Report: Jets Finalizing Deal With Teddy Bridgewater

JetNation

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/13/2018 at 3:03 PM, Ruby2 said:

What is with this loser franchise signing and trading for players that were available during the draft in prior years...

No plan ever.

Every team that signs or trades for players  other than first round draft choices could have drafted that player. That is a pretty weird argument. 

29 minutes ago, JiF said:

If it’s any consolation, if Pac is insulting you for taking that postion its almost like a free inside tip the Jets are going anything but a QB. 

This would be a really interesting experiment. Start with a $1000 stake, bet against literally everything Pac says, and see how long it takes you to get to a million. I’d say less than a year.

Walterfootball generally hates every Jets move. So far they have given postive grades for the Crowell/Johnson signing. 

Jets sign QB Teddy Bridgewater (1 year, $5 million): A+ Grade 
It was initially announced that Teddy Bridgewater could earn up to $15 million on his contract with the Jets, but there was no word on how much guaranteed money he'd receive. That information has just come out, and Bridgewater's base salary is just $5 million, meaning the other $10 million all happen to be tied up in incentives. 

With that in mind, I'm willing to give this signing an A+. I love this move. Everyone is focused on the Jets spending the sixth-overall selection on a quarterback, and they still could, but I personally would just go with Josh McCown and Bridgewater for 2018. The latter was once a very promising quarterback for the Vikings before his devastating injury a couple of years ago. There's a decent chance Bridgewater is 100 percent right now, or close to it, and if so, he could still emerge as a potential franchise signal-caller. With this quarterback class being a bit lackluster, Bridgewater might actually be the best option for the Jets as far as young players at the position are concerned. 

Read more: http://walterfootball.com/freeagentsigninggrades.php#ixzz59q8ielj7

16 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Walterfootball generally hates every Jets move. So far they have given postive grades for the Crowell/Johnson signing. 

It was initially announced that Teddy Bridgewater could earn up to $15 million on his contract with the Jets, but there was no word on how much guaranteed money he'd receive. That information has just come out, and Bridgewater's base salary is just $5 million, meaning the other $10 million all happen to be tied up in incentives. 

With that in mind, I'm willing to give this signing an A+. I love this move. Everyone is focused on the Jets spending the sixth-overall selection on a quarterback, and they still could, but I personally would just go with Josh McCown and Bridgewater for 2018. The latter was once a very promising quarterback for the Vikings before his devastating injury a couple of years ago. There's a decent chance Bridgewater is 100 percent right now, or close to it, and if so, he could still emerge as a potential franchise signal-caller. With this quarterback class being a bit lackluster, Bridgewater might actually be the best option for the Jets as far as young players at the position are concerned. 

I understand the incentive-laden deal.  Smart move for the Jets and I like seeing Teddy essentially betting on himself.  But why wouldn't the Jets include a team option for 2019?  Even if it were priced high (say $15M guaranteed) it would give the Jets some element of control if Teddy does return to his 100% self and looks like a franchise guy for the Jets.  Otherwise, their only option would seem to be a franchise tag.

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

I understand the incentive-laden deal.  Smart move for the Jets and I like seeing Teddy essentially betting on himself.  But why wouldn't the Jets include a team option for 2019?  Even if it were priced high (say $15M guaranteed) it would give the Jets some element of control if Teddy does return to his 100% self and looks like a franchise guy for the Jets.  Otherwise, their only option would seem to be a franchise tag.

Probably exactly because he was betting on himself and declined any options. Negotiations are a discussion between two parties. Not a cram down of what the Jets want.

The franchise Tag for a QB is closer to 20 million. So if Bridgewater is giving us a free test drive (5 million is practically free) he wants the chance at that 20 million per right away.

Like you said, Bridgewater is betting on himself and he rather get franchised in 2019 and 2020 rather than 2020 and 2021. Even if the year 2 option was 20 million, that would still delay Bridgewater's return to free agency by a year. 

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Probably exactly because he was betting on himself and declined any options. Negotiations are a discussion between two parties. Not a cram down of what the Jets want.

Of course, but the Jets gamesmanship here is to give the illusion of not being QB-desparate at #6.  Two one-year deals don't really do that IMO, but what do I know...

I think most people are forgetting that Bridgewater at a much younger age before his injury, was the same caliber of player that Kirk Cousins is.

- Accurate, high football IQ, few turnovers, great field vision, great pocket presence, not a big arm but enough to make all the throws, well-liked by teammates and coaches with good leadership.

- While the injury was brutal, Bridgewater’s game was not based on scrambling and mobility. He was a pocket passer to the truest sense.

- If his leg is healthy enough but never the same, his game shouldn’t change that much.

- No doubt some people reading this are already loading Cousins vs. Bridgewater stats. Spare your time.

Bridgewater’s career spans all of his rookie and sophmore years. Cousins was sitting, learning, and developing during this time, not leading his team down the field in the playoffs against the Legion of Boom, only to have your kicker miss a chip shot.

The Vikings with a lesser team for Bridgewater than the current Vikings team were Super Bowl contenders the year Bridgewater got hurt. Same as they will be now with Cousins.

