fantastic. 

Still gross

21 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

You people are crazy.

That's not a conclusion I've reached lightly.  But it's absolutely the only reasonable conclusion to draw from the evidence, which is the repeated demands that the Jets cut a young, productive, cost-controlled player on the rise because of stupid off the field indiscretions that neither impact the Jets as a team nor cross a line into a moral monstrosity so large that keeping him on the team is a moral problem.

Let's review the "Robby Anderson ****s up" timeline, shall we?

• May 8, 2017: Robby is at a music festival in Miami, is told to leave, refuses, gets arrested, and charged with resisting arrest for "tensing his body".  Let's take every aspect of the story in the worst possible light for Robbie, assume the officer was completely in the right on everything, and Anderson's resistance was completely unwarranted.
  • Jan 19, 2018: Robby is stopped for speeding at a ridiculous 105 in a 45 at 2:00 am.  After trying to speed away from being pulled over, running multiple red lights and weaving across the road, he's arrested, and in the back seat of the police car and mouths off to the officer, saying that when he gets out, he's going to find the officer's wife and jerk off into her eye.  Again, Anderson "braces, tenses, and refuses" to follow directions when the officer tries to put him in the cop car.  He's charged with resisting an officer/obstruction without violence; felony harm to a public servant or family; felony fleeing/eluding while lights/siren active; reckless driving; failure to drive in a single lane; two counts of disobeying/avoiding a red light; speeding; and turning without a signal.
  • Per ESPN, Robby's also been charged with 10 other traffic offenses, including a prior resisting arrest charge coming out of one in 2014 (the charge was dropped).
  • Just recently, he told Chris Carter to screw off for lecturing him.

You know what's not on there?  Murder.  Assault.  Theft. Anything at all  that involves harm to another person.  That includes the police officers who were arresting him - his "resistance" is never violent; he tenses up and makes it harder for the officer to cuff him or put him in the vehicle.  That's it.

Is any of this good, or acceptable?  Of course not.  The comment about the officer's wife was juvenile, but the idea that Anderson really meant it and intended to follow through is beyond farfetched.  Robby's clearly got major problems with authority, that he needs to get under control.

But why in the world does any of that mean the Jets should cut him?  Is he hurting the team?  Absolutely not, except to the extent he gets suspended and isn't there because of it (and guys, if that's your problem with him, I've got bad news for you: if the Jets cut him, he won't be on the field for any of their games).  Can the Jets easily replace him with a similarly talented player who will give us equivalent production at the same low cost?  Um ... no.

It makes no football sense at all to cut Anderson.  It makes no business sense at all to cut Anderson.  You're embarrassed to root for the team because of him?  Grow up.  He's no choir boy, but traffic violations and not enjoying getting arrested aren't some incomprehensible evil.

He's on the team.  He should continue to be on the team.  And I hope he gets the mental health help he clearly needs while remaining on the team.

Cut Robby Anderson?  You guys are crazy.

I don't understand how any of your defense changes the way things are? It doesn't matter that most of his offenses are normally misdemeanor offenses? What matters is being available to play for the NYJ? Just like injury prone players, players who are not available to play for the NYJ are players that are considered "Unreliable". So what he actually did is irrelevant to being available to play for the NYJ. Whether you think it's a victimless crime or not is not relevant if the commissioner decides to take action against Anderson? He's still not on the field to catch passes on game day for the NYJ because he's serving a suspension applied by Goodell.

And now? We have two infractions and counting that he is subject to punishment by the commissioner AND under the normal repeat offenses policy put forth by the league, Anderson is more than likely walking on thin ice? PROBABLY after all of this is said and done, he'll be a single f*ck up away from a VERY lengthy suspension? Now, I can't remember exactly what the punishments are? For a third violation, it's normally what? 8 games?

Assuming that's correct you're looking at missing the second best WR on the team for half the season if he screws up again. And when I say "thin ice", I mean anything that Goodell may decide to get a hair across his a$$ about? Hell, it could something as stupid as jaywalking, right?

And just for your consideration, criminal speeding may not harm another person at the time that you do it, but it's still, in the eyes of the law, handled as though it IS harm against the public.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see a player that is dumber than a brick and headed for a lengthy suspension? If that happens, we have to consider other options because the NYJ need players that are RELIABLE. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived