Watch your Back, Mac; Jets in Danger of Being Leapfrogged by Division Foes?

13 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think our roster with a rookie QB is seen as less desirable than Miami or Buffalo with a rookie QB. Especially if Tannehill acts as the bridge and wins some games. It's totally subjective but I think we have the fire power to get a deal done, big question is if Macc will pull the trigger.

We stink, but they aren’t much better

It will probably be slightly better, but who knows

and I doubt teams would be counting on that 

• Post of the Week 1
11 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I think he's right, I think our 2019 1st will be more attractive than either other teams pick. That mixed with a top 6 pick might be enough to swing a trade.

I'm just not sure I agree with that - Keep in mind they're trading up to get a QB - meaning they'll be playing a rookie QB.          

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is geting old.  Buffalo and Miami are NOT powerhouses - the Jets have been a much more succesful franchise over the past decade. 

Neither of those teams have had a legitimate franchise QB since Marino/Kelly...

But all of sudden they know best.  Come on - let's just have a little bit of clarity.

Have you compared the rosters?  Here is what Mike Clay from ESPN had for his team by team rankings: 

D9293274-7ECD-4B50-ABD1-45C561D35A2C.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Why

We have had the 6th pick in three of the past four drafts.  Neither Buffalo or Miami has picked anywhere near as high nor do they have our track record.

Valueing 2019 1st round picks has nothing to do with who has been the better organization the past ten years.  It has to do with our FO and CS constantly being near the bottom team in the league the past two years.  As an organization, we have been quite bad for most of the past 7 seasons.

And Miami would probably not play the rookie right away and Buffalo made the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor.  I think if we polled the other 31 GMs, all 31 would agree that our 2019 1st round pick could be more valuable than any team in the league.

If Macc trades up for Josh Allen or goes all in wit McCown and Bridgewater, we very well could be looking at the #1 pick.

12 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Have you compared the rosters?  Here is what Mike Clay from ESPN had for his team by team rankings: 

D9293274-7ECD-4B50-ABD1-45C561D35A2C.jpeg

After 3 years, 32 in offense and 32 in defense.  And the GM and HC both got extensions.

There is a chance by doing nothing and keeping our 6th pick we could get the 3rd best QB in the draft.

Cleveland will pick one with their two picks.  The Giants will pick one.

The Colts may not.  If Cousin's goes to Denver we would get the 3rd best QB which could turn out to be the franchise.

We have to hope the Browns and the Colts don't trade down their picks to the Dolphins and the Bills.

Not sure we need to trade up.  We have so many other holes to fill.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

Houston is a perfect example of a team that went several seasons with no real answer at QB.  Eventually, you have to go all in on your guy.

They got away with not having a QB for so long due to being in a terrible division.

We have rallied behind trash to go up against Brady for basically his whole career.  Now the other two teams in our division sense the timing is perfect to get their QBs as Brady only has so much left.

So we can either get our guy or continue to be the AFC East b!tch while Josh Rosen (Bills) and Mayfield (Dolphins) prevent us from being relevant for another 10-15 years.

Jets will be given “right of first refusal” Before the  colts or browns would trade down that far. Jets will be in a position to get there man, it’s a matter of who they value more Mayfield

52 minutes ago, Lith said:

We still have enough draft capital to outbid either Miami or Buffalo.  These are the picks and values each team has (Miami is before the Landry trade):

Bills   Jets   Dolphins
Pick Points   Pick Points   Pick Points
21 800   6 1600   11 1250
22 780   37 530   42 480
53 370   49 410   73 225
55 350   72 230   130 42
65 265   107 80   198 11.8
96 116   157 28.2   223 2
121 52   179 19.4   229 1
158 27.8   235 1      
166 24.6            

2785.4     2898.6     2011.8

Reports are that Miami got two picks for Landry 18 & 19 picks between 3 & 7.  Cleveland traded their 3 to Buffalo, so the best Miami could have added in 2018 is a 4, worth 96 points, still leaving them well behind both us and Buffalo in draft capital. 

We still have enough to hold off either team.  As long as Macc is aggressive, and that is the piece that scares me more than either Mia or Buf.  Macc has the capital to outbid either team, but will he be aggressive enough to do it.

Not only can we outbid them, but the #6 pick is far more desirable than having the Bills 2 later 1st rounders or Miami's #11.  At #6, Colts would still be able to get Mikah or perhaps even Chubb.  I do think the Colts wait it out to see if Barkley is there at 33 though.  They will take Barkley at #3 if he's still on the board.  But if Cleveland takes Barkley at #1 (which I now fully expect), then the Colts might trade out of slot #3.  I think Cleveland takes Barkley at 1 and Mayfield or Allen at 4.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

So a bunch of fans say.  The OWNER is who counts, and he's out of the loop the next few years.  We have no idea what his stand-in brother thinks, apart from the extension he handed these two losers.

I know fans think they got a GM fired.....they didn't.  Fans have no power of any kind.

Won't hear any disagreement from me.  If I were the Jets GM our QB's would be Watson/Connor Cook/Anyone but Hack!

THe fans have little to no say, but Manish Mehta is still very influential to the Jets it seems.  :)   

And Woody is not out of the loop.  He's the final decision maker still.  His brother is just the conduit.  

1 hour ago, XavierSnooze said:

Mac needs to sac up and get creative. What do Dave Gettlemam and the giants want more than anything? Cap space, so he can rebuild the o-line.

Call the Giants this week before free agency starts and offer the 6th pick, the 49th pick, and take on 10-15 mil in poor contracts. This gives the giants cap flexibility to address their needs while only dropping down four spots, instead of to the 20’s if they trade with the bills. 15 mil in contracts (possibly dead money if we waive the players) is not a large price to pay to secure our qb of the future.

It would be nice if we could trade up without giving away future picks, and the only way is through the Giants (colts and browns already have enough cap space).

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I agree with the concept but it is going to cost a whole hell of a lot more than our 2nd pick in the second round.  Going up to 4 is going to cost us either our first second rounder plus a 3rd, or next year’s #1.  To get to #2, we are talking about multiple #1 picks plus some change.

Maybe taking on some of their bad contracts would minimize this a bit, but those two extra wins we got last year are going to hurt us for the next few seasons.

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

THe fans have little to no say, but Manish Mehta is still very influential to the Jets it seems.  :)   

And Woody is not out of the loop.  He's the final decision maker still.  His brother is just the conduit.  

The fans don’t have a say but last year’s attendance has already caught the attention of ownership.  Trying to sell the fan base on Teddy Bridgewater while the Giants roll out their heir apparent in Josh Rosen is going to be laughable.

Tickets were basically being given away last December.  Without something bold, that will be the case this Sept.

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

The fans don’t have a say but last year’s attendance has already caught the attention of ownership.  Trying to sell the fan base on Teddy Bridgewater while the Giants roll out their heir apparent in Josh Rosen is going to be laughable.

Tickets were basically being given away last December.  Without something bold, that will be the case this Sept.

This is very real.  Tanny survived as long as he did here b/c he took chances, brought in offensive talent and actually got to the playoffs twice.  Mccagnan hasn't drafted an offensive weapon yet in 3 years, hasn't made the playoffs and still hasn't brought in a 'draw' for the fans.  It wasn't that long ago the fans flew banners over florham park.  

The Bills don’t make this deal without:

- Having a pending deal with a free agent already and/or

- Having a deal to trade up in place or at least the parameters of the trade up being worked out.

As soon as Cousins signs elsewhere Mac needs to outbid Buffalo for the trade up.

First this and next season, both of our second rounders this year gets us to a top pick if the Browns are selling, and definitly get us to #2 or 3. 

With our roster, our team will be projected for another top 10 pick next year. The Bills are a playoff team, and trading up from the 20’s. Our picks have much more value. Time to cash in and end the drought.

• Post of the Week 1
2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Macc missing on Cousins and then being leapfrogged in the draft by both Miami and Buffalo?

Least surprising thing I could imagine tbqh.

Macc has shown he's simply not up to this job.  

I've told you folks, we're either looking at Bridgewater/Jackson/Hack or McCown/Falk/Hack in 2018 and beyond.

Agreed.

The guy is never proactive, and that isn’t just seen in Drafts it’s also seen in not dumping bad signings he has made or players who will want much more than they are worth.

Totally in over his head, as is the other idiot that was given the head coach’s job.

Unfortunately, and this is how incompetent the only 2 black sheep Johnson brothers are, the handwriting is on the wall, as inept as Maccagnan is, he can’t be that stupid in thinking he can just cowardly pick the Consensus “best player in the draft”, even if the player is redundant, in the 1st Rd this year.  He knows it’s going to have to be a QB to try to SAVE HIS OWN JOB....and the guy is going to get FLEECED.  I’ve already seen it too many times.  The rest of the League “sees our guy coming” and after they’ve stopped snickering they make him pay.  So to get a QB, one of the “Consenus” ones....he’s going to give away the store.  The Jets aren’t going to have a 1st or 2nd Rd draft pick for awhile.....and the QB this idiot selects?  Will Bust.  For the Johnsons to keep a guy around who is in panic mode makes absolutely no sense.

The Best question I think is that after Maccagnan is fired does anyone think he even gets hired to be a Scout again? I wouldn’t hire him to do that.  I wouldn’t even hire him to go on Coffee runs.  Why why why???? was this guy sent to the Jets?  Whole thing is a sick joke.

I cant see the browns having any desire to trade. They already have tons of picks and holes filled. 

Their team is stacked right now and they got cash. I see them grabbing barkley and 1 of the 3 best qbs. Extra 2, 3, 5, 6, rounders dont compare to 1 and 4, especially in their situation

17 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

The Bills don’t make this deal without:

- Having a pending deal with a free agent already and/or

- Having a deal to trade up in place or at least the parameters of the trade up being worked out.

As soon as Cousins signs elsewhere Mac needs to outbid Buffalo for the trade up.

First this and next season, both of our second rounders this year gets us to a top pick if the Browns are selling, and definitly get us to #2 or 3. 

With our roster, our team will be projected for another top 10 pick next year. The Bills are a playoff team, and trading up from the 20’s. Our picks have much more value. Time to cash in and end the drought.

I agree that Buffalo didn’t trade Taylor without already having another deal in place.  I know the timing wasn’t great as they needed to avoid his bonus, but there is still no way to do that deal without having the parameters of a trade with Cleveland for 4 or at worst, a done deal with McCarron or Keenim.

1 hour ago, Pcola said:

I agree that Buffalo didn’t trade Taylor without already having another deal in place.  I know the timing wasn’t great as they needed to avoid his bonus, but there is still no way to do that deal without having the parameters of a trade with Cleveland for 4 or at worst, a done deal with McCarron or Keenim.

Browns won’t trade that pick with a team that far back - they have plenty of picks already.

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

After 3 years, 32 in offense and 32 in defense.  And the GM and HC both got extensions.

which proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that the real problem with this franchise is the terribly incompetent ownership by Woody Johnson and his li'l brother.  Our woes all start and end with that idiot.  Aren't we so lucky to have the Johnsons?

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Obrien2Toon said:

We stink, but they aren’t much better

It will probably be slightly better, but who knows

and I doubt teams would be counting on that 

Yes but they will need to beat out our offer. As it stands right now our total value of picks is worth more. If they say 2019 picks are even I don't see how they could beat our offer. Only issue is what Macc is willing to deal.

5 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm just not sure I agree with that - Keep in mind they're trading up to get a QB - meaning they'll be playing a rookie QB.          

Yes but even if 2019 picks are even we still have more ammo unless quantity of picks means more than the value of the individual picks

15 hours ago, Pcola said:

Bills might even be dealing for Nick Foles, who the Jets should have been strongly considering well before Cousins slips through our fingers next week.  Dealing for Foles would still leave us plenty of picks and FA cash to begin to turn our franchise around. A SB MVP and Patriot Killer!  What's not to like? 

6 hours ago, AZJets fan said:

Bills might even be dealing for Nick Foles, who the Jets should have been strongly considering well before Cousins slips through our fingers next week.  Dealing for Foles would still leave us plenty of picks and FA cash to begin to turn our franchise around. A SB MVP and Patriot Killer!  What's not to like? 

I think the book on Foles is still up in the air.  Is he a product of superior coaching?  I don’t know that our CS or coaching philosophy, or the talent around Foles would be anywhere near what he had during his successful years.

Im still trying to figure out how Macc and Bowles turn this thing around.  This is going to be a huge week for both of them.

On 3/10/2018 at 6:37 AM, JetNation said:

IMG_5325.jpg

The bad news for the New York Jets and GM Mike Maccagnan is that a pair of division rivals, the Miami Dolphins and Buffalo Bills, appear to be stockpiling draft picks to make a run at or near the top of the draft, possibly leapfrogging the Jets to snag a franchise quarterback.  The good news however, is that one could make the case that Gang Green still holds more chips than both division rivals in terms of draft capital.

