Report: Jets Finalizing Deal With Teddy Bridgewater

JetNation

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I'm gonna agree with Ghost.  Hackenberg and Petty are both goners now.

I hope so.  Because I kind of feel like Petty is, but Hackenberg stays, and we run out there with McCown, Bridgewater, Hackenberg.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, gEYno said:

If you told me, "The Jets will draft a mediocre athlete who plays Strong Safety" at 6, I'd have said 0.0% chance of that happening.  Then, it did.

meh..  I think you're nuts for besmirching that pick. 

they had a re-draft on NFL network and he went 4th overall so apparently mediocre SS's are a hot commodity.

he'll prove you wrong soon enough.  I shudder to think what would have happened had we drafted an IMPACTZ player like Corey Davis, John Ross, or Mike Williams in the top 10 like other teams did.

10 minutes ago, Pac said:

meh..  I think you're nuts for besmirching that pick. 

they had a re-draft on NFL network and he went 4th overall so apparently mediocre SS's are a hot commodity.

he'll prove you wrong soon enough.  I shudder to think what would have happened had we drafted an IMPACTZ player like Corey Davis, John Ross, or Mike Williams in the top 10 like other teams did.

You can't judge an NFL Network redraft until at least 3 years, dude.

McCown is a very likable guy and I would have no issue with him being our backup QB and then one day a coach.  But paying the guy $10M seems kind of crazy.  I mean - he just had a career year and yet the team only won 5 games.  

Something tells me the Jets had inquiries about him because teams need serviceable back ups.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

It's as if they budgeted $25M for Cousins and then when that fell through, decided they needed to spend the exact same amount on QBs, even if that meant 2 different contracts. We could've actually used that $$$ to upgrade other spots on the roster. It's so... I can't.... I cannot with this team anymore.

https://deadspin.com/sh*t-there-might-be-logic-behind-the-jets-plan-at-quar-1823763199 

Important parts bolded below

The Jets wanted to land Kirk Cousins, and they reportedly offered even more than the Vikings did to get him. After that fell through, they immediately turned to Plan B, which involved re-signing Josh McCown and adding Teddy Bridgewater. At first glance, it looked like the Jets spent $15 million for some half-assed patchwork. But I swear there’s a logic to this—and it goes deeper than simply maintaining the Jets’ longstanding dynasty of quarterback mentorship. The real work still has to be done, though.

McCown is 39 and meh. It took a career year from him in 2017 for the Jets to win five games before their offense reverted into the slapstick act they were widely forecast to become. The Jets got credit for exceeding expectations last season, but this was always the lowest of low bars to clear; if anything, they benefited from the might-go-winless narrative, since anything better could be spun as some kind of progress, no matter how ephemeral it actually was. They changed the culture, or so we were told, even as Muhammad Wilkerson, their highest-paid player, wound up marking time until he got benched and then released. McCown keeps earning praise for his intangibles and for being some kind of locker-room soothsayer, even though his presence has never done a thing for the development of a young quarterback (and certainly didn’t do jack sh*t for Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg).

The Jets decided to stick with head coach Todd Bowles and general manager Mike Maccagnan, whose three years together haven’t produced much in the way of tangible progress. It’s hard not to view the contract extensions both received in December as a desire for continuity for the sake of continuity. It’s as if the Jets were determined to show the world they’re not the Browns by simply refusing to copy the Browns’ blueprint of constantly cleaning house. Plus, Bowles often coaches scared, and Maccagnan entered this offseason with a roster full of as many holes as the one he inherited from John Idzik—even after two drafts with the No. 6 pick, the same spot the Jets find themselves in again this spring. Maccagnan’s three drafts haven’t produced much, and with Petty and Hackenberg, he has even whiffed twice at attempts to find a QB.

So what’s the point of bringing McCown back for a reported $10 million, while also adding Bridgewater—who hasn’t played a meaningful snap in three years—for an additional $5 million? Consider the QB market, and what the Seahawks and Eagles—two franchises that have both won Super Bowls in the eight years since the Jets last made the playoffs—did as part of their respective plans.

The $15 million the Jets are forking over for McCown and Bridgewater might seem like a lot. But view that price in context: It’s the same average per year the Bears gave Mike Glennon last year, and it’s right at the bottom of the market for starting quarterbacks. The Jets got two QBs for that price, with no financial commitments whatsoever beyond 2018. For a team that entered free agency with a league-high $90 million-plus in cap room, it’s not a significant investment. The key to understanding what the Jets are doing is to realize they aren’t done investing in quarterbacks. This is where it’s instructive to look at what the Seahawks did in 2012 and the Eagles did in 2016.

In March 2012, the Seahawks signed Matt Flynn to a deal that maxed out at three years, $26 million, with $10 million guaranteed. They also still had Tarvaris Jackson, who had started 15 games for them the previous season. Yet they nonetheless went ahead that spring and drafted Russell Wilson in the third round. Wilson won the job in training camp, and Jackson was traded that August for a pick Seattle later flipped to the Vikings as part of a trade package for wideout Percy Harvin. At the end of Wilson’s second season, Seattle won the Super Bowl.

Then there were the Eagles. In March 2016, they signed Sam Bradford to a lucrative extension with $22 million in guarantees. They also signed Chase Daniel to a multi-year contract. Then, they maneuvered up to draft Carson Wentz, who wound up winning the job in camp. When Bridgewater got hurt just before the start of the season, the Eagles traded Bradford to the Vikings. Last March, the Eagles dumped Daniel and signed Nick Foles. You know the rest of that story. The Eagles paid a steep price in draft capital to jump from No. 8 to No. 2 to pick Wentz. The Jets don’t have to move up quite as far, and they have eight draft picks to work with this year, including two in the second round, plus all seven of 2019's selections. That’s more than enough ammo to maneuver up the board, should they want to do it badly enough.

