Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LAD_Brooklyn

Bills trade for the 12th pick


Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Why in the world would the Bills stay put?  You think they traded up to 12 without knowing who would be available at 12 just because?

To draft players they need would be my guess. 

12 has more options then 21. Maybe they like a OL or WR or Edge or one of the other spots they need. They lost thier C and traded a OT so they’re going to need help on the line. Trading away 2 - 1st, 2 - 2nds and 2 - 3rds would be asinine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

To draft players they need would be my guess. 

12 has more options then 21. Maybe they like a OL or WR or Edge or one of the other spots they need. They lost thier C and traded a OT so they’re going to need help on the line. Trading away 2 - 1st, 2 - 2nds and 2 - 3rds would be asinine. 

Why today?  Why not wait and see who’s available?  Makes no sense to move up now if it’s not a springboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Why today?  Why not wait and see who’s available?  Makes no sense to move up now if it’s not a springboard.

No idea. What is Glen’s contract like? Is there a owed signing bonus? Are they trying to get a FA QB. I don’t ******* know is just think it’s stupud to move up and give away 6 early picks when there’s so many needs.

Hopefully the Jets stay put. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, gEYno said:

The Bills are showing a willingness to trade up, making moves towards it already.  What makes you think Macc is going to be willing to pay what it takes to move up, as he hasn't shown a willingness or interest in doing so in the past?  The Jets may be able to outbid the Bills, but will they?

And it's got them all the way to 12. The thing about moving up is that, especially to get into the top 5, another team has to be willing to trade with you. 

I believe McGM is more willing to trade up than I do the Bills have this clear and easy shot at the top 5. For certain the Jets are better positioned to do so and it's a matter of will. They'll  have plenty of motivation if they miss out on Cousins. McGM is not employed for long if the Jets fail to land Cousins or one of the three QBs.I assume he probably knows that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I looked it up at Gato’s urging, and the Bills are $37 mil under the cap with the retired Eric Wood’s $9 million still on the books. If they cut Jerry Hughes, they can get another $6 mil or so, it seems. Not too shabby. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

And it's got them all the way to 12. The thing about moving up is that, especially to get into the top 5, another team has to be willing to trade with you. 

I believe McGM is more willing to trade up than I do the Bills have this clear and easy shot at the top 5. For certain the Jets are better positioned to do so and it's a matter of will. They'll  have plenty of motivation if they miss out on Cousins. McGM is not employed for long if the Jets fail to land Cousins or one of the three QBs.I assume he probably knows that.

You might want to go back two years and see Philly trade up twice to get wentz.  They traded up to 8 before the draft ala the bills and then traded up to 2 to get one of the top two qbs.  The successful precedent is clearly there why are you being a climate change denier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You might want to go back two years and see Philly trade up twice to get wentz.  They traded up to 8 before the draft ala the bills and then traded up to 2 to get one of the top two qbs.  The successful precedent is clearly there why are you being a climate change denier?

Long, very strange day for Mr. Cat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After the trade up to 12, Bills now have more draft capital than the Jets:

Bills   Jets
Pick Points   Pick Points
12 1200   6 1600
22 780   37 530
53 370   49 410
55 350   72 230
65 265   107 80
96 116   157 28.2
121 52   179 19.4
158 27.8   235 1
166 24.6      
         
  3185.4     2898.6

Does not necessarily mean that potential trading partners will prefer dealing with the Bills - if Cle or Indy has their eye on someone they think will be available at 6 and does not want to drop back to 12.  But the trade gives Buffalo more capital / more options if they want to move up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

You might want to go back two years and see Philly trade up twice to get wentz.  They traded up to 8 before the draft ala the bills and then traded up to 2 to get one of the top two qbs.  The successful precedent is clearly there why are you being a climate change denier?