Even after the Dolphins moved wide receiver Jarvis Landry to the Browns, which is where the Bills also sent starting quarterback Tyrod Taylor in exchange for additional picks, it appears the Jets are still in a good position to move up to the top three or four picks, and here’s why.

While the famed NFL draft value chart is far from scientific, universal or iron-clad, a look at the version provided by profootballtalk shows the Jets as still having more value in their top four picks than the Dolphins have with their entire class, or than the Bills have with their top six picks.

Per the provided chart, with selections 6, 37, 49 and 72, the Jets picks carry a total value of 2,683 points.  That total is more than all of Miami’s picks combined with numbers 11, 42, 73, 123, 131, 183, 223 and 229 totalling 2,066.  As far as the Bills, the Jets top four picks are just about on par with Buffalo’s top six picks, no’s 21, 22, 53, 56, 65 and 96, which total 2,671 points.

So the question that remains is this, of the three teams, which is willing to include additional premium picks or players in coming years?  Is it worth it for either franchise to send multiple first or second-round picks to the Browns, Giants, Colts or…yes, the Browns again, who pick 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th respectively?

It’s a question Maccagnan is going to have to spend a lot of time asking himself. Because if he’s not aggressive enough, and allows a division rival to acquire a franchise quarterback that they covet as well, it could very well cost Maccagnan his job should the Jets fail to sign Kirk Cousins.

The Cousins end of the equation will resolve itself in the coming days, and if he goes to Minnesota as expected, it’ll be time for Mac to get work the phones and do whatever it takes to get in top three or four picks.  If he’s able to swing a deal, it will be due largely in part to having pick number six, which could allow a team in the top 3 to trade down multiple times and pick up additional premium picks.

This is easily the most critical time in Mike Maccagnan’s tenure and he can’t afford to get outdone.  If he does, there’s a good chance it’s the last time it will happen to him in his current post.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs

LhvA74hFCOs

Click here to read the full story...

okay so the jets have some good draft positions.  that doesn't mean they need to use them to move up, especially is they can land cousins or some other decent qb.  the whole point is using draft capital to move up is just as foolish as trying to make up a team of free agents.  there needs to be a balance between the two and if the jets do get a guy like cousins, who will demand a hefty cap hit, then they need the draft picks to fill in other positions at short money. maybe cousins will be resolved today so we can finally be able to focus on the draft or other free agent positions.

mac has no business being a gm in the NFL-he failed bigly on the most important position in the game-the hackenberg pick was beyond criminal-many fans said it since day one-his defenders said lets see how it develops "still too early" -how long do we have to wait? He cant play even in exhibition games. Mac loved the upside in Petty as well. This will be a classic Jets draft-a qb where be there for the taking like with Marino but the jets will draft some guy nobody really knows aka our Ken Obrien over Marino...

As long as we have the mac bowles tandem our team will suck-our genius coach that is a defense guy-had a team with numerous first round picks and our d was one of the in the league and now we have one by one sent our high draft picks packing-Rex may have been the leader of the clown show towards the end but I am certain if he had these guys on defense the past few years our D would have been MUCH better-the only thing Bowles is good at is mismanaging the clock and having a stupid look on his face

• Like 1

There's a lot of truth to this title? My opinion is Mac has already shown he has no willingness to trade up. He's too afraid to make the big splash. He could have traded up in 2016 to grab an OL. Instead he was a p*ssy and we ended up with the 3 stooges in rounds 1, 2, and 4.

If he gets skipped over again and we end with some other garbage prospect and no solution at QB? He should be fired.

17 hours ago, kmnj said:

mac has no business being a gm in the NFL-he failed bigly on the most important position in the game-the hackenberg pick was beyond criminal-many fans said it since day one-his defenders said lets see how it develops "still too early" -how long do we have to wait? He cant play even in exhibition games. Mac loved the upside in Petty as well. This will be a classic Jets draft-a qb where be there for the taking like with Marino but the jets will draft some guy nobody really knows aka our Ken Obrien over Marino...

As long as we have the mac bowles tandem our team will suck-our genius coach that is a defense guy-had a team with numerous first round picks and our d was one of the in the league and now we have one by one sent our high draft picks packing-Rex may have been the leader of the clown show towards the end but I am certain if he had these guys on defense the past few years our D would have been MUCH better-the only thing Bowles is good at is mismanaging the clock and having a stupid look on his face

It took me a long time to read this but I agree completely.

Macc and Bowles are an atrocious combination.