Clearly, there are ways to get rookie QBs enough reps in training camp even with a pair of veterans around him. Hell, the Jets already did this last year, when McCown basically stepped aside after the first preseason game to allow Petty and Hackenberg the chance to spend the rest of the summer stepping on rakes.

By signing McCown and Bridgewater, the Jets have purchased some veteran quarterback depth. They can use that depth as insurance, a trade chip, or both. The Jets have also already spent some of their cap surplus at cornerback, running back, center, and inside linebacker, without splurging on older players, as they did during Maccagnan’s first offseason. What they still have to do is draft a quarterback this spring, be it by holding pat at No. 6 or by trading up or down. The only problem with this plan is that’s the part they damn well better get right.

45 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Zero chance we go QB at 6. If there was any doubt left, this should dispel it.

They can easily still go QB at 6...  the only thing McCown/Bridgewater means is that Petty/Hack are dunzo. 

Guys... if Bridgewater actually gets paid $15 million it likely means he's had a damn good year for us. 

47 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Yup.

So for Kirk Cousins money we bought McCown and Bridgewater.

F'ing LOL this franchise.

This is impressively Jetsy!  The Jets are spending like big spenders on QBs but they have a journeyman who had a career year that led us to 5 wins and another QB with 1 leg.  There was a stat I heard not long ago about how the Jets drafted more QBs than any team in the NFL during the last (I forget how many years but I think around 10).  But how many were high round picks?  How many were trade ups to "get the guy" (Sanchez is the only one I can remember).  How many times could we have done something but didn't (e.g. make the move for Matt Ryan or Carson Wentz).  The Jets always seem to half-ass it.  And we wonder why the Jets are "in the running but lose out" on free agents.  These players are using us for a better contract elsewhere.  If only we'd let this garbage bottom out and do a rebuild in earnest (e.g. what the Browns are doing) then maybe we could turn things around.  But it's always "competitive rebuild!" and "sign vet QB to prevent us from a getting a FQB worthy pick".  We're a NY team but players and coaches all seem to look at our franchise as sewage.  Heck during the two Bills documentary there were tears of joy about the Giants but "they want us to go in the Jets' locker room" when it came to the Jets.  There's no reason for things to be like this.  The Johnson family should have just overpaid the best football person they could have found and let that guy run the franchise.  Instead, Belichick ran away the moment they took over and Parcells left a year later.  Heck, even Al Groh left.  And even that loser Charlie Weis made fun of us in The Two Bills documentary too for crying out loud!

Cimini  said on the radio that Bridgewater would get 15 if the Jets won the superbowl. 

The two deals are for 1 year. The two deals have no impact on us signing any additional free agent this year because I doubt they spend to the cap limit. Also both deals are off the books in 19. So why worry so much about the totals. 

3 minutes ago, RESNewYork said:

Cimini  said on the radio that Bridgewater would get 15 if the Jets won the superbowl. 

The two deals are for 1 year. The two deals have no impact on us signing any additional free agent this year because I doubt they spend to the cap limit. Also both deals are off the books in 19. So why worry so much about the totals. 

I think you're right - my initial reaction to the $15mm got me furious - as I was very excited that we got him for $5mm (thought that was a great deal) we don't know what the $15mm is - I guess he's not even slated to start - he might actually only see $5mm...

But agin, then why have him though?

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think you're right - my initial reaction to the $15mm got me furious - as I was very excited that we got him for $5mm (thought that was a great deal) we don't know what the $15mm is - I guess he's not even slated to start - he might actually only see $5mm...

But agin, then why have him though?

Potential. Upside. Flier. There are varying degrees of success that are possible. Then there is also complete failure. Maybe he doesn't make it out of camp and is cut for 5 million. That's why you have McCown in as well. 

Cimini said on the radio that he was told at the combine the back up plan to Cousins was a package of McCown and Bridgwater. The Jets had a plan and probably knew Cousins was a long shot. 

Old veteran

Young veteran 

Rookie

1 hour ago, dbatesman said:

Zero chance we go QB at 6. If there was any doubt left, this should dispel it.

They are both 1 year contracts, so they may be doing the Philly thing and having a vet (McClown) solid backup with upside (Bridgewater) and then a pick at 6 for the QB of the future. It would be a good strategy and you would potentially have extreme trade value if say Bridgewater won the job and had a breakout year.

That said I still have the brick ready for "With the 6th pick in the 2018 NFL draft the NY Jets select Mink-". The TV will not last past that point.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

They are both 1 year contracts, so they may be doing the Philly thing and having a vet (McClown) solid backup with upside (Bridgewater) and then a pick at 6 for the QB of the future. It would be a good strategy and you would potentially have extreme trade value if say Bridgewater won the job and had a breakout year.

That said I still have the brick ready for "With the 6th pick in the 2018 NFL draft the NY Jets select Mink-". The TV will not last past that point.

RLLOL!

51 minutes ago, August said:

I can’t wait for Teddy to prove you all wrong. 

Guy has a rag arm whether he’s healthy or not to go with small hands, “great” sarc for the Northeast.  No one, including the Vikings would EVER make a deep playoff run with this guy.

Any reps he gets are a total waste of time, just like McCown.

But this is all fine with me, it practically guarantees that this is Maccagnan/Bowles last year in NY.

Also I really don’t want the Jets to draft a QB this year in Rd 1.....anything Maccagnan/Bowles turns to garbage.  Let a real GM and coach make the most critical decision...next year.

51 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Minkah Fitzpatrick at 6 and rag arm Mason Rudolf, “QB”, 2nd Rd.....book it.

It’s ok, be fun watching the planes with new banners.

Archived