Lets take a second to thank the Dolphins, Bills, and Browns

SenorGato

10 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Shtick. Got it. Nevermind.

No legit. Do any of you guys actually want to walk me through which team is choosing to drop almost 20 spots in the draft? Preferably I would like to hear it from yourself or anyone else who often enough champions the stupidity of trading down. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

No legit. Does any of you guys actually want to walk me through which team is choosing to drop almost 20 spots in the draft? Preferably I would like to hear it from yourself or anyone else who often enough champions the stupidity of trading down. 

The Browns traded out of drafting Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson in consecutive years, so I guess I’d start there. And the outcome is only part of this. The Bills actively tried to lose games, made the playoffs anyway, and still ended up with more draft picks than us. But by all means, tell me more about how a team that rebuilds by playing Josh McCown and Matt Forte is better positioned for the future than a team with six picks in the top 100.

26 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The Dolphins probably aren’t happening because Tannenbaum’s a ******* dunce, but the Bills are a little scary, and anyway saying that we’re better positioned than they are is pure foolishness.

When doing the math on the Bills' ability to trade up, don't forget to factor in Cordy Glenn.  He could turn into another 2nd day pick or the equivalent in a trade to the right team.  

21 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

The Browns traded out of drafting Carson Wentz and Deshaun Watson in consecutive years, so I guess I’d start there. And the outcome is only part of this. The Bills actively tried to lose games, made the playoffs anyway, and still ended up with more draft picks than us. 

The Browns traded down to pick 8+++ for Wentz and 25++ got the Texans pick 12. Jeebus and I'm the schtick guy...I will congratulate them on their mediocre 2017 concluding with a WC loss, what a rush that must have been, but those picks still aren't going to do what you guys seem to think. All that work for Josh Allen....

6 hours ago, SenorGato said:

The Browns traded down to pick 8+++ for Wentz and 25++ got the Texans pick 12. Jeebus and I'm the schtick guy...I will congratulate them on their mediocre 2017 concluding with a WC loss, what a rush that must have been, but those picks still aren't going to do what you guys seem to think. All that work for Josh Allen....

I don’t think those picks are going to do anything. I’m saying that when you’re rebuilding, I’d rather have a GM/coach combo that aggressively stockpiles picks than one that rides Josh McCown to its second straight 6th overall pick. I have no idea what you’re on about with Allen. You say the Bills don’t have the ammo to leapfrog us, so how exactly is that happening? You think Maccagnan is going to pass on a big doofus who can throw the ball a mile but can’t hit a tire from ten yards away? 

11 hours ago, SenorGato said:

1 - No, they don't. No one wants to move ****in' 20 spots down unless they're getting the Bills' entire draft plus some future picks.

2 - Uuuh...alrighty then. Rizzo's a perrenial MVP candidate too but that's some hipster sh*t. Edit: I might be underselling Rizzo, career year a'comin, but also Bryant is that good. 

I'm more concerned about the Dolphins than the Bills. Tannehill has 2 ACL tears, Gase wants his own QB, and Trader Mike will do whatever he can to get in front of us.

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I don’t think those picks are going to do anything. I’m saying that when you’re rebuilding, I’d rather have a GM/coach combo that aggressively stockpiles picks than one that rides Josh McCown to its second straight 6th overall pick. I have no idea what you’re on about with Allen. You say the Bills don’t have the ammo to leapfrog us, so how exactly is that happening? You think Maccagnan is going to pass on a big doofus who can throw the ball a mile but can’t hit a tire from ten yards away? 

We're getting Cousins and the draft QB they've been most tied to is Mayfield. I also don't think three picks in the top 50 is so jokey when you're also the team that can spend the most in a solid and young FA group (Cousins, Burton, Richardson, Jensen, Watkins, Norwell, several CBs, Hubbard and probably soon James, Pugh is a solid OL, possibly Bell). Before something about how we're doomed because FA is evil or whatever, you're hj'ing the Bills for getting a bunch of picks that'll set them up to land the 4th QB drafted.

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I'm more concerned about the Dolphins than the Bills. Tannehill has 2 ACL tears, Gase wants his own QB, and Trader Mike will do whatever he can to get in front of us.

If it's even possible, I'm less concerned about the Dohins than I am the Bills. If either of these teams do something impressive with these picks, I will be the first person here to politely golf clap, but not so deep down we all know.

The Bills are clearly scary because dumping Tyrod for a 3rd (leaving them with nothing but Nathan Peterman who was atrocious in his only appearance last year) is clear evidence they're all in on trading up for a QB -- and the worst case scenario for the Jets (assuming no Cousins) is a division rival jumping us and taking a QB we could have had. (Unless they're jumping us for strong armed Josh Allen -- you need a QB with big hands and a strong arm in the cold Buffalo weather, mirite?)

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

The Bills are clearly scary because dumping Tyrod for a 3rd (leaving them with nothing but Nathan Peterman who was atrocious in his only appearance last year) is clear evidence they're all in on trading up for a QB -- and the worst case scenario for the Jets (assuming no Cousins) is a division rival jumping us and taking a QB we could have had. (Unless they're jumping us for strong armed Josh Allen -- you need a QB with big hands and a strong arm in the cold Buffalo weather, mirite?)

No one in the top 5 is dropping themselves 16+ spots down. Good luck finding any precedent for that in league history that also ended well for the trading down. 

14 hours ago, gEYno said:

Nothing bad happened for the Jets today, but I'm not sure why we can say that anything good happened.  There's still plenty of bad signings to be had.  If history is any indicator, we will still find some of them.

I missed this, but I guess this is a compromise. Nothing bad happened but the Jets will botch it anyway. Now THAT is possible, not the Bills getting gifted 16+ spots in the draft.

25 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

We're getting Cousins and the draft QB they've been most tied to is Mayfield. I also don't think three picks in the top 50 is so jokey when you're also the team that can spend the most in a solid and young FA group (Cousins, Burton, Richardson, Jensen, Watkins, Norwell, several CBs, Hubbard and probably soon James, Pugh is a solid OL, possibly Bell). Before something about how we're doomed because FA is evil or whatever, you're hj'ing the Bills for getting a bunch of picks that'll set them up to land the 4th QB drafted.

Oh man you’re right, I forgot that Cousins and all the other good FAs are coming here

8 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Oh man you’re right, I forgot that Cousins and all the other good FAs are coming here

Well it's totally a maybe. I've heard money isn't so valuable from a crowd I've had to link things like time value of money and supply and demand to. Nobody wants money but bad players or something.

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

if you don’t think Kirk Cousins is coming here allow me to point you to the theory of supply side economics thanks

Hmmm....nah, still doesn't cover any ground. 

End of the day - you guys are banking on money not being valuable to good players and the Bills pulling off a historically unprecedented (as far as I am aware) draft move. I guess good luck to us all in our guesses.

1 minute ago, SenorGato said:

Hmmm....nah, still doesn't cover any ground. 

End of the day - you guys are banking on money not being valuable to good players and the Bills pulling off a historically unprecedented (as far as I am aware) draft move. I guess good luck to us all in our guesses.

Nah nah nah. I agree with your point that the Bills can’t pull off any trade that the Jets aren’t theoretically in a better position to also pull off. But the idea that the Jets are going to offer $1 more to Cousins to come play here and he’s gonna hop on his calculator and be swayed is silly.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Nah nah nah. I agree with your point that the Bills can’t pull off any trade that the Jets aren’t theoretically in a better position to also pull off. But the idea that the Jets are going to offer $1 more to Cousins to come play here and he’s gonna hop on his calculator and be swayed is silly.

I'm the son of first generation immigrants from I assume a third world country. It is impossible to sell me on the idea that money isn't so valuable to anyone, it is what Charles Barkley might call it "white noise." In a league where the players have been ****ed with by ownership in CBAs for decades and we're seeing more and more players notice and act, I don't believe in this discount sh*t. This isn't baseball where Cousins might turn down $200 million to take $180 because the team offered other life related things (real situation with Heyward and the Cubs, Lester before that); the Jets are the only ones who can offer almost anything without hurting themselves.

7 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

I'm the son of first generation immigrants from I assume a third world country. It is impossible to sell me on the idea that money isn't so valuable to anyone, it is what Charles Barkley might call it "white noise." In a league where the players have been ****ed with by ownership in CBAs for decades and we're seeing more and more players notice and act, I don't believe in this discount sh*t. This isn't baseball where Cousins might turn down $200 million to take $180 because the team offered other life related things (real situation with Heyward and the Cubs, Lester before that); the Jets are the only ones who can offer almost anything without hurting themselves.

The Browns can also do that, and are arguably better situated to do so given their draft picks, unless you’re thinking the Jets are going to give Cousins the $90 million in the first year of his deal.

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Browns can also do that, and are arguably better situated to do so given their draft picks, unless you’re thinking the Jets are going to give Cousins the $90 million in the first year of his deal.

The Jets have something like $20 million more in cap space, the Browns own their choice of draft QB, and they just traded for a $10 million dollar QB. 

I mean sure, they COULD do something I guess, but like the Bills and Dolphins we all know they're coming up short and probably not doing anything anyway.*

I leave the door open on the Vikings to get a discount only because I'm polite. Beyond them, I see zero competition for Cousins worth sweating over.

*The Browns, like the Jets, are a team I believe will walk out of this offseason way ahead of where they were. The Bills and Dolphins less so, but I do expect Buffalo to be mostly competent as usual.

