Kirk Cousins to Vikings done deal per P.O. source ( not mine)

Skeptable

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/03/13/vikings-appear-to-be-closing-in-on-kirk-cousins/

The dominoes are falling. Quickly.

With Case Keenum and Drew Brees off the market, the Vikings look to be moving on Kirk Cousins. Mark Rosen of WCCO reports that Cousins will sign with the Vikings. The deal, per Rosen, will average $28 million per year.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Cousins will visit the Vikings. That’s a curious wrinkle, since teams and would-be free agents technically aren’t allowed to line up visits until free agency officially begins. (So, essentially, the league is reporting that one of its teams may be violating the tampering rules.)

PFT reported two weeks ago that Cousins plans to make at least one visit before agreeing to terms, in the hopes of avoiding a Brock Osweiler situation from two years ago, where he agreed to terms with the Texans without ever meeting them. (Ultimately, he hated them . . . and they hated him.)

Vikings fans will hate it if Cousins visits and leaves without a contract. As the dominoes keep falling, the Vikings could be left with something other than a contract in their hands.

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

It seemed a no-brainer to me. Jets will have lots of money to spend but they seem to be sitting on their hands right now.

why did it seem like a no brainer? Just cause money? We're not the only team who had money.

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

It seemed a no-brainer to me. Jets will have lots of money to spend but they seem to be sitting on their hands right now.

They may be sitting on their hands but I think you know where their fingers are. ;)

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

James Jone (NFL Network) says the Jets need to pay Cousins 10 million more a year to sign him. 

Dick

I saw that! Dickheads on that network. At least they canned that f*cking idiot Heath Evans, freaking Patriot knob sucker.

The Vikings will have the first shot at landing Kirk Cousins.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday that Minnesota will be first to host the free-agent quarterback. That's not all: The Vikings are offering a three-year, $28 million per year deal. As expected, that tops the $27.5 million annually Jimmy Garoppolo earned from the 49ers.

Cousins will have dinner with coaches and other essential Vikings personnel on Wednesday evening before visiting the club's brand new facility on Thursday.

"It is not a done deal," Rapoport told NFL Network, "but the fact that he's visiting Minnesota first is extremely significant for Cousins and the Vikings."

As he has for weeks, Rapoport described Minnesota as being in the "driver's seat" for Cousins, the 29-year-old former Redskins quarterback who also drew interest from the Broncosbefore Denver opted to pursue ex-Vikings passer Case Keenum.

The Cardinals and Jets also remain in the mix, but only if Cousins escapes Minnesota. While Gang Green boasts more cap space than any team league-wide, it's the Vikings who can dangle the prize of a Super Bowl-ready roster.

Free agency doesn't officially begin until Wednesday. That deadline, though, looks flimsier by the minute as teams strike deals with open-market targets and continue to trade as if the apocalypse was near.

Cousins remains the final bit of deep intrigue left, but we're bound to know sooner than later where he plans to continue his career. Sit tight, Vikings faithful.

If, as news seems to inducate, we once again failed to land the QB our GM clearly wanted in Cousins, I would strongly suggest tghe best route this team could take is to suck itup, NOT spend money on some third tier veteran riskbag like Bridgewater, or a never was like McCown, and to start Hackenberg in 2018 or career backups with 10 passes to their name like Maccarron.

Let him fail if he fails, he's a god damn 2nd round draft pick, and sucky or not, Macc and Bowles should have to live with their choices.

Draft a QB at 6 or move up, doesn;t matter, none of these kids are day 1 NFL ready.  So save the time, effort, and start Hack till the draft pick is ready.

No more JAG bridge QB's to nowhere.  No more excuses for Macc and Bowles to "exceed expectations" with smoke and mirrors and a JAG veteran QB.

Start Hack, then start the Draft Pick when/if ready.

We are not a competitor.  We're in full rebuild mode.

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

If, as news seems to inducate, we once again failed to land the QB our GM clearly wanted in Cousins, I would strongly suggest tghe best route this team could take is to suck itup, NOT spend money on some third tier veteran riskbag like Bridgewater, or a never was like McCown, and to start Hackenberg in 2018.

Let him fail if he fails, he's a god damn 2nd round draft pick, and sucky or not, Macc and Bowles should have to live with their choices.

Draft a QB at 6 or move up, doesn;t matter, none of these kids are day 1 NFL ready.  So save the time, effort, and start Hack till the draft pick is ready.

No more JAG bridge QB's to nowhere.  No more excuses for Macc and Bowles to "exceed expectations" with smoke and mirrors and a JAG veteran QB.

Manish actually mentioned Bridgewater months back. 

This is what everyone has been saying for a few weeks. There was no reason for Cousins to keep the Jets in the loop aside from trying to raise his price. Better everything right now in Minnesota. We should just continue to rebuild the right way, not half a**ed. Move up to #3, draft a rookie and build around him. No other way to go than that. We aren't a win now team. Plus, we keep the Dolphins or Bills from getting a top QB.

7 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If, as news seems to inducate, we once again failed to land the QB our GM clearly wanted in Cousins, I would strongly suggest tghe best route this team could take is to suck itup, NOT spend money on some third tier veteran riskbag like Bridgewater, or a never was like McCown, and to start Hackenberg in 2018 or career backups with 10 passes to their name like Maccarron.

They're not going to play Hackenburg.  He's not a NFL qb.  And it's obvious that they don't like Petty so they'll have to bring in a vet QB.

Hopefully they'll move up and get the FQB this year.

fans will see this as a failure of the front office but this was always about where Kirk Cousins (and his wife) wanted to live

it was also about getting a short deal where he could get wins and then yet another contract in 3 years. 

Cousins was never a fit, those who thought they could just flash cash loafs and have the dude show up were being hopeful 

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

So more of the same old same old.  Risky JAG Veteran stop-gaps.

This team really does it's all to kill our hope some years.

Pretty sad that Macc & Bowles have been here going on 4 years & we're still being made fun of in the media. Jets have a stigma because of NOT HAVING GOOD LEADERSHIP. Very frustrating.

1 minute ago, Greensleeves said:

This is what everyone has been saying for a few weeks. There was no reason for Cousins to keep the Jets in the loop aside from trying to raise his price. Better everything right now in Minnesota. We should just continue to rebuild the right way, not half a**ed. Move up to #3, draft a rookie and build around him. No other way to go than that. We aren't a win now team. Plus, we keep the Dolphins and Bills from both getting a top QB.

If Macc can't even bring himself to spend $90M what makes us think he'll trade a ton of picks to move up? Despite his horrific drafting record outside the first round, I think he drinks his own koolaid and sees every late round pick as a potential star in his hands.

1 minute ago, peebag said:

They're not going to play Hackenburg.  He's not a NFL qb.  And it's obvious that they don't like Petty so they'll have to bring in a vet QB.

Hopefully they'll move up and get the FQB this year.

I know my friend, I know.

But I'd much rather see Hackenberg play, no matter how bad, than to go through more of the smae old McCown/Bridgewater/McCarron/Fitzpatrick/Recycled never-was QB list which now seems to be the Jets Specialty.

Yes, absolutely, draft a QB.  Hopefully the right one in this field of ????'s.

But till that QB is ready, play Hack.  For comedy value if nothing else.  It can't be any more pointless that trotting out a 58 year old McCown or a one legged, 18 mil a year, Bridgewater experiment.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So more of the same old same old.  Risky JAG Veteran stop-gaps.

This team really does it's all to kill our hope some years.

I wanted Cousins but please feel free to explain how Bridgewater is anything like Fitzpatrick or McCown? 

6 minutes ago, JetFreak89 said:

I wanted Cousins but please feel free to explain how Bridgewater is anything like Fitzpatrick or McCown? 

He's a nobody.  He's all pure fan projection, he's got no resume worth taking a flier on.

I'll say it again:  He had one good year, behind an in-his-prime Adrian Peterson.  He's never had more than 14 TD passes in a year.  He's basically a 1-1 TD/INT guy.  And he suffered a catastrophic non-contact injury to every single piece of his knee and hasn't played a meaningful snap in over two years.

Any claim that this kid is anything more than a 100% experiment based on his potential coming out of college is lying to themselves.  

Could he surprise the world and be good?  Sure.  Is it likely?  On this team?

Why bother?  Why sign yet another has been/never was "bridge" QB?  What does that serve?  Make us slightly less sh*t for a year while the draft pick sits?  Screw that, I'd rather watch the guy WE DRAFTED with THIS GM and COACH, play.  Horrible or not.  At least then we don't have to pay 15-18 mil. a year on another veteran JAG experiment.

Might want to ask yourself why the Vikings, a far better run team than ours, felt having no QB and going for Cousins (where they could lose out) was still better than keeping Bridgewater around.

Archived