• Josh Rosen
    • Josh Allen
    • Baker Mayfield
    • Lamar Jackson

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darnold

Just 5 years ago the guy was a damn WR/LB in HS. Now he’s one of the best QB prospects in recent memory.

His ceiling is sky high. 

He has the size, arm, accuracy, mobility, and “it” factor to be one of the best QB’s in the league for the next 15 years.

Are his turnovers a bit of a concern? Sure, but I think you’re just going to have to live with that with Darnold, same as it was with a guy like Favre. Kid is a natural born gunslinger.

He’ll throw his share of picks at the next level, and he’ll also make 3 or 4 throws a game with the kind of accuracy and anticipation that only a few QB’s in the NFL can make.

Rosen is very talented, but you don’t know the kind of commitment he has to the game and after suffering 2 concussions last season alone coupled with his dad being a renowned neurosurgeon...he could be one more hit to the head from walking away from football for good.

Mayfield was my first instinct, but gd Rosen is one cool muh. He slaughtered the interviews we heard at the combine. I voted Rosen, but really I probably like he and Mayfield equally for different reasons. If Mayfield had Rosen's personality...:swoon:*

*You know who I think does blend the two? Cousins - the right amount of arrogance and ego with the talent to be a great passer in this league.

Darnold

Rosen

Mayfield

Jackson

Allen

But, they are all very close. I'd be happy with any one of the five. Their careers success will depend on their coaching and team management putting together a strong supporting cast. None of them can do it on his own, like Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck or John elway.

5 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I'm relatively meh on Darnold but he's still top 2. The revolving door thing kinda gives me pause. Waldman really likes him.

I can't decide between Rosen / Mayfield as my favorite. I want nothing to do with the other 2.  I understand my disdain for Darnold is irrational but f it.

50 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

I'm relatively meh on Darnold but he's still top 2. The revolving door thing kinda gives me pause. Waldman really likes him.

I think it’s just Sanchez PTSD. If Rosen and Mayfield are gone at 6 and he isn’t, obviously we should sprint to the podium. But I feel like there’s a dropoff there.

From a talent stand-point, Josh Rosen is not only the best QB in this draft (by a country mile), but he also has the highest ceiling. He's as smart, smug, and as cocky as Aaron Rodgers, and his arm talent is in the same (rare) league. He needs to be paired with an offensive mind that is greater than his own (think Andy Reid, Sean McVay, Josh McDaniels, Sean Payton, Doug Peterson, etc) to keep him honest, or else he'll fall of the rails, lose interest, and likely stop giving a sh*t. 

Pair him with a coach as stupid as guys like Todd Bowles, Jack Del Rio, Jim Caldwell, Vance Joseph, Jeff Fisher and it's easy to envision his career derailing quickly, but if he fails it will only be because of injuries and/or coaching.

Sam Darnold doesn't make my d*ck move, but I can see why people view him as a solid but not special prospect. His uncle-Rico-like throwing motion is Philip Rivers-like stupid, but it works for him so it's not like it needs to be torn down and rebuilt ala Tim Tebow.

Josh Allen is incapable of anticipating and throwing receivers open, and that's not something you learn to do in the NFL. It's instinctual sh*t like this that coaches THINK they can teach but cannot. I'm looking at you, Kyle Boller/Jake Locker/Tyrod Taylor. In a Bruce Arian's-type system, I can see him being successful; but if they do to Allen what the Jets did to Hackenberg, and force him to play in a WCO, his failure will be spectacular and awful to watch.

Baker Mayfield is a wildcard because I think he needs the right system and circumstances to succeed. I don't think any of the 32 teams can draft him as a plug and play type QB, because he'll only be as good as the system he plays in. He'd be a perfect fit in Sean Payton's offense, and him being an understudy to someone like Drew Brees would be perfect. That system (+ playing in a dome) is ideal for someone like Mayfield.

Baker Mayfield, to TomShane's point, would be good in a place like NY because he has just the right amount of "I don't give a f*ck" to succeed in a city like this. However, pairing him with an ultra-conservative loser like Todd Bowles would be an injustice to not only the player, but also to the city of New York and fans across the country. Mayfield deserves to be paired with a Sean McVay/Sean Payon type-mind because they'll tailor the offense to the player's strengths, and the result will, at the very worst, be entertaining for anyone watching.

14 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

From a talent stand-point, Josh Rosen is not only the best QB in this draft (by a country mile), but he also has the highest ceiling. He's as smart, smug, and as cocky as Aaron Rodgers, and his arm talent is in the same (rare) league.

Is that right?  I don't watch much college football so I'm genuinely asking.  I feel like Darnold was the guy that was hyped up the most.  But you're saying Rosen is the guy?  Interesting.  From the mocks I've seen, it sounds like he could fall to us.  The one negative I've heard is that he's injury-prone.  That's not a good thing in the "Not For Long" league.  

Lol I might have a few post in this thread . Based on my research I my opinion on them changes every day . You really can’t go wrong with either of the top 4 from a prospect standpoint . 

Josh Allen has grown on me a lot recently that arm is something else .. he wouldn’t any problems playing in bad weather here. 

Rosen is still my QB1 . 