Juuuust like the Vaunted Bills. 12, 8, tomayto, tomahto 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Lith said:

After the trade up to 12, Bills now have more draft capital than the Jets:

 

Bills   Jets
Pick Points   Pick Points
12 1200   6 1600
22 780   37 530
53 370   49 410
55 350   72 230
65 265   107 80
96 116   157 28.2
121 52   179 19.4
158 27.8   235 1
166 24.6      
         
  3185.4     2898.6

They don’t surpass the Jets’ first four picks (2740) until their after their 5th pick. I assume, probably correctly, that a team naturally in the top 10 has a more valuable future first, second, and third round pick than the one coming off the one and done playoff plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outside of tredavious the bills don’t have a ton of young talent, or cap space.

if they mortgage the future and trade a couple of drafts to move up, it may ultimately cost McDermott his job.

not saying we do either, but they’re tearing that team down faster than they built it, and they made the playoffs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

The worst thing that will come from signing Cousins (I don't think we will) is the fact that Buffalo and Miami may come out with two of the top 4 rookie QBs via trading up. There goes our chance to dominate this division, which, by the way, we're the only team that never has had that dominating time where we own the division year after year. We'll get an up close look 4 times a year on how ridiculously stupid and gutless we were. 

It could easily be Miami and Buffalo taking turns winning the division for the next 12 seasons and we'll be in the basement below the Pats - and we would deserve it for throwing 30 million at an above average QB. 

We have Mac, and therefore we have no chance.  Chris and Woody love making money without putting a viable product on the field.  Empty seats and less revenue is the only thing they understand.  Minkah is coming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, stoicsentry said:

So... did they just create a need for themselves at left tackle?

No. Their starting left tackle was Dion Dawkins. And he played very well last year, so Glenn became expendable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Browns have a ton of picks. The Giants I doubt will move from #2 back to 12. Gonna be interesting if Broncos sign Keenum, I could definitely see the Broncos trading from #5 back to 12 with the Bills. Picks 1-3 will tell the whole story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, I looked it up at Gato’s urging, and the Bills are $37 mil under the cap with the retired Eric Wood’s $9 million still on the books. If they cut Jerry Hughes, they can get another $6 mil or so, it seems. Not too shabby. 

If the bills cut Hughes we need to be all over him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

We have Mac, and therefore we have no chance.  Chris and Woody love making money without putting a viable product on the field.  Empty seats and less revenue is the only thing they understand.  Minkah is coming.

Minkah and Bridgewater Baby!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SenorGato said:

They don’t surpass the Jets’ first four picks (2740) until their after their 5th pick. I assume, probably correctly, that a team naturally in the top 10 has a more valuable future first, second, and third round pick than the one coming off the one and done playoff plan. 

The team we are likely bidding against just added draft value.  That does not mean that we will definitely be outbid by Buffalo if we both want to move up to top 4.  Both teams will be able to offer comparable packages -- will really depend on what the team trading out is looking for.  If Cle/Indy/NYG really wants one of Minkah/Nelson/Chubb and thinks they can get their guy at 6, or package is likely to be more attractive.  But if they are looking for multiple 1s this year, Buffalo package is likely more compelling.  Before the deal, I was confident we could beat any Buffalo package.  Now I see it more like 50-50.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lith said:

The team we are likely bidding against just added draft value.  That does not mean that we will definitely be outbid by Buffalo if we both want to move up to top 4.  Both teams will be able to offer comparable packages -- will really depend on what the team trading out is looking for.  If Cle/Indy/NYG really wants one of Minkah/Nelson/Chubb and thinks they can get their guy at 6, or package is likely to be more attractive.  But if they are looking for multiple 1s this year, Buffalo package is likely more compelling.  Before the deal, I was confident we could beat any Buffalo package.  Now I see it more like 50-50.

We should not trade up. There is no concensus #1 QB in this draft. Barkley & Chubb are going top 5. That leaves 3 picks B4 the Jets pick. Doesn't look like the Jets are destination for the top free agents now that I'm seeing Norwell going to the Jags. Jets will be HUGE players in the 2nd phase of free agency. Pats have done that for years so it is not the worst way to deal in free agency. We've jumped out in free agency in the past & made all of the headlines & here we are again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I hope they trade to go get a QB.

Their roster(a 9-7 roster) is old as hell, and could barely do anything when they had a QB that was perfectly capable of winning some games, albeit not a long term answer.

Now they are going to insert a young QB into that aging roster, while depleting the roster and its future to do so.  It may impact the Jets QB situation, it may not.

I see this going badly for Buffalo in the long run, especially if the guy they trade for flops, which is entirely possible with this class.

It’ll be bad for any team in the long run if the guy they pick flops. Whether they trade up for him or not, that’s their QB - or at least that’s their QB investment for 2-3 years. If it’s the wrong guy then it’s the wrong guy, take solace in knowing you weren’t winning a SB those years anyway, and start over with a different one 2 or 3 drafts later. 

If the QB is worth a damn, they won’t care about some imaginary missed opportunity for a ring in 2018. They weren’t winning one anyway, plus they’ll have over a dozen more seasons to regroup/rebuild thereafter. It doesn’t take that long to replenish, and clearing out all those veterans’ contracts will allow them to do so all that much faster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

could easily be Miami and Buffalo taking turns winning the division for the next 12 seasons and we'll be in the basement below the Pats - and we would deserve it for throwing 30 million at an above average QB. 

This is my nightmare scenario, Tanny knows if the Fins want want a QB he will do everything possible to get ahead of us. Miami sits at 11. I hope I am wrong but this is a scenario that can only happen to the Jets. Such positivity for being a jet fan for over 40 years. I would mind Cousins but would prefer a long term answer at the QB position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

This is my nightmare scenario, Tanny knows if the Fins want want a QB he will do everything possible to get ahead of us. Miami sits at 11. I hope I am wrong but this is a scenario that can only happen to the Jets. Such positivity for being a jet fan for over 40 years. I would mind Cousins but would prefer a long term answer at the QB position. 

mccagnan is salivating b/c he knows chubb is going to fall to 6 and he can continue to build the defense!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

mccagnan is salivating b/c he knows chubb is going to fall to 6 and he can continue to build the defense!

Seems like the appropriate scenario. I would like to have the confidence that Mac has a plan. I know he probably is waiting on Cousins, but when two division rivals need a QB he better be able to out maneuver at least one. it just dosent seem to be his forte.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Lith said:

After the trade up to 12, Bills now have more draft capital than the Jets:

Bills   Jets
Pick Points   Pick Points
12 1200   6 1600
22 780   37 530
53 370   49 410
55 350   72 230
65 265   107 80
96 116   157 28.2
121 52   179 19.4
158 27.8   235 1
166 24.6      
         
  3185.4     2898.6

Does not necessarily mean that potential trading partners will prefer dealing with the Bills - if Cle or Indy has their eye on someone they think will be available at 6 and does not want to drop back to 12.  But the trade gives Buffalo more capital / more options if they want to move up.

Let's not forget the Jets can offer picks in the 2019 draft which will be viewed far more valuable than the Bills' 2019 picks since, as it stands, the Jets have the least talented roster in the in NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Let's not forget the Jets can offer picks in the 2019 draft which will be viewed far more valuable than the Bills' 2019 picks since, as it stands, the Jets have the least talented roster in the in NFL.

Under that logic...  our picks going out to 2030 are fairly valuable. :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Let's not forget the Jets can offer picks in the 2019 draft which will be viewed far more valuable than the Bills' 2019 picks since, as it stands, the Jets have the least talented roster in the in NFL.

Thank God we suck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Jrc2290 said:

Outside of tredavious the bills don’t have a ton of young talent, or cap space.

if they mortgage the future and trade a couple of drafts to move up, it may ultimately cost McDermott his job.

not saying we do either, but they’re tearing that team down faster than they built it, and they made the playoffs 

QB trumps all, this line of thinking is why the Jets have had no franchise qb for 40 years and end up with draft hauls of the likes of Adams, Lee, Hack, pryor etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  


×