Kirk Cousins to Vikings done deal per P.O. source ( not mine)

Skeptable

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He's a nobody.  He's all pure fan projection, he's got no resume worth taking a flier on.

I'll say it again:  He had one good year, behind an in-his-prime Adrian Peterson.  He's never had more than 14 TD passes in a year.  He's basically a 1-1 TD/INT guy.  And he suffered a catastrophic non-contact injury to every single piece of his knee and hasn't played a meaningful snap in over two years.

Any claim that this kid is anything more than a 100% experiment based on his potential coming out of college is lying to themselves.  

Could he surprise the world and be good?  Sure.  Is it likely?  On this team?

Why bother?  Why sign yet another has been/never was "bridge" QB?  What does that serve?  Make us slightly less sh*t for a year while the draft pick sits?  Screw that, I'd rather watch the guy WE DRAFTED with THIS GM and COACH, play.  Horrible or not.  At least then we don't have to pay 15-18 mil. a year on another veteran JAG experiment.

Might want to ask yourself why the Vikings, a far better run team than ours, felt having no QB and going for Cousins (where they could lose out) was still better than keeping Bridgewater around.

I don't think anyone will argue that Cousins isn't a far better option than Teddy. The only argument for Teddy is that even if he has a 1% chance of becoming a franchise guy that is still higher than McCown.

I'd prefer McCown because that means we likely go 100% for a 1st round rookie. Having Teddy scares me that this regime may use him as an excuse to go BPA.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

People still think we're going to find the future QB at 6 this year? 

Oh boy.

I have no idea if we WILL find it. All I know is that we pretty much have to TRY to find it ... and if we fail, cut bait at the appropriate time and try again.

9 minutes ago, Skeet Ulrich said:

:confused:

The current CBA expires in 2021. The sentiment seems to be that the players will get a better deal in the new CBA. Signing a 3 year deal makes you a FA after the 2021 season, the first year after the new CBA is agreed upon

Similar to the way Lebron structured his deals

8 minutes ago, Pac said:

The best part is they're declaring FA a failure a day before it begins.

it started Monday; Coffee Boy has done NOTHING. There are serious holes at WR and OL which could have been filled with all that cap cash TODAY with some very good players. But he has done NOTHING. 

1 minute ago, jamesr said:

I have no idea if we WILL find it. All I know is that we pretty much have to TRY to find it ... and if we fail, cut bait at the appropriate time and try again.

Wasted pick. Again.

Take McGlinchley. O line again in round 2. Set it up for next year when maybe our new GM can actually land a QB worth a damn.

So let e see if I understand this correctly . A guy who  has a camera crew following him to immortalized what he has always wanted, takes 1 visit and signs with that team thus putting an end to what he most desired . Maybe Kirk Cousins will sign with the Vikings eventually, but something tells me he's going to go on another trip for the experience . 

24 minutes ago, Warfish said:

He's a nobody.  He's all pure fan projection, he's got no resume worth taking a flier on.

I'll say it again:  He had one good year, behind an in-his-prime Adrian Peterson.  He's never had more than 14 TD passes in a year.  He's basically a 1-1 TD/INT guy.  And he suffered a catastrophic non-contact injury to every single piece of his knee and hasn't played a meaningful snap in over two years.

Any claim that this kid is anything more than a 100% experiment based on his potential coming out of college is lying to themselves.  

Could he surprise the world and be good?  Sure.  Is it likely?  On this team?

Why bother?  Why sign yet another has been/never was "bridge" QB?  What does that serve?  Make us slightly less sh*t for a year while the draft pick sits?  Screw that, I'd rather watch the guy WE DRAFTED with THIS GM and COACH, play.  Horrible or not.  At least then we don't have to pay 15-18 mil. a year on another veteran JAG experiment.

Might want to ask yourself why the Vikings, a far better run team than ours, felt having no QB and going for Cousins (where they could lose out) was still better than keeping Bridgewater around.

I agree 100%. I steer very clear of Bridgewater. At this point I create competition at the QB spot. I sign McCarron and then do what I need to and get the QB I have rated highest in the draft. Don't be passive again and expect the draft to fall to you, and let teams swoop in and get your guy. Go get him. Our next 2 drafts should be almost 100% offense with a CB thrown in there someone.

Very glad it looks like Cousins is going to Minny. Bold prediction: Keenum has better year in Denver than Cousins in Minnesota

Just now, bla bla bla said:

McGlinchey at 6 would be a sick joke

It would be a Pro Bowl quality player in the lineup for a decade. I promise you if they draft a QB at 6, he'll be off the roster by 2021. Forget about the draft value chart. We're rebuilding from zero. We need players, not projects and "promise". And it all start up front. 

Come visit this post in 5 years. 

44 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If, as news seems to inducate, we once again failed to land the QB our GM clearly wanted in Cousins, I would strongly suggest tghe best route this team could take is to suck itup, NOT spend money on some third tier veteran riskbag like Bridgewater, or a never was like McCown, and to start Hackenberg in 2018 or career backups with 10 passes to their name like Maccarron.

Let him fail if he fails, he's a god damn 2nd round draft pick, and sucky or not, Macc and Bowles should have to live with their choices.

Draft a QB at 6 or move up, doesn;t matter, none of these kids are day 1 NFL ready.  So save the time, effort, and start Hack till the draft pick is ready.

No more JAG bridge QB's to nowhere.  No more excuses for Macc and Bowles to "exceed expectations" with smoke and mirrors and a JAG veteran QB.