Bridgewater absolutely could be a franchise quarterback if he is healthy enough and and continues to develop where he left off.

Does any of this mean I think we should pass on drafting a quarterback? Hell no.

If Teddy plays lights out this year and you have Mayfield or Rosen sitting in the wings, then you either sign Bridgewater to an extension during the season (or pre season if you like what you see in camp), or you tag him for 2019 and have 2 good qb’s on your roster until you absolutely have to choose which one you’re going to keep long term.

If he sucks, you lost nothing by signing him. It’s a great signing.

Of course, but the Jets gamesmanship here is to give the illusion of not being QB-desparate at #6.  Two one-year deals don't really do that IMO, but what do I know...

I wouldn't bet on Macc in a game of musical chairs. If he doesn't trade up he's gonna be walking away with Minkah.

28 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

well how about that...

45 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The reality is that the Jets moves, the Bills moves, the Broncos move, the Browns moves don't really change their needs for a future franchise QB. So I don't think it's gamesmanship, I just think it's having insurance plans in place. 

The Jets went 1 step further and got an insurance plan that is young enough and talented enough to possibly emerge as a franchise QB. In the end, all of these teams should be looking for a QB in this draft and everyone knows it.

Also remember that these teams may not LOVE 3 or 4 of these guys and may only love 1/2. If that's the case, there is always the possibility that the Jets/Bills/Broncos opt to take Nelson/Barkley/Chubb instead of Allen/Mayfield. 

On 3/15/2018 at 11:56 AM, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The reality is that the Jets moves, the Bills moves, the Broncos move, the Browns moves don't really change their needs for a future franchise QB. So I don't think it's gamesmanship, I just think it's having insurance plans in place. 

The Jets went 1 step further and got an insurance plan that is young enough and talented enough to possibly emerge as a franchise QB. In the end, all of these teams should be looking for a QB in this draft and everyone knows it.

Also remember that these teams may not LOVE 3 or 4 of these guys and may only love 1/2. If that's the case, there is always the possibility that the Jets/Bills/Broncos opt to take Nelson/Barkley/Chubb instead of Allen/Mayfield. 

If we are sitting at 6 and the best two options available are Allen and Nelson I might actually prefer Nelson. ?

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

If we are sitting at 6 and the best two options available are Allen and Nelson I might actually prefer Nelson. ?

I, legitimately, would rather roll with Teddy and Nelson than Josh Allen.

On 3/15/2018 at 2:02 PM, Adoni Beast said:

I think most people are forgetting that Bridgewater at a much younger age before his injury, was the same caliber of player that Kirk Cousins is.

By what metric?

Cousins is a 3-time 4,000+ Yard Passer, topping out at 4,917 (a hairs breath below a 5,000 yard season).

Bridgewater is a 1-time 3,200 Yard Passer.  His rookie year he didn't break 3,000.

Cousins averaged 27 passing TD's a year for the past three years.

Bridgewater averaged 14 TD's in his two years.

They do have similar turnover rates, both somewhat low, but Cousins is better and over far more throws than Teddy.

Cousins has never been materially hurt.

Bridgewater has missed 2+ years now to one of the worst non-contact injuries in NFL history.

So I have to ask what metric you're using to equate the two, because from where I sit one is a three-year-and-counting top-10 passing QB playing with one of the bottom 5 Defenses in the league, the other a guy who was carried by Adrian Peterson and his Defense (5th ranked) in his one decent year in 2015. 

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

By what metric?

Cousins is a 3-time 4,000+ Yard Passer, topping out at 4,917 (a hairs breath below a 5,000 yard season).

Bridgewater is a 1-time 3,200 Yard Passer.  His rookie year he didn't break 3,000.

Cousins averaged 27 passing TD's a year for the past three years.

Bridgewater averaged 14 TD's in his two years.

They do have similar turnover rates, both somewhat low, but Cousins is better and over far more throws than Teddy.

Cousins has never been materially hurt.

Bridgewater has missed 2+ years now to one of the worst non-contact injuries in NFL history.

So I have to ask what metric you're using to equate the two, because from where I sit one is a three-year-and-counting top-10 passing QB playing with one of the bottom 5 Defenses in the league, the other a guy who was carried by Adrian Peterson and his Defense (5th ranked) in his one decent year in 2015. 

Statistically the metric isn’t the same because there are different variables in each equation. Bridgewater’s stats are from his first 2 years in the league. Cousins had multiple seasons to sit and develop, with less responsibility at a younger age.

My “same caliber of player” comment was in reference to my belief that both guys when healthy and a good supporting cast are:

- Intelligent and accurate quarterbacks who have good pocket presence, vision of the field, throw with anticipation, don’t have the strongest arms but not noodles either.

- They are guys that can lead a good well-rounded to the super bowl, but neither one will never carry a team like Brady, Rogers, etc. 

- I would define both as franchise quarterbacks, who are not elite and are above average. That’s my opinion of both players at full strength. I think if Bridgewater never got hurt and continued his development these last 2 seasons, the Vikings would either have made or won the Super Bowl and would not be in th market for Cousins.

Archived