Report: Jets Finalizing Deal With Teddy Bridgewater

JetNation

I’m not a Bridgewater fan, but would’ve preferred him to McCown again. Literally the definition of insanity. Meanwhile, the Bills are actively trying to get in front of the Jets in the draft to get their franchise QB. It’s mind numbing.  

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

That's why I don't think he's signing here.  He sees that McCown is the starter and there's a good likelihood the Jets will draft a QB in the 1st round.  So where would he get his reps in that situation?

I agree.  I think he will find a better situation for himself.

Even if he decides to sign with the Jets, we are drafting a QB at 6. Just because we re-signed a much older QB and may sign a QB that hasn't played in two years, does nothing at all to signal we won't draft one. It does the exact opposite. One more year of McCown (or part of a year) since Bridgewater may not be ready to play at 100%. Then, if the #1 pick is ready, he takes over mid-season. If not, Bridgewater shows what he can do. The rookie then takes over next year with Bridgewater as his backup and McCown takes a coaching job. I wouldn't mind that scenario. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

I’m not a Bridgewater fan, but would’ve preferred him to McCown again. Literally the definition of insanity. Meanwhile, the Bills are actively trying to get in front of the Jets in the draft to get their franchise QB. It’s mind numbing.  

One needs to ask what was the rush to sign McCown???

Signing him now hurts them!

No one was paying McCown $10 Million Dollars NO ONE!!!!

2 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

One needs to ask what was the rush to sign McCown???

Signing him now hurts them!

No one was paying McCown $10 Million Dollars NO ONE!!!!

It is possible there was some competition for McCown, but likely they signed him to just have their plan B for QBs in place quickly so they can focus on other positions.

2 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

It is possible there was some competition for McCown, but likely they signed him to just have their plan B for QBs in place quickly so they can focus on other positions.

Even if this is true, why promise McCown the Starters Job???:(

Hey guys. This will sound totally corny. McCown loves being a Jet. He put this team on his back and did what he could with limited talent. And never said a word. I think management loves him and he feels grateful that they gave him the keys. This guy has been bumped around the league and I think the Jets showed him respect. Who wouldn’t respond to that?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

11 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

I think re-signing McCown was Bowles' plan A.

6 minutes ago, jetsfansince7 said:

Hey guys. This will sound totally corny. McCown loves being a Jet. He put this team on his back and did what he could with limited talent. And never said a word. I think management loves him and he feels grateful that they gave him the keys. This guy has been bumped around the league and I think the Jets showed him respect. Who wouldn’t respond to that?

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

McCown is a very likable guy and I would have no issue with him being our backup QB and then one day a coach.  But paying the guy $10M seems kind of crazy.  I mean - he just had a career year and yet the team only won 5 games.  

There's simply no telling how Bridgewater's reconstructed knee will react to the speed of NFL game action going forward.

Only the Vikings know how Bridgewater looked in practice last season. As soon as Bradford was healthy enough to play, he immediately bypassed Bridgewater as Keenum's backup. As soon as Cousins was set free by the Redskins, Bridgewater was an afterthought in Eagan.

Signing Bridgewater would open the Jets' options at the sport's most important position. He's young enough at age 25 that New York could opt to revisit veteran Josh McCown as an insurance policy and coach lite in the quarterbacks room. Under that scenario, general manager Mike Maccagnan would have the luxury of drafting the best player available at No. 6 overall rather than forcing a quarterback selection.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

It’s funny because Petty was almost 25 when we drafted him, crazy he is only 25, and the Jets don’t want to gamble on him over 86 year old Josh McCown.  Makes zero sense.

Petty looked awful when he had his chances.  I realize the Jets have not been a good team but his career highlights are the "I can't throw the ball in the rain" game and the "surrender" game.

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Petty looked awful when he had his chances.  I realize the Jets have not been a good team but his career highlights are the "I can't throw the ball in the rain" game and the "surrender" game.

I’m not saying to gamble on 27 year old Bryce Petty in year 3, I’m saying gamble on 25 year old Teddy Bridgewater who entered the league a year earlier then Petty, and is 2 years younger.

1 hour ago, rammagen said:

4 and 19 as a starter against winning teams to fully guarantee a contract to what may amount to an average qb with all the holes on this team is not to smart. 90 million guaranteed to a 30 old qb that has been to the playoffs? I will take bridgewater and draft a qb any day of the week. That shows how desperate you are in trying to justify cousins at any cost. In the long run we are in a better position. 

Now they need to draft a qb as well with the 6th pick

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/75043/after-kirk-cousins-snub-jets-gm-under-pressure-to-draft-right-qb

http://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/kirk-cousins-redskins-not-beating-playoff-caliber-teams

This guy is worth 100 million dollars guaranteed cant win against winning teams hasn't been to the playoffs. Because that is what is being report 30 million a yr with the contract fully guaranteed.

We can get olineman a rb and additional playerrs to make this team better rather then investing in a qb that cant beat teams with winning records.

You can say the redskins are a mess but so are the Jets if he could not do it there what makes you think he would do it here?

I am not saying Bridgewater is going to be all pro but I will gamble on the 6th pick and Bridgewater that one of the two could be better.

And for the record look at the sampling first two yrs and bridgewater was a slightly better qb average wise. that is the sampling I am judging by. Because if I look at the winning when it counts...Cousins leaves allot to be desired. If he could not lift a redskin team how in the world do expect him to lift a Jet team?