Start Hack, then start the Draft Pick when/if ready.

We are not a competitor.  We're in full rebuild mode.

Or we can sign Mike Glennon! :-)

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

it started Monday; Coffee Boy has done NOTHING. There are serious holes at WR and OL which could have been filled with all that cap cash TODAY with some very good players. But he has done NOTHING. 

you're a smart guy.  I'm pretty sure you and a lot of the other people complaining HATED when we knew every move the Jets were making with Tanny and Rex.  You guys were screaming for them to show some discretion.

now you're angry that we don't know every move they're making before it's made?

like I said..  if we miss out on Trumaine, Butler, Jensen, John Brown, etc THEN you can blast Mac.

Missing out on a guy that 95% of the people on the board expected to lose out on is not a reason to panic.

Thank god they didn't pay Watkins that money!

13 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Of course it's a big deal. Cousins would have meant that these dimwits wouldn't be forced into a tough decision. Now they are in no man's land and none of us really have confidence that they will make a sensible long term decision here. 

There are several bad decisions on the table here that can set back the franchise for a few years and we are giving two guys with no coherent plan the rights to pull the trigger. 

The other issue at play here is that ownership seems to have entirely checked out. 

Gut sense is Bowles has zero interest in playing a rookie QB or giving up draft selections to move up and get one. He likes Mccown, can bring in Bridgewater as insurance and take his favorite defensive player at 6 just like we've done the last 3 seasons. It's a self preservation strategy that's working because ownership doesnt care anymore and there's a built in excuse of not having a QB.

1 minute ago, JetPotato said:

It would be a Pro Bowl quality player in the lineup for a decade. I promise you if they draft a QB at 6, he'll be off the roster by 2021. Forget about the draft value chart. We're rebuilding from zero. We need players, not projects and "promise". And it all start up front. 

Come visit this post in 5 years. 

I'm of the opinion that McGlinchey benefited greatly because of Nelson. I also think he falls to the late teens-20s. If he was a stud LT then I'd be more okay with the selection.

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The other issue at play here is ownership seems to have entirely checked out. 

Gut sense is Bowles has zero interest in playing a rookie QB or giving up draft selections to move up and get one. He likes Mccown, can bring in Bridgewater as insurance and take his favorite defensive player at 6 just like we've done the last 3 seasons. It's a self preservation strategy that's working because ownership doesnt care anymore and there's a built in excuse of not having a QB.

This indifference crossed with neglect is embarrassing. Sell the goddamn team to someone who would give a fvkc. 

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The other issue at play here is that ownership seems to have entirely checked out. 

Good, I like to see Woody scatter when the fans turn on him and his Lil Brother. No QB this year will equal Sh@t storm and firings.

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

you're a smart guy.  I'm pretty sure you and a lot of the other people complaining HATED when we knew every move the Jets were making with Tanny and Rex.  You guys were screaming for them to show some discretion.

now you're angry that we don't know every move they're making before it's made?

like I said..  if we miss out on Trumaine, Butler, Jensen, John Brown, etc THEN you can blast Mac.

Missing out on a guy that 95% of the people on the board expected to lose out on is not a reason to panic.

Thank god they didn't pay Watkins that money!

Yea there is no reason to really flip out yet. I'd be fuming if we gave Watkins that much money. Jensen has always been #1 on my FA wishlist. I really hope we can reel him in.

21 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

It is surprising.  If he was going to get guaranteed money why wouldn’t he want more than 3 years (though maybe they  only offered 3 years guaranteed) I get the feeling Cousins thinks he’s raising the price for QBs and that he’s really going to cash in in another 3 years.  Maybe when he’s 33 and about to fall off the cliff the Jets can sign him to a long term guaranteed deal.  

Honestly, I’m happy he’s gone   I don’t think he’s worth the money he’d ask from us   I agree with those saying to do a serious rebuild   Draft a QB if a good one falls to us (the big 4 or else I’d be happy w Lauletta in round 2) else just play Hack 

Maybe because the Vikes couldn't offer what we could do to make up for the short fall theyre offering the chance to cash in even more in 3 years.  If he plays well and wins with the Vikings he'll be up for an even bigger payday in 3 years.

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

Missing out on Kirk Cousins isn't a disaster for the Jets. Actually, they'll be better off in the long run. Sure, he would've been an immediate upgrade, but he's not worth $28 million a year, fully guaranteed (reported deal with Minnesota) — at least not to the Jets. They've got a long way to go and Cousins would've been just another piece in the puzzle, not the final piece. He has posted some marvelous stats over the last three years, but he has no playoff wins and he's 4-19 against teams with winning records. So, yes, the Jets will survive without him.

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

Typical Jets. Now they can blow their $90 million on 10 Buster Skrine-like free agents. **** this whole organization with a broomstick. 

I hate the coach and I have developed a dislike for the G.M.  This draft and FA period is frightening the hell out of me.

58 minutes ago, KINGDIRK said:

The ownership of this organization has given control to a GM and Coach who are in complete "save their own ass" mode. I absolutely agree with your sentiment. And while I do think stability and continuity at the GM and Coaching spots are very important - had we fired both, dont you think a new regime would be far more open to your suggestion? Why wouldnt they be?

Instead....it's Classic Jets!

Isn't save your own ass mode overpaying every free agent so you can win now in 2018, and not worry about the future of the team?

Archived