16 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

If it's all about money you can make a few money based  arguments to go to MN (taxes being one). At his age he should be thinking about the next contract in addition to this contract. Going to a team with a higher likelihood of success in near term increases the likelihood he'll get 1 more big contract after this one. Coming to the talent deprived jets, in a sh*tty stadium to rack of gaudy stats, with a conservative coach makes the prospect of 1 more big deal tenuous at best.

8 minutes ago, CTM said:

If it's all about money you can make a money  argument to go to MN (taxes being one). At his age he should be thinking about the next contract in addition to this contract. Going to a team with a higher likelihood of success in near term increases the likelihood he'll get 1 more big contract after this one. Coming to the talent deprived jets, in a sh*tty stadium to rack of gaudy stats makes the prospect of 1 more big deal tenuous at best.

If we look at the next three years of FA, espcially this first one, as a union thing - Cousins has done pro union things like threatening a greivance if tagged this year - the outside stuff are a non-factor. For many of the more aware players - often the top players too - this is about setting themselves AND their fellow players for years after them. Take the same mentality you guys have on him taking a discount - why not for a more obvious win now situation, he's rich anyway - and apply it to taking more nominal money and less real money to set up a better future for all players.

Expect the players and their union to hold a no discount mantra. 

If we look at the next three years of FA, espcially this first one, as a union thing - Cousins has done pro union things like threatening a greivance if tagged this year - the outside stuff are a non-factor. For many of the more aware players - often the top players too - this is about setting themselves AND their fellow players for years after them.  

Expect the players and their union to hold a no discount mantra. 

Star QB's make like 20-25x NFL median salary, add in endorsements that they get and the JAG's don't and that figure is way higher.  I don't think I'll hold my breath for the stars to let whats best for the league as a whole dictate their personal decision making

1 minute ago, CTM said:

Star QB's make like 20-25x NFL median salary, add in endorsements that they get and the JAG's don't and that figure is way higher.  I don't think I'll hold my breath for the stars to let whats best for the league as a whole dictate their personal decision making

They're not doing what is best for the league - that would be taking the discount so many want them to take. 

1 hour ago, SenorGato said:

No one in the top 5 is dropping themselves 16+ spots down. Good luck finding any precedent for that in league history that also ended well for the trading down. 

Why that team would not only demand pick #21 but also their #22 pick in the draft.. Along with another. The bills are more desperate than the jets now. Mac never over pays. We miss out on trading up every yr because he says “ the price was too high..” ect..

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Why that team would not only demand pick #21 but also their #22 pick in the draft.. Along with another. The bills are more desperate than the jets now. Mac never over pays. We miss out on trading up every yr because he says “ the price was too high..” ect..

Again - open floor to anyone who wants to bring forth real life precedent for a team in the top 5 moving down 16+ spots right off the bat.

And lol @ the Mac never overpays sh*t....That's just convenient to say here as you are one of the many who constantly whine about the Jets overpaying players under these guys.

Again - open floor to anyone who wants to bring forth real life precedent for a team in the top 5 moving down 16+ spots right off the bat.

Lol. Draft is different every yr man. Show me a precedent where a team in the top 5 was even offered back to back picks later in first round ??

Just now, Jetsplayer21 said:

Lol. Draft is different every yr man. Show me a precedent where a team in the top 5 was even offered back to back picks later in first round ??

The Jets with Robertson. Zero effort. Looks like I've booted up your troll programming...

8 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

? what about Robertson ? Take it easy pal don’t blow a gasket lol. 

Isaid I forgive and forget but it does bother me Max banned me over you. You're clearly a troll, probably a bot, and couldn't even hold up for two posts without diving right back in to full troll mode.

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

Isaid I forgive and forget but it does bother me Max banned me over you. You're clearly a troll, probably a bot, and couldn't even hold up for two posts without diving right back in to full troll mode.

Lol I’m a troll because I disagree with you ? Is this Nazi Germany?  No. Your opinion is not the end all be all despite what “ you “ think. Im not a homer who dismisses all positives other teams have against us like you. All I said was bill’s have a ton of picks to trade up. And you are just running around trying to argue the world is flat.. 

The Bills had the 3rd oldest roster in the NFL last year.  So their long term plan is to mortgage all this draft capitol they have to install a Rookie QB who likely won't begin to pay dividends until their roster is crumbling?

I am not saying that is not what they are doing, going after a QB, but am I the only one who sees the flaws in this plan?

2 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The Bills had the 3rd oldest roster in the NFL last year.  So their long term plan is to mortgage all this draft capitol they have to install a Rookie QB who likely won't begin to pay dividends until their roster is crumbling?

I am not saying that is not what they are doing, going after a QB, but am I the only one who sees the flaws in this plan?

Not mortgage it all. But they can give a lot and still have picks left over to make their own picks. I don’t see them giving up both 1s both 2s and 3s and all that. 

Archived