This isn't baseball, wins and loses are team stats mate, not QB stats.  Cite all the W?L records you like, he'll still be a top 10 QB by every standard, confirmed by the league and every talking head that talks on it, who averages 4,000+ yards a year ( a feat OUR team has literally never reached even once the past 30+ years!) and a 2-to-1 of thereabouts TD/INT ratio.

So yes, Cousins costs ~27 mil a year.

Know what we're getting for OUR 27 mil in money in 2018?

Josh McCown and Trumaine Johnson.  Is that supposed to inspire me?

Yeah.

For the record, Bridgewater < Sanchez.  Yeah, sorry, not buying the "Bridgewater was an HOF'er developing" narrative, it lacks any form of evidence to support it.  Like Sanchez, he was a generally below average QB carried by Defense and a spectacular running game (an epic Adrian Peterson and his 1,800 yards of offense). 

That was before losing two years to a horrific injury that almost cost him his leg.  You might not say he won't be an all-pro, but I'm happy to tell you....he will not be an all-pro.  No chance in hell.

As for that 6th pick, might want to start getting used to the idea that its going to a pass rusher or CB.  Because Macc and Bowles have shown they lack the desire to draft and develop a QB (and have failed twice so far to develop the ones they did pick).  If you think big Macc is drafting QB after signing both Bridgewater and McCown, lol, yeah right.  We'll be lucky to get a 2nd rounder again, perhaps a Jackson or Falk or other 2nd tier prospect Macc will fall in love with till he actually has him, lol, a la Hack.

End of the day, it is what it is.  If we're rolling our Teddy f'ing Bridgewater next year, whelp, guess we're all rooting for this kid to bounce back to the mediocre play of his first two years (sub 3,500 yards passing, 1-to-1 TD/Turnover ratio) at least.  At least.

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So it is official (as can be) now then.

Say goodbye to QB at #6.  Say hello to Bridgewater.

I disagree. McCown and Bridgewater are on one year deals. We’re taking a QB in the 1st round. Book it. 

5 minutes ago, Lith said:

Surprising.  This move has some potential.  I'm not thrilled that it's a 1 year deal though.  I'd rather have a team option for year 2 or a 2 year deal with a reasonable buyout in the 2nd year.  Else it's another ASJ situation where he just leaves if he performs.  We already have McCown for next year.

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This isn't baseball, wins and loses are team stats mate, not QB stats.  Cite all the W?L records you like, he'll still be a top 10 QB by every standard, confirmed by the league and every talking head that talks on it, who averages 4,000+ yards a year ( a feat OUR team has literally never reached even once the past 30+ years!) and a 2-to-1 of thereabouts TD/INT ratio.

So yes, Cousins costs ~27 mil a year.

Know what we're getting for OUR 27 mil in money in 2018?

Josh McCown and Trumaine Johnson.  Is that supposed to inspire me?

Yeah.

For the record, Bridgewater < Sanchez.  Yeah, sorry, not buying the "Bridgewater was an HOF'er developing" narrative, it lacks any form of evidence to support it.  Like Sanchez, he was a generally below average QB carried by Defense and a spectacular running game (an epic Adrian Peterson and his 1,800 yards of offense). 

That was before losing two years to a horrific injury that almost cost him his leg.  You might not say he won't be an all-pro, but I'm happy to tell you....he will not be an all-pro.  No chance in hell.

As for that 6th pick, might want to start getting used to the idea that its going to a pass rusher or CB.  Because Macc and Bowles have shown they lack the desire to draft and develop a QB (and have failed twice so far to develop the ones they did pick).  If you think big Macc is drafting QB after signing both Bridgewater and McCown, lol, yeah right.  We'll be lucky to get a 2nd rounder again, perhaps a Jackson or Falk or other 2nd tier prospect Macc will fall in love with till he actually has him, lol, a la Hack.

End of the day, it is what it is.  If we're rolling our Teddy f'ing Bridgewater next year, whelp, guess we're all rooting for this kid to bounce back to the mediocre play of his first two years (sub 3,500 yards passing, 1-to-1 TD/Turnover ratio) at least.  At least.

dude did I sell Bridgewater was a hall fame qb in development? you have an issue fine, but do not put words in my mouth.  There have been other players in the league with bad injuries and have come back.  Cousins for this team at that price does not make sense sorry you disagree but allot of people think long run this better for the team.

I happen to like Sanchez and sorry he never developed but can we see the Bridgewater play before you write him off? I think the Jets need to get a few offensive lineman, I like the pickup of Crowell also. To me I think they need to take the best qb available at 6 double down on the qb this season.

While the knee injury was horrid, if he was a running back I would be more scared off. But think about players that have suffered injuries an have come back 

Drew Breeze torn labrum and rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder...

Andrian Peterson mcl and acl same time comes back and gets 2000 yrds rushing

Laquon Treadwell tears up his knee comes back as a 1st round pick

There are a bunch of players that have had career threatening injuries and have come back to finish their careers strong  or get them started.

I am saying I would gamble on the Bridgewater and a draft pick for this team right now then spend guaranteed money have multiple holes we wont be able to fill

5 hours ago, afjetsfan said:

I don't know.  Teddy is only 25.  I would only go after him if we wanted him to be our long term solution.  Why would he come to the Jets if we then go and draft his replacement in April?

Because no other team in the league is likely to give him a better shot at starting in Week 1.  

If he shows he can play, some other team might just give him big money down the road.  

Archived