1. Darnold

His ceiling is perhaps the highest. Agreed, he will commit turnovers but as a playmaker, I see the most potential and the best long term investment. Top ten qb ptoential in this league, he is durable and that counts for something combined with talent. He was born for football.

2. Rosen

Undoubedly the quickest to adapt to the NFL game, if you can protect him the potential for a top ten qb in  the NFL.  Very smart, it will be interesting to see him play behind a good oline if he is lucky to land with a franchise who prioritises protection. Whether he has a long career while facing an NFL pass rush every season, is the 50 million dollar question. As we all know players who can't stay healthy in college, often face the same issues in pro football.

a long gap to 3 & 4

3. Mayfield may need time to translate his game to the NFL.  He will handle pressure both from NFL pass rushers and the media well, a top fifteen qb in the league. He can't carry a team but with talent around him, a regular playoff contender. He will translate to Kirk Cousins level talent on a rookie contract. He will be a qb you will want the ball in his hands for a comeback in the 4th quarter. He is durable, he is going to stick around the league a long time. I have this weird feeling that he may end up pissing off the first franchise he signs with and ends up switching teams before he blooms.

4. Allen got hammered behind a bad oline Wyoming, he may problems with the the pass rush in the NFL. He seems to genuinely have improved his mechanics in the last few months but until we see him facing an NFL pash rush - that means little right now. No doubt he loves football, with the right coaching he has a chance. I do like this kid's chances playing in a blizzard.

3 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Mayfield was my first instinct, but gd Rosen is one cool muh. He slaughtered the interviews we heard at the combine. I voted Rosen, but really I probably like he and Mayfield equally for different reasons. If Mayfield had Rosen's personality...:swoon:*

*You know who I think does blend the two? Cousins - the right amount of arrogance and ego with the talent to be a great passer in this league.

Interesting, I’m just the opposite, if Rosen had Mayfield’s personality I’d trade my whole draft for him.

No Rudolph  love? If things are insane and all the others are gone I am ok with trading down, grabbing the ND or best available LT then grab Rudolph   in round 2 and use th rest of the bounty in 2 for a RB (lots of them this year) and either an edge rusher or a Guard.

22 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm going to make a mash up of all the highlights of the jets 5 wins last year so I can have it at the ready when the jets trade this years 1st, 2nd and a 1st next year to trade up to get Allen or mayfield.

We can all puff out our chests at our huge win over Cleveland!

2 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

From a talent stand-point, Josh Rosen is not only the best QB in this draft (by a country mile), but he also has the highest ceiling. He's as smart, smug, and as cocky as Aaron Rodgers, and his arm talent is in the same (rare) league. He needs to be paired with an offensive mind that is greater than his own (think Andy Reid, Sean McVay, Josh McDaniels, Sean Payton, Doug Peterson, etc) to keep him honest, or else he'll fall of the rails, lose interest, and likely stop giving a sh*t. 

Pair him with a coach as stupid as guys like Todd Bowles, Jack Del Rio, Jim Caldwell, Vance Joseph, Jeff Fisher and it's easy to envision his career derailing quickly, but if he fails it will only be because of injuries and/or coaching.

Sam Darnold doesn't make my d*ck move, but I can see why people view him as a solid but not special prospect. His uncle-Rico-like throwing motion is Philip Rivers-like stupid, but it works for him so it's not like it needs to be torn down and rebuilt ala Tim Tebow.

Josh Allen is incapable of anticipating and throwing receivers open, and that's not something you learn to do in the NFL. It's instinctual sh*t like this that coaches THINK they can teach but cannot. I'm looking at you, Kyle Boller/Jake Locker/Tyrod Taylor. In a Bruce Arian's-type system, I can see him being successful; but if they do to Allen what the Jets did to Hackenberg, and force him to play in a WCO, his failure will be spectacular and awful to watch.

Baker Mayfield is a wildcard because I think he needs the right system and circumstances to succeed. I don't think any of the 32 teams can draft him as a plug and play type QB, because he'll only be as good as the system he plays in. He'd be a perfect fit in Sean Payton's offense, and him being an understudy to someone like Drew Brees would be perfect. That system (+ playing in a dome) is ideal for someone like Mayfield.

Baker Mayfield, to TomShane's point, would be good in a place like NY because he has just the right amount of "I don't give a f*ck" to succeed in a city like this. However, pairing him with an ultra-conservative loser like Todd Bowles would be an injustice to not only the player, but also to the city of New York and fans across the country. Mayfield deserves to be paired with a Sean McVay/Sean Payon type-mind because they'll tailor the offense to the player's strengths, and the result will, at the very worst, be entertaining for anyone watching.

So basically - all of the QB's can suceed in the NFL but none on the Jets because Bowles is an idiot?  Is that pretty much what your 6 paragraph post was trying to say?

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

So basically - all of the QB's can suceed in the NFL but none on the Jets because is Bowles is an idiot?  Is that pretty much what your 6 paragraph post was trying to say?

Like Fox after he was canned and Fisher after he was canned bowles will take credit for the jets qb development when we get a smart offensive coach in here.

I voted for Rosen, but wanted to add that I think a lot of people here are underrating Darnold.  

I would recommend everyone checking out Darnold on ESPN’s Sports Science.  It’s unreal.

Sorry not sure how to put the link up but it’s a pretty easy search.